Is dating someone who's a different race okay?

firefly

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 08:44 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
As long as firefly keeps trying to tell us that racism is ok as long as it fits his/her social conditioning,

I have never said that "racism is ok" in any manner or form.

Frankly, I think you just don't comprehend my posts or the points I have been making. And, until you show some evidence that you actually understand what I have been saying, I see no purpose in responding to you.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I deliberately and conciously live in a highly multi-cultural area of my city, where my kids classrooms are about as diverse as they could be.

My brother, as a teenager, became a member of an aboriginal tribe living on traditional lands in a traditional lifestyle,

My mother works in aboriginal health, with my father who is shockingly racist at times.

We have enjoyed Griha Pravesh with our Hindu neighbours of Indian decent who are several generations from Fiji, via New Zealand.

I love the diversity and multi-culturalism of this country, although many who say they support multi-culturalism actually support mono-culturalism with ethnic diversity.

Sure there's all sorts of stuff going on, and there are things I dislike about certain cultures too, but I'll insist that almost nothing can be assumed from skin colour alone, and the things that can all relate to skin colour itself.

(Oh, and I am talking dicitionary because I'm trying to defend this idea that I'm using my own special definition)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:03 pm
@Eorl,
Ok, you qualify for me to talk with.
(kidding, but not entirely, I'm not interested in blatant racists)

and who of us posting said things could be assumed re skin color?
Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

Is dating someone who's a different race okay?

(Krystal's mom) said " why would you date Ty when there are other cute white guys that you could date."
Like, I know her mom isn't racist because she likes Ty but It sounds like a racist thing to say don't you think?

The whole thread is predicated on the concept that there are races of human being (which I despute, as does Prof. Graves, an evolutionary biologist and professor of African American studies) and that cross-breading between said races could be somehow wrong... ie, not "okay".
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:26 pm
@Eorl,
I assume most of us know that already, at least so far on the thread. You are lecturing to people who (generally) agree with you on that.

It's almost quaint to see you trumpet it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, Hi, Gracie.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 11:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, it would seem not. Firefly, for instance, is insisting I don't understand what she's saying. I imagine you, at least, can see that I do, and that I disagree?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 12:24 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
As long as firefly keeps trying to tell us that racism is ok as long as it fits his/her social conditioning,
i think this thread will have some legs.
I think its been interesting.
Its not dead, yet!

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 12:42 am
@Eorl,
I understand you both (how hard is it?) and think you both get each other, while sailing past on the sea.

To me, Eorl, you are way too righteous adamant, like from a pinnacle, closed to nuances that people deal with all the time, and Firefly is all involved with speaking for a woman who may or may not be biased - to me, likely is, at least somewhat, but of course, maybe not.

I understand your sense of smell re racism - not sure you are correct in your diatribe in this case.

Diatribing wrongly is counterproductive.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 01:19 am
@firefly,
Quote:
But, in this instance, the mother isn't telling her child who she can love, she only voiced her preference about who she'd like to see her daughter date

Firefly, I want you to know that in general, I find your posts on this forum to be very well thought out and thoroughly researched and thus sensible and well worth reading.
I have a lot of time for reading what you write on this forum as I generally do learn something from what you write, even if I don't always agree, because you yourself seem to be someone who's more interested in imparting information in a non-biased fashion than someone who has an agenda, personal or otherwise.
Truthfully, I'd have to put you among the top five posters on this forum when it comes to speaking sense without the need to play any games or make any subject about whether or not you like the posters.

But here, you're splitting hairs. If a parent says, 'I'd rather you not date a person of this race and I'd rather you date a person of your own race,' I think we all know that means that parent is really, really hoping their child chooses a person of his/her own race to 'love' and mate with, wouldn't you say?

And why does the parent automatically discount ALL people of ANY OTHER RACE for her child to date (or love)?
Sorry but I think that's basically what she's saying here, when she says, 'Can't you find a nice white boy to date?'.
Jesus, as if ANY white boy would do more suitably than any other boy of any other race.
Oh yeah , you think it might be because she's just so, so frightened that her little baby will somehow get hurt or ostracized or whatever....again - give me a break.
Maybe it has more to do with the fact that she (the mother) will be embarrassed or not have cute little white grandchildren who look just like her.
Sounds very, very selfish, self-centered and close-minded. Okay - maybe not racist - but insular and close-minded- traits I think you'll find that often go hand and hand with the tendency to be biased and racist.

