Can we just !/$$!?$?! leave now?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 08:04 pm
@rosborne979,
The spider is money, most already spent. Zillions lined up.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
who gives a fark?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 08:20 pm
@Ragman,
Us in the u.s. should.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 08:21 pm
@IRFRANK,
I'd prefer a legitimate trial.

I know that is almost a comedic wish, but it is sincere.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 08:59 pm
@rosborne979,
From my vantage point, I see both administrations making the wrong decisions. The first one in attacking Iraq was illegal by international standards based on GW Bush's WMD's.
From Wiki.
Quote:
The legality of the invasion of Iraq has been challenged since its inception on a number of fronts, and several prominent supporters of the invasion in all the invading nations have publicly and privately cast doubt on its legality. It is argued that the invasion was fully legal because authorization was implied by the United Nations Security Council.[95][96] International legal experts, including the International Commission of Jurists, a group of 31 leading Canadian law professors, and the U.S.-based Lawyers Committee on Nuclear Policy, have denounced both of these rationales.[97][98][99]
Even the UN Secretary General said the invasion was illegal.

Again from Wiki.
Quote:
On September 16, 2004 Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan, speaking on the invasion, said, "I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN Charter. From our point of view, from the charter point of view, it was illegal."[1]

Going into Afghanistan was also illegal based on the fact that the Taliban are not from that country.
From Wiki.
Quote:
Opposition to the decade-long Afghanistan war stems from numerous factors – these include the view that the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan was illegal under international law and constituted an unjustified aggression, the view that the continued military presence constitutes a foreign military occupation, the view that the war does little to prevent terrorism but increases its likelihood, and views on the involvement of geo-political and corporate interests. Also giving rise to oppposition to the war are the high level of civilian casualties, the cost to taxpayers, the decades of war inflicted on Afghans, the length of the war to date, and the estimates by many that it could last for many more decades.

We recently "left" Iraq, and they're back to suicide bombings, and now killing of gays and lesbians, with conflicts between the old factions that has been ongoing for a thousand years.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 10:52 pm
@ossobuco,
My comment referred to using the word ****.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 10:56 pm
@Ragman,
And so did mine. People fricking and other futzing, farking, are too cute to bear. It about kills me to see Frank tootsieing. Gimme a break.

Be elegant and avoid expletives, but if you want to use one, selectively, once in a while, do not tip toe. Otherwise you sound silly.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:12 pm
@ossobuco,
.... but I AM ******* silly. there's no tiptoeing around it.

I like the sound of the word fark!
FARK!
FARK!

I fark in the park after dark on a lark!

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:17 pm
@Ragman,
OK, you're good..

edit, I saw that later.
Grrrrrr.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Alma Gluck-- Hark! Hark! The Lark
http://youtu.be/EL_j-B4tGzk
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:27 pm
@Ragman,
That's fairly convincing.. if you like joy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:24 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Two very different administrations both chose to stay in Afghanistan. We can assume they both weighed the pros and cons of that action and seemingly arrived at the same conclusion.

Not really -- one decided to go in, and the other has been trying to get us out.

It's not a quick process.

Or -- it's not a process that can be done both quickly and well.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:18 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

The spider is money, most already spent. Zillions lined up.
Oil and Money are interchangeable in this context.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:08 pm
Some talking heads were discussing the increased call for an earlier pullout from Afghanistan. One mentioned that the timeline is more related to the future stability of Pakistan than with the training of the Afghan forces.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:15 pm
@JPB,
Some California congress members signed a petition to get out of Afghanistan soon.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's even dumber than stupid!

Really, CI. Why not explain how what Beth said is either dumb or stupid?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:19 pm
@JPB,
Well, that's another ten years if it would work and it likely wouldn't.
This has been a tribal country about forever. Who do we think we are?
roger

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I just may be wrong, but I don't believe we have, or will have significant influence on Pakistan's stability. I could stand some costs if I thought there were any reasonable chance of benefits.
JPB

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:00 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Why would you want to see a terrorist action committed by your government, JPB?

I don't see it as a terrorist action, then, or now. Why did I endorse going in? It was the dumb hope that those who saw us as liberators (there were many, then) would be liberated from their oppressors (wishful thinking) while we sought out OBL, et al (the true goal). There are many there who welcomed us at the time. We shouldn't have outstayed our welcome. I'm still reading about people who fear our departure as much as they're dismayed at out presence.
JTT wrote:
It is a war crime to illegally invade another country. It is the supreme war crime. It is one of two in the last, roughly, ten years that the US government, your government has engaged in.

Bullshit, in the case of Afghanistan. Welcome to the new age of the definition of war. I'll grant you the charge in Iraq.

JTT wrote:
It has caused unbelievable harm to millions of people, innocent people, people who have done nothing, not a ******* thing to the US, certainly not to you

True.

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
... do not tip toe. Otherwise you sound silly.

That's what y'all do all the fuckin' time, Osso. And you really sound so silly, not to mention stupendously hypocritical.

Stark war crimes, terrorism with no comparison, euphemism after euphemism, and to make matters worse, the worst, the whole time it's a huge collective lament about how these war crimes are making it tough on America.

As Noam Chomsky says, "Everybody’s worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there’s a really easy way: stop participating in it."