How did waste management/treatment people and racketeers in NYC make money with garbage?

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:58 pm
I was watching a documentary series on satelite TV called Trashopolis, and I was watching the NY episode. I didn't see the whole series, but I wanted to know how did waste management/treatment people and racketeers in NYC make money with garbage? They mentioned that in the series but I missed that. I would like some help with this - please help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,054 • Replies: 201

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:07 pm
Is anyone here a historian and can please help me with this?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:20 pm
My mother saw the program and said they turned the trash into something but what? I missed that part of the program. Why would that have been considered a criminal endeavor? Please help.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:31 pm
Jeez, Jason, just how much hand-holding do you expect from us. Ever heard of Google? I googled "Trashopolis" and it took two minutes to find a youTube video clip from the program talking about the Mafia taking over private trash-hauling in NYC. With that hint, I leave you to find it for yourself. Maroon.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
ditto
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
My name is GOLDMAN. Thank you for that. I wasn't expecting anyone to "hold my hand" - I didn't know where to look. Neutral
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:36 pm
I just found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Malangone

I am going to look up "trash hauling cartels".
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:45 pm
<sigh, why do I keep getting involved in these things?>

that sounds promising, Jason. Try googling "mafia trash-hauling in New York". See how you can do this yourself?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
Stop calling me "Jason".

Did you not read my previous comment?:

http://able2know.org/topic/180252-1#post-4799566
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:51 pm
Did you not read "That sounds promising"?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:51 pm
I just read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/07/30/business/the-garbage-wars-cracking-the-cartel.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

The better question is how did trash hauling cartels make money?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:54 pm
Did you watch the video?
It answers that in two minutes and four seconds.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:57 pm
Here's the URL. Come back here in two minutes and four seconds and tell me you can comprehend clear journalism.

http://www.tv.com/shows/trashopolis/clips/trashopolis-waste-disposal-means-mafia-10563413/
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:15 pm
This video explains how racketeers made money with garbage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaDVK-aRd18

It doesn't explain how waste management people made a fortune. I will have to go the Trashopolis site and watch the NY episode.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:25 pm
Yes, it does. That's the clip. Watch it again. And again, if you still don't get it.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
jason, if you are thinking of having puffy and ruffy take on the mob over the trash, I'd think again...

them boys don't mess around.

your mom would have a conniption if they came and pulled you outta her basement, and took you to swim with the fishes...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:35 pm
Good point, Rockhead. Notice in the clip how one of the independent truckers got murdered, Jason? You sure you want to go there? The Mafia DOES use guns,. And knives. And baseball bats. and your cats, with their skinny little pipestem arms wouldn't stand a chance.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:51 pm
@MontereyJack,
Waste management - the people who TREAT garbage. They turned the garbage into other things and made a fortune on the side. That video does not explain that.

Leave TUFFY, RUFFY and BULL out of this.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:57 pm
Why? That's what you're trying to find all this out for, so you can get Ruffy, Tuffy, and Bull killed by the Mafia in your comic.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
No. It's Tuffy, Ruffy and Bull.

I was trying to come up with OTHER types of villains Tuffy and his gang could fight.

You forget this is a CARTOON comic for kids.

There is not going to be any killing.