The horror of Sept. 11th, 2001

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:26 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
The fight was picked by the Englishman.

Well that is not quite the situation you described, nor is it exactly in the same context, of your original post, Tico.
That was what I responded to.
And now it's British louts picking on you! Wink

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:30 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
There's a fine line between patriotism and nazi thuggery, and if you start using your fists because you can't win any other way, you have crossed that line. I would never walk into a bar in America, or a pub in Australia intent on causing trouble. (Or anywhere else for that matter. If I don't like the clientelle I drink up and go somewhere else.)

That's rich.

Let me give a bit of back-story: I had attended one particular pub in Uxbridge for some time ("The Metropolitan"). I had made quite a few friends there with the regulars, and everyone was interested in the American ... it seemed they didn't get too many walking through their door. After several weeks, several of my friends announced they wanted to take me to visit another pub a couple blocks away. There, I was introduced around by my friends, and many of the denizens of the new pub came up to chat. After awhile the drunken lout in question came up to me and started to talk about the Gulf War (this was the summer of 1991). I don't recall his exact words, but he was getting himself worked up, and eventually got in my face, and was telling me all sorts of mean, nasty, ugly things about the United States. I have no idea if he thought ill of his own country due to its participation in the Gulf War. In any case, he was the "aggressor" -- he was the one spoiling for a fight, not me. I was merely there to oblige him.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:32 am
@msolga,
And drinking up, and going somewhere else still not an option.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:33 am
@Ticomaya,
Who threw the first punch?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:37 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
On the theme of pissing people off, it pisses me off that conservative Americans in this thread are turning this into an American-vs-foreigner thing. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least ten American A2K members in good standing who agree with Ms.Olga and disagree with them.

If you review this thread from the beginning, you will see that I do not disagree with Miss Olga because she's a foreigner. So you can go right ahead and get pissed off, Thomas, but you have no reason to get pissed of at me ... at least not for that purpose.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:39 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
You're an odd boy Tico. And if you can take a step back I'll think you'll agree.

I like you, HH, but that probably because you usually talk about music, and not politics.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:42 am
@Ticomaya,
I think that anyone who comes to our fair country, and then decides to go drinking in Uxbridge, needs our mental health services more than we do.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:45 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Sadly JW you're not the only one using A2K.

I wish! Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:47 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Quote:
The fight was picked by the Englishman.

Well that is not quite the situation you described, nor is it exactly in the same context, of your original post, Tico.

You read my first comment, and evidently jumped to an assumption about the context -- I didn't provide any context. The point I was trying to make did not need that context in order to be made. It was only when you (and izzythepush, and Thomas, and hingehead) leap to the conclusion you did -- that the situation was a loud, arrogant American throwing his weight around, censuring anyone who dared express a view contrary to his -- that I decided to offer the context.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Who threw the first punch?

None were thrown. Just some jarring. His friends pulled him back, and mine took me back to our pub.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:49 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I think that anyone who comes to our fair country, and then decides to go drinking in Uxbridge, needs our mental health services more than we do.

Well, in my defense, I was studying at Brunel, which just happens to be in Uxbridge. "Drinking in Uxbridge" was not my first choice. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:49 am
@Ticomaya,
Sorry, Tico.
I believe the original context was something to do with "no shades of grey" for you when it comes to "loving your country"?

Hey, go back & read it. Smile
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:51 am
@Ticomaya,
This story keeps changing. What statred off as a full blow pub brawl complete with piano player now turns out to be a load of handbags.
msolga

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 09:52 am
@izzythepush,
You could say that! Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 10:37 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Sorry, Tico.
I believe the original context was something to do with "no shades of grey" for you when it comes to "loving your country"?

Hey, go back & read it. Smile

I don't need to go back and read it to know that I provided no context for the circumstance where the Englishman was speaking ill of my country. I also don't need to go back and read it to recall that you jumped to a conclusion as to how that circumstance came about.

You evidently made an assumption based upon how you view me. (Like how I assume that you spend much of your time knitting with your cats climbing all over you.)
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 10:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
This story keeps changing. What statred off as a full blow pub brawl complete with piano player now turns out to be a load of handbags.

Wow. You have an active imagination. How does the story end in your mind?

Meanwhile, back in reality ... the "story" I told was this: "I remember vividly 20 years ago nearly coming to blows with an English man in a pub in London who was talking ill of the US with regard to the recent events in Iraq, and denigrating the first President Bush."
JTT

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 11:59 am
@trying2learn,
Quote:
I hope that the victims and families find some peace knowing that there are so many people that cared and still care about them, even though it has been 10 years.

It's been a damn sight longer than 10 years, T2L. The US has been terrorizing Iraqis and Afghans for well over 30 years. Cubans for over a century, Guatemala pretty much the same. Filipinos for close to a century before they threw the assholes out.

All these people, and many more, know that the US and the vast majority of its citizens cares not a fig about them. They know that the US is only there to steal their wealth.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 12:08 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
It hurts me to see the U.S. government make mistakes. However, I do not appreciate being constantly reminded of those mistakes. I know! I know already!

You need reminders, JW, when you use such nonsense as "mistakes". There would be no need for reminders if you paid the slightest bit of attention to the rule of law, if you held your first class war criminals to account, if you demanded that successive governments stopped committing brutal acts of terrorism against myriad countries, if you stopped using your military as an economic tool to advance US fortunes.

You truly don't know already! You don't have the faintest idea or, considering the horrible alternative, if you do, heaven help you. All you do is attempt to downplay it, to hide it, to wish it away.

That's not a patriotic citizen - that's a criminal mind doing what all criminals do, support other criminals.

And really, you're not even getting cut in for a fair share of the filthy lucre.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 12:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
where the Englishman was speaking ill of my country.

Knowing your history, I'd say he very well could have been speaking truths about your country. You really don't like anyone speaking the truth about your country, Tico. You start to whine and cry and then you go off sulking.

Tell us what he said.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:05 pm
@Ticomaya,
You've told me how the story ends, with a couple of handbags going 'oooooh' at each other. Is it one of your more popular anecdotes?