Florida's Stand your Ground law

Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 12:35 pm
@Baldimo,
I don't think anyone is asking zimmerman to be charged with a hate crime. They just want him charged with the murder of an unarmed teenager. Let him defend his actions before his peers. Some members of the jury might have the same opinions as Zim. and he could walk or not.
I also don't think everyone who has called someone an unsavory name should be charged with a hate crime. Lynching someone while dressed in robes is probably a hate crime, or dragging a person behind a speeding vehicle with a dixie flag on the bumper or beating a gay man to death just because he's gay may be.
Zimmerman stated he wasn't a racist. As people have pointed out, he called the young man a ******* coon. Most people, who aren't racist, would never use that term. Lots of racists kill people, doesn't make it a hate crime, just plain ol' murder tinged with their bitter hatred.. I'm not about to determine the difference, but there is most definitely a hateful aspect to it, non?
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 12:42 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

He also wasn't claiming self-defense. He was trying to rob people, not doing a neighborhood watch patrol. If he had claimed self-defense then he would have been released as well. Its what the law says.

Several people reported him using the term "cracker" which is a racist term for white people. Where is the consistency?

Where are the hate crime supporters in a case like this? Why wasn't race an issue here? Black people can't be racist?

First, what does this case have to do with the one being discussed here. Second, I don't believe what Zimmerman did was a hate crime and I've only heard cursory reference to the possibility of him being charged. I don't think it's likely.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 12:52 pm

It shud be the public policy -- nationwide -- embodied in explicit statute
that if a citizen kills a criminal in self defense,
he will not be afflicted by his own government for so doing.
He shud be fully immune from either civil or criminal litigation.
It was bad enuf that he had to put up with the attack in the first place.

That is GOOD LAW in Florida. It shud spread nationwide.
When an innocent victim defensively kills a robber, he shud be awarded a tax credit,
in recognition of valuable services rendered to the decent people.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:00 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
I don't think anyone is asking zimmerman to be charged with a hate crime. They just want him charged with the murder of an unarmed teenager. Let him defend his actions before his peers. Some members of the jury might have the same opinions as Zim. and he could walk or not.
I also don't think everyone who has called someone an unsavory name should be charged with a hate crime. Lynching someone while dressed in robes is probably a hate crime, or dragging a person behind a speeding vehicle with a dixie flag on the bumper or beating a gay man to death just because he's gay may be.
Zimmerman stated he wasn't a racist. As people have pointed out, he called the young man a ******* coon.
If he were going to assassinate him,
then does it seem likely that he 'd say that TO THE POLICE on the radio ????????

That indicates that the violence was unexpected.

David
Baldimo

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
It all about consistency. No mention of a hate crime anywhere in the article. The point is, that people are still claiming a "white guy" shot a "black kid". To our knowledge he said something I wouldn't say, and this turned into a racial case.
Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
This is the last time I will respond you. You are a waste of ******* time and energy. You have two ears, listen to the tape yourself.

An assassination is: "to murder (a usually prominent person) by a sudden and/or secret attack, often for political reasons."[1][2] Alternatively, assassination may be defined as "the act of deliberately killing someone, especially a public figure, usually for hire or for political reasons."
Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:05 pm
@Baldimo,
I think it speaks to the motive more than anything else.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:09 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

It all about consistency. No mention of a hate crime anywhere in the article. The point is, that people are still claiming a "white guy" shot a "black kid". To our knowledge he said something I wouldn't say, and this turned into a racial case.

I think it's much more than a "racial case". Race played a part, I think that's clear, but to me it's much more about justice. I don't understand the point of running around looking for cases where a black person did something bad and comparing it to this case. If, in your search, you find a case of a black kid shooting an unarmed white(ish) guy and not being charged, I'd be interested. Anything else is a diversion.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:10 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
This is the last time I will respond you.
O, my GOODNESS! I 'm not insured for that!

Ceili wrote:
You are a waste of ******* time and energy.
The feeling is mutual. I 'm not likely to ask u for a date.

