How did waste management/treatment people and racketeers in NYC make money with garbage?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:26 am
@MontereyJack,
I have to WRITE something first. Stop trolling.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:28 am
Fine. WRITE something, THEN DRAW it.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:29 am
@MontereyJack,
I bet he's gonna go play mario brothers...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 12:30 am
You don't think he's going to play with his penis?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 01:23 am
GETTING BACK ON TOPIC, the topic question was answered elsewhere. The first person said:

two ways. First, they monopolized the trash pick-up business- if you weren't mob
connected and tried to go into business for yourself, you were threatened/ and/or
hurt by the mob-including murder. The mob then was able to charge whatever
they wanted to pick up your garbage.

Second. they owned recycling plants for cardboard trash which they sold to legitimate
recycling plants. They also controlled the cart-men's union, so if you wanted a job
or to do business in the waste-management industry, you had to go through them.
They had it tied up coming and going.

The second person said:

'Garbage collection' may at 1st seem like something unimportant and disgusting, BUT think about it! It 'has' to be done constantly and regular (every week forever), right???
If you could make people pay for this 'service' (every week, constantly forever) over time it would add up to HUGE money wouldn't it?
So, you get the politicians to 'change the rules' starting in the 1980's, to allow 'private contractors' to run the garbage industry that everyone must use every day. You allow them to charge as much as they want, and illegally beat up or torch anyone who doesn't want to use their 'pay for' garbage service. And soon in a crowded populated state like New York they're taking in $1 billion per year in garbage payments $300-500 million of which is profit to run their other criminal rackets, and the public is paying twice as much as it would otherwise cost them for garbage, the difference going to support organized crime.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 12:15 am
What did waste management people in NYC turn garbage into, besides paper products and how did they make a fortune on the side? I am still looking for this info. That video excerpt from Trashopolis doesn't explain that - I would have to watch the whole episode again to see if it mentions it.

Does anyone here have any info regarding this?
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 01:36 am
You can turn trash into a number of things, and sometimes make money at it, though remember it's TRASH, so it's not going to be really fantastically valuable. It's not like you can turn it into gold (except by selling what you turn it into), or nuclear weapons. I think you may gave misheard it if you think they're making illegal fortunes on the side by turnibg trasg into treasure. As far as I know, anything you can turn it into is legit.
Quite a high percentage of trash is combustible---you can burn it (that's ture of more than just paper), and turn it into energy, but a lot of the burnable stuff is pretty yucky abd burning it can release stuff that has deleerious environmental consequences. It's widely seen as not a conincidence that trash burning plants tend to be located in very poor areas of towns, and can pose health risks to the people living around them and breathing their smoke. Activists have been fighting such plants for years.

u can turn paper into other lower-quality paper products, like packaging materials, but economics can screw you with that. there have been long periods of time when the price of paper was so low )and it keeps fluctuating) that reckykcers had to be subsidized bny taxpayrs to keep operating.I think it's high enojgh now thast they can make some profit now.

Another large percentage of the waste steam is plastics, particularly PVCs, like soda bottles.These can be recycled into polyester materials, you can make very fine thread from them, and make polyester fleece for clothing and bedding, and microfibers which you can use to make things like hypoallergenic sheets, upholstery materials, and all kinds of clothing. You can also, strangely enough recycle it into a form of artificial wood that's resistant to rot and temperature changes, for things like outdoor decking.

You can make money, and even get rich on it, and engage in corrupt business practices like in any other industry, but I'm not sure in and of itself it lends itself to large scale corruption
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:21 am
@JGoldman10,
Is Puffy gay? He sounds it.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 02:45 am
@izzythepush,
Puffy is "black"- he is a tough guy and street fighter lilke Tuffy and the rest of Tuffy's posse. He isn't gay.

Ever hear of Sean "Puffy" Combs?:

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/02/01-07/diddy-vote-sean-john-puffy-rap-hip-hop.jpg
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 03:53 am
@izzythepush,
I don't know if you are familiar with American slang vernacular or not, but I was using the 10th definition of Puffy:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puffy&page=2

noun=an extremely cool person.

Why the interest in my characters all of a sudden? Esp. Tuffy and his kinfolk?

Why are you all focusing on Tuffy and his relatives? I HAVE OTHER CATS, and I have a bunch of other CANINE characters I am working on.

Why are you discussing this here? I am going to start other threads for this.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:35 am
@JGoldman10,
From the Urban dictionary.

Quote:
1. puff. a man who is gay or is acting really queerly
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:38 am
@izzythepush,
AHEM:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puffy&page=2

10. puffy 3 up, 10 down
can be used as noun, adjective, profanity or nickname.
noun=an extremely cool person.
adjective=amazing
profanity=synomyn of f***
nickname=a nickname for someone that demonstrates puff-like qualities (i.e: coolness, awesomeness, enthusiam)
"Woah! Look at that Puffy! She's so cool!"
"Holy crap! Thats puffin' awesome!"
"PUFF YOU"
"Oh jen, you're so cool, i think i'll call you Puffy from now on...cause you're just that cool."

So you think because he's BLACK that he's gay? You are RACIST.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:45 am
Regular dictionary definition of puffy (with a little bit of an ad for people who have puffy eyes):

Quote:
Puffy Eye Treatment

Kiehl's Answer to Eye-Area Fatigue! Enriched with Vitamin E & Caffeine
Ad www.Kiehls.com
CollinsWorld English Dictionary
puffy (ˈpʌfɪ)

— adj , puffier , puffiest
1. short of breath
2. swollen or bloated: a puffy face
3. pompous or conceited
4. blowing in gusts

You want everybody to wonder where the bags under his eyes are,and why he's a conceited jerk, just go ahead and call him Puffy. Your choice.

Remember your target audience--born again Christians. They don't speak Urban.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:48 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

So you think because he's BLACK that he's gay? You are RACIST.

Bollocks, I heard the word 'puff,' or 'poof' in terms of effeminacy, long before I even knew what a homosexual was. It's got nothing to do with being black, I said it long before you mentioned his 'race,' he is a cat after all. Just because you're black, and probably gay, doesn't mean all blacks are gay.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:51 am
@MontereyJack,
Who cares? In the SLANG vernacular, "Puffy" is a nickname for someone cool.

My characters are tough guys/streetfighters. I want them to have slangy tough guy nicknames.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:51 am
Besides, black cats are black because their hair is black. That's kinda like saying Kim Kardashian is black because her hair is black.

And by the time you finally get your comic done, "puffy" is going to be the slang your readers' grandparents used when they were your readers' age
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:53 am
Before you ask, Cluffy, Duffy and Guffy are Tuffy's English, Irish and Scottish cousins, respectively.

That is ALL I am going to say about Tuffy's relatives in this thread.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:54 am
@MontereyJack,
No, he is an ABYSSINIAN. Abyssinians are an AFRICAN cat breed, and so is Trump.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 04:56 am
@JGoldman10,
Like Carole Ann Duffy, our poet laureate, and a prominent lesbian?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 05:01 am
@izzythepush,
No - Duffy is a common Irish (nick)name. What is WRONG with you?
0 Replies