@JTT,
haha that comic strip is more close to the truth. thx Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 01:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

RABEL222 wrote:

This is BS. Humans have free will and the power to control their instincts. It the difference between humans and the apes.

Sure, but demands that I not be true to myself quickly run out of legitimacy and become oppression. You might think that you can build a better human, but you have very limited rights to try to refashion me.

It all depends on what part of yourself you identify with more strongly. Instinct or intellect.
hawkeye10

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 02:55 pm
@RexRed,
There may be a good intellectual arguement for not following your heart, but I have never found one that convinces. I live and die following my soul. I do what I think is right, in the same way that I turned away frrom the dictates of that book the Bible towards Zen, because Zen advises me to ignore any advice that is found to be false by my life experiance.

I firmly believe that those of you who have been convinced to shut down your needs wants and desires are unhealthy chumps...half dead and ever ready to help your jailer put on the chains.
RABEL222

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 03:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Im not trying to change you. I am just saying that a human isent ruled by his emotions but his mind. People who let their emotions rule their life isent rational and isent useing his brain.
hawkeye10

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 03:23 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Im not trying to change you. I am just saying that a human isent ruled by his emotions but his mind. People who let their emotions rule their life isent rational and isent useing his brain.

Wise people use both their heart and their head. You are making the arguement that the intellect is superior and must be in charge, which means that you still have much to learn. Hopefully this is the ignorance of youth and not that of a life squandered.
Rickoshay75

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 04:16 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

This is BS. Humans have free will and the power to control their instincts. It the difference between humans and the apes.

Free will has been dismissed years ago by logical reasoning. Where were you?

Simply put, what you chose the first time, for whatever reason, keeps being repeated over and over again with variations throughout your lifetime, so the continuation is not free will as such, more like conditioned reflex

BTW, the fact that we have uncontrollable drunks, potheads, gamblers, liars, and criminals shoots down your power to control their instincts theory.
RexRed

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 05:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

There may be a good intellectual arguement for not following your heart, but I have never found one that convinces. I live and die following my soul. I do what I think is right, in the same way that I turned away frrom the dictates of that book the Bible towards Zen, because Zen advises me to ignore any advice that is found to be false by my life experiance.

I firmly believe that those of you who have been convinced to shut down your needs wants and desires are unhealthy chumps...half dead and ever ready to help your jailer put on the chains.
Civility is not a prison it is a common courtesy. When common courtesy is not obeyed the conscience becomes the jailer.
0 Replies

RexRed

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 05:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

RABEL222 wrote:

Wise people use both their heart and their head. You are making the arguement that the intellect is superior and must be in charge, which means that you still have much to learn. Hopefully this is the ignorance of youth and not that of a life squandered.

Both instinct and intellect are necessary for proper decision making otherwise they would never have survived evolution. As we age we become less instinctive allowing higher learning to prevail.
hawkeye10

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 06:05 pm
@RexRed,
That is what you Christians always say....first we are animals, then we find God and rise above all that. I am not convinced, I naver feel closer to my maker than I do when I am having monkey sex.
Rockhead

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 06:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
but how does the monkey feel about it?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have already posted what I think of your intelligence on another site so I wont comment on it any more.
RABEL222

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:36 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Just your opinion or can you give me sites that prove your assertions.
JTT

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 08:20 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
... can you give me sites that prove your assertions.

As soon as that happens Rabel will plug his ears and start chanting num-num-num-num-num and then run for cover.
hawkeye10

Tue 27 Mar, 2012 10:06 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I have already posted what I think of your intelligence on another site so I wont comment on it any more.

On another site hum.....I am not sure how I should take that. Am I to be flattered that people are talking about me on places other than A2K?? Too bad I am Zen and of very little ego.
0 Replies

RexRed

Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:27 pm
“Women As Livestock” Bill Passes in Georgia

http://inthesetimes.com/duly-noted/entry/12978/women_as_livestock_bill_passes_in_georgia/
0 Replies

RABEL222

Mon 2 Apr, 2012 07:03 pm
@JTT,
You know JTT. I have noticed that if a person agrees with something you post they become your best buddy untill you post some stupid **** that they cant possibly agree with at which point they become the stupidest prick on this site. Would you say its you rather than everyone else?
JTT

Mon 2 Apr, 2012 07:58 pm
@RABEL222,
You know, Rabel, if you had any cojones, you'd address those issues at the appropriate time and place.
RABEL222

Tue 3 Apr, 2012 11:48 am
@JTT,
So you agree that I've got it right?
RexRed

Tue 3 Apr, 2012 01:53 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

So you agree that I've got it right?
Not to throw this topic off subject but I used to think I was "right" all the time. Back when I used to have my head stuck in the bible. Now I don't measure my standards by what the good book says but I live by how I feel in my heart. So many things that I used to think I was right about now I have to rethink my stance on many matters. So what makes someone right when everyone else is wrong? Well putting a lot of thought into a topic can make one more informed. I know science has a rigorous testing and analytic practice but on matters of standards and right behavior, who is right and why? I can't say I am right because I read it in that such and such book, I have to say I am right because it feels right and the book is wrong.

We ultimately have to have the freedom decide for ourselves what is right and wrong.

Does the heart know better than the mind? Since our thoughts are made up of chemical processes one wonders how the influence of these chemicals produce thoughts that are always right?

A man produces high levels of testosterone becomes aggressive and has to think right in the foggy haze of these chemicals, as a woman produces estrogen and has to think right in the midst of this soup of chemicals.

These chemicals actually are our thoughts. So what sets the standard, these chemicals or a social code of ethical behavior? Who decides this social code?

Is there a schoolmaster that leads us to reason or are we on our own?

Maybe it has nothing to do with chemicals but it has to do with good old fashioned "experience". Some people have experienced life in ways that makes them insightful. Being insightful is one step closer to being right.

Being right is a progression of social liberties and thought all set forth as a dynamic standard so as to produce unity in the masses...
RABEL222

Tue 3 Apr, 2012 08:43 pm
@RexRed,
Well Rex the only parts of your post I will address are the testosterone and bible part. At the age of 76 I dont produce enough to cause me to fight and as for the bible I have never accepted the premise that every word of it is absolutely true. It is a verbal record writen thousands of years after the fact. Over that much time facts can be taken out of context and misstated. And I dont think I am always right, just this time.
0 Replies