Quote:
It's interesting that you understand why a mother might not want her black son to date a white girl, and that her reasons might have nothing to do with racism

Yes, and probably has something to do with the fact that I have a black son.
Historically, Firefly, the black boys are the people who are looked at as having overstepped the boundaries society has set when it comes to interacting with or dating and marrying white girls.
And they're the ones who have been more tangibly (read- 'physically') punished for it.
Maybe that's why the mothers of black boys have more right to be afraid for their sons.
And it's the black boys who are looked at as not being 'good enough' for the white girls - not the other way around.
In this way, their sense of self is also harmed. How do you think it would feel to someone to know that they are automatically deemed not good enough or unsuitable to date another's child, based solely on the color of his skin?
Sorry - although I was the white girl in such a relationship - I know for a fact, it's the black boys who have more **** heaped upon them in interracial relationships.
That's why I believe these black mothers have more of a reason for concern for their child's well being than the white mothers do.

Quote:
But, a mother of a white girl might fear for her daughter's safety if she dated a black male, for exactly the same reasons the mother of that black male has--the negative or racist reactions of other people which might harm their child. If that was the reason for opposing, or being hesitant about endorsing the relationship, I wouldn't view either the black mother or the white mother as being racist. Both would simply be trying to protect their children from some of the unfortunate and ugly realities of the surrounding culture.

Yes, and my mother said exactly this to me when I told her I was dating a black boy. She was a southerner born in Texas in 1932 and conversant with the racial truths about that time and place. I was living in North Carolina in 1982 and conversant with the racial truths about that time and place. So when she said to me, 'Rebecca, I just don't want you to end up at the end of some dark road with a bullet in your head' (those were her exact words)...I reassured her and said, 'Mom - that just doesn't happen anymore. Don't worry about that.'
And that was that. Because that really WAS all she was worried about. She really didn't and doesn't hold any racist views that make her think that her white children are too good for people of other races. In fact, I know for a fact, the man I married was her favorite son-in-law. She told me that. She had the most in common with him and loved him for who he was.
She gave him a chance.
This woman is not giving this boy a chance.
She's painting the worst-case scenario and using it as a tool to keep her family white.

Quote:
Had it been the black mother who said to her son, "Can't you find any nice black girls to date?" I'm not sure that people would be so fast to conclude she was a racist. And, for all we know, she may have said that to her son

As I said earlier, there is more historical precedence for worrying about a black boy's safety when it comes to him dating a white girl.
Although, again, in this day and age, I do believe it is simply an excuse to justify keeping one's family 'pure'.
And I find that desire for racial 'purity' in a family, sort of racist - yeah- I do.
But yeah, black people can be racist too.

Anyway - thanks for the links. I have a day off today and I'll read them.
firefly

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 04:20 am
@aidan,
aidan, you may well be right. I'm not sure the mother wasn't being racist. I just wish we actually knew more about the interchange that actually went on between the girl and her mother. If, in response to the mother's saying, "Can't you find any nice white boys to date?" her daughter had said, "Why, what's wrong with Ty?" and gotten an answer, and we knew that answer, then we might have something more to go on. Your mother told you what her fears were for you, she was worried someone might harm you. This girl's mother might have fears for her daughter too, and for the boy as well, even just concerns about the two of them getting a hard time at school from some of their peers.

I actually do think this girl probably knew her mother would be up-tight about her dating the boy because he is black, and that may even be part of the reason she wanted to date him. Gracie describes the mother and daughter as arguing a lot, not that that's so unusual at that age, but I just have the sense that, "Can't you find any nice white boys to date?" might have been said, with a deep sigh of parental fatigue, by a mother who knew her daughter was deliberately pushing her buttons. Gracie also said that the mother's reaction made her friend want to date the boy more. So, more may be going on with the girl than just liking the boy and wanting to date him, it's also a way of aggravating her mother, and she may enjoy doing that. Of course, if the mother's aggravated because she holds racist attitudes, I think she deserves to be aggravated and miserable. Smile

Anyway, maybe Gracie will continue to keep us posted on how things are working out now that the two are dating and whether the mother is getting more accepting of the situation or more open about her real objections. At least the mother likes the boy, matters would be worse if she didn't.

Actually the biggest blow-outs I've witnessed in families, almost to the point of real tragedy, were not about the race of the partner the child selected to marry, they were about the religion being different than the one their child was brought up in. I saw parents acting like maniacs, disinheriting their children, considering them to be dead, driving them to serious suicide attempts, sheer insanity over the thought that their child was marrying out of the religion and that their grandchildren might be raised in another religion. And I saw this happen with families from three distinctly different ethnic/religious groups. So race isn't the only thing parents go nutsy over.

But I wish everyone would stop talking about marriage and having children in this thread. Laughing I really hope at the age of 15 or so, give or take a year in either direction, that these kids are more concerned with getting a drivers license than a marriage license, and that they're more focused on getting good grades and getting into a good college than contributing to the growth of the population.

