Florida's Stand your Ground law

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 02:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
actually you can find videos of drinving schools teaching it online. You end up going the other way while your pursuer is still going full speed in what is now the other direction. Bootleggers, who later became the first generation of NASCAR racers invented it to get away from the Feds. Worked great for them. Still does.
I was driving very slowly, looking for something on the right side of the road,
at the time, on a 1 way street. We both were abreast, at the same speed.
I'd be going the rong way on a 1 way street, if I did; that can bring bad luck.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 02:36 pm
well if you'd rather lawabidingly continue in the same direction and be shot, go ahead.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 02:40 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
well if you'd rather lawabidingly continue in the same direction and be shot, go ahead.
That already HAPPENED.
That was the reason that I drew my defensive gun.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 02:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
This has, as in other threads, become the all david all the time show.

That's a classic definition of a troll. The other people here keep feeding the troll by pursuing his idiotic scenarios further and further--witness the last several pages. It's made the thread pointless, and no longer worth reading.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 03:15 pm
@parados,
I dont carry a spare but I have to admit that I carry road insurance. Would a aluminum foil head cover protect me from asteroids?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 04:00 pm
@Setanta,
edgarblythe wrote:
This has, as in other threads, become the all david all the time show.
Setanta wrote:
That's a classic definition of a troll. The other people here keep feeding the troll by pursuing his idiotic scenarios further and further--witness the last several pages. It's made the thread pointless, and no longer worth reading.
How the hell does HE know???
He is supposed to have me on IGNORE,
as I have him likewise!

Damn u, that 's cheating, Ed!

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta's perpetual whine.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:26 pm
@JTT,
Does he give you troll status? If he dosent I will.
JTT

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 08:18 pm
@RABEL222,
You've never struck me as childish, Rabel, but it seems that's the case.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 08:48 pm
Leave you kids alone for a day and this thread goes to s**t
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 02:32 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
So try leaving your gun at home, David.
That sounds like bad advice, Jack; like recommending drunken driving:
it works out OK most of the time, but its still too risky.

MontereyJack wrote:
Most of us do it ALL THE TIME, and we don't fear the world.
That 's irresponsible & indecent to go around like that.
I did not "fear" the world, as u put it,
on the night when I was subjected to gunfire in my car,
but theoretically, the next shot coud have had fatal results,
regardless of my absence of emotion. There was that potential.

MontereyJack wrote:
Sounds to me like you've lived in fear of everything since you were eight,
U have that backward:
I armed myself because I felt ill-at-ease, in an unarmed condition
(tho I was in a quiet, wholesome environment).
I was invested with peace of mind, when I acquired my first .38 revolver.
I felt better years later, when I upgraded to a .44 special, in stainless steel mirror.

MontereyJack wrote:
and you have to carry a gun to cancel out that fear.
You need therapy, you don't need a gun.
Its true that don 't need any additional guns; I have enuf, for my security,
but that "fear" that u allege is only in your imagination.

David
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 03:46 am
Notwithstanding all the pretty legal acrobatics and entertaining gun nut histrionics, THIS is the hard, bottom line of this case - THIS is the crux of why Zimmerman is not in jail awaiting trial - THIS is the long and short of why we are so in a twist about arresting a man who pursued and ultimately shot an unarmed man...

http://newsone.com/files/2012/03/trayvon-martin-cartoon-640.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 10:36 am
@snood,
The problem with that argument is that one need only look inside our prisons to see the huge number of young black men in them to calculate that a young black man on a street in a hoody where blacks normally are not is likely up to no good. Zimmerman was not being racist...he was being logical.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 10:40 am
@hawkeye10,
Now, there's a racist comment if I've ever seen one.

Sometimes, I'm just, so glad, that I don't agree with you on much of anything, Hawk. Because you're a real dick, and it would be tough for me to have to agree politically with someone who is such a dick.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 10:43 am
@hawkeye10,
"Where blacks normally aren't..."

There were black people who lived in that neighborhood. By your logic the only place that blacks normally are is in prison. The fact that they are disproportionately represented in the prison population says as much or more about our justice system as it does about black people in general.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 10:48 am
Actually, hawk, according to the news reports, the community is 30% black, and he was about 100 yards from the house he was returning too. You will also remember Zimmerman's "******* coons" comment on the tapes. Oh, yeah, it was racist.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 10:49 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
.. young black man on a street in a hoody where blacks normally are not is likely up to no good...
I've read the other day a report about Harrison, Arkansas, where blacks normally aren't been seen since 1905/1909 ...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:19 am
@hawkeye10,
Really and other than the hood and the colour of his skin.. what other suspicious behavior did he exhibit? Was he casing out houses, running up to their windows to see the marvels he could steal? Was he hiding under trees looking to jump the unsuspecting? Nope, he was walking along, head down, talking on his phone.. he wasn't with a group of ruffians. He wasn't standing on a corner making comments to upset the ladies.
Logic dictates he was not up to anything but walking. Zimmerman was being racist, because where I come from it's not illegal to walk with a hood in the rain or be black. If that was the case it would be open season on the streets of Miami during any rainstorm or anywhere else racists with guns live.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:25 am
@FreeDuck,
plus I've read that his larger family is multi racial, and at least one black friend said he isn't a racist. Me, I think there is at least a racist component in the stereotype that was part of his getting out of that car, but I think the policeman wannabe thing is a key part of it. Of course, I still haven't heard the audio for low hearing reasons.

I've a personal discomfort with gated communities as such, for a lot of reasons, but know enough not to just think that the homeowners are all racists, that that's not the primary motive for living in one. But I apprehend that there is a fortress element involved in the very building of these communities and that that is an undertone for over the top neighborhood watch behavior. (Not that normal neighborhood watch isn't reasonable.)

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 11:48 am
@ossobuco,
I agree. I think the hate crime angle is a non-starter and the focus on race is a tad overblown. Still, if the black guy had the gun and the white-ish guy were dead, I think we can all imagine that an arrest would have been made regardless of what witnesses said.