Osama Bin Laden is dead

Ionus

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 07:24 am
@mysteryman,
I think there is a huge difference between cheering the death of one man, a figure head who is guilty of multiple murders and cheering the deaths of many innocents . I can accept people responding to it like they did, but I have trouble accepting the Arab world and their gloating over murder .
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 07:28 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Gee, US spy satellites have been going over the whole globe with a fine tooth comb for years. They know you have a beauty mark on your butt, Lash, and you think they could have missed this humongous compound.

Major naive comes to mind or else, the alternative, which ain't so pretty.

The "alternative" has been my read on this. I wonder if there is something in wikileak world that might clarify it.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 07:29 am
UH OH,
Maybe OBL isnt dead after all.

Activist Cindy Sheehan Posted this comment on Facebook earlier today.

Quote:
'I am sorry, but if you believe the newest death of OBL, you're stupid. Just think to yourself--they paraded Saddam's dead sons around to prove they were dead--why do you suppose they hastily buried this version of OBL at sea? This lying, murderous Empire can only exist with your brainwashed consent--just put your flags away and THINK!

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/cindy-sheehan/2011/05/02/cindy-sheehan-says-bin-laden-death-hoax#ixzz1LIOeSLuQ

So, knowing her reputation, since she said it it must be true, correct?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 07:46 am
@mysteryman,
Does Cindy know obama better than we do ?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:01 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
I think there is a huge difference between cheering the death of one man, a figure head who is guilty of multiple murders and cheering the deaths of many innocents .

Absolutely.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:01 am
@mysteryman,
She's obviously not got over the death of her son. At the end of the day we only know what's in our own experience. You've got to take some things on trust. Sadam's son's weren't paraded around they were photographed, and those photographs could have been faked. I think the explanation for Bin Laden's speedy burial is innocent enough.

A lot of conspiracy theorists believe they're the only ones who know the truth, but most of the time it's a reaction to not being able to live in the real world I think she may fit into that category, although to be fair I don't know a lot about her.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:14 am
@mysteryman,
Well stated, MM. That exactly how I feel.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:17 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
I think there is a huge difference between cheering the death of one man, a figure head who is guilty of multiple murders and cheering the deaths of many innocents .

Excellent point, Ionus.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:18 am
@mysteryman,
I feel the same. Thanks for standing there and saying it out loud.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:18 am
@ehBeth,
I definitely see the US motive for discovering the status quo in Pakistan and being inactive for a while - but are you suggesting we were in on hiding him in the first place? What would our motive be?
wandeljw

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:27 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

JTT wrote:
Gee, US spy satellites have been going over the whole globe with a fine tooth comb for years. They know you have a beauty mark on your butt, Lash, and you think they could have missed this humongous compound.

Major naive comes to mind or else, the alternative, which ain't so pretty.

The "alternative" has been my read on this. I wonder if there is something in wikileak world that might clarify it.

The WikiLeaks clarification might involve Facebook's evil collaboration with the U.S. government.

Quote:
WikiLeaks Founder: "Facebook is the most appalling spy machine that has ever been invented"
(Matt Brian, TheNextWeb.com, May 2, 2011)

Despite awaiting extradition to Sweden on sexual assault charges, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is still the subject of much media interest.

Russia Today (RT) interviewed Assange, getting his viewpoint on political unrest in Egypt and Libya, particularly probing what the Wikileaks founder makes of social media’s roles in the recent revolutions in both countries. In his interview, Assange focuses particularly on Facebook calling it the “most appalling spy machine that has ever been invented”.

Explaining in more detail, Assange affirms: "Here we have the world’s most comprehensive database about people, their relationships, their names, their addresses, their locations, their communications with each other, and their relatives, all sitting within the United States, all accessible to US Intelligence.”

According to Assange, it doesn’t stop with Facebook. He believes the social network is joined by Google, Yahoo and other major US organisations that have “built in interfaces for US Intelligence”: "It’s not a matter of serving a subpoena, they have an interface they have developed for US Intelligence to use. Now, is the case that Facebook is run by US Intelligence? No, it’s not like that. It’s simply that US Intelligence is able to bring to bear legal and political pressure to them. It’s costly for them to hand out individual records, one by one, so they have automated the process."

The Wikileaks founder then warns Facebook users, stating that if a user adds their friend to Facebook, they are “doing free work for US Intelligence agencies, in building this electronic database for them”.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:27 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I think there is a huge difference between cheering the death of one man, a figure head who is guilty of multiple murders and cheering the deaths of many innocents . I can accept people responding to it like they did, but I have trouble accepting the Arab world and their gloating over murder .

It all depends on your point of view. Those cheering American deaths likely did so because they believed Americans are responsible for killing others and it was justice being delievered to those who seemed to be beyond justice. I don't agree with that point of view but it is what it is. For those who hold that point of view, seeing Americans cheering in the street would have the same impact on them that their cheering did after 911 did on us. Osama's death is the closing chapter of a long and convoluted murder story. I can close the book with satisfaction but I don't see any reason to cheer. The dead did not return to life.
BillRM

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:32 am
@engineer,
Quote:
seeing Americans cheering in the street would have the same impact on them that their cheering did after 911 did on us. Osama's death is the closing chapter of a long and convoluted murder story. I can close the book with satisfaction but I don't see any reason to cheer.

Nonsense and no matter if we cheer or cry real tears over his death it is not going to affect people who held such a mass murder of innocent men women and children in high regards.

