I HAVE A CONFESSION!!

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:24 am
@Sturgis,
Crossed wires? Whoa. That sounds scary. How'd it happen. Did it hurt? Like your personality was different.

Sozobe, was he like a different person or was it just his writing? That's super weird.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:37 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Okay look - this has got me concerned. Email or pm me... seriously. You could be in for a major heartbreak. We always, always, always romanticize thing and if there's one thing I absolutely know it's that life is not romantic. So please, pm or email me for more details, hon.

Mame, everyone has different experiences in life, and yours are certainly
no one elses. Why on earth would you shatter a 13 year olds hopes and dreams with a harsh reality, that might never be there?
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 08:45 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
You could be in for a major heartbreak.

The operative word is "could", Mame.

It is my considered opinion that advice given to Gracie should be out in the open.

I definitely agree with JTT here.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:10 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Mame wrote:

Okay look - this has got me concerned. Email or pm me... seriously. You could be in for a major heartbreak. We always, always, always romanticize thing and if there's one thing I absolutely know it's that life is not romantic. So please, pm or email me for more details, hon.

Mame, everyone has different experiences in life, and yours are certainly
no one elses. Why on earth would you shatter a 13 year olds hopes and dreams with a harsh reality, that might never be there?

cj, everyone has different experiences in life, and yours are certainly
no one elses. Why on earth would you string a 13 year olds hopes and dreams along with a fantasy she may have in her head, that might never be there, in reality?

mame, I see where you are coming from, I don't know about pm'ing, maybe it is best if this is all kept here. Your decision of course.

JTT

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:16 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Why on earth would you string a 13 year olds hopes and dreams along with a fantasy she may have in her head, that might never be there, in reality?

Finding a balance would be nice, of course, but in walking that tightrope, I think the tendency is to err on the side of hope, for some very fair reasons.

Notice all the hedges you have chosen, "may have", "might never be there", Chai. Of course, none of us know for sure.
JPB

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:22 am
@chai2,
I took it to mean that Mame has a personal experience that she's willing to share with Gracie privately but doesn't want to flash it over the internet. I don't blame her.

Gracie, I just want to say that I think you're pretty wonderful. I know that you're dealing with a lot of "stuff" that is unique to you as well as the changes that occur with all teenage girls. The fact that you're doing it without your mother's guidance is weighing heavy on you, as is her decision to leave when you were young. That weight is in some ways very normal and in other ways very hard for you to figure out.

It's never easy to take just one day at a time when our heads are all bungled up with a bunch of stuff, but you've got a lifetime ahead of you to sort through what happened with your mom. You may or may not ever really come to understand what happened. The best advice I can give you is to make the best of your teen years - they're trying enough under normal circumstances, but they're also some of the best years of your life and you only get to live them once.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:26 am
@chai2,
I don't give her hopes, Chai. I am just reassuring her that her mom's leaving in all probability has nothing to do with her. It's one thing to encourage pipe dreams but it's another to tell her of all the bad experiences from your own life. This is a 13 year old, let's not forget that for a minute!

I can't believe that anyone would rain on Gracie's parade to unload their own baggage.
chai2

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:55 am
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:

Okay Mame. I will.

Chai, I don't really get what you mean.

When I said...Gracie, it has me concerned that you want to believe a lot of things are true about other people, so you can make it true for yourself too?

Well, because (and I can only speak of my personal experiences) when you said what you assumed was the relationship amongst me, my sisters and my mother. You want to believe we could have talked to her, you want to believe she loved us, and we her, and all of us each other.

Yeah, it can be heartbreaking and earth shattering when we discover things we want to believe aren't true.

So, when I was a number of years older than you are now, I decided to stop letting my heart get broken by trying to see things as they are, and not what I'd like them to be.
Like I said, I was older than you, and believe me, there have been times when I let hoping get the better of me. It's really freeing to not have expectations of how someone will be in a certain situation.

I'm trying to be really neutral here. Your mother may welcome meeting you, want to know about you. She may not.
You're worried that you may disappoint her by not being what she had hoped for. What if she's not what you hoped for?

This isn't an adoption issue of course, but on the side, I have always been very conflicted about people seeking out their birth parents. That of course is not the subject matter here.

Look up your mother if you must, but with no expectations of what will happen as a result.

chai2

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 09:57 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Why on earth would you string a 13 year olds hopes and dreams along with a fantasy she may have in her head, that might never be there, in reality?

Finding a balance would be nice, of course, but in walking that tightrope, I think the tendency is to err on the side of hope, for some very fair reasons.

Notice all the hedges you have chosen, "may have", "might never be there", Chai. Of course, none of us know for sure.

I suppose you didn't notice that I merely took cj's exact words, and changed a few words.

