The horror of Sept. 11th, 2001

wandeljw

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:18 pm
@JTT,
Rockhead is correct, JTT. In general, the number on a thread relates to the number of different posters. DrewDad's Neopets thread has a number of about 590. That thread is about a weekly internet contest which has a different riddle each week. People come from everywhere to discuss possible answers to each week's riddle.
wayne

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:18 pm
@JTT,
Sure I'll be here, in and out.
Let me be clear up front, I don't have a problem admitting that America is no less human than the rest of the world.
What I do have a problem with is the portrayal from the position of some kind of Utopia.
It's really ridiculous to point the propaganda finger, given all the pure propaganda you have spewed.
My statements on the mentality resulting from ww11 and the subsequent cold war or nothing less than the most truthful picture I am able to paint.
The fact is, America entered ww11 with practically nothing in the way of armed forces. By the end of the war, America found herself in control of the most powerful war machine ever known to man, capped with the most horrible weapon yet invented. Those are the facts, plain and simple.
Have we failed in our responsibility? Perhaps, but your willingness to judge us from a position of false Utopia is helpful only to those who would do worse.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:25 pm
@Rockhead,
I don't think so, Rocky & JW. As an experiment, I just clicked it up to 32. [I don't click threads up and down]

RJB's Republican prez thread has 2,091 replies but it's only at 51.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:26 pm
@JTT,
there is voting going on, but not so much as just traffic.

back to saving the world from the USA...
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 03:33 pm
@Rockhead,
I can't see it, but then I've never understood the intricate workings of the minds of the hamsters.

2849 views for this thread vs 29,866 views for RJB's but only a 20 differential in the thread "popularity". Sum'ns not meshin' quite right.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:00 pm
@Rockhead,
Forget saving the world. Let's keep JTT preoccupied with the numbers on each thread.
manored

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:11 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

I don't think there is any specific answer to that question.
Maybe our biggest mistake was believing the rest of the world would understand our sense of responsibility and cooperate. That was probably an arrogant and naive method of procedure.
One thing is pretty certain, all the hate mongering only serves the interests of those that wish to take advantage.
I think the faults of America are arrogance and a combative mentality. Arrogance, in believing themselves to be and know better than the rest of the world. Combativeness, on being quick to declare the other side evil and go to war rather than trying to negotiate and avoid conflict.
wayne

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:42 pm
@manored,
I think there is some truth in that, but I don't believe it's the whole truth.
America is the great melting pot of human existence. Every problem the world has ever seen with Idealism, Zealotry, and fanatical belief, America deals with in spades.
Yes, we are arrogant and quick to abandon our principles in favor of Idealism, and belief. Why should that be a surprise? That seems to be nothing more than human nature at work.
The thing that I believe gets overlooked is the principle at the base of the great American experiment.
I consider myself an American in every sense of the word. my principles are the product of American society.
My loyalties are thus, my family, my circle of friends, my community, my state, my country, my species, in exactly that order, any Ideals and subsequent beliefs all come second to that principle.
Granted, I am far from perfect but my ducks are all in a row underneath it all.
I don't see anyone else out there doing any better, so all the stone throwing at America is nothing more than the pot calling the kettle black.

If there is any people on this planet not struggling to uphold this principle against Idealism, I am not aware of it at this time.
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 04:55 pm
@wandeljw,
Not to worry, JW. Unlike some, I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 06:13 pm
@wayne,
I agree with most of what you've said here today, its refreshing to see a view from somewhere in the middle. No doubt left and right alike are gonna beat the crap outta you for that! I think the increasing polarisation of the world is obscuring the balanced view and infantilizing opinions.
manored

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 06:52 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I agree with most of what you've said here today, its refreshing to see a view from somewhere in the middle. No doubt left and right alike are gonna beat the crap outta you for that! I think the increasing polarisation of the world is obscuring the balanced view and infantilizing opinions.
Aye. As ideas get classified into "lefty" or "righty", they get more and more victimized by ad-hominems from the other side... instead of looking at the ideas, people look at what side is upholding them.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 06:55 pm
Saw this on a facebook status

R.I.P the 2976 Americans who lost their lives in 9/11. R.I.P the 48,644 Afgan and 1,690,903 Iraqi people that paid the ultimate price for a crime they didn't even commit. And are still paying for it!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:19 pm
I'm surprised this thread isn't more popular than it is. A bunch of leftist coming together to bash America ... makes for a very popular target for the majority of the posters at this forum.
roger

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:31 pm
@Ticomaya,
I've been wondering if that isn't why we have such a large membership.
wayne

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:34 pm
@Eorl,
Thanks Eorl, when it comes to such principles I don't mind taking a few shots.
I don't think the problems with polarization and conflicting Ideology are anything new, they just become increasingly apparent as our world population further stresses it's resources.
IMO the best thing that could happen to the human race is to be attacked by extraterrestrials Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:36 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
A bunch of leftist coming together to bash America

I'm surprised that you made it through law school, let alone high school. Your posts are typically childish. There's a young lady here who writes much more interesting, much more adult like postings than you, Arnuld.

And your focus on reality, really are you a lawyer, are you an adult?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:37 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Rockhead is correct, JTT. In general, the number on a thread relates to the number of different posters. DrewDad's Neopets thread has a number of about 590. That thread is about a weekly internet contest which has a different riddle each week. People come from everywhere to discuss possible answers to each week's riddle.

A thread can increment when someone votes it up, even without an accompanying post. It can also decrement if someone votes it down.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:42 pm
@DrewDad,
That's true, but I think your Neopets thread reflects the amazing number of different people who have posted on it. I once saw a Neopets site where someone provided a link to your thread.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 09:57 pm
@Ticomaya,
It all depends on how you are interpreting the contributions to this thread, Ticomaya ... (which btw is pretty "popular" by A2K standards, don't you think? Check out the numbers following it. That's how I gauge interest.)

What you choose to see as "a bunch of leftist coming together to bash America" might actually be people who fervently wish for saner US foreign policy, as compared to the horrors we've witnessed under the "war against terror".

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend that innocent Iraqi lives lost matter just as much as innocent American lives lost?
Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend that that Iraqi lives have just as much value as American lives?

You just don't get it, do you?
georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2011 10:30 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

What you choose to see as "a bunch of leftist coming together to bash America" might actually be people who fervently wish for saner US foreign policy, as compared to the horrors we've witnessed under the "war against terror".

You just don't get it, do you?

And what you choose to see as the horrors under the war against terror - that you have witnessed from a very safe and remote perspective - may look very different to others including a very large number of people in this country, Msolga. From their prespective you don't "get it" either.

In any event it is hardly considerate of you and the others whom Tyco has characterized as a "bunch of leftists" to gather on this thread to express your opposition. Has it occurred to you that some others may find all this a bit shrill, self-righteous and hypocritical?