Can we just !/$$!?$?! leave now?

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 03:24 pm
@ossobuco,
So does that mean you are against capital punishment?

I saw him as a war criminal, a self proclaimed one, not a leader.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 03:53 pm
@Ragman,
The bigger problem is the fact that no exit strategy or time frame was stated when we got involved in Afghanistan in the first place.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 03:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hard to have an exit strategy when you don't have a thought-out plan going in.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 04:45 pm
@ehBeth,
That's what I mean. Their planning for war is lacking, because they don't know how long or how much the war(s) will end up costing. Without an exit strategy, they can stay for all the foolish reasons they come up with year-after-year. They don't see the forest for the trees.
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 06:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Obama says that this event is taken as seriously as if our own citizens were murdered, our own children killed. If this thread is any indication, any sane person would simply say, "Yeah right."

Of course, I haven't been all the way to the end of the thread - maybe there is actually someone who expresses some compassion.

[CJ did mention, (a reminder?) that the people who died were Afghans.]

If this had been US citizens, there would be all manner of weeping and gnashing of teeth, replete with numerous cries for vengeance.

But again, it's all about the US, us us us, poor poor pitiful us.

Quote:
After 9/11, the US announce[sic] that if national governments support terrorist attacks against the US they will be considered terrorists and subject to the same counter-attacks.

Major hypocritical nonsense. There is no one that comes anywhere close to perpetrating terrorism around the world like the US. And the funny thing is, y'all know this and still, us us us.

Absolutely sickening!

Quote:
(For some reason this doctrine has never been applied to Iran or Pakistan)

Because that's not the reason, Finn. You really are such an empty headed ****!

The reason, again, and y'all know this too, is to position the US to grab the wealth of another country.

Quote:
The Taliban were given every opportunity to turn bin-Laden and his men over to us and they refused,

Another lie from Finn d'Liar.

I'll read with interest, the remainder of the posts to see if any of you honest Americans took Finn to task for this lie.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 06:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
That combined with the force of our culture will destroy them in time.

'culture', that's pretty rich, Cy. A Potemkin village propped up by relentless propaganda.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 06:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What I was getting at was that most of the political yahoos in the West didn't understand what they were doing when they went into Afghanistan.

They didn't accept the professional advice that nothing good could come of it.

There was no entrance strategy. Forget about having an exit strategy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:27 pm
@ehBeth,
That's even dumber than stupid!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I didn't want us there in the first place, even chasing Bin Laden. I think every minute of all these wars brings us more hate, a stackup of hate. I think defense spending should be for defense, not aggression.

This doesn't mean that I don't understand soldiers and support them, and I somewhat understand generals and their tactics. I just have a different view of what is useful for us to do.

I'd like to see us fix our own bridges.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:36 pm
@wandeljw,
I did not.
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:40 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
I endorsed going in, removing the Taliban,

Why would you want to see a terrorist action committed by your government, JPB? It is a war crime to illegally invade another country. It is the supreme war crime. It is one of two in the last, roughly, ten years that the US government, your government has engaged in.

It has caused unbelievable harm to millions of people, innocent people, people who have done nothing, not a ******* thing to the US, certainly not to you.

Quote:
Afghanistan: The Other Illegal War

Marjorie Kohn

The U.S. invasion of Afghanistan was every bit as illegal as the invasion of Iraq. Why, then, do so many Americans see it as justifiable?
August 1, 2008 |

Although the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan was as illegal as the invasion of Iraq, many Americans see it as a justifiable response to the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and the casualties in that war have been lower than those in Iraq -- so far. Practically no one in the United States is currently questioning the legality or propriety of U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan. The cover of Time magazine calls it "The Right War."

The U.N. Charter provides that all member states must settle their international disputes by peaceful means, and no nation can use military force except in self-defense or when authorized by the Security Council. After the 9/11 attacks, the council passed two resolutions, neither of which authorized the use of military force in Afghanistan. Resolutions 1368 and 1373 condemned the Sept. 11 attacks and ordered the freezing of assets; the criminalizing of terrorist activity; the prevention of the commission of and support for terrorist attacks; and the taking of necessary steps to prevent the commission of terrorist activity, including the sharing of information. In addition, it urged ratification and enforcement of the international conventions against terrorism.

The invasion of Afghanistan was not legitimate self-defense under article 51 of the charter because the attacks on Sept. 11 were criminal attacks, not "armed attacks" by another country. Afghanistan did not attack the United States. In fact, 15 of the 19 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia. Furthermore, there was not an imminent threat of an armed attack on the United States after Sept. 11, or Bush would not have waited three weeks before initiating his October 2001 bombing campaign. The necessity for self-defense must be "instant, overwhelming, leaving no choice of means, and no moment for deliberation." This classic principle of self-defense in international law has been affirmed by the Nuremberg Tribunal and the U.N. General Assembly.

Bush's justification for attacking Afghanistan was that it was harboring Osama bin Laden and training terrorists. Iranians could have made the same argument to attack the United States after they overthrew the vicious Shah Reza Pahlavi in 1979 and he was given safe haven in the United States. The people in Latin American countries whose dictators were trained in torture techniques at the School of the Americas could likewise have attacked the torture training facility in Fort Benning, Ga., under that specious rationale. Those who conspired to hijack airplanes and kill thousands of people on 9/11 are guilty of crimes against humanity. They must be identified and brought to justice in accordance with the law. But retaliation by invading Afghanistan is not the answer and will only lead to the deaths of more of our troops and Afghans.

http://www.alternet.org/world/93473/afghanistan:_the_other_illegal_war/?page=entire
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:41 pm
@Ragman,
Why don't any of you say the word '****'?
You sound like petunias when you come up with similations.
I'll admit it is an overused word, best cossited.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:43 pm
@RABEL222,
I agree with you,
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
that firkin bothers me too.

but I'm not a petunia. more of a porky, actually...
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:46 pm
@IRFRANK,
I'm a fan of due process, however cynical I am, rather largely. Assassination cuts that out.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
You wrote,
Quote:
I'd like to see us fix our own bridges.

The solutions are so simple; why can't our politicians see these simple truths?

Our roads and bridges are crumbling, and we go half way around the world to destroy their infrastructure, then help them rebuild new ones.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Too late to edit. I saw us as invading again.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:56 pm
Two very different administrations both chose to stay in Afghanistan. We can assume they both weighed the pros and cons of that action and seemingly arrived at the same conclusion.

If we read between the lines it seems clear that there is a very strong strategic requirement associated with that region which prevents our departure.

I don't know exactly how the web it tangled, but the spider at it's center is certainly OIL.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 07:59 pm
@Rockhead,
Are you talking bacon?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 08:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, like, duh.
Seems obvious to those who are with me and you.
0 Replies