I hope you now know to point out to cj that she should notice all the hedges she has chosen, since they were hers, not mine.
chai2

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:01 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I don't give her hopes, Chai. I am just reassuring her that her mom's leaving in all probability has nothing to do with her. It's one thing to encourage pipe dreams but it's another to tell her of all the bad experiences from your own life. This is a 13 year old, let's not forget that for a minute!

I can't believe that anyone would rain on Gracie's parade to unload their own baggage.

I don't believe in reassuring someone of something that we have no idea if it's true or not.

As far as unloading bagging I haven't done that.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:42 am
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
Crossed wires? Whoa. That sounds scary. How'd it happen. Did it hurt? Like your personality was different.

Sozobe, was he like a different person or was it just his writing? That's super weird.
It was basically signals getting crossed in communication. I'd try to say something and it came out with a few words reversed, it still happens occasionally or I will place a word in a sentence which is completely out of context. It didn't qualify as a stroke, although the one symptom mimicked a stroke...everything else was fine (although I still have trouble with left and right, I have to concentrate and think which is which). Since I have a history of mangling words into a new form, it didn't alarm others as much as it did me. Once I was able to handle the words when speaking, I found that I was still stuck when writing them. ehBeth suggested the word games here and I took the advice...to other boards. Her advice was excellent, I used it, I just didn't try it here at A2K as I felt rather awkward by my difficulty. My verbal strategy was placing all my response posts (again, on other boards) first in an e-mail which I'd check for spelling and then read aloud before submitting.

As I previously indicated, as did sozobe, it was related to medical matters which had been going on for a while, there were a few related on the digestive, which led to a surgical, which led to post-op difficulties and the difficulty with speech/verbal skills.. No, it didn't hurt...at least not physically. Trying to communicate when one can't leads to frustration and anger, so there was a psychological pain which was in play. These days when an error happens, if I spot it, I fix it, if I don't and then notice it later I try to laugh it off. There are the "stumbling" days, where I have a much harder time, sometimes I take those as rest days and watch television, just watch sometimes, sound off...I find the traffic conditions channel to be fascinating at times...or grab a large sheet of paper and create fictional town maps (I've been doing that since at least the 6th grade which is about a half century ago), it's a way to escape life a little and to relax, calm down.

My personality was the same (at least I think it is) it was just how I placed words on the table which had changed and as sozobe indicated the meaning was clear the language was...slanted.

The bottom line is, don't ever give up.

Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:45 am
@Sturgis,
have you ever tried sim city?

I used to love building my own town. till it burns down. (they always seemed to catch fire...)
Sturgis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 10:55 am
@Rockhead,
Interesting...I'll need to look into that later, I just googled it as I'd never (that I recall) heard of it. Would be more eco-friendly.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 12:25 pm
@chai2,
I'm not trying to knock anyone down here, Chai, so I apologise if I've seemed too strident. I think that the main concern for all of us is Gracie. I believe in being honest and upfront with kids, they can handle it, but as I said, I think hope is nice too.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 01:44 pm
I want to pm Gracie about this, yes, and because it involved a sister of mine, I'd like to keep it between us and off the board. I'm not going to give her advice - just share a story for her to think about. She's not asking for advice, at any rate. I think chai said it best (I think it was chai) regarding expectations.
chai2

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 02:23 pm
@Mame,
Well mame, here's us two mean old cusses, going around upsetting the applecart.

Off subject (kinda), ever since I mentioned about being wary of the idea of adopted people contacting birth parents. I've had this TV segment going round and round in my head. It was on 20/20 or nightline or something.

Gracie, this isn't about you in particular.

Anyway, this young adult, in her 20's decided she needed to find her birth mother. I can't remember exactly, but I believe she found her, wrote or called her, and the birth mother said she did not want to meet her. She'd had the woman when she was quite young. She was now married, had children who didn't know this first baby existed. I guess her husband knew, but he would never bring it up. In other words, no one she dealt with now knew she'd had a child, and she'd just as soon keep it that way. The birth mother was probably glad this daughter was fine, but that was all.

This young woman wouldn't accept that, and persisted in trying to make contact. Now she had the camera crew with her. She actually went to this woman house, the camera crew filming, and she knocked and banged on the door. No answer (somehow it was known the woman was home). Well of course no answer. She sees cameramen out there, and she's already said she doesn't wih to get together with her daughter.

Here's the best (worst) part. The young woman proceeds to stand in front of the house, cameras rolling, where anyone walking by can hear, where neighbors could hear, and she starts yelling at the top of her lungs "MAME! MAME FROM CANDADA! PLEASE! PLEASE COME TALK TO ME! IT'S YOUR DAUGHTER CHAI TEA FROM TEXAS! I REALLY WANT TO TALK TO YOU MOM! PLEASE!"

I'm sitting there with my mouth hanging open thinking "holy ****"

So now, not only has this daughter who "has every right to meet my mother" let everyone within earshot know Mame has a kid no one knew about, it's gonna be on national TV. Basically, her children now know, friends, associates...everyone.