So here is a cheer from me.........
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:35 am
Leave the cheering to the crabs and wotnot on the sea floor that are nibbling away on the corpse about now. As for us, we should probably keep our eyes open towards the next few weeks, months and years...just my opinion....not worth much, but there it is....
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:36 am
@Ticomaya,
You're not really comparing like with like though. You live in a democracy with human rights and a free press. The people who were cheering after 9/11 don't. Most of the time they live in oppressive regimes, or under a brutal occupation, and blame a lot of it on America.

One of the successes of Bin Laden was that he was able to position himself and islamic fundamentalism as the only alternative to despostic regimes that for the most part are backed by America. Did you know that Iran was once a model democracy, until it was overthrown by the Shah in an American lead coup? You may not remember that but the Iranians do.

I'm only speculating here, but I imagine that those who were cheering were not celebrating the deaths of thousands of innocents, but that someone had struck back against the country that many believed had been oppressing them for years. I know that doesn't make it right, but it's easier to understand.

Arabs have long memories. They're still going on about the bloody crusades.

Still, one of the most promising things about Bin Laden's death was the muted reaction throughout the moslem world. If it had happened when Bush was president I'm sure there would have been demonstations world wide. Although I think it's more to do with the Arab spring than anything else. Anyway it looks like Al Qaida have got more to do with the past than the future and that can only be a good thing.
BillRM

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:43 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Leave the cheering to the crabs and wotnot on the sea floor that are nibbling away on the corpse about now. As for us, we should probably keep our eyes open towards the next few weeks, months and years...just my opinion....not worth much, but there it is....

Killing him or not killing him Cheering his death or not cheering his death is not going to affect our risks in any way or in any manner in my mind.

The people who had been willing to follow his wishes to kill our people is still going to do their best to kill us one way or another in any regards.

JTT

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 09:05 am
@Ticomaya,
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall that there was much cheering when Reagan died. If ever there was an empty headed figure head, it was Reagan. [maybe I'm being a little hasty - there was Bush JR].
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 09:07 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Killing him or not killing him Cheering his death or not cheering his death is not going to affect our risks in any way or in any manner in my mind.

The people who had been willing to follow his wishes to kill our people is still going to do their best to kill us one way or another in any regards.

I don't think the cheering , "USA #1!" on the White House lawn is going to do much to discourage the extremists. If anything, it'll be seen as a challenge to be met.

Just my opinion.

Could be wrong.
BillRM

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 09:15 am
@FBM,
Quote:
I don't think the cheering , "USA #1!" on the White House lawn is going to do much to discourage the extremists. If anything, it'll be seen as a challenge to be met.

Just my opinion.

So if no one did such cheering on the white house lawn then there would be one less person willing to put a suicide vest or underwear on is that your opinion?

But for the cheering there would be less plots to kill us being generated in the future is that your opinion?

JTT

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 09:30 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I definitely see the US motive for discovering the status quo in Pakistan and being inactive for a while - but are you suggesting we were in on hiding him in the first place? What would our motive be?

You seemingly are that thick, Lash. OBL, like a lot of other less than desirable individuals have been close friends and allies of the US. Take a look at the historical record, nooooo, not the propaganda that you're used to, the facts. OBL was made, supported by the US, as was the Taliban.

The US could have had OBL years ago. The Taliban offered him a number of times, but the US always refused. Bush refused, choosing instead to create a situation that caused the deaths of untold numbers of Afghans. And don't give me that bullshit about how Bush was trying to save them from the Taliban. The US didn't give a **** about the people of Afghanistan. They made and supported the Taliban for many years.

The US provided massive funding to fight the Soviets, and politicians in the US stated they had no problem with a million or so Afghans dying just as long as the US could hand the Soviets their own Vietnam.

French troops could have killed OBL twice but both times they were stopped by American forces.

Take a good close look at the deaths caused by the terrorist actions of OBL and Al Qaeda and compare them to those caused by the US. OBL and the boys are pikers, their numbers don't come anywhere close to the murderous actions of the US for over a century of terrorism.

Quote:

America’s Terrorist Training Camp
October 30, 2001

What’s the difference between Al Qaeda and Fort Benning?

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 30th October 2001

“If any government sponsors the outlaws and killers of innocents,” George Bush announced on the day he began bombing Afghanistan, “they have become outlaws and murderers themselves. And they will take that lonely path at their own peril.” I’m glad he said “any government”, as there’s one which, though it has yet to be identified as a sponsor of terrorism, requires his urgent attention.

For the past 55 years it has been running a terrorist training camp, whose victims massively outnumber the people killed by the attack on New York, the embassy bombings and the other atrocities laid, rightly or wrongly, at Al-Qaeda’s door. The camp is called the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, or WHISC. It is based in Fort Benning, Georgia, and it is funded by Mr Bush’s government

http://www.monbiot.com/2001/10/30/americas-terrorist-training-camp/

“If any government sponsors the outlaws and killers of innocents,” George Bush announced on the day he began bombing Afghanistan, “they have become outlaws and murderers themselves."

Why is it that when a US prez tells baldfaced lies like this, the entire US nation isn't rolling on the floor laughing their asses off?

Vietnam [millions of innocents killed], Nicaragua [40-50 thousand], Guatemala [tens of thousands], the Philippines [hundreds of thousands], Korea [millions], Japan [hundreds of thousands], Laos & Cambodia [million plus] , ... .
0 Replies