Florida's Stand your Ground law

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:58 am
@FreeDuck,
Right.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 12:28 pm
In Florida, you can chase a man down and stab him if he stole your car radio.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 02:02 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Actually, hawk, according to the news reports, the community is 30% black, and he was about 100 yards from the house he was returning too. You will also remember Zimmerman's "******* coons" comment on the tapes. Oh, yeah, it was racist.

A report I saw said that this gated community is not very inclusive of black...that it is outside the gates where blacks live, but I have not done research to see if this is true. Good policing looks for that which is out of place, and at this point I have no reason to question the following of this black man. How he ended up dead is a big question though, as I don't see any reasonable explaination for deadly force.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 02:58 pm
According to the Miami Herald the Sanford cops sought an arrest warrant

Quote:
A Sanford police incident report shows the case was categorized as "homicide/negligent manslaughter."

I don't understand why Sanford police chief Bill Lee saw it as a SYG case.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:03 pm
@panzade,
Because the conclusion was made that Zimmerman is a good guy who has been dilligently trying to make his community a better place by helping the cops. The authorities decided that he deserved a pass here. I don't think that I agree, but the logic is sound.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:06 pm
As the neighborhood watch captain, Zimmerman has a pretty good chance of knowing who lives in his gated community. From the facts of the case: this wasn't Trayvons neighborhood it was his dads’ girlfriend's neighborhood. So maybe he looked suspicious because he was walking around the gated community and Zimmerman didn't recognize him.

I like how he was pegged as a white guy right away and they ignored the fact that his mother is Hispanic. If Zimmerman were shot and killed would the media have said he was white or Hispanic? My guess is this, if he had been killed by a white guy the media would say he was Hispanic and ignored the fact that his father is white. It’s a sham and the race baiters have pushed it forward.
panzade

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The authorities decided that he deserved a pass here

If you mean Bill Lee was the "authorities", he wasn't in any position to "give a pass". And that's what started the whole screw up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:20 pm
Arrested or not, it's pretty much up to the district attorney whether to prosecute or not.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:30 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

So maybe he looked suspicious because he was walking around the gated community and Zimmerman didn't recognize him.

Maybe so. Any reason why he couldn't roll up alongside him and say "hey, I don't recognize you, are you new around here?" Or "hey you look lost, is everything ok?" There are a great many ways to determine whether someone you don't know is up to no good that don't involve chasing him with a loaded weapon.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:41 pm
@FreeDuck,
We don't know how he talked to Trayvon. He could have been nice and get hit anyways. This is what we don't know.
Ceili

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:43 pm
@Baldimo,
Do people in gated communities not have guests? or relatives? or parties? Do self-appointed neighbourhood watchers know everybodies business? Should they?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:45 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

We don't know how he talked to Trayvon. He could have been nice and get hit anyways. This is what we don't know.

I'm quite sure that you don't believe this, in your heart.

I know that the kid is dead, and if Zimmerman had just done what the police told him to do, the kid wouldn't be dead. At the end of the day it may be impossible to prove exactly what happened; but the conclusion that Zimmerman provoked a confrontation, in defiance of orders from police, led to the death of this kid. And if you listen to his voice on the tapes, he clearly had anger and loathing in him for the victim. He wasn't calmly 'doing his job.' He decided to become a vigilante and is using a terrible law, passed by a bunch of assholes in FL, to defend his vigilantism.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:46 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
We don't know how he talked to Trayvon. He could have been nice and get hit anyways.
This is what we don't know.
This is very true.

David
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:47 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

We know he followed him after Trayvon got scared and ran. The time to talk nice is before you get out of your truck and follow someone with loaded weapon. Not after.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 04:02 pm

If there have been burglaries in an area (gated or not)
there is value in some of the residents taking the time
to look around, to see if more burglaries r in the making.

( The police might dislike that, as thay overtly resented
the Guardian Angels in NY, deeming it unpaid competition. )

Everyone who wishes to be able to control predatory emergencies,
if thay occasionally arise, shud be sufficiently well armed to abide the event
(tho police tend to prefer abject helplessness in the victims).

Those residents who actively engage in watching their naborhoods
can freely use their Constitutional rights of freedom of speech
and of freedom of movement thru those areas to inquire
into odd events that attract their attention.

( I have never personally even considered doing this,
nor will I do so, for reasons of languor, personal comfort, laziness, & torpor.)

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 04:08 pm

I ADMIRE Florida. I really do. Its an AMERICAN place; very American!
Maybe I 'll move there.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 04:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

They also should observe another law "Thou shalt not kill"
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 04:16 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Arrested or not, it's pretty much up to the district attorney whether to prosecute or not.
Defendant looks like a winner, but he shud be subjected to the inconvenience nor expense of litigation.
(Maybe a good Florida criminal defense attorney woud do it pro bono.)

Anyway, Mr. Z need not be concerned with that.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 04:19 pm
@farmerman,
DAVID wrote:
farmerman wrote:
They also should observe another law "Thou shalt not kill"
I wonder whether Martin KILLED,
trying to snatch the gun from Z,
but doing it in a clumsy way that ended his life.

David
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 04:25 pm
The Guardian Angels are unarmed and they work with the police and follow their directions. They aren't vigilantes..