Thanks for the nice words about my posts, aidan, I have always had similar feelings about your posts. A lot of other people are concerned with pushing an agenda, or needing to win an argument, or putting other people down, or playing all sorts of games with other posters. And I know you don't do those sorts of things either. The best thing someone can do for me is really make me think, the best thing a topic can do for me is really make me think. One reason I tend to write such long posts is because I enjoy the process of thinking things though, considering different facets, and organizing it in a coherent way--often I even surprise myself with where it goes. And I hope I occasionally make someone else stop and think. I am more interested in imparting information than just expressing an opinion or caring about whether someone agrees with me. So, your comments are much appreciated. I think I must put a lot of other people to sleep. Laughing

Eorl

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 05:01 am
@firefly,
Voted you up on that post. I apologize if I've been overly belligerent. I just really abhor racism, and I have a tendency too push my view to hard.

If only I wasn't so damn right so much! Twisted Evil
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 06:24 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
Voted you up on that post. I apologize if I've been overly belligerent.
I just really abhor racism, and I have a tendency too push my view to hard.

If only I wasn't so damn right so much! Twisted Evil
I feel the same way about gun control.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:39 pm
@GracieGirl,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW_rYLoIR08

Society's Child

Janis Ian

Come to my door, baby,
Face is clean and shining black as night.
My mother went to answer you know
That you looked so fine.
Now I could understand your tears and your shame,
She called you "boy" instead of your name.
When she wouldn't let you inside,
When she turned and said
"But honey, he's not our kind."
She says
I can't see you any more, baby,
Can't see you anymore.
Walk me down to school, baby,
Everybody's acting deaf and dumb.
Until they turn and say, "Why don't you stick to your own kind."
My teachers all laugh, their smirking stares,
Cutting deep down in our affairs.
Preachers of equality,
Think they believe it, then why won't they just let us be?
They say I can't see you anymore baby,
Can't see you anymore.
One of these days I'm gonna stop my listening
Gonna raise my head up high.
One of these days I'm gonna raise up my glistening wings and fly.
But that day will have to wait for a while.
Baby I'm only society's child.
When we're older things may change,
But for now this is the way, they must remain.
I say I can't see you anymore baby,
Can't see you anymore.
No, I don't want to see you anymore, baby.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 07:08 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
The whole thread is predicated on the concept that there are races of human being (which I despute, as does Prof. Graves, an evolutionary biologist and professor of African American studies)

Please, read this article
Exploring genetic differences in the new DNA age By Amy Harmon
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/09/world/americas/09iht-dna.4.8269929.html?pagewanted=all

I'll place some extracts.
Quote:
When scientists first decoded the human genome in 2000, they were quick to portray it as proof of humankind's remarkable similarity.
The DNA of any two people, they emphasized, is at least 99 percent identical.

But new research is increasingly exploring the remaining fraction to explain differences between people of different continental origins......

At the same time, genetic information is slipping out of the laboratory and into everyday life, carrying with it the inescapable message that people of different races have different DNA. ...

Such developments are providing some of the first tangible benefits of the genetic revolution. Yet some social critics fear they may also be giving long-discredited racial prejudices a new potency. The notion that race is more than skin-deep, they fear, could undermine principles of equal treatment and opportunity that have relied on the presumption that we are all created equal.

"We are living through an era of the ascendance of biology, and we have to be very careful," said William Henry Gates Jr., director of the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard University. "We will all be walking a fine line between using biology and allowing it to be abused."

The assertion that there is a genetic basis for race is surfacing on mainstream blogs, in college classrooms, and among the growing community of ancestry test-takers. Because of the ubiquity of DNA, it seems, the idea is occurring to many who had previously rejected or never before considered the possibility..............
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 07:34 am
Examine ALL of Pamela Rosa's posts and its clear she's a racist and a bigot. From the same article she cited above:

Quote:
"I've spent the last 10 years of my life researching how much genetic variability there is between populations," said Dr. David Altshuler, director of the Program in Medical and Population Genetics at the Broad Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts. "But living in America, it is so clear that the economic and social and educational differences have so much more influence than genes. People just somehow fixate on genetics, even if the influence is very small."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 07:38 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Examine ALL of Pamela Rosa's posts and its clear she's a racist and a bigot.
Which is worse than the other ?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 08:10 am
why are you ranking them, David?
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 10:31 am
@MontereyJack,
I'm not racist. I'm a speciesist!
BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 10:37 am
@Pamela Rosa,
You are a sick racist of the worst kind and we all can be very thankful that such voices in the public square are now treated with the contempt they had earn.

All the harm done to mankind over the generations by the likes of you is amazing and sad.

Is there not still existing KKK websites where you could feel more at home in talking about the mud people?