Florida's Stand your Ground law

JTT

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I would suggest educating yourself before posting.

Good advice, Cy. You really ought to consider that yourself.
snood

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:01 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I never experienced racism until I moved to Florida. We have a neighborhood association and a neighborhood watch. I use to get the monthly newsletters emailed. I was tired of hearing everyone talk because they saw a suspicious African American person in the neighborhood, describing him and asking others to watch out for him and call the police.

I finally did a reply all to everyone on the mailing list and told them if they see a shaved headed Puerto Rican around my house not to call the police and report him, he’s just my husband.

They took me off their email list after that.

LOL
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 09:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
"The witness."

Never mind that there are multiple other witnesses who state that it was Trayvon calling for help.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:13 pm
@DrewDad,
If the facts dont fit your perception, than make up your own "facts".
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 01:18 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Described as 6' 2", 140 pounds. He was a beanpole. Have you any idea how thin you are if you're that tall and weigh that little. Zimmerman is pescribed as 200 pounds, that's half again as much as Trayvon. Older than Trayvon, considerably burlier than Trayvon, and with a gun. Trayvon had a bag of Skittles and a cellphone, on which he was talking to his girlfriend. He was where he had every right to be, and no one has said he was doing anything he shouldn't be doing, no one has come up with any suggestion there was anything needing immediate intervention, which Zimmerman had no training, authorization, or right for anyway. If he had sat in his car, as the cops told him to do, there would have been no murder. If there had been no guns at hand, there would have been no murder.
Just get rid of ALL the goddamned guns.
If, by some evil and unConstitutional miracle, that happened,
then people like ME woud make new ones as soon as possible.

Remember, handmade guns go earlier than Christopher Columbus.
That was without engineering blueprints, and without electric tools.
When Sam Colt invented the first revolvers, he did so on the basis
of finding out what works by experiment (after taking inspiration
from observation of ships' steering mechanism) with NO electricity, in the 1830s.
As of now, engineering plans are dispersed around the world and in cyberspace.
Maybe u aspire to miraculously rape the First Amendment along with the Second one ????
As we speak, I have an instructional manual qua building submachineguns,
published by Paladin Press, which publishes plans for many modern firearms. I 've never used it; yet.

( Of course, Julius Caesar is only 5O% as dead as Trayvon because Brutus had no gun.)

When I was a kid in Arizona, few of us needed more guns
than we already had for personal security, but gunsmithing
was a popular hobby, like working on old cars. I guess no one
actually NEEDS to make a ship in a bottle, but u do see them.
My own work was pretty bad, but functional. Other gunsmiths
were a lot better than I was. Even here in NY, the gunstores
sell the products of custom gunsmiths; sweet, very sweet
and esthetically beautiful, functional art.

From my perspective: robbing a man of his guns
is the same as a death sentence, in the discretion of future predators,
so that 's intolerable. Tell me, Jack, were u satisfied with the results
of the Prohibition in the 1920s against alcohol??? Was that your inspiration??
Are u satisfied now with how well the prohibition against marijuana has been,
because now no one can possibly get any marijuana, if he wants it?

Yeah, Jack tell us about how successful prohibitions have been.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 01:36 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
"The witness."

Never mind that there are multiple other witnesses who state that it was Trayvon calling for help.
It was attributed to decedent 's father,
that he denied that the voice on a 911 tape (calling for help) was that of his son.

David
DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 07:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Do you have a link?

Further, it seems to me that Trayvon, according to this law, had every right to beat the crap out of Zimmerman.

Zimmerman had no right to accost the kid, and was the aggressor.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 09:05 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

I was looking for other news about this case and came across this article:

http://www.examiner.com/charleston-conservative-in-charleston-sc/zimmerman-was-on-the-ground-being-punched-when-he-shot-trayvon-martin

I'm wondering how much of the information is true. Was this kid really 6'2"? Did a witness see Trayvon on top of Zimmerman punching him? Was there grass stains on Zimmermans back?

Maybe that's all true. Hell, I hope Trayvon got some hits in on him. None of that gives Zimmerman the right to shoot him. It's called "stand your ground" not "start some **** and when you start getting your ass kicked, shoot him". I don't know how tall the kid was but he weighed 140 lbs. If he was 6'2 that would be a very wiry kid and if he was kicking Zimmerman's 200 lb ass then more power to him.
Irishk

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 09:19 am
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
It's called "stand your ground"
I think anyone who has listened to all of the 911 tapes has to be angry and disgusted at that phrase by now. If one listens to, and studies them, it's pretty clear that Zimmerman had a plan all along to paint his victim as something he was not, starting with his first call. He should really be tried for premeditated murder.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 01:23 pm
Obama weighed in today in response to a question from a reporter on this, and the commentary on the right-wing side of the web in response has been nothing short of stunning and disgusting. There really is both a deep-seated hatred of Obama and a huge current of white racial resentment fueling the GOP right now.

