9/11/01: Mary Pope and Eurodiva

Miller

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 01:52 am
On the 8th anniversary of 9/11/01, let us pause and remember the many excellent contributions of old time Abuzzers, Mary Pope and Eurodiva ( both of whom are now deceased ) to our understanding of that fateful day in NYCity.

God Bless America

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:24 am
I was not posting back then. Am I to understand they died in the attacks? How terrible.

T
K
O
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:31 am
Eurodiva didn't. I'm not sure about Mary Pope.

Seems like an attempt of Miller's callously use other people's suffering to remind folks, "9/11, never forget!"
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:40 am
@DrewDad,
Mary Pope died at least a year before 9/11.

But there's nothing wrong with remembering old friends on a somber, solemn date such as this. Himself comes to mind. Mama Juana. Quite a few others. None of them had anything to do with 9/11, of course, but so what? Most of the people we remember on Veterans Day, 11/11, had nothing to do with the end of the so-called Great War in 1918 either.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
Most of the people we remember on Veterans Day, 11/11, had nothing to do with the end of the so-called Great War in 1918 either.

Veteran's day has been generalized to all veterans, really.

Memorial day for remembering those who have passed.

9/11 is a day of tragedy, but I see here only Miller's attempt to capitalize on other people's pain.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 02:40 pm
Miller and I disagree on almost everything but some medical matters once in a while. But here I agree totally.

I have long heard about Diva's tremendous effort in reporting to us all from the scene on 9/11 and on subsequent days - people who read her reports were very affected. I wasn't reading as two things were going on - I was knocked out of abuzz site access for weeks, even months, and I was busy having a biopsy that exact day, in a hospital gone weird.
Thomas and others can attest to Diva's fortitude. As, I take it, can Miller.

I'm not sure when Mary Pope died, will believe Andy, but I'll say she was very much loved, even by me who didn't know her as well as others.

Rest in peace, all.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 02:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I think that Thomas or another person had a quote clip of some of Diva's posts back then, on the thread he started after Diva died fairly recently.
Again, rest in peace.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:08 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Mary Pope. What a grand woman. She died after 9/11. I rowed for her the following weekend, had a ribbon for her on my lifevest, she was still alive at the time.

After 9/11, some of her neighbours were afraid to go out and get food as a result of attacks on Indian people in their area. She went out and got provisions for them.

Diva's contributions to her community after 9/11 are well documented in a number of fora.

They're among the men and women who helped care for friends, family and strangers after 9/11. It's awesome that many of us got to know them online, and in Diva's case in person.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks for the info re Mary Pope, Beth.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:25 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
9/11 is a day of tragedy, but I see here only Miller's attempt to capitalize on other people's pain.

A lot of the Abuzz crowd think of DivaDen when they think of 9/11, because of her actions on that day. She tried to help people and more than a few of them were very touched by it.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I stand corrected.

God Bless America.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:08 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Mary Pope died at least a year before 9/11.

But there's nothing wrong with remembering old friends on a somber, solemn date such as this. Himself comes to mind. Mama Juana. Quite a few others. None of them had anything to do with 9/11, of course, but so what? Most of the people we remember on Veterans Day, 11/11, had nothing to do with the end of the so-called Great War in 1918 either.

I think you may have your dates wrong. I recall chatting with Mary on the night of 9/11/01 about the planes flying over Boston that night.

Could there hae been two Mary Popes?

The Mary I remember had breast cancer.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:09 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Miller and I disagree on almost everything but some medical matters once in a while. But here I agree totally.

I have long heard about Diva's tremendous effort in reporting to us all from the scene on 9/11 and on subsequent days - people who read her reports were very affected. I wasn't reading as two things were going on - I was knocked out of abuzz site access for weeks, even months, and I was busy having a biopsy that exact day, in a hospital gone weird.
Thomas and others can attest to Diva's fortitude. As, I take it, can Miller.

I'm not sure when Mary Pope died, will believe Andy, but I'll say she was very much loved, even by me who didn't know her as well as others.

Rest in peace, all.

Thank you!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:10 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Mary Pope. What a grand woman. She died after 9/11. I rowed for her the following weekend, had a ribbon for her on my lifevest, she was still alive at the time.

After 9/11, some of her neighbours were afraid to go out and get food as a result of attacks on Indian people in their area. She went out and got provisions for them.

Diva's contributions to her community after 9/11 are well documented in a number of fora.

They're among the men and women who helped care for friends, family and strangers after 9/11. It's awesome that many of us got to know them online, and in Diva's case in person.

Very nice!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 11:27 am
My memory was obviously faulty on the date of Mary Pope's demise. My apologies to all.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:36 am
@Miller,
I'm sorry for the lateness of the reply but I was deeply touched by your tribute. I can attest to the truth and grace of Thedivaden/Eurodiva. I heard from the source herself the story of her noble deeds during that time. Not one day goes by which I don't think of her. Her absence has been difficult to handle.
0 Replies