The kittens are coming!

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 02:38 am
@margo,
He was so BRAVE though!

Man....came home to two flat cats....it was 35 C in my living room!

Damned badly insulated house!
My non drinking episode came to an end. Tonight. INTAKE!

Aaarrrggghhhhhh!
Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:17 am
@dlowan,
What temperature is that in American?
dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:35 am
@Roberta,
Roughly 95F.

Didn't matter how hot it got outside.....up to 44C (112F) it never got hotter than 31C (88F) in my apartment.
Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 05:05 am
@dlowan,
Poor roasted woollies.

(Thanks for the translation.)
dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 11:56 pm
@Roberta,
Getting up to 104F here today....hatches battened down. I knew I was tired, but the amount I have slept in the past couple of days is ridiculous.

Big news is....the new Da Birds have arrived! joy in woolly land!
Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 12:46 am
@dlowan,
Holy heatwave. Too hot. Doesn't being near the ocean make things cooler?

Poor you. Poor woollies. Of course now that Da Birds have arrived, they'll be fine.

Sleep and keep cool, bunny.
dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:55 am
@Roberta,
Yep...it's generally cooler here. Got to 39.6 though.......that's well over 100F.

Was able to go for a walk at 8.00pm though. Cool change sometime tonight.
dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 09:20 pm
@dlowan,
Glorious weather! Woollies very happy that I am home.....and actually STAYING home....out of schedule. Problem is that they are, in a very subtle and civilized way, vieing for attention. Of course, Viola is the best girl cat in the universe and Sebastian the best boy cat, so all is equal. Convincing them of this takes finesse.

Second woolly Christmas.....and in such an unpredictably different space from their first. Nearly their second birthday! January 14th, Oz time. I would never have believed that we would be here a year ago. Oh my.

Can't imagine life without these mad cats!
sozobe

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 09:37 pm
@dlowan,
Glad the weather cooled off a bit and glad that the best boy cat in the universe and the best girl cat in the universe are with the best cat-mom in the universe.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 12:14 am
@dlowan,
scritch viola with your right hand and scritch sebastian with your left. The a2k spell checker does NOT like "scritch", stupid narrow minded spell checker.
dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 01:08 am
@MontereyJack,
Oh, I do.....but they KNOW when they're not having an exclusive scritch.
dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 04:17 am
@dlowan,
Sebastian had his first beach walk today....Christmas Day!

It's a very seaweedy beach, with lots of rocks and rock pools....very near a very good diving reef.

He came in the car with us like a little champion, just on his leash. Tried to catch the seagulls, then walked down the long, sandy ramp, to the beach.

Was a wee bit taken aback by the vast open spaces, but then pattered down to the sea with us. Found getting his paws wet in the rock pools a bit stunning....but then settled down to have a nice drink of all the lovely water. What a surprise the saltiness was!

He preferred to walk along the seaweed rather than the sand and was disappointed when he couldn't explore the vegetation up the cliffs very far.

He was very aware of all of us and dispensed his favours equally.

Was quite keen to get back up to the esplanade after a while....I think it was a bit overwhelming after a while.

There is the most fabulous conifer of some kind halfway up the ramp, where it turns and goes up the other way. It has huge branches reaching the ground, and Sebastian LOVED climbing and exploring it....tried to refuse to go home he loved it so much!

I have to say he is just the bravest and most amazing little fella! If only I could train him to like swimming with me!

He's a beach boy!
margo

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 05:24 am
@dlowan,
Wonderful description.

Sounds great fun, too.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 12:16 pm
@dlowan,
Glad you two had a good time at the beach. Any plans to include Viola?
dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 03:21 pm
@Thomas,
It's hard with Viola. She is very upset about being excluded.....but, in practice, she would HATE it.
Roberta

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 04:31 pm
@dlowan,
Picturing His Wooliness on the beach. Smiling big time. What a guy. What a trooper. What a cat! Thanks for sharing that.
dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:23 pm
@Roberta,
I forgot my iPhone...I'll take it next time and take pix. I'm a bit anxious about taking him on my own as this is high holiday season down here...and people take unleashed dogs down to the beach even though it's illegal....not that
I mind normally, at all....dogs on beaches are the best. But with only me to protect him.....

It's so wonderful here on weekends and holidays....my verandah is a shaded delight and it feels like holiday. I am sitting out there now enjoying the incredible soft breeze and the moving greenery all around me. I am almost fully protected from view from the street where I am sitting, and the plantings I have made will soon protect me more.

Woollies are actually sleeping instead Of demanding to be out here with me! I think they have so settled into the weekly rhythm that me being on a short holiday has confused them and they are acting as they do when I am at work on a Thursday as usual!
Da boids are calling...more traffic than is usual because of the holidays...and because the normally harmless alcoholic recluse two houses away has become the victim of the local young criminals, because his son needed accommodation when he was released after ten years in prison. The son is already back in because he immediately relapsed into crime...but the young crims he brought into his dads house are still here battening on the dad. I do hope they move on soon......the hoon driving and the constant concern about whether they will break in here (funding their drug habits) are somewhat off-putting , but c'est la vie......only I don't want them to hurt the woollies!

But you'd not know it to be paradise without a wee bit of snake, would you?
Thomas

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:51 pm
@dlowan,
Would she really hate it, though? Your reports, so far as I've read them, indicate that when you actually walked her through the outside world, she was surprisingly enthusiastic about it. I can see the assault-dog problem though.
mckenzie

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 01:33 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I do hope they move on soon......the hoon driving and the constant concern about whether they will break in here (funding their drug habits) are somewhat off-putting , but c'est la vie......only I don't want them to hurt the woollies!

Perhaps it’s time for a monitored home alarm? It’s not particularly expensive and worth more than it costs, in my opinion, because of the feeling of security it provides at nighttime or when we’re away from the house. It’s easy to incorporate fire, smoke and carbon monoxide detection as part of the system. If we’re leaving the dog at home, we simply deactivate the motion sensors
dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:34 am
@mckenzie,
Fire alarms are mandatory in all Oz homes so I have them.

The woollies are always home so an alarm is pretty useless, sadly.

I'd like to increase my window security, but cant afford it at present.

0 Replies