Can Obama Lose? Will he be a one-term president?

failures art

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:19 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

failures art wrote:
Will he be a one-timer? Too soon to say.

Makes it more fun, which way do you lean now (even if only slightly)?

In that case, I'll give the advantage to Obama. I think the GOP Primary has done poorly for any of the candidates on building a election support structure. Obama has a very impressive one. Once the GOP finally pick their front runner, they are usually very skilled at building it up, but they will be playing major catch up. More problematic for the GOP, is that it's not the GOP of old. People won't just fall into line. With the egos on many, I have a hard time thinking that people like Cain or Bachmann will be able to keep their mouth shut.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
The variables are larger than the two opponents (the GOP one TBD).

It's going to be Romney. Perry needs lightning to win, and the others need not to be circus freaks, which is not in the cards.

I think you're correct, but the ticket still has to address the political dynamic. For every weakness that Romney has, the GOP will have to put a VP candidate next to him that eases the electorate. Romney's problems are that he says whatever is best in the moment, and that's even more difficult when he has to start addressing the whole country, not just the GOP. More reasons I feel that some won't be able to resist keeping their mouth shut.

I forecast Obama debating with lead in phrases like "people in your on party..." which are kryptonite for Romney because he doesn't know what the get out of jail answer is.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
I think the economy is certainly a factor, but I think it's over emphasized right now. The emphasis is more a part about the general media narrative on the economy. We're being TOLD that it's important, and so many believe it is. I won't say it's unimportant, but come 6 months from now we could well be talking about something else.

Not gonna happen, the economy is almost never not the #1 issue, it would take an event like 9/11 to change that. Its the economy, stupid.

I think that rosborne979 is absolutely right that Obama's chances will go largely as the economy does. War is pretty much the only thing that changes politics as significantly and predictably as economy does and the only way the economy won't be the top issue is if it improves dramatically or something much worse happens.

The economy puts the GOP in reach of the White House, so yes it's important. I'm only saying that the nebulous term "the economy" is processed differently by people and so it means different things. Right now, it's better to say that unemployment is the problem, not "the economy." Obama can stand in front of charts if he feels it important to do so. I think that for the effort, better energy is spent elsewhere.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
The lines of discussion on the performance of the economy versus the employment rate can cut both ways. If Obama decides to adopt the more populist message, it could be validating (i.e. - good economic markets, no jobs, a failure of private industry greed, not government).

He can and should try to get on the right side of this economic issue in the hearts and minds of Americans, but the problem is that most people aren't paying attention to anything other than their wallet, and if it's lean they are pissed at the incumbents and that's that (for them). I don't think things are going to get much better for them either, unemployment benefits are going to start running out and I can't imagine an economic recovery that will make it to that level (employment rates are not a leading indicator, they trail the recovery and those folks are at the end of the totem pole when jobs are handed out).

Not to go tangential, but this is why the GOP is so mad about things like #OWS. It has robbed them of their ability to dictate the terms of the argument. They are forced to address the "whys" because the public is being introduced to lots of media that challenges their narrative.

In this regard, if Obama wins he may deserve less credit.

Robert Gentel wrote:

When the economy gets this bad, the national conscience is to lynch and demand "off with their heads." Few care about nuances like figuring out why things are bad, those are complex issues that experts don't agree on, they are just fed up and not going to take it anymore and they notice whether it happens on your watch more so than whether you are genuinely culpable.

Yes, the head-cutting desire is strong, and so the question will become, since I can't vote to remove private CEOs, but I can vote to remove public servants, will I settle for just any head I can put in a basket?

I don't know.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
Still watching. I feel that the GOP lacks any real image. In other words, even if you want Obama out, no real vision of what a GOP admin looks like has really been pushed forth. Anti-Obama is not enough. We get it. The GOP's hardest task is going to be to compete with Obama's current trajectory in a way that people understand and relate to.

I don't think it really works this way, you may be a bit idealistic about expecting the unwashed masses to put as much thought into their choices as you do. Not having any plans may be a deal breaker for you but it certainly isn't an impediment to winning an election. If you have 60 seconds to elucidate your position in a political debate it's much easier to pull a "you're no Jack Kennedy" and put down your opponent than take the policy wonk approach. An anti-incumbent platform is the most common way to get elected, you don't need a great plan (just enough to make it hard for others to attack you as having no plan) because it's easier to just attack the incumbent (or the opponent in general, for that matter).

