Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

High Seas

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:21 pm
@Thomas,
Lots of little plazas (indoors and outdoors) in Manhattan are subject to the same arrangement. The developers got to build taller towers and the pedestrians weren't cut off from public spaces altogether, so it makes sense. The little plazas are still private property, though - some close at night and/or weekends.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
Interesting!

Well, the theme of the demonstration is that corporate power is quashing regular people. So a showdown with the corporate owners of Zuccotti park would be right on message.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:33 pm
@Thomas,
And I'm sure the owners and the city realize that. Having city police rousting protesters on behalf of a corporation would vindicate all of the protesters' complaints.

Nevertheless, we should also acknowledge that rampant capitalism made that park possible in the first place. I'm sure there's a very tall building in the immediate vicinity of the park that is the whole reason why the park's there. While they're camped out in Zucotti Park, then, the protesters should at least look up and say "thanks for the park, tall skyscraper dudes!"
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's also a tug of war between landowners potentially being able to build out their sites to the property lines as increasingly skyrocketing upward blocks and a quest not entirely started by Olmsted but enhanced by him for air and verdance within a city, by cities and their bureaucracies, at the same time empty spaces in towns have historically been a place for people to gather for festas or mob rule (or vatican rule - the death of savonarola - or nazi rule - executions in the Campo in '44 or '45, I forget the year - and many other types).

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:34 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

....the theme of the demonstration is that corporate power is quashing regular people..

No idea where you got that - there's all kinds of messages from the demonstrators. 10 of them can be seen at this link:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/photobooth/2011/10/martin-schoeller-occupy-wall-street.html
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/photobooth/111017_occupy-9_p465.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:39 pm
@joefromchicago,
I think I differ slightly, see my last post.

The city let that building corp build that whopper with constraints.

Some cities still restrain whopper building, see Paris, Rome.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:43 pm
The park, formerly called Liberty Plaza Park, was created in 1968 by United States Steel in return for a height bonus for its adjacent headquarters at the time of its construction. That building is now known as One Liberty Plaza.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Nevertheless, we should also acknowledge that rampant capitalism made that park possible in the first place.

Goddamn libertarian! Laughing
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:53 pm
Looks like the religious community is uniting with occupy wall street!

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 02:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

In any case, whether or not you are personally envious, you are mistaken if you think envy does not play a very large role in the success of class warfare strategy.

I think you're absolutely correct - just not in the way that you probably think you are. Envy is a prime component of the class warfare strategy of the wealthy against the rest of us.

I suppose by this you mean that the wealthy somehow induce the poor to envy their status and thus strive for it rather than sieze it as rightfully their own.

Quote:
If you recall, you accused me of being a "economic feudalist," (Whatever the hell that means).

Modern-day capitalism is an economic form of Fedualism; those at the top believe they are at the top through their inherent right to be so, because of qualities and advantages that they have which others (who they style their inferiors) do not. This is how they (you) justify the extreme inequity in pay that we see today; management and executives deserve millions, because they are 'worth it' in a way that the rest of their employees simply are not.

The false nature of this belief is clearly shown by the fact that executive pay bears no real relation to the quality of their performance, and Corporations have fought tooth and nail to prevent their shareholders from being able to control levels of executive pay. The underlying thought that pushes this, is the supposition that failure to pay your executives as well as other companies pay theirs, will lead to all the best people leaving your company. However, reality has shown that this is a false thought, and the effects of it are pernicious to our society in a wide variety of ways.

There is very little that distinguishes this modern-day belief from the classic belief that the Nobility deserves to own and control the vast majority of capital, because of inherent qualities within themselves that make them superior to their fellow man - regardless of their actual performance.

Cycloptichorn

What nonsense.

I suppose Steve Jobs did not possess skills and characteristics that were more valuable to Apple than those of some nice young woman writing code all day.

Even assuming your facile theory constitutes a "modern-day belief" that is actually believed by anyone but you and your Neo-Marxist discussion group that meets Friday afternoons at the local pub, there is a glaring distinction between your "economic feudalism" and classic feudalism: the absence of inheritance.

While a modern Capitalist Baron may, through inheritance, pass on his accumulated wealth to his progeny (minus great wads taken for taxes imposed by the "serfs") he doesn't pass on his status. One would expect that any Baron who subscribed to "economic feudalism" and believed his status and wealth were inherent rights would seek to pass both on to his offspring

In reality, outside of privately owned enterprises this is not a practice that is followed or even advocated.

In any case, the only aspect of feudalism that you are drawing upon for your theory is a consequence of the system, not a fundamental element.

