Can we just !/$$!?$?! leave now?

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:56 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
We can debate forever whether we should be there. You'll be hard pressed to convince many Americans that our entry there was anything other than a response to a declaration of war against the US with the full backing of the Taliban - the ruling gov't of Afghanistan at the time.

Americans who are honest, who look at the facts, who deal with the actual realities, JPB, come to the same conclusion that I have. Of course there are untold numbers who have been willing to give the US pass after pass after pass for the myriad illegal invasions over the years.

But this one was a complete war crime. OBL wasn't even indicted by the FBI, yet he was for other instances. The US made OBL and they made the Taliban.

So far you haven't offered any "reasons" for the invasion. There was no invasion for the other attacks, OBL was there in Afghanistan.

Additionally, for an invasion to be legal, there has to be a substantial and pressing threat. There was no ongoing threat to the US.

And again, the Taliban made a number of overtures to the US for the surrender of OBL. How could there have been "the full backing of the Taliban" when they had offered to give up OBL to Bill Clinton.

OBL wasn't the reason, OBL was the excuse and there's no excuse for the illegal invasion of a sovereign nation, the slaughter of tens of thousands of innocents just because the US got a little smack upside the head.

Why do tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands or millions have to die to appease Americans?

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:59 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Afghanistan (I didn't support the invasion from the word "go" though I know others did), Iraq, Vietnam .....

But really, the point I was trying to make, it's the attitude to "US allies" on threads like this which kinda offends .....

Many of you treat these US-initiated wars as if they were almost entirely about US internal politics & little else.

I agree with ya about Iraq and Vietnam. Both mistakes brought on by flawed views of the world, and both ended tragically.

Pretty much everyone supported the war in Afghanistan at the time, so I can't agree with ya there.

These wars weren't entirely about US internal politics, but hey - they are and were MOSTLY about internal US politics. You can't discuss them in depth without talking about those who started them (the US), those who funded them (the US), those who made most of the errors (the US) and those who take the blame (the US).

Cycloptichorn
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo,
the point is - you don't know where Bin Laden was after 9/11, the U.S. didn't know nor do I. I gave the NYTimes article as they cited he fled to Pakistan
after the U.S. invaded Afghanistan.

Now read a bit of foreign press - this one is from the guardian, written in
October of 2001.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/oct/14/afghanistan.terrorism5

What do you make of this? Bush could have ended the war right then and there...
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks for acknowledging my post, in the middle of all this, Cyclo. Wink
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
But they would not surrender Bin Laden, or something to that effect.

See how effective the American propaganda stream is.

"or something to that effect", Edgar?

Doncha think that it might be a good idea for Americans to actually understand the situation, actually possess the facts, before they let their government slaughter a bunch of innocents.

Quote:
NOVEMBER 01, 2004

Give Him an "F" in the War on Terror

How Bush Was Offered Bin Laden and Blew It

by ALEXANDER COCKBURN And JEFFREY ST. CLAIR

George Bush, the man whose prime campaign plank has been his ability to wage war on terror, could have had Osama bin Laden’s head handed to him on a platter on his very first day in office, and the offer held good until February 2 of 2002. This is the charge leveled by an Afghan American who had been retained by the US government as an intermediary between the Taliban and both the Clinton and Bush administrations.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2004/11/01/how-bush-was-offered-bin-laden-and-blew-it/
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Cyclo,
the point is - you don't know where Bin Laden was after 9/11, the U.S. didn't know nor do I. I gave the NYTimes article as they cited he fled to Pakistan
after the U.S. invaded Afghanistan.

Now read a bit of foreign press - this one is from the guardian, written in
October of 2001.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/oct/14/afghanistan.terrorism5

What do you make of this? Bush could have ended the war right then and there...

Um, we had already invaded by then. You can't say that Bush invaded AFTER he knew Bin Laden was gone, but wanted to do it anyway - which you did say a few pages back - and then point to an article written a week after the invasion as proof that we never should have done it in the first place. You are shifting your rhetoric in the middle of your argument. Not a sign of a strong argument.

Let's look at the article in greater depth:

Quote:
Returning to the White House after a weekend at Camp David, the president said the bombing would not stop, unless the ruling Taliban "turn [bin Laden] over, turn his cohorts over, turn any hostages they hold over." He added, "There's no need to discuss innocence or guilt. We know he's guilty". In Jalalabad, deputy prime minister Haji Abdul Kabir - the third most powerful figure in the ruling Taliban regime - told reporters that the Taliban would require evidence that Bin Laden was behind the September 11 terrorist attacks in the US, but added: "we would be ready to hand him over to a third country".

They did NOT offer to hand Bin Laden over to us. They demanded evidence that he had done it - without really stating what that evidence was, who knows what they would have accepted? - and then said they would give him to an unnamed third country. That's not the same thing as what you were saying and it's highly unlikely that AQ would have just calmly handed the guy over either. C'mon!

We gave them repeated opportunities to hand Bin Laden and Al Qaeda over for weeks before we invaded. We contacted them diplomatically and offered to not invade if they would just give him up. They repeatedly told us to **** off. You cannot seem to admit the simple fact that until we actually attacked them, there was no willingness to give up the terrorists who attacked us - at all. Their leaders were on television loudly denouncing the entire thing as a Jewish plot to get them in trouble.

Quote:
Afghanistan's deputy prime minister, Haji Abdul Kabir, told reporters that the Taliban would require evidence that Bin Laden was behind the September 11 terrorist attacks in the US.

"If the Taliban is given evidence that Osama bin Laden is involved" and the bombing campaign stopped, "we would be ready to hand him over to a third country", Mr Kabir added.

