Can Obama Lose? Will he be a one-term president?

rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 02:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
For what it's worth (virtually nothing), my crystal ball says that Obama will beat Romney by a narrow margin. However, I believe that the margin will be greatly affected by forces outside of anyone's control. If the economy sweetens by the election then Obama will win handily, but if it sours deeply then Romney will win.

Unfortunately, neither party, Republican or Democrat is qualified to run the country at this point.

On the bright side, I think Obama will be a better president in his second term than in his first because I think most of his errors came from lack of experience, and he's had a ton of experience now.

I'm very interested to see what his campaign team does this time around. In the last election they were nothing short of brilliant.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 02:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Is there any indication if he's going to use an economic populist plank in his campaign yet?

Some.

There's been the heavy jobs push, which has an economic populist component.

There's "it's not class warfare, it's math" (and what it refers to -- raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans).

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20108238-503544.html
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 03:50 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
because the republicans have learned the power of resistence, of being a veto on everything the democrats have worked for and stood for...

The other path is that the Republicans piss so many of the voters off that they lose so must power that they can not block anything,
Bill... A democrat politician is just a republican in a sheep skins... They all want power without responsibility...
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 05:36 pm
He's been 10x the president that W was. A lot of people easily forget the financial mess started on W's watch. Obama has been decisive in the two wars, and thats what we need. Even more perilous times are ahead.
BillRM

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2011 08:38 pm
@DrewDad,
Look hopefully he was taken alive and his death fake in that raid.

We hopefully then took him somewhere where we peeled his brain one layer of cells after another until we had ever bit of information in it and then we kill what remain of him.

It never in any case made any sense to me to do a kill everyone raid when if the computers was protected with any modern encryption program little information could had been gain without the people who knew the pass phases.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 09:29 am
Just to talk about the Iraq thing, and public reaction to it -

2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/picking-the-wrong-fight-republicans-could-fumble-on-iraq-gallup-data-shows.php?ref=fpb

One way or another, the vast majority of Americans are happy we're getting the hell out of there. Obama will benefit from that even if he did nothing at all different - and it doesn't help his opponents to talk about how stupid it is for us to leave.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:04 am
Regarding the economic sabotage question, it certainly seems to be resonating in FL. Not much national polling on this yet.

http://saintpetersblog.com/2011/11/florida-poll-the-economy-sucks-rubio-lied-and-scott-vs-sink-would-be-close/

Quote:
With 51 percent of voters saying that jobs and the economy are the most pressing issues in the nation today, 49 percent said they believe that the Republicans are intentionally hindering efforts to boost the economy so that President Barack Obama will not be reelected. Thirty-nine percent disagreed. As expected, most registered Democrats (70 percent) agreed that Republicans are intentionally hindering the economy and hurting Obama, but independents (52 percent) and even some Republicans (24 percent) also agreed. [emphasis added]

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:20 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

He's been 10x the president that W was. A lot of people easily forget the financial mess started on W's watch. Obama has been decisive in the two wars, and thats what we need. Even more perilous times are ahead.
The thing, capitalism, has been failing bad and on life support for over 70 years... They have grown dependent upon government interventions to save them from their natural excesses... You cannot blame presidents for the failures of the economy when by definition, our constitution gives government little control over the economy... Put another way, government recognizes the rights of property, and is limited in the extent to which it can control behavior by seizing property, all the while the forces of wealth have a recognized freedom to affect the course of government with donations to the campaigns of candidates...

Do you see what I am saying: Free Enterprise is free because government cannot govern it, but the government can clearly be governed by the ungoverned so that the people must suffer the anarchy that business demands..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 10:24 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Just to talk about the Iraq thing, and public reaction to it -

2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/picking-the-wrong-fight-republicans-could-fumble-on-iraq-gallup-data-shows.php?ref=fpb

One way or another, the vast majority of Americans are happy we're getting the hell out of there. Obama will benefit from that even if he did nothing at all different - and it doesn't help his opponents to talk about how stupid it is for us to leave.

Cycloptichorn
If he wanted to help our standing in the world, he would march the whole army through Syria, and take Assad with them... Plus, it would be easier to get them home through the Mediterainian... Did I spell anything right, here? got to go.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 11:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Glenn Greenwald thinks we're being fed Middle East Propaganda 101.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:12 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
I think "responsibility" and "seriousness" will be themes. That he's steered the nation through some really trying times in a responsible, steady way. He wrapped up the Iraq war, got health care passed, halted the recession's slide, killed Bin Laden, handled Libya quickly and effectively, etc., etc. While the Republicans have been posturing and obstructionist and unserious.