It's possible I'm being idealistic, but part of my view is rather cynical. I think the gamesmanship that has passed for classical politics was tolerated because people have not reached this degree of disenfranchisement before. Following the advent of the Tea Party, I wonder if people are willing to be sold on the "out with the old" sloganeering.

Robert Gentel wrote:

That's what Obama did to get elected, he largely just portrayed himself as the anti-thesis to the current administration and campaigned on "change". He didn't win because his plans were amazing but because there was a groundswell of dissatisfaction with the incumbent party. Obama doesn't have the anti-incumbency arrow in his quiver this time but he'll likely still use a variation of this technique by making this a referendum on character. That is, it's easier to say why someone else is the wrong person than it is to articulate a silver bullet of a plan (and even if you could come up with a simple and clear one, it may not campaign well because sometimes the right thing to do, like increasing taxes in pretty much any situation that calls for it, is unpopular).

Every new candidate carries that arrow. I think some arrows fly more true than others and hit their target. Obama still as to dodge the arrow, but he's less weighed down.

A
R
T
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 02:10 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

If Cheney had led the assasination of Bin Laden, you would be cheering.

Possibly, you are confusing Robert with Roger. They do both start with the letter R.

I don't do 'cheering' by the way, but I gave Obama fair credit on this one.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:27 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

I'm just wonder what people expected the US to do after we were attacked on 9/11. Try to negotiate with Bin Laden and just say, even though you were in charge of killing over 3000 people in a single day we are willing to let it go if you promise not to try and kill us anymore? He and Al Qaeda had to pay for that day no matter what in my opinion.

There's no doubt that Al Qaida is a terrorist organisation, such organisations cannot exist without a support network. What Bill is advocating is an attack on the community that harbours such an organisation, as if that will in turn terrorise the community into surrendering the terrorists. That just doesn't work, when people are accustomed to hardship, they dig in. The bombings of WW2, both allied and axis, just entrenched the opinions of the civilian population, once you become accustomed to warfare it's no longer a threat, the desire for revenge takes over.

We didn't get the IRA to accept power sharing and renounce terrorism by bombing the Catholic areas of Belfast and Londonderry. Al Qaida may be lloking a bit spent in Afghanistan, but it's lookiong a bit healthier in Somalia. Bin Laden may be dead, but every time a drone hits a child in Pakistan, there's hundreds more recruits. What do you want? Do you want a safer world for Americans or do you want more revenge, because you can't have both.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

If there was anything I got from recently reading Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea, it was a huge swell of anger about how Pakistan's people have been treated over the past decades. I'm working out what I can do to get something useful from that anger.

I don't think that we can find anything useful in that anger, Al Qaida might.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
I am suggesting going after the terrorists and not worrying too must if some of the people supporting them or at least allowing them to operate freely are harm also.

Do not be in the same building as someone you know is a terrorist for example would be a good suggestion to start with. Hell try to keep a few hundreds yards from them at all times.

If the tribals leaderships in those areas do not wish their people to run the risk of being harm then it is clearly in their power to kick the terrorists out.

Hell the terrorists had the support of these people it would seems before we started hitting back so I do not see what we had lost at the very worst by keeping hitting back.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 02:07 am
@BillRM,
Do you think that's what Al Qaida thought, teach America a lesson for occupying Moslem lands and supporting Israel by bombing the World Trade Centre? That made America bow to Al Qaida's demands didn't it?

If it didn't work for them why do you think it will work for you?
BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 02:28 am
@izzythepush,
Now I do not care if the people love us in that area of the world of not nor do I care if people who had given aid and support to mass killers get in the cross hairs of our weapons when we go after those killers.

If their choice to aid these people and they been doing so long before we had placed the first arm drone in their skies.

Except for putting up with people like you whining about these poor supporters of mass murderers being harm every now and then we had nothing to lose. They supported the mass murderers before we took action and they are still doing so.

If they wish the drones out of their sky they could had that in days if they kick the terrorists out if not they are just going to have to live with having hell fire missile strikes occurring around them.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 02:37 am
@BillRM,
Either they're really ungrateful, or you just don't understand what's going on.
BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 02:46 am
@izzythepush,
I do not care if they are grateful or not if they are supporting terrorists I just do not care if they end up being harm by our actions in going after the mass killers or not that they are freely sheltering.

