Hey, we're freezing over here!

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:20 pm
Piffka wrote:
You must have to get dressed in full winter gear everytime you go outside.

Outside? I have jeans, a t-shirt, a huge warm fleece, sox and slippers on and I'm still freezing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:25 pm
What? A horse arena? A dressage menage? I have the little booklet from the dressage federation on doing those correctly... back from the days when I was part of a stable. Are you using this?

Scroll down to the book "Underfoot" I cannot believe they're charging $9.00 for it. Sheesh. Would love to hear more about this job.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:26 pm
Yikes! Whittlek
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:46 pm
We got some snow the other night. Not enough to make me or the doggies REALLY happy, but enough to make things white all round. Temps are cold enough to keep the snow from getting slushy in the middle of the day. Just came back from walking the dogs. I wore: fleece lined boots, polar fleece pants, a t-shirt, two layered polar fleece sweaters (1 with a hood), a very funky polar fleece hat (it's warmer than the sheepskin elmer fudd hat when the wind is really blowing), a big, knee-length wind-breaker type thingie, double layered polar fleece mittens. I was pretty comfy. One of the dogs got ice in his pads, and started hopping, so I carried him for about a block and thawed him out a bit. Then he started romping again. Now for some serious snow to get here!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:48 pm
Yeah, k, me too. I'm wearing a really warm long underwear shirt, a fleece vest, jeans, wool sox and I'm sitting inside just about to put on my down booties. My heat's been set at 73F, but we've got an efficient furnace I guess. I got a call today from the gas people "thanking me" for not using too much gas during the past week. (Is that weird or what?) To go outside, I have to put on my beret or my Barmah cowboy hat which looks lots more beat-up than this one:
http://suncatcherhats.com/pics_barmah/1024.jpg
It's a great rain and snow hat -- that brim keeps the snow out of my face... also a heavy coat, big boots, gloves and a scarf -- ugh. Such a lot of trouble to stay warm.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:20 pm
I set the heat at 68. If I set it higher than that my gas bill is unpayable.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:21 pm
Canadian Temp conversion...........
70F/21C
Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear. People in Canada go swimming in the Lakes.
60F/15C
North Carolinians try to turn on the heat. People in Canada plant gardens.
50F/10C
Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Canada sunbathe.
40F/4C
Italian & English cars won't start. People in Canada drive with the windows down.
32F/0
Distilled water freezes. Lake Superior's water gets thicker.
20F/-6C
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats. People in Canada throw on a flannel shirt.
15/-9
Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Canada have the last cookout before it gets cold.
0/-17
People in Miami all die... Canadians lick the flagpole.
-20/-6
Californians fly away to Mexico. People in Canada get out their winter coats.
-40/-40
Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Canada are selling cookies door to door.
-60/
Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic. Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.
80 below
Mt. St. Helens freezes. People in Canada rent some videos.
100 below
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Canadians get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.
297 below
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products. Cows in Canada complain about farmers with cold hands.
460 below
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale). People in Canada start saying, "Cold 'nuff for ya?"
500 below
Hell freezes over.
The Leafs win the Stanley CupGet more from the Web
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:34 pm
Quote:
How do you handle having it be so cold where you live? When will it warm up? What kind of heat do you use? You must have to get dressed in full winter gear everytime you go outside.

Piffka, although this E-mail was done tongue in cheek....The canadian stuff down pretty accurate down to/well almost the Boy Scouts.
Spring thaw begins in April, but we have had snow every month of the year. Not every year, mind you, but it has happened. It doesn't really warm up till may, see above....and then we garden. Not all of canada suffers the severe cold winters we do, some get more snow, or in the case of la la land, they have grey skies and rain, rain, rain.
My house is heated with a natural gas furnace.

Canadian always get a kick out of going to warm countries and walking around in shorts in the "heat" and the locals are freezing and wearing sweaters, the temp will about 15/20F
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:42 pm
Laughing myself silly, Ceili!
This one really made me snort:
0/-17
People in Miami all die... Canadians lick the flagpole.
______

It is interesting how US citizens seem to think the closer they get to the Canadian border, the less habitable it is, YET almost all Canadians enjoy life just fine clustered within 100 miles of that same border.