I agree with this 100%, but unfortunately most Americans don't do that much critical thinking. They rely on sound bites and emotional untruths.

After seeing the current crop of republicans, I don't have much faith in who will be elected.

BTW - I was one of those idealists that bought the 'hope and change' line, and I still do, but I am disgusted by the other side's - cut spending at any cost approach.

In Romney's recent debt reduction proposals all the cuts are in programs that benefit some segment of the population. No mention of defense spending. We are in debt now for two reasons, the Bush tax cuts, and the unfunded wars started by Bush. Does any one think the savings from the cuts will be passed on to the middle class or lower? Why do so many middle class people buy this line of reasoning?

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:18 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I think his assassination policy is immoral.

Did you support water boarding?

Was our invasion of Iraq moral ?

If Cheney had led the assasination of Bin Laden, you would be cheering.

Do you not agree that we have seriously weakened the ability of Al Queda (sp?) in the last 3 years?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:28 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:
I think his assassination policy is immoral.

Did you support water boarding?

Was our invasion of Iraq moral ?

If Cheney had led the assasination of Bin Laden, you would be cheering.

I don't think RG was any fan of Bush and Cheney.

Quote:
Do you not agree that we have seriously weakened the ability of Al Queda (sp?) in the last 3 years?

I'm sure we have, but we'll slip into an 'ends justifying the means' argument if we're not careful.

Cycloptichorn
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:28 am
RE: the jobs problem. I find it interesting that the same people that want less government blame the government for no jobs.

This unemployment problem is caused by many factors, and the obstructionist congress won't let us address any of them. Some of the problems are big and outside our control. Global competetion, technical requirements on new jobs, education, increased productivity. Also, remember that reduced regulations helped allow the banking meltdown that started this downturn, on Bush's watch.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I'm sure we have, but we'll slip into an 'ends justifying the means' argument if we're not careful.

Absolutely, I am fearful of that line of thinking also. It's the logic that allowed us to invade Iraq. I think they called it 'pre-emptive defense'. Sounds just like aggression to me.

I thought the role we played in Lybia was a good one. We steered the outcome the way we wanted without getting involved in a ground war, and at much less cost than $10B a month. And with help from NATO.

I don't think Obama got near enough credit for our response in that one. It's still not over though.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 08:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I'm sure we have, but we'll slip into an 'ends justifying the means' argument if we're not careful

The words fools and idiots keep coming to mind when people make such comments when we are talking about dealing with proven mass murderers who are in an open state of war with the US.

Questioner

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:02 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I'm sure we have, but we'll slip into an 'ends justifying the means' argument if we're not careful

The words fools and idiots keep coming to mind when people make such comments when we are talking about dealing with proven mass murderers who are in an open state of war with the US.

The words Short-Sighted and Communists keep coming to mind when people make such comments as the above.

"What's that? You're speaking out against the current regi . . . government? You're openly hostile, we'll treat you as a terrorist and send a drone missile up your tail as you leave Wal-Mart. It's the safest way to be sure."

As soon as it gets easier to justify assassinating people rather than catching and trying them according to our LAW then we might as well call Democracy quits now and sign up to join Big Brother.
BillRM

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:17 am
@Questioner,
Quote:
justify assassinating people rather than catching and trying them according to our LAW then we might as well call Democracy quits now and sign up to join Big Brother.

Yes a hell fire missile up the rear end of an American who is in open arm conflict with the US operating on foreign soil and who plotted bringing down a jet liner full of men women and children over a major US city on Christmas day seem more then call for.

Somehow the the idea that we should just pass on the chance of ending one such threat to our citizens because you wish to somehow at some future day capture him and bring him to a US court is being a fool and an idiot.

That go double given that every free breathe this killer is allow to take place hundreds or thousands of US citizens in ongoing risk of being murder due to his actions.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
Latest Rasmussen shows Bork (Obunga) losing to a "generic republican(TM)". That means that Donald or Daffy Duck, either one, would beat him badly and a Duck/Duck ticket would slaughter him.
BillRM

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2011 09:34 am
@Questioner,
You know Questioner there are times when I wish that there was some magical way to separate the fools such as you and Robert from the rest of us.

Only you and your love ones would then need to assume the risk of allowing murderers to operate freely plotting and placing such plots in actions to murder Americans by the hundreds and thousands.

As there is no magical way to do that we just going to need to take actions to protected all of us and even as you whine about it you still will get to enjoy being safer from such evil people.