Ceili wrote:
You have two ears, listen to the tape yourself.
I did.

Ceili wrote:
An assassination is: "to murder (a usually prominent person) by a sudden and/or secret attack, often for political reasons."[1][2] Alternatively, assassination may be defined as "the act of deliberately killing someone, especially a public figure, usually for hire or for political reasons."
I think we already know what it is, Ceili.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:16 pm
@FreeDuck,
Baldimo wrote:
It all about consistency. No mention of a hate crime anywhere in the article.
The point is, that people are still claiming a "white guy" shot a "black kid".
To our knowledge he said something I wouldn't say, and this turned into a racial case.
FreeDuck wrote:
I think it's much more than a "racial case".
Race played a part, I think that's clear, but to me it's much more about justice.
If a citizen falls victim to predatory violence,
then it is very unjust for him to be afflicted by civil or criminal litigation.
The Stand Your Ground Law protects us from that. Hooray!!!

( Insofar as race is concerned, it is worthy of note
that proportionately more blacks fall victim to predatory violence,
requiring their own self defense, than whites do. )

David
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 03:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
So according to u, the police have to arrest u when thay believe that u did nothing rong ??

I wonder what the reason for that is ?

The reason would be the warrant for the person's arrest.
panzade

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 06:54 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
but I'd be surprised if the police in each jurisdiction did not have a designated officer/lawyer who determines this as well.

I don't know.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 08:34 pm
In full because it is so good

The Gated Community Mentality

By RICH BENJAMIN

Published: March 29, 2012

Rich Benjamin is the author of “Searching for Whitopia: An Improbable Journey to the Heart of White America” and a senior fellow at Demos, a nonpartisan research center

Quote:
AS a black man who has been mugged at gunpoint by a black teenager late at night, I am not naïve: I know firsthand the awkward conundrums surrounding race, fear and crime. Trayvon Martin’s killing at the hands of George Zimmerman baffles this nation. While the youth’s supporters declare in solidarity “We are all Trayvon,” the question is raised, to what extent is the United States also all George Zimmerman?

Under assault, I didn’t dream of harming my teenage assailant, let alone taking his life.

Mr. Zimmerman reacted very differently, taking out his handgun and shooting the youth in cold blood.

What gives?

Welcome to gate-minded America.

From 2007 to 2009, I traveled 27,000 miles, living in predominantly white gated communities across this country to research a book. I threw myself into these communities with gusto — no Howard Johnson or Motel 6 for me. I borrowed or rented residents’ homes. From the red-rock canyons of southern Utah to the Waffle-House-pocked exurbs of north Georgia, I lived in gated communities as a black man, with a youthful style and face, to interview and observe residents.

The perverse, pervasive real-estate speak I heard in these communities champions a bunker mentality. Residents often expressed a fear of crime that was exaggerated beyond the actual criminal threat, as documented by their police department’s statistics. Since you can say “gated community” only so many times, developers hatched an array of Orwellian euphemisms to appease residents’ anxieties: “master-planned community,” “landscaped resort community,” “secluded intimate neighborhood.”

No matter the label, the product is the same: self-contained, conservative and overzealous in its demands for “safety.” Gated communities churn a vicious cycle by attracting like-minded residents who seek shelter from outsiders and whose physical seclusion then worsens paranoid groupthink against outsiders. These bunker communities remind me of those Matryoshka wooden dolls. A similar-object-within-a-similar-object serves as shelter; from community to subdivision to house, each unit relies on staggered forms of security and comfort, including town authorities, zoning practices, private security systems and personal firearms.

Residents’ palpable satisfaction with their communities’ virtue and their evident readiness to trumpet alarm at any given “threat” create a peculiar atmosphere — an unholy alliance of smugness and insecurity. In this us-versus-them mental landscape, them refers to new immigrants, blacks, young people, renters, non-property-owners and people perceived to be poor.

