Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

failures art

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 07:01 am
http://westandwiththe99percent.tumblr.com

Quote:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt1dfxJhZq1r4cz2xo1_500.jpg
I am a two-time cancer survivor.

I get to have prompt, efficient medical care because my parents are wealthy.

While in treatment, I watched so many parents leave their sick child’s room to fight with their insurance provider to try and get sufficient coverage.

Most of them lost that battle.

And those were the “lucky” ones- they had insurance to begin with.

People die because they don’t have enough money to treat their illnesses.

It happens EVERYDAY.

Healthcare is a RIGHT, not a privilege for the rich.

I stand with the 99%.

A
R
T
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 07:18 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
So, they are occupying private property, and believe they have a right to do so.

Brookfield is required to keep that space open to the public.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:30 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
So, they are occupying private property, and believe they have a right to do so.

It's more complicated than that. Zuccotti Park was created as a public park, continues to be a public park, and is required to be open to public at all times under current zoning laws. Like many public parks in New York City, it is run by a private company for administrative reasons. I don't know what that means in terms of the protesters' right to demonstrate and camp there. I don't know that anybody does. But it's certainly not as clear-cut as if those dudes were camping on your private front lawn.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:07 am
@Thomas,
This is easily the most confusing issue I'm having to deal with. I do not get the logic behind the way this park is structured to operate at all.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:16 am
I believe that NYC, like many other American cities, has zoning laws which allow developers to construct buildings in excess of the zoning limits if they set aside land for public use. So, for instance, if you want to build a 50-story building on land that is only zoned for 20-story buildings, you can get a variance if you set aside a certain amount of land for a plaza or a park or something as a form of compensation. Without looking into the details of this particular situation, it would be my guess that a developer at some point made this kind of deal that resulted in Zucotti Park.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:19 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Thank you Thomas, but Cyclo is just one of those low bred scoundrels who twisted by cramping envy, strikes out at his betters. Cool

... or those who would style themselves that way, at least.

I don't know why people assume that others who are happy with their lives would be envious of people that happen to have more money. Why is that? Do you honestly believe that I'm envious of you, or anyone else?

What I am angry about, isn't that others have more, it's that I have to deal with the fallout of their incessant attempts to garner more at the expense of all other considerations. I don't give a **** if someone's wealthy as long as it doesn't affect me negatively; why would I care? It's immaterial to my life. But what DOES matter, is when the job market is destroyed by these people. When my environment is destroyed by them. When we see tremendous amounts of household wealth lost because of their gambling addiction and need to prove that they have a bigger dick than the next rich guy. I shouldn't have to deal with these negative effects - nobody should - and yet we do, precisely because those who are driven by avarice are unwilling to blunt their ambitions out of respect for others.

Cycloptichorn

Gosh but you can take yourself pretty seriously Cyclo.

I don't know if you are envious of me, but then I also wasn't actually suggesting that I am your better.

If you recall, you accused me of being a "economic feudalist," (Whatever the hell that means). I was simply posting in the manner you, obviously, expect from me.

In any case, whether or not you are personally envious, you are mistaken if you think envy does not play a very large role in the success of class warfare strategy.
sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:34 am
@Robert Gentel,
More detail here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/nyregion/zuccotti-park-is-privately-owned-but-open-to-the-public.html

excerpt:

Quote:
Zuccotti Park, the half-acre plaza in Lower Manhattan now synonymous with Occupy Wall Street, exists in a strange category of New York parkland, identified by a seeming oxymoron: a privately owned public space.

The park was established in a wave of development that spurred corporate plazas after changes were made to the city’s zoning laws in the early 1960s. The laws generally give real estate developers zoning concessions in exchange for public space.

[...]

“The city had a policy for encouraging commercial developers to create open space in exchange for more height,” said Mitchell L. Moss, a professor of urban policy and planning at New York University. “But until now, no one has thought about the issue of what the rules are. This has highlighted one of the gaps in New York’s planning system.”
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:58 am
@joefromchicago,
That helps explain why it happens, and some of why it makes sense to the participants. I wish that they would have agreed that such designated areas for public use would also be administrated publicly (even if it has to be then paid for), as the interests of the public and the private administration are inevitably going to have conflicts of interest over things like this.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:10 pm
@georgeob1,
I believe cyclo. I am going back and forth reading along with him, Robert, and Thomas, trying to figure out what I think myself. I think I substantially understand Cyclo and his views on this and other matters.