Cycloptichorn
RABEL222

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 02:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
One can thank the NRA for most of this crap. As I understand it their the organization who wrote the main parts of the law for the conservative idiots who passed this its legal too kill whom ever you want for what ever reason you want. One more reason to do away with lobbyists and the idiot legislators who passed this right to commit murder law. If I was planning a trip to Flordia I sure as hell would cancel it today.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 02:32 pm
@JTT,
@ Cy and JTT: From the link posted by Cy I found this at the very top of the page.

Quote:
If murder is committed within the borders of a state, that state has jurisdiction. Similarly, if the crime is committed in the District of Columbia, the D.C Superior Court (the equivalent of a state court in the District) retains jurisdiction, though in some cases involving U.S. government property or personnel, the federal courts may have exclusive jurisdiction.[1] If the victim is a federal official, an ambassador, consul or other foreign official under the protection of the United States, or if the crime took place on federal property or involved crossing state lines, or in a manner that substantially affects interstate commerce or national security, then the federal government also has jurisdiction. If a crime is not committed within any state, then Federal jurisdiction is exclusive: examples include naval or U.S.-flagged merchant vessels in international waters and U.S. military bases worldwide. In addition, murder by a member of the United States military anywhere in the world is a violation of Article 118 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice and can result in a servicemember suspected of murder being tried by a general court-martial. In cases where a murder involves both state and federal jurisdiction, the offender can be tried and punished separately for each crime without raising issues of double jeopardy, unless the court believes that the new prosecution is merely a "sham" forwarded by the prior prosecutor.[2]

So I will ask again, why is the FBI involved. This crime didn't take place on federal land and Trayvon wasn't a federal officer, employee or an ambassador.

Don't get me wrong, if Zimmerman has done everything the media is accusing him of, then he should fry. The police did tell him to remain in his car and he decided on his own to follow Trayvon. I'm a gun owner myself and if I called the police about something and they tell me to stay put, I'm staying put. Their directions are usually for our safety so its wise to listen to them.

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 02:43 pm
@Baldimo,
I'm not entirely sure but I don't think they're taking over the murder case but rather assisting in the investigation into the police department? I could have that wrong.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 02:54 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
So I will ask again, why is the FBI involved. This crime didn't take place on federal land and Trayvon wasn't a federal officer, employee or an ambassador.

Maybe this will help you, B.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/civilrights/hate_crimes/overview

And this,

Quote:
Comprehend how the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution allows the federal courts to become involved in cases arising in state courts and how, subsequently, this allows the two systems to interact.

http://www.uscourts.gov/EducationalResources/FederalCourtBasics/CourtStructure/UnderstandingFederalAndStateCourts.aspx

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 02:59 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Do you have a link?
I think that came from Mr. Baldimo's link,
that was already posted. (I 'm not certain that it was from there.)

DrewDad wrote:
Further, it seems to me that Trayvon, according to this law,
had every right to beat the crap out of Zimmerman.
After Mr. Z went back to his car n sat there ??

DrewDad wrote:
Zimmerman had no right to accost the kid, and was the aggressor.
not if Mr. Z went back to his car n sat there
RABEL222

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:01 pm
The Lookout
Federal probe could hang on whether Trayvon Martin was targeted by race.
I wonder if the term coon is racist.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:05 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I wonder if the term coon is racist.

I don't.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Obama weighed in today in response to a question from a reporter on this, and the commentary on the right-wing side of the web in response has been nothing short of stunning and disgusting. There really is both a deep-seated hatred of Obama and a huge current of white racial resentment fueling the GOP right now.
Cycloptichorn
He is not worth the effort of hating.
I don't trouble myself.

David
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:10 pm
Glad to hear that, David. So you won't be all that upset when the rest of us return him for a well-deserved second term.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 03:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Glad to hear that, David. So you won't be all that upset when the rest of us return him for a well-deserved second term.
I doubt that will happen ("its the economy, stupid!"),
but its not worth getting emotional.
I remember the passion with which I hated the Kennedys,
how thay grossed me out on the news every nite in their anti-freedom philosophy
and their tacit support of communist slavery, their hypocrisy to the contrary notwithstanding.
( Their betrayal of the Cuban Freedom Fighters showed the world the REAL Kennedys. )
I used to think that eventually, because of them, communist tanks
woud come rolling down my street and I 'd have to put a round
into my mother 's head to rescue her from them, Kennedy's friends,
but that passion was not worth it; too heavy a burden, too much work.

We must put out the garbage; we need not hate the garbage.

David