I thought is was so unfair that this poor woman had to have her present life invaded because someone thought they just had to know who their mother was.

Their mother and father are the people who took them into their family, cared for them every day of the year, fed clothed and loved them.

CJ, I know you're a smart woman, and if your daughters birth mother indicated she wanted no, or extrememly limited contact, i.e. meeting once for 5 minutes, just so your daughter could see what she looked like (better yet, if the woman chooses, she can just exchange photos).

However, where there is one person who has all these hopes pinned on something, they can make someone elses life a mess.

Speaking separately as to all this "we can't know" stuff. Well, it would be wise to approach meeting someone's birth mother, or Gracies mom, very delicately and with the willingness to back off at the slightest indication it's not welcome.

Gracie, I would hope for your sake your mother may want to meet with you. Sad to say, even though her leaving may not have anything to do with her 3 children, the fact is for whatever reason, she did leave. That's hard to hear, and I'm sure I'm pissing some adults off, but obviously something was going on that made it worth it for her not to be around.

Do you know if she has ever contacted your father about visitation?
GracieGirl

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 04:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
Hi Mommy CJ!

I meant what I said last night. Thanks for talking with me about everything. I dont really get to talk to anyone else about it. It felt really great to be able to just talk and be honest and hear what you and everyone had to say. I know chai and Mame are worried because they think your getting my hopes up but your not. I hope you meant what you said when you said that you think my mom loves me and would be happy to see me. I think you meant it but If you were just saying it to make me feel better I understand. I'm not stupid and Im not just a '13 year old'. I know that there's alot that I dont know about my parents and why my mom left. So you cant be 100% certain that my mom will wanna see me but It's great that you think she does. I think she does. I really really hope she does.

Anyway, yeah it was great talking to you and you really made me happy! Mr. Green I hope you know that now everytime I wanna talk or vent I'll be looking for you and I hope your okay with that! Haha! Laughing Laughing
JTT

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 04:26 pm
@chai2,
As my pappy always said, "A closed gate don't let out no cattle".
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 04:26 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

When I said...Gracie, it has me concerned that you want to believe a lot of things are true about other people, so you can make it true for yourself too?

Well, because (and I can only speak of my personal experiences) when you said what you assumed was the relationship amongst me, my sisters and my mother. You want to believe we could have talked to her, you want to believe she loved us, and we her, and all of us each other.

Yeah, it can be heartbreaking and earth shattering when we discover things we want to believe aren't true.

So, when I was a number of years older than you are now, I decided to stop letting my heart get broken by trying to see things as they are, and not what I'd like them to be.
Like I said, I was older than you, and believe me, there have been times when I let hoping get the better of me. It's really freeing to not have expectations of how someone will be in a certain situation.

I'm trying to be really neutral here. Your mother may welcome meeting you, want to know about you. She may not.
You're worried that you may disappoint her by not being what she had hoped for. What if she's not what you hoped for?

This isn't an adoption issue of course, but on the side, I have always been very conflicted about people seeking out their birth parents. That of course is not the subject matter here.

Look up your mother if you must, but with no expectations of what will happen as a result.

Im sorry. Yeah, I did assume and I guess your right with what you said. But she's your mom, she raised you and gave birth to you. She's your mom. How could she not love you?

Im gonna look for my mom because she's my mom and I wanna know her and talk to her even if its only for a little while. That's why I wanna talk to her soon. I kinda have this weird feeling that Im running out of time ya know? I cant explain it but I feel like the longer I wait the harder it'll be to find her and make her love me. I just want her to give me a chance. I want her to let me be her daughter. Yeah, maybe I do have expectations. Whats so wrong about that. Wouldnt you, if you were me? chai, what would you do and how would you feel if you were me? I dont think you really understand.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 04:41 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, I see what you mean chai but I dont want to ruin my moms life. I just want to be a part of it. Why did she even have me if she didnt want me? She has to care about me and want to know me at least a little chai. I never did anything to hurt her, at least not on purpose. I was only a baby when she left. So why would it be okay for her to hurt me and not let me be in her life, like she's ashamed of me or something? Do you really think thats fair.

That ladys mom that was on the show you watched seems really selfish and mean to me. All she cares about is herself and her life but what about her daughter who spent her whole life thinking about her mom and missing her and wanting to get to know her? you say that 'poor woman' but what about the 'poor daughter'? Dont you care about how she feels? Doesnt she matter chai?

If mom my really didnt wanna see me and she felt like I was 'invading' her life Id back off. I dont want to hurt my mom, even though she left me. I think she was wrong,but I forgive her. I just want to talk to her and see how she is and who she is and get to know her. And, yeah, I want her to love me and I want her to be happy to see and to want to be my mom but I know I can't force her. I just wonder how she could just walk away from us and move on with her life like we never existed. What kind of mom does that?

My dad says he hasnt heard from or seen my mom since she left. I dont think she wanted visitation though....