At present, I live substantially below the poverty line in US and I don't envy the rich. I've known and liked plenty of wealthy people. I've off and on had what might be called lower to close to middle class money and off and on real financial distress. All that time I've had a life I'm interested in and don't want anyone else's. I don't hate the rich. I do estimate that some people in banks (etc.) foresaw implosion but were passively pulled into going along or actively going for the ride.

In my view, you do Cyclo a disservice to ascribe his anger as an aspect of class envy.
TheLeapist

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
In my view, you do Cyclo a disservice to place his anger as an aspect of class envy.
Exactly. Since when is anger, annoyance and frustration directly linked with being envious? Saying so only serves to make the accuser (ie George in this case) seem childish and silly. You can't realistically just lob the vast array of human emotions into big clumps like that.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:17 pm
@joefromchicago,
You are correct, joefromchicago.

The park is one of many public spaces in the city.
There are some really beautiful ones, complete with waterfall fountains, and some that are no bigger than half a tennis court and about as interesting.

Joe(it's a baseball throw from the World Trade Center.)Nation
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:51 pm
@failures art,
I thought it was clear what I had to say as respects this post: I provided the thread with casual observations from a recent experience.

I'm sorry if they don't align with whatever fiction you're developing in your mind about the courageous iconclasts braving the elements to beat their drums against predatory capitalism.

As a matter of fact, I took 15 cab rides in 4 days, which I consider to be a pretty good survey opportunity. In my 35 plus years of taxi rides, it's been my experience that most cabbies like to talk to their fares, and even those who do not, will still answer questions about what is going on around town. Even when my questions specifically referenced OWS the responses were limited to one grunt, two laughs and about 18 spoken words (of which "get a job" were three).

I really couldn't tell you if, as a group, cabbies tend to be Democrats or Republicans, but they do generally consider themselves hardworking and wise to all manner of bullshit.

What their largely silent reaction to OWS can be said to reveal (beyond indifference) is unknown to me.

Observing that most of the OWS protestors I saw were "dressed in hippy garb, and carrying signs, and beating drums," is hardly mockery. It's the simple truth of what I saw. Whether or not any of them has a clue as to economics or the historical facts of the "meltdown," I couldn't say. It wouldn't surprise me if some actually do.

In that I was tightly focused on growing my own capital during my visit, I may have missed the fact that the OWS protestors parked at the park were engaging in spirited debates with financeers or delivering enlightened lectures on Marxist solutions. I'm sure I didn't bother to investigate the "movement" to the degree that I could report back on what their short and long term political strategies may be.

I suspect that I have a much better understanding of what goes on in corporate boardrooms than do you, or at least I've spent a lot more time in such boardrooms then you have. As hard as I've looked, I haven't found sign of the sinister cabal that pulls all the strings of the world's markets. I have found enormous reservoirs of arrogance and endless lengths of stupidity. I have found an army of liars and cadres of the incredibly petty and the cruel. Of course I've also found a very large number of decent fellow human beings who are driven by the desire and need to achieve, yet governed by ethical standards no one in this forum would find wanting.

I gaze nowhere in envy Deist save perhaps at the young couple dressed in clothes much like the ones I wore in my youth, who were laying on a blanket in the park; under a San Diego sun, reading a book together.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

In any case, whether or not you are personally envious, you are mistaken if you think envy does not play a very large role in the success of class warfare strategy.

I think you're absolutely correct - just not in the way that you probably think you are. Envy is a prime component of the class warfare strategy of the wealthy against the rest of us.

Quote:
If you recall, you accused me of being a "economic feudalist," (Whatever the hell that means).

Modern-day capitalism is an economic form of Fedualism; those at the top believe they are at the top through their inherent right to be so, because of qualities and advantages that they have which others (who they style their inferiors) do not. This is how they (you) justify the extreme inequity in pay that we see today; management and executives deserve millions, because they are 'worth it' in a way that the rest of their employees simply are not.

The false nature of this belief is clearly shown by the fact that executive pay bears no real relation to the quality of their performance, and Corporations have fought tooth and nail to prevent their shareholders from being able to control levels of executive pay. The underlying thought that pushes this, is the supposition that failure to pay your executives as well as other companies pay theirs, will lead to all the best people leaving your company. However, reality has shown that this is a false thought, and the effects of it are pernicious to our society in a wide variety of ways.