But it would have to be a state that would never "come under pressure from the United States", he said.

Right. What the hell does this even mean? It isn't as cut-and-dry as you are making it out to be.

Quote:

Threats of new terrorist strikes against Britain and the US from Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida group amount to an admission of guilt for the September 11 attacks, the deputy prime minister, John Prescott, said today.

Mr Prescott, speaking while on a diplomatic mission in Moscow, argued that the latest statement from al-Qaida strongly suggested Bin Laden's culpability for last month's attacks on New York and Washington.

"What I have heard about the message given ... is basically confirming, I think, the guilt of Bin Laden, who has made it clear that he wants to continue these actions," he told BBC1's Breakfast with Frost programme this morning.

The British clearly agreed with us. It wasn't just US Cowboy-ism.

Regarding 'foreign press,' you speak about me and what I do with no knowledge whatsoever. I read a tremendous amount of political and international news on a daily basis. I read the Guardian and the Telegraph every single day. I read Der Speigel every single day. I read the English edition of Ashai Shimbun, you guessed it, every single day. Politics and economics is my passion and I daresay I read more about world issues and events than any other person I've ever met. So, please - don't lecture me as if I'm some hick American living in Kansas who doesn't know what the **** I'm talking about.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:14 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
And this is more bullshit. I'm no more deluded than you are about what you perceive as propaganda and truth.

You know that to be false, JPB, because all you have offered is that the US had "reasons". You haven't discussed those reasons.

What I offered was the process that a country must go thru in order to attack another nation. The US did not go thru that process. The US contravened the very laws that they set up after WWII, [ex post facto laws we should note] and then proceeded to indict, try and hang numerous Germans and Japanese for breaking these laws.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That's due to the big lie, Cy, and you know that. The US has never been the White Hat that it's been made out to be. Numerous folks have declined to offer up even one instance where that is true.

Odd that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:32 pm
@msolga,
I don't think that, msolga, but I think we were the primary decision people.
My father was against it early, maybe '63. I think Dys was there early, others may remember more exactly when he was there.. My boss at one point, an md who is a med thriller writer, told me about caskets he didn't expect to see at Tan Son Nhat. Which I remember as Tan Son Nhut. Must be my ears.

A book worth reading, that I've just finished, by a guy that may differ from me politically - never mind that, he's a thorough writer: Up Country, by Nelson deMille.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
and we have had a history of coming to the aid of nations who need it - both in terms of financial largesse and aid (nobody gives away nearly as much in foreign aid as we do) and in military terms (ask, say, Libyans, if they like us or not).

That's a falsehood. The US is constantly at the bottom or near the bottom of the list for first world countries. Jimmy Carter said it - "the US is the stingiest country in the world".

Most of the US's aid is military aid. It's done of course, to enrich US business interests. The US is also one of the worst in that it gives, tied aid, the aid comes with all sorts of rules whereby the country must purchase US products.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:36 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
The idea of the US riding in on a big white stallion saving the day, is from a bygone era.

It was as much of a myth then as it is now, Ceili.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:39 pm
@izzythepush,
I have extended family who were imprisoned in Sierra Leone in that time.

I knew them as small boys but they were older then in this scourge time.. No way I can say I know them at this point. They seem to be working my niece. However, last thing I would want is for them to go through terror.
I remember a lot of atrocities there.

I'm not usually interventionist with our feet.
that time... these are my nephews. Boiiing.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
We invaded Afghansitan b/c the sons-of-bitches who ran the place were defending terrorists who attacked us; when we asked them to turn the guys over for justice, they very famously and loudly told us to **** off.

These bald faced lies just pop out all the time.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:42 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
and we have had a history of coming to the aid of nations who need it - both in terms of financial largesse and aid (nobody gives away nearly as much in foreign aid as we do) and in military terms (ask, say, Libyans, if they like us or not).

That's a falsehood. The US is constantly at the bottom or near the bottom of the list for first world countries. Jimmy Carter said it - "the US is the stingiest country in the world".

This is from the OECD study of foreign aid handed out -

http://webnet.oecd.org/oda2010/

Here's the fact sheet to back it up -

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/54/41/47515917.pdf

You will note that the US gave out almost three times as much in foreign aid as any other country did.

You are a ******* idiot, JTT. As if everyone didn't know that already. You, Canadian, are wrong about every single thing you write about America. None of us know what your ******* problem is, but you're a waste of a person and nothing more than a troll.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
Hear, hear!

Hear, hear!

Hear, hear!

Hear, hear!

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
We had no solid information as to where he had gone after Tora Bora. I could care less what the NYT reported. Not only that, but the battle of Tora Bora took place from December 12-15, 2001 - over two months after the date of our invasion.

Cy: This is what we were looking for.

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/nether_fictoid3.htm
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Sierra Leone is one place on Eath where Blair will always be hailed as a hero.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
For any German to be making such statements about America, well. I don't really have to go any further, do I?

Oh yes, you do, Cy. You have to go much much farther. The US has been doing what Germany did in WWII for well over a century. The facts are there, clear as a bell. You don't have the mental capacity to address them, caught up as you are in the propaganda.

CJ is being very honest. She has accepted the carnage wrought by both of her countries in a highly honest manner.

You owe her a big apology and you need to stop being a big apologist for war criminals and terrorists.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:56 pm
@JTT,
It's not so much what America is doing, as much as what big business is getting America to do on its behalf.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 07:59 pm
@izzythepush,
That's nonsensical, Izzy. The government is the fount of all laws.
0 Replies