The horror of Sept. 11th, 2001

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:39 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You've told me how the story ends, with a couple of handbags going 'oooooh' at each other.

I see ... let's recap:

First, you're upset because you thought I came to your country and picked a fight with one of your citizens, and you called me a "criminal yob" who engaged in "nazi thuggery" and "crossed that line", and you proclaimed that you would never do such a thing ... and when you found out that I wasn't the aggressor, you stated I still should have walked away and had my drink somewhere else.

Next, you're ridiculing me for not having thrown a punch.

You're a piece of work.

Quote:
Is it one of your more popular anecdotes?

Never told it before ... it's not very exciting, is it? Not nearly as exciting as your revision.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:50 pm
@Ticomaya,
I responded to what you said originally. 'Came to blows' would suggest a fight, and it sounded just like you were thumping someone just because they didn't share your world view. Then you became the plucky outsider picked on by the town bully and his mates. Then it became a couple of drunks eyeing each other up. I bet you weren't even in Uxbridge, you were probably in Ickenham. You only said it was Uxbridge to sound cool.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 01:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I responded to what you said originally.

You responded poorly to what I said originally.

Quote:
'Came to blows' would suggest a fight, and it sounded just like you were thumping someone just because they didn't share your world view. Then you became the plucky outsider picked on by the town bully and his mates. Then it became a couple of drunks eyeing each other up.

"Came to blows" would certainly suggest a fight. Except I never said I came to blows, did I?

LINK

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:02 pm
@Ticomaya,
To be quite honest I never bothered reading your original post, just MsO's, yours was over the page. Still reckon I'm right about Uxbridge.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I bet you weren't even in Uxbridge, you were probably in Ickenham. You only said it was Uxbridge to sound cool.

If I wanted to sound cool, I would have said Brighton.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:12 pm
@Ticomaya,
No, you would have sounded gay. Coolness is no guarantee, for every George Michael there's a Pee Wee Herman.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:14 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
....it pissed me off to no end to see folks to post their corollary political views about events that have transpired since then, in this thread, and on that day. And it seems that many non-Americans have chosen to post here their caterwauling about post-9/11 events, their despair about the War on Terror. You must know that would inflame some people. Like most Americans, 9/11 still strikes a raw nerve, for me, 10 years later. I remember vividly 20 years ago nearly coming to blows with an English man in a pub in London who was talking ill of the US with regard to the recent events in Iraq, and denigrating the first President Bush. I love my country, and I do not like those who do not.

Tico, you seriously questioned the rights of some Englishman, in his own country & probably at his own local pub, to have a view on such things?
And you almost got involved in a punch-up with him because his views were different to yours?
You don't think that was taking your love of your country & your patriotism a wee bit far? Wink

I certainly can appreciate the sensitivity of the unknown Englishman in his country and local pub, though in this context I do find it a bit odd that, in this case you also sympathize with his sensitivity, but strangely not that of others.

I also note that, in the piece you quoted, Tico has not specified how the confrontation came about and who or what might have incited it, though the context fairly clearly suggests that Tico was responding to someone else's aggression - something he has since confirmed.

You are, as ever, highly judgmental of others, but very tolerant of your own inconsistency in the same matters.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:16 pm
I think we should all go over there an beat the snot outta them pansy Limey bastards . . .
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:17 pm
@Setanta,
You could try.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:41 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Ticomaya wrote:
And it pissed me off to no end to see folks to post their corollary political views about events that have transpired since then, in this thread, and on that day. And it seems that many non-Americans have chosen to post here their caterwauling about post-9/11 events, their despair about the War on Terror.

On the theme of pissing people off, it pisses me off that conservative Americans in this thread are turning this into an American-vs-foreigner thing. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least ten American A2K members in good standing who agree with Ms.Olga and disagree with them.

And since you guys are trying to pull rank on her, let me reciprocate by pulling rank right back on you. I'm probably the only A2K member who knows both perspectives, having immigrated to the US from Germany. And while it is true that the move has changed a number of my opinions on American politics, it has not changed my opinions about 9/11. Not about the attack itself. Not about its abuse in rationalizing torture, abductions, and secret foreign prisons. Not about its abuse in manufacturing a fraudulent case for war in Iraq. Nothing. All these things are an ongoing part of 9/11's legacy. They are germane to a thread dedicated to "the horror of Sept.11th, 2001". I would find it disingenuous to cover them up behind a veneer of etiquette.

You, Georgeob1, and Finn are overplaying your hand with this 'Americans get it, foreigners don't' rhetoric.

I believe you have badly mischaracterized the positions expressed by those you criticized here. All three indicated that this was not the place for this commentary from whatever source it might come, and that the sting is made a bit worse coming from foreigners. That is merely a human reaction and just a supplement to the central point.

Even that didn't excite any response from me. Such insensitivity is part of the scene here. It wasn't until I got repeated doses of the characteristic shrill moralizing of Msolga on the matter that I was moved to express my opinion. Unfortunately we don't have any responses from Japanese whalers or Australian sheep exporters with which to compare human reactions to being the object her overwrought and (there is no better word) shrill judgementalism.

The most interesting element of all this is her remarkable inability to take even a small dose of the crap she so profusely spits out.

It appears to me that you may suffer from a mild form of the same disorder as well.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:51 pm
I wish to know how one gets to be a member in good standing.

is somebody keeping a list?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:55 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
To be quite honest I never bothered reading your original post, just MsO's, yours was over the page.

Not a very good defense. And by that I don't just mean that you shouldn't jump to conclusions without reading the original source ... what I mean is that you didn't even read Miss Olga's post very well. She said to me: "And you almost got involved in a punch-up with him because ..." She didn't assume I had actually been involved in a fight, she just assumed I was the aggressor. You, on the other hand, incorrectly assumed both.

Quote:
Still reckon I'm right about Uxbridge.

Nope ... wrong again.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:58 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
No, you would have sounded gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ...
izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 03:00 pm
@Ticomaya,
I never said there was, I just pointed out it wasn't automatically cool.

Anyway, back to the fight, when there's a fight, there's no time for thinking, you just pile in. It's called decisiveness.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 03:32 pm
@izzythepush,
I wouldn't just try, you little Brit fairy . . .
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 03:34 pm
@Setanta,
I'm pretty sure he's an elf.

how ironic to find you and tico with a common foe...
Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 03:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Hey, i've got absolutely nothing in common with that hateful **** Tico. I just saw an opportunity for a brawl, and thought i'd join in. (Do ya think i'm gettin' to him yet?)
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 03:49 pm
@Rockhead,
And, mercifully, I've nothing in common with that decrepit, fat-ass, ****-for-brains, Setanta.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 03:55 pm
And all I did was call Msolga a shrill harpie !!! Laughing
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 04:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

(Do ya think i'm gettin' to him yet?)

The only think you're gettin' is a bit sweaty.