There is very little that distinguishes this modern-day belief from the classic belief that the Nobility deserves to own and control the vast majority of capital, because of inherent qualities within themselves that make them superior to their fellow man - regardless of their actual performance.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:57 pm
@Thomas,
That fits with my understanding re present handling of many city "park" areas, and no, I've no idea of the the day to day complexities of legality. I had a license that included city and regional planning, but I never worked in that area myself beyond holding some community meetings, unless you count housing tract design (glug glug), or highway design mid town in a small city. Well, maybe the land use exhibit at an LA museum would count (nah, but I learned a lot).

Those were just a dip in the pond re planning and I never did more than that. But, I still have pals who did.

So, I'll email them; one worked in the past with the community redevelopment agency in LA and one in the past with planning. I'll report back if they respond to my emails with other than swear word variations and jokes. Both can be sharp writers.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:58 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
.........He denies absolutely that misguided attempts by government to steer mortgage lending to low ingome folks and to limit the customary down payment requirements tracitionally imposed by banks had anything at all to do with the Mortgage bubble and the subsequent collapse (primarily resulting from the large scale default on sub prime mortgages). He resolutely denies that the profligate giveaway spending of the current administration can jeapordize our financial future and demands even more.

Instead he lays it all at the feet of evil members of another class.

Haven't read his posts but the mortgage deadwood sitting in bank books is worse than that. Not only sub-prime (loans that should never have been made, and wouldn't have been, were it not for our idiotic legislation, as you note), but also super-prime loans, made to wealthy individuals with perfect credit:
http://av.r.ftdata.co.uk/files/2011/10/111012-PrimeX-Markit.jpg
With interest rates coming down these loans traded above par, as you see, for a while - but now they're dropping like stones, because people know their homes are so far underwater price-wise they're just mailing the keys to the banks even though they're perfectly able to keep up with mortgage payments.

Valuation problems of bank assets aren't limited to European sovereigns, or Chinese state enterprises - but generally speaking most people everywhere seem to be more furious with their governments than with their wealthier neighbors. That may well be the case of many "Wall Street" protesters also.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:58 pm
@joefromchicago,
True.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Without looking into the details of this particular situation, it would be my guess that a developer at some point made this kind of deal that resulted in Zucotti Park.

Assuming that you're guessing correctly, where would that leave protesters and their First-Amendment rights? Do such parks count as public spaces, where protesters have the same right to peaceably assemble as on city property? Or do they count as private spaces, where protesters would be trespassing against private property? And what defines the distinction?
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

That helps explain why it happens, and some of why it makes sense to the participants. I wish that they would have agreed that such designated areas for public use would also be administrated publicly (even if it has to be then paid for), as the interests of the public and the private administration are inevitably going to have conflicts of interest over things like this.

That would certainly clarify the situation with regard to this protest, but, from the city's point of view, you can understand why it's better to have the park owned by the private entity rather than run by the parks department. The developer has to maintain it, pay taxes on it, etc., while the city gets a nice bit of open space. Furthermore, from the law's perspective, there's no difference between the park that's across the street from a skyscraper and the plaza that is on the same plot of land as the skyscraper -- they're both spaces open to the public, and they're both owned and maintained by the owners of the skyscraper. In terms of the optics, it's easier for the protesters to camp out in a park than on a plaza, but from the law's perspective it's all the same.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:17 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Assuming that you're guessing correctly, where does that leave protesters and their first-amendment rights? Do such parks count as public space, where they have a right to peacibly assemble, or do they count as private space, where they would be tresspassing against private property? And what defines the distinction?

That presents a rather tricky intersection of public and private rights. Much would depend on how NYC ordinances define such areas and on the terms by which the park was swapped for a zoning variance. My guess is that Zucotti Park is owned by a private entity but that the entity has granted a permanent easement to the city, allowing it to be used by the public. That easement, however, is not an absolute grant of all property rights to the city, so the owner still has some rights, including the right to kick people out if they are trespassing on some of the residual rights that the owner still maintains. That's one reason why the city, no doubt, is deferring to the owner at this point.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 01:17 pm
@joefromchicago,
I do understand the "get public space for free" motivation, and come to think of it, as long as all restrictions on this space are governed by public, not private, rules I wouldn't find it as conflicting in these situations.