The kittens are coming!

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 05:52 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I have now got into bed and will be happy in whatever happens from here. They are both out doing something or other, but I expect them back soon.

Glad you're going to bed early, Deb. I'm sure you need to!
Your two will be there to join you very soon.
Sleep tight, all of you.
Night night.
dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:45 am
@msolga,
I lay down with my face next to theirs.

Lovely to see Viola relax more and more.....woollies ended up in each other's arms.....with Viola licking Sebastian. Come on boy.....SHE'S the one with liver all over her!

Then she woke and started trilling and patting my face with her paws....then back to sleep.

She woke a few minutes ago and began purring wildly and kissing me....then got up and asked for more chicken. Then she began running round and then had a game of chase mousie with us.

I stopped after a short time because I know her symptoms are masked by all the drugs. She is running around out there checking everything out again. Sebastian has eyes as round as saucers!

I hope she settles again in a bit....I don't think she should have too much excitement.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 07:51 am
@dlowan,
I'm so glad to see that Viola's home for the night.

dlowan wrote:
Sebastian can't quite take it all in but he's being a lovely gentleman.

I knew he could do it!

(just like Set Wink )
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 09:55 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Of course, apart from kissy visits, I have lost out to the heater!

Well, you've got to understand her perspective. Lately she's been very worried about her human, who's been struggling with both physical sickness and a psychological frailty of some kind. Sure, Viola is doing what she can to support the human with all her kissing and whatnot, but her buddies at the vets have noted her exaggerated affection and started to call her "the crazy human-lady". That hurt. No wonder she's eager to take a break from all this support she's giving you. She has a reputation to protect. Surely you must understand.
dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 02:04 pm
@Thomas,
Prussian!

Interesting night. Lots of being woken by Violas wanting to be vary affectionate. She spent parts of the night tucked up against me, kind of under my arm, and parts with Sebastian. Lots of lickings and pawings.

She woke again a while back..at five twenty am....and went and ate more chicken. I have been stroking them both.

She clearly had a fever for a while....was shivering....but didn't feel dangerously hot...and it settled.

You can tell she's not right.....but it's been so lovely to have her. It's going to be horrible for all of us when I take her back in a few hours. Thank heavens I have a cancellation this am, so we don't have to rush.

Poor baby...she doubtless thinks she's home for good, as does Sebastian.
Roberta

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 03:00 pm
@dlowan,
Sad she's going back. Glad she's had the time at home--glad for all three of you.

0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 03:22 pm
@dlowan,
What fantastic news!!!

Gotta love the Vets in Adelaide, they truly do seem to care and I'm so pleased you have your baby home dlowan...

0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 10:21 pm
@dlowan,
I've always made a point of checking this thread, Deb, and since your little girl got so sick, I've been checking it daily for updates and continuing to think positive. The poor little girl! Her poor mommy, too! I'm sure you feel a terrible sense of helpessness.

I'm so happy that you've been able to have her home and hope that it's the turning point and you'll be able to have her home for good soon.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:48 am
Checking in for the day's news. - a bit teary here.....
dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:34 am
@margo,
I'm a spigot!

No Viola home tonight. She's kept the drip in today...slept a lot. They want her to have the drip and see how her temperature goes. She ate here...though not heaps...but they are having to syringe feed her there.

Her temperature was ok when she got to the vet.

They are treating her for meningitis and severe gastroenteritis while we wait for fip results.

I will try to see her tomorrow evening. I am on duty but may be able to get away.

Sebastian is crying....I don't think he can make sense of it all.
dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:35 am
@dlowan,
Thank you all once again for your kindness!
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 04:55 am
@dlowan,
heart dropped.

dlowan, I think they wanted to see what Viola would do and she did good, she coped all night , all-beit you had to wake early.. Her temperature was OK when she returned.
See they aren't sure if it is fip or just something else, this is the thing take heart, please.. If they don't know then it's no certainty.

