The kittens are coming!

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 09:39 am
@ehBeth,
His ears look weird...or are they pinned back?
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 05:22 pm
@dlowan,
Aaaarrrggghhhhh......just received anonymous letter under door stating they are planning to RAISE the strata fees.

Despite anonymity am feeling panic.

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 05:29 pm
Sebastian biffed you with his claws IN? That's progress, isn't it?
msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 05:30 pm
@dlowan,
Damn.
Sharing your alarm, Deb.
Does the letter say by how much it will be raised?
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 08:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Sebastian biffed you with his claws IN? That's progress, isn't it?

He's never biffed me with his claws OUT.

His biffing is kind of weird...he biffs anything that upsets him. Like he likes to explore water, but thinks it unacceptable that it's wet, so he biffs it, which makes him more outraged, so he biffs it harder, which makes him wetter, so he biffs it harder again.

He is gradually learning. If he ever biffs me with his claws out we shall have one of our very serious discussions, and he won't be doing it again.

I have seen cats on Yutube biffing things that frighten them, but I think being biffed by a cat over a carrot is odd.

He's teething I note, which is likely where the biting comes from. I wonder what the feline equivalent is to rusks or a teething ring?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 08:25 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Damn.
Sharing your alarm, Deb.
Does the letter say by how much it will be raised?

At this stage I don't even know whether the anonymous note is true. It was supposed to be that the rates went down at this meeting, as the raised ones were supposed to be an emergency. I am tempted t ring the strata company, but no good ever comes of that. I hope the note DOES raise enough alarm that numerous owners attend the meeting.

Unfortunately, a lot of them rent their apartment out and, according to the note, extravagant strata fees are good for them, as it increases the tax offset they can claim. I am unsure to what extent this is true.

However, to stem my panic, am arranging valuations both for sale and rental value. I will also find out if I would have to re-mortgage if I wanted to rent out and be able to claim expenses against tax. If I can't do that, and the fees don't come down, I will have to sell as rental would not cover my mortgage and all the fees and expenses, like strata fees, council fees, water rates etc. and I'd be paying rent on top of that.

So I guess I am preparing for the worst and hoping it won't happen.

margo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 08:53 pm
Strata fees would be the main subject of discussion at the Owners Corporation (or whatever is the SA equivalent) annual general meeting. It certainly was at mine.

Make sure you get there!
msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 11:11 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
At this stage I don't even know whether the anonymous note is true.

Ah, it was an anonymous note, not an official announcement.
Maybe it was from another resident in the same boat as you, Deb, trying to get more of you to attend the next meeting?
I agree with margo's advice.
Attend the next meeting & have your say.

In the meantime, it seems that your fuzzies are proving a very useful asset in your very busy life ... as emergency alarm clocks!
Forget about sleeping in, ever again! Smile
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 11:54 pm
oh, thought I remembered something about his playing with claws out, while Viola understood the point of keeping them in. guess i misremembered. in any case, i do hope your fees ultimately come down.
dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 01:35 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

Strata fees would be the main subject of discussion at the Owners Corporation (or whatever is the SA equivalent) annual general meeting. It certainly was at mine.

Make sure you get there!

Unfortunately I may not be able to get this lot of $1,200 paid in time. If I am not fully financial I will not be able to vote.

I have other major bills that always come in at the same time as the quarterly strata fees, and I normally have to pay them over a couple of months. I did manage to get ahead this quarter, so I only have $800 and something left to pay.....but the electricity, water, council rates, telephone people all fine me if I do not pay on the knocker. I will certainly do my best.
dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 01:35 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

oh, thought I remembered something about his playing with claws out, while Viola understood the point of keeping them in. guess i misremembered. in any case, i do hope your fees ultimately come down.

It's Sebastian's teeth that are the issue!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 02:41 am
@dlowan,
Throwing in an oy, on general principle. I'm worried.

Glad re the claws. PCs view their claws as weapons. Their teeth not so much.
dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 10:56 am
@Roberta,
Extent to which kittens have taken over living space ruefully apparent as I look to cleaning up for valuations.

Three litter trays......numerous toys....sundry perches and scratching posts....kitten litter of various types (mainly impromptu toys) everywhere...odd items that have been purloined and colonized as kitten toys ( like my favourite baskets), kitten colonized soft toys in odd places., cardboard boxes left out for kitten play.......the place is a madhouse!

Not to mention the chances of massive poohs during appraisals.

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Reasons to be cheerful...this will prompt the purge of all purges!

Good for the soul, or whatever the he'll it is that is freed by simplicity.
dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 11:14 am
@dlowan,
Grrrrrrrrrrrr....tried to change fascist iPad imposition of he'll instead of hell, but fascist hamster refused to let me edit.

I'm GLAD they die when we make mistakes!!!!!

As if rule by woollies is not sufficient challenge, despite their charm and affection, iPad crap and imaginary hamster crap is a little more than seems quite reasonable.

I say we outsource to the gerbils.....at least they know who's boss!
mags314772

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 06:22 pm
@dlowan,
Are strata fees similar to condo fees? If they are, I am feeling your pain. After my divorce I moved into a condo building, and, over time, was delinquent in my fees. The management company would have had the power to take my condo, despite the fact that I had no mortgage on it. I was terrified. I finally sold my unit. Condo boards and management companies scare the hell out of me.

As for appraisal purposes, I think cat paraphenalia only enhances the ambience. Cat poopage, not so much.
dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 10:20 pm
@mags314772,
Pretty much same thing, I think.

They'd not be able to take my place, but, after a long process, they'd likely be able to foc=rce me to sell and garnish their fees from the proceeds of sale.

I am not delinquent....just can't afford the current inflated fees and to live.

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:27 am
@dlowan,
Oh cool, not.

I just spok to an agent who recently sold a property in my building....he said the prices obtained right now are lower than they should be...because of the huge bloody strata fees.

I'm trapped!
Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 01:11 am
@dlowan,
Phooey and a half. My eyeballs are starting to spin around like cherries in a slot machine from all this.

Not having enough money is exactly like being trapped.

Not the first time today my eyeballs were spinning around. Trying to figure out how to pay for stuff--after I paid for the computer repair.

Throwing in another phooey.
dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:08 am
@Roberta,
Boida....save your worry for yourself (unless it helps to focus it on others, in which case, go for it!!!!)

I am essentially fine and very lucky.

Just fratched.

Kittens especially adorable tonight....except for smashing the glass in my favourite photo frame!!!!

Lovely woolly kisses and purrage and cuddles.

All they need is kitty valium.
0 Replies

mab3803

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 09:33 am
@dlowan,
He *does* want out. He is *sure* that he should be able to go out.
0 Replies