Mr. Zimmerman’s gated community, a 260-unit housing complex, sits in a racially mixed suburb of Orlando, Fla. Mr. Martin’s “suspicious” profile amounted to more than his black skin. He was profiled as young, loitering, non-property-owning and poor. Based on their actions, police officers clearly assumed Mr. Zimmerman was the private property owner and Mr. Martin the dangerous interloper. After all, why did the police treat Mr. Martin like a criminal, instead of Mr. Zimmerman, his assailant? Why was the black corpse tested for drugs and alcohol, but the living perpetrator wasn’t?

Across the United States, more than 10 million housing units are in gated communities, where access is “secured with walls or fences,” according to 2009 Census Bureau data. Roughly 10 percent of the occupied homes in this country are in gated communities, though that figure is misleadingly low because it doesn’t include temporarily vacant homes or second homes. Between 2001 and 2009, the United States saw a 53 percent growth in occupied housing units nestled in gated communities.

Another related trend contributed to this shooting: our increasingly privatized criminal justice system. The United States is becoming even more enamored with private ownership and decision making around policing, prisons and probation. Private companies champion private “security” services, alongside the private building and managing of prisons.

“Stand Your Ground” or “Shoot First” laws like Florida’s expand the so-called castle doctrine, which permits the use of deadly force for self-defense in one’s home, as long as the homeowner can prove deadly force was reasonable. Thirty-two states now permit expanded rights to self-defense.

In essence, laws nationwide sanction reckless vigilantism in the form of self-defense claims. A bunker mentality is codified by law.

Those reducing this tragedy to racism miss a more accurate and painful picture. Why is a child dead? The rise of “secure,” gated communities, private cops, private roads, private parks, private schools, private playgrounds — private, private, private —exacerbates biased treatment against the young, the colored and the presumably poor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/opinion/the-gated-community-mentality.html?_r=1&hpw

I am interested to see here the connection made between my hostility towards the utopia builders and my hostility towards gated communities. I had not before now put them together.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 10:16 pm
@DrewDad,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
So according to u, the police have to arrest u when thay believe that u did nothing rong ??

DrewDad wrote:
The reason would be the warrant for the person's arrest.
There was a warrant??? Which warrant was that??

David
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 10:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
you pull things outta your butt, why shouldn't he...?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 10:24 pm
@Rockhead,
U r saying that his "warrant" is on toilet paper ?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 10:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

In the case of mandatory arrest laws re domestic violence the reason is the assumption that men are most to blame but that the police who are more often men than women refuse to arrest the men because they empathize with the men. I dont believe that this theory has ever been proven but no matter, laws have been written to right the alleged wrong by forcing cops to arrest even when they dont think that they should. The assumption is that it will most often be men who are cuffed as a result of these laws.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm sure that in our nation's history, there have been cases where a police officer had to arrest someone whom he (or she) thought had done nothing wrong, because there was a warrant for the person's arrest.

You seem to be having difficulty tracking the conversation.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 01:41 am
@hawkeye10,

DAVID wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
In the case of mandatory arrest laws re domestic violence the reason is the assumption that men are most to blame but that the police who are more often men than women refuse to arrest the men because they empathize with the men. I dont believe that this theory has ever been proven but no matter, laws have been written to right the alleged wrong by forcing cops to arrest even when they dont think that they should. The assumption is that it will most often be men who are cuffed as a result of these laws.
I believe that the motivation in that
is concern of witness intimidation.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 01:45 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I'm sure that in our nation's history, there have been cases where a police officer
had to arrest someone whom he (or she) thought had done nothing wrong,
because there was a warrant for the person's arrest.
U expected the police to judge the merits of a pre-existing outstanding warrant????

DrewDad wrote:
You seem to be having difficulty tracking the conversation.
Yes. Its true. That 's a good point.
I was perplexed concerning the appearance of these "warrants".

Of course, if the prisoner were arrested
because of pre-existing warrants for something else,
then that is fully paradigmatic, but unrelated to the topic.

David
0 Replies