Quote:
50F/10C
Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Canada sunbathe.

OK, I admit, I was born in California... I'd be shivering uncontrollably too except I've apparently got the thermostat set waaaaaaaay too high, it's so programmed though... that thing is constantly flipping between its four settings. Remember, they did call me to say I was being good and helping with the conservation. This house has two gas furnaces + gas cooktop + gas water heater... and the gas bill is between $60-100/mo. That seems totally reasonable to me.

Littlek -- 68? <smile> Rec'd a Christmas note from an old friend who said how much she liked some new friends, devotedly environmentally conscious folks... said she loved 'em but had to take a second coat when she went to visit.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 10:22 pm
All my major appliances, water heater ect are gas. My winter bill zeroes in around $ 100 canadain in the winter. I live in the largest northern city in the world. We are about 6/7 hours north of the border.
Alberta is a little different than most of the other provinces. In that, the land is habitable and arable a long way north.
Southern ontario is on the same horizontal plane as northern california. Edmonton is on the same horizontal plane as James Bay, just below Hudson's Bay. Moscow is farther south than edmonton but Belfast is equal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 10:34 pm
Gee, I feel guilty when I push mine up to 66. Ahhh, I had this horribly inefficient heater when I bought this house, and had gas/elec bills nearing $500. a month that first Jan and Feb. I sprung for a new efficient heater and the bill is way way down. I need to be warm or I just crawl in bed and read, not a great way to live over time.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:37 pm
Ceili wrote:
It warmed up over night, now we are sitting at a positively balmy -15C. Doesn't that just warm the cockles of your heart.

There's no such temperature. I'd die!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:39 pm
The highest gas bill I"ve ever had is $147. That's for 3 months.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:46 pm
Oooooh Ceili, I hope to never ever ever feel -15 again! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:58 pm
Piffka, you are sooo funny!!..... I just read through this thread....

I live about an hour away from Piffka.... I'm in the foothills of Mount Rainier.... I've been snowed-in for 6 days.... well, I could have driven on the roads, but I probably would have ended up in a ditch.... well, I could have put chains on my tires, if I'd really needed to get somewhere.... but that would have been a lot of fumbling with cold fingers while lying in the snow....

I have loved every minute of the past 6 days..... the snow is almost up to my knees.... it's soooo quiet and peaceful....

It's just now beginning to rain.... most of the snow will be gone in 24 hours.... and I'll have no excuse to stay home from work.... It was great, while it lasted!!

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:16 am
The temperature has been rising steadily since midday. I don't know what it is now, but it's very hot and humid for 9:20 pm. Gonna be hard to get to sleep tonight.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:26 am
Wilso wrote:
The temperature has been rising steadily since midday. I don't know what it is now, but it's very hot and humid for 9:20 pm. Gonna be hard to get to sleep tonight.

I'd die with that!

We're in the 50's (fahrenheit) today which is not at all bad for January Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 09:47 am
WOW more snow here and the drive to work took almost 2 hours - freezing snow - the defrost could not keep up had to stop like 8 times.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:09 am
PaL -- Thanks, I was hoping you'd come on... show us some of your photos!!! Your house must be built perfectly for this kind of weather. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I go from that child-like thrill of SNOW!!!! to total despair. I wouldn't have minded so much except for worrying about the Pearl.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RADZAkATOHi7b3dVLt3VlOpoHQG6TinxETvykuArbQck*8FEQ51bj5bNPIx4DSgPVE7N6LBuJRrF5QluZ5VOlFCxSRWaM7Gk1NbJ3qBIlJ0/DSCN3869.JPG?dc=4675454482781254622

As it happens, this is all slowly melting... we're at 0C though, so it is extremely slushy.

(I read over everything to find out why PaL thought this was so funny and saw I missed some posts... sorry. Honestly Beth, you wear a LOT of clothes! LOL)
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:15 am
Ok......I'm now with the rest of you guys.....its colder than a well diggers ass here. lol.....got down to 22F last night.....water froze....lol

Well....still happy about the cold though. I know....crazy huh? I wasn't raised up with snow every winter, or below freezing weather, so its nice to see it.....I guess if I had to deal with it everyday, I wouldn't be very happy about it.
0 Replies