Osama Bin Laden is dead

firefly

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:41 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Al Quaeda have acknowledged the death

Well, that helps to eliminate the need to release any photos of the corpse. If they believe he's dead, everyone else should be willing to accept it.

They also claim he made an audio recording a week before he was killed and that they plan to release it soon.
Lash

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 10:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
He's the only one I have on ignore as well and my pages are filled with those tiny green notices. I can't imagine what the threads really look like.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 11:04 pm
Maybe he was dumped at sea to keep the stone from being rolled away.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 11:22 pm
@Lash,
Imagine 8 additional pages of:

The US is a terrorist nation!

Americans are idiots for believing their lying leaders!

Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a lying coward!

Noam Chomsky says...

Apparently he has learned from his Marburg days that wishing for US soliders to die and putrify in the field will probably lose him even Fido's tolerance, and so there is not likely to be any of that filth.

But who knows? Now that some of our more left-leaning members (who in the past may have admired his willingness to speak truth to power...Man!) have gotten fed up with him, he may again be driven to levels of Marburgian rabidness.

If we all "ignore" him, he will have to go away...won't he?

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:11 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Maybe he was dumped at sea to keep the stone from being rolled away.

Quite.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 07:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If we all "ignore" him, he will have to go away...won't he?

If we all ignore him, who cares?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:42 am
@firefly,
Firefly says

They also claim he made an audio recording a week before he was killed and that they plan to release it soon.

Well I for one won't be buying it. The last one was so bad it made Justin Bieber look good.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:50 am
@Lash,
You are being disingenuous just like you were/have been disingenuous since this started. It's so amazing that folks can't see this when it's so blatant.

The gorilla is right there in front of y'all and you can't see her/him.

The US has supported numerous dictators in the ME for years and years and as soon as the people of those countries rise up, all on their own, to throw out the US supported dictators, there is this mad rush of Americans getting all gushy and applauding this great flowering of democracy. Some of these idiots, present company included, even going so far as to suggest that this was all GWB's doing.

Where is the sense of shame?

Quote:
I can't imagine what the threads really look like.

You know exactly what they look like. You know that there are lots of sources that point up the gross hypocrisy of the US and of people like you. Why do you try to advance a lie when everyone knows that exactly what you are doing?

You do recall, don't you, how you first cajoled then how you threatened "ignore" from the safety of PMs if I didn't stop telling the truth about "my country".

Where is the sense of shame? You don't see Germans screaming about how their country is the bestest in the whole wide world; you don't see them naming airports and boats after Hitler, Goebbels, etc, yet you name and laud war criminals like Reagan.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yes, imagine a person who has me on ignore madly speculating about what those posts contain. Imagine if that same person was actually one of those Americans who trumpets freedom of speech, the brisk and necessary flow of ideas, even those that "I" don't agree with.

Quote:
Apparently he has learned from his Marburg days

When you have nothing else, you throw up more lies. Nice try, Finn. You fled to ignore because I so had your number and it irked you badly that your shallow, perfidious statements were being dismantled in front of your eyes.

How is life, lived in a bubble chamber?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Laughing at your headlines... I think, in the least, a massive ignore will lead to introspection. That can be a very good thing. Everybody can't be wrong.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:11 am
I'm curious.

For those of you who are really bothered by OBL's death... how do you square your opinion of the US' behavior with OBL's status as active combatant in war? It's ok to kill opponents on the field of battle. OBL chose a different, shadowy field for his war against the US. It is there that he was killed. How is this different than conventional war? In choosing this asymmetrical battlefield, does OBL deserve a different set of rules?

Also, has your opinion of the US Commander in Cheif suffered as a result? He was all on board with the planning, execution and said "Good work" to the shooters.

Appreciate all opinions.
FBM

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:45 am
@Lash,
They say that the biggest problem with military commanders is that they're always fighting the last (previous) war. Conventional front lines have long disappeared. Hell, they disappeared in Viet Nam. Before that, they disappeared in Korea.

It's taken the US military command 10 years to adjust to the new reality. The front line is delineated along lines of mostly electronic intelligence. OSB was the biggest and most necessary of targets.

Even if the US's global political and economic behavior is far from impeccable, the military commanders are charged with learning how to fight the present war, not continuing to try to fight the last war.

The assassination of OBL is most probably a sign of how the wars of the future will be fought. No trenches and face-to-face attrition, but intelligence-gathering and stealth technology, combined with highly specialized operatives.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that it seems to be the way things are going.

JTT

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:11 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
OSB was the biggest

What the hell is OSB?

That's oriented strand board, which has replaced plywood for many building applications.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 04:38 pm
@Ticomaya,
Good point
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 05:21 pm
@Lash,
I'm a liberal, dirt worshipping, let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya type who is against the death penalty, and I saw this as a battle kill. I doubt OBL waved a white flag and asked for mercy. I'm sure he had an arsenal just out of reach and would have called himself a military leader if asked. I think the President made the right call. I don't think a trial would have benefited anyone.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 05:26 pm
@Green Witch,
I agree, but forgive me for wondering if you would feel the same way if Bush was still in the White House. After all, you worship dirt.
Green Witch

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 05:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think I would, if it played out the same. I was rooting for Bush to get OBL and I was pissed that he seemed to be more focused on Iraq. However, I believed the Bush administration when they said he was hiding in mountain caves, and thus difficult to find. I think the Obama administration thought outside of that "box" and that is why he was found.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 05:31 pm
Was Armando Iannucci, (British Comedy writer) right when he said that the message from the White House was, 'The world is a safer place following the death of Osama Bin Laden. Prepare for increased terrorist activity?'

Also my last post was a bit hasty. I might get the drum and bass remix.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 05:37 pm
@FBM,
FMB... Quote.....The assassination of OBL is most probably a sign of how the wars of the future will be fought. No trenches and face-to-face attrition, but intelligence-gathering and stealth technology, combined with highly specialized operatives... Unquote

If only.... A few hundred killed and wounded instead of many thousands of innocents a soldiers.... Bring it on.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 06:33 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I think the Obama administration thought outside of that "box" and that is why he was found.

Are you serious? In what way did the present administration think outside of that "box"?