If they feed and shelter and on the whole give aid to those who had done mass murders on our soil and as a result end up every now and then on the wrong side of a hell fire missile strike that is just too bad.

If they wish the drones out of their sky they can have it within days if not oh well.

The only down side is hearing people like you whining about it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 03:05 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
it didn't work for them why do you think it will work for you?

Oh just to made is perfectly clear I do not think for a moment any actions of ours is going to stop them supporting these terrorists.

That why we need to kill the terrorists on their soil ourselves.

It was not our drones that cause them to support these killers in the first place and we gain nothing by not killing the terrorists with missile strikes except for hearing people like you whine when a few of the people supporting the terrorists happen to be kill also.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 03:10 am
@izzythepush,
Once more the issue is them supporting mass murderers on US soil not if they are grateful or not.

If they stop doing so we can stop spending money on hell fire missile strikes on their lands.

Otherwise they just have to get use to living in a battlefield that they created by their own ongoing actions.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 03:40 am
@BillRM,
So it's just the Moslems who are mass murderers. What about the thousands of Arabs killed by Israel and American backed dictators?
BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:05 am
@izzythepush,
Lord you wish to change the subject and also bring in the idea that I think that all Muslims are supporters of mass murderers of women and children beside!!!

We had a right and our government had a duty to protect US citizens from terrorists operating anywhere in the world and that what we are doing with our missile strikes in the tribal areas.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:10 am
@BillRM,
I wasn't changing the subject Bill. You seem to have a particularly one sided view of History, and seem convinced that you can bomb an enemy into submission. It didn't work in Vietnam, and all it's really doing now is pointing a load of angry young men towards Al Qaida.

After 9/11 why do you think there were thousands of people dancing in the streets across the Arab world? Do you think those people will have changed their minds now, or do you think that their ranks will have become swollen?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:17 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Lord you wish to change the subject and also bring in the idea that I think that all Muslims are supporters of mass murderers of women and children beside!!!

What on Earth are you trying to say here? Are you saying that you think all Moslems support the mass murder of women and children, or that I am accusing you of having such opinions?

I really don't know, try to construct a coherant sentence next time. I really feel like I'm debating with one of the lower primates. This is a complicated subject, and cannot be determined by grunts and chest beatings. Just try proof reading for once.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:42 am
@izzythepush,
`Let see yes you was cheerfully implying that I was of the opinion that all Muslins are killers of women and children.

Second you logic is wonderful as by it no nation that is not perfect now and in it past had any right of self defense.

How amusing can you get?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:52 am
@BillRM,
At least when I say something people know what I mean. Your understanding of my logic is about as flaky as your understanding of basic grammar. What I am saying is that the air drone strikes in Pakistan are counter productive. Bin Laden is dead, and all they're really doing now is building up resentment against the USA. They are making another 9/11 more, not less likely.
BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 04:58 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
So it's just the Moslems who are mass murderers

Here is your statement that imply Muslins as a group are mass murderers and given that their religion clearly condemn such actions that is crazy on it face.

But then you need to do anything to get away from dealing with the fact that the US is just defending itself and with the minimum possible force beside.

Hell fire missiles are pin point weapon systems.

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:06 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Bin Laden is dead, and all they're really doing now is building up resentment against the USA. They are making another 9/11 more, not less likely.

So you are of the opinion that middle east terrorists attacks will end by themselves now that Laden had been kill if we stop all actions of self defense?

Increase resentment by a people who knowing had given mass murderers support before 911 and long before the first drones strikes is somehow how such an important factor that we would be better off granting a safe haven for the terrorists to plot more attacks on us?

The word crazy logic keep coming to mind.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2011 05:13 am
@BillRM,
Read my quotation again, I said 'just the Moslems,' not 'all Moslems.' I'm sorry, but not at all surprised that you find that confusing.

If you think hitting unarmed children with missiles from drones is just America defending itself with the minimum possible force you're even more stupid than I though you were.

At the end of the day, I'm not the once you need to convince, it's the thousandss of disaffected young men throughout the Moslem world. With your mellifluous tones and rhetorical skills it should be a doddle.
Anyway, when the next terrorist attrocity occurs, you can't say you weren't warned.