You are a Real Estate Agent/Property Manager? Is this what I am gathering? Another me Smile

Sebastian is OK, ok.. He knows his mate is sick, but he knows you hurt he will be there for you....................
dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 05:29 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Not quite.....they are awaiting test results for fip. These will take a few more days. They won't be conclusive...there's no conclusive test....but if she titres for the corona virus, which is the virus which becomes fip in some unfortunate cats, that, along with her symptoms, would strongly indicate fip.

Meanwhile they are treating her symptoms as well as giving her three different antibiotics which should treat the other two treatable causes of her symptoms. This as well as antiinflammatories, pain relief etc.

Last night she had pulled her drip out more than once and her legs are sore. Also, her temperature had stayed better. The vet wanted to rest her veins from the drip AND thought it safe for her to be without it overnight. Thus, she got to come home.

Today her temp has been not too bad. Vet wants to have her on drip tomorrow and give her all her meds. Apparently she's tough to get her meds down!!!! And they have to syringe feed her. She ate at home.

Tomorrow night IF all goes well tomorrow I should be able to take her home as they would be ok to see how her temp goes without the drip. We will then see if I can give her her multiple meds alone....they need two people, if i cant they are happy to trial me having her home but bringing her up twice a day for meds.

We would assess her Saturday.....if she was managing and ok at home we'd just wait for the fip results, with or without all the other treatments, if she continues unwell, euthanase.

I hope that is clear? It's a totally unpredictable thing. If her temp becomes dangerous again, I think we are out of reasonably kind options. I don't know if she has a day or a week or longer. How she responds over the next couple of days is the test.

I have to say, just having her home and, I guess, a while to get used to the situation, has made me calmer. A few days of reasonable life at home would make me very happy......I would like that rather than having to euthanase now, when she has had a horrible time and must be unable to understand what I am doing to her.

It has been very helpful getting the support here and from my cat loving friends and at work too...I think that has helped a lot. Also from the staff at the vet. I guess I tend to feel a bit wacky being so devastated ......but I am more accepting that I have the right to be now!

No, I am not a real estate agent. I work in Health.

Thank you for your concern, Found Soul!

Eva

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:25 pm
Checking in again from the road. So happy to hear that Viola got to spend a lovely night at home with you and Sebastian! How wonderful is that! I'm still hoping for good test results and recovery, no matter how long it takes. That little girl has a lot of folks pulling for her!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:37 pm
@dlowan,
Glad to hear that her time at home doesn't seem to have made anything worse. Other than distress for poor Sebastian seeing his girls leave him again (I wonder if he thinks Viola's off spending the day with you, while he's home alone).

Hopefully her temp will be stable overnight.

((((((( hugs and chin rubs all round ))))))))))
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:41 pm
Oh my goodness.

Have been out of town for more than a week -- when I left, nothing in particular was amiss. The heart ailment was known and in the background, but all was well. Just caught up on the rollercoaster of what's happened with Viola recently -- I'm so, so sorry, Deb.

I do completely understand how difficult this all is. And we all know how very much you love Viola. Who wouldn't, though, she's eminently lovable.

It sounds like some hope remains, especially after that good home visit. My fingers are crossed.

Big hugs to you.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 01:17 pm
deb, so lovely that you and your two little devils/darlings got to spend a family weekend together. I don't see how it could have been anything but therapeutic for her psychologically (and for the other two of you too). Hoping you three will have many more just as happy.
dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:58 pm
@MontereyJack,
Thank you again all for your lovely wishes.

Going to be a strained day.....waiting for news of how that damned temperature is going!

Mind you, I am on intake again, so may not have time to think about things at all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 04:17 pm
@sozobe,
Well, if this is the kind of **** that goes down when you're away, I have just one thing to say.

You're GROUNDED young lady.
sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 04:40 pm
@dlowan,
No kidding!

At the very least I will keep close tabs on this thread if I'm called away. (When does the temperature news arrive? Fingers crossed.)