Why is is more likely that the senior executives of a company have achieved their level of status and wealth due to anything other than merit? Are you suggesting that no role in a corporate structure is of greater importance (and therefore greater value) than any other?

You've made a number of broad and unsubstantiated claims for how your theory is clearly proven, but there's nothing really there... there.

You know I don't really believe you envy the wealthy, at least not their money and possessions, but it does bug the hell out of you that they might feel superior to you, and since wealth is one means of demonstrating superiority you resent it to no end.

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 03:24 pm
Kind of true and kind of funny!

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 03:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

You know I don't really believe you envy the wealthy, at least not their money and possessions, but it does bug the hell out of you that they might feel superior to you, and since wealth is one means of demonstrating superiority you resent it to no end.

Sometimes it really amazes me how little you people understand about your fellow man.

It doesn't bug me that the wealthy feel superior to me - it's a familiar feeling, because I feel superior to them. Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:12 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Interesting!

Well, the theme of the demonstration is that corporate power is quashing regular people. So a showdown with the corporate owners of Zuccotti park would be right on message.

That and Bloomberg's domestic partner is on the Board of Directors making for the perfect metaphor/example of corporate intermingling/influence on politics.

A
R
T
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:20 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
The men who crashed the world
The first of a four-part investigation into a world of greed and recklessness that led to financial collapse.

In the first episode of Meltdown, we hear about four men who brought down the global economy: a billionaire mortgage-seller who fooled millions; a high-rolling banker with a fatal weakness; a ferocious Wall Street predator; and the power behind the throne.

The crash of September 2008 brought the largest bankruptcies in world history, pushing more than 30 million people into unemployment and bringing many countries to the edge of insolvency. Wall Street turned back the clock to 1929.

In depth coverage of US financial crisis protests
But how did it all go so wrong?

Lack of government regulation; easy lending in the US housing market meant anyone could qualify for a home loan with no government regulations in place.

Also, London was competing with New York as the banking capital of the world. Gordon Brown, the British finance minister at the time, introduced 'light touch regulation' - giving bankers a free hand in the marketplace.

All this, and with key players making the wrong financial decisions, saw the world's biggest financial collapse.

Meltdown is a four-part investigation that takes a closer look at the people who brought down the financial world. It can be seen on Al Jazeera English from Tuesday, September 20, at the following times GMT: Tuesday: 2000; Wednesday: 1200; Thursday: 0100; Friday: 0600; Saturday: 2000; Sunday: 1200; Monday: 0100; Tuesday: 0600.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/meltdown/2011/09/2011914105518615434.html
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:44 pm
@JTT,
Thank you for sharing. That is one hell of a video! I think that some of those people are going to end up in allot of trouble soon!
mysteryman

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:53 pm
@High Seas,
Maybe she should have thought about this before she took out the loans.
Instead, she could have worked, even part time, she could have applied for grants, she could have done many things to avoid having to take out loans.

IMHO, many (but not all) of the people at these protests are the ones that grew up screwed up, and its everyones fault.

These are the people that were told that it was ok if they thought 2+2=5, because they were "trying".
These are the kids that when they played sports, everyone got a trophy and nobody kept score, so nobody would get their feelings hurt.

They were given everything they wanted, without having to work for it and nnow they expect that to continue.

Also, they say that corporations are the problem and that corporations are evil, while they talk on their iphones and use their ipads.

I freely admit that there are some problems with wall street, but these protests will accomplish nothing at all.

I have no problem with these protests, as long as they remain peaceful and obey the laws.
BUT, once they impede traffic, block streets or sidewalks, once they begin to become a public nuisance, then I hope the law cracks down hard.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:56 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Maybe she should have thought about this before she took out the loans.

Many people who are in graduate school or recently graduated started 4-6 years ago, when the job market was far, far healthier than today. They had much more of an expectation of finding employment to help pay down the debt they've taken on. You should keep that in mind before being critical of their decisions.

Quote:
Instead, she could have worked, even part time, she could have applied for grants, she could have done many things to avoid having to take out loans.

You don't know that she didn't do all those things.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 05:32 pm
@mysteryman,
How much of a pension are you taking from the US military, MM?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 06:13 pm
Is this a lady or a man being punched out by a NYP?

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 06:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Many people who are in graduate school or recently graduated started 4-6 years ago, when the job market was far, far healthier than today. They had much more of an expectation of finding employment to help pay down the debt they've taken on. You should keep that in mind before being critical of their decisions.

The unadulterated irony here speaks for itself.