good news and bad news for BBB

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 12:52 pm
Had to call an ambulance to take BBB back to the ER again last night, with Diane's help in convincing her that she needed to go.

More x-rays, dopplers and other tests were done. Nothing else showed up, but BBB is still in extreme pain. The new x-rays confirmed that there is indeed a fragment chipped off the top edge of her hip bone. The ER doctor says there really isn't anything that can be done about it other than giving the body time to heal itself, much like any other fractured bone. I told them I did not have the ability to care for BBB at home in the condition she is in. After about 10 hours in the ER exam room, they decided not to admit BBB to the hospital upstairs and instead to send her back to Kaseman rehab.

If you ever need someone to help lay down the law to a stubbornly independent patient, or need a kind soul to just hold your hand and keep you company in an ER waiting room, you couldn't ask for anyone better than Diane. Love you, babe.

I've had a few hours of sleep now and am about to head out to Kaseman and see what the plans are. Will post more when I know more.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Whereas I am glad she is getting the medical treatment and care, I am sorry to read she must return to the rehab facility, although it is for her own good towards recovery, it's got to be upsetting so soon after her return home.

Am glad you had Diane along for the extra prod for your mother and comfort towards you as you waited.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 01:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh gosh, sorry for the setback. Glad Diane was there to assist.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 02:22 pm
Brava for Diane and Butrflynet, molto brava for BBB.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 02:39 pm
Sorry to hear that BBB is back in rehab. Diane is a good person to have around.

All three of you should get some rest.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:23 pm
@Roberta,
Hang in there, "this too shall pass".
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 12:55 pm
I have never met Diane, or spoken with her, but I wanted to take the time to thank her very much, for the help, friendship, and love she has shown my mother and sister.

She is truly an angel.

Love ya Mom and Lynn

talk to ya soon.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:31 am
Any--preferably positive--change in BBB's situation?
Sturgis

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:37 am
Been wondering that as well.
Eva

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 10:25 am
@Sturgis,
Me too.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 10:50 am
@JLNobody,
Not much has changed. She saw her hip surgeon on Tuesday and he confirmed what the ER doctors had diagnosed and recommended. She got to look at the x-rays and see it for herself and see how small the chip is. That helped calm her down a bit. She was absolutely sure she'd destroyed her hip and was getting very depressed about it.

Basically, she has to stay active but with restricted movement of the hip, no abductor (side to side) movement of the leg, for at least two or three weeks to give the body a chance to form scar tissue over the chipped place.

She can't put much weight on the leg still, so is going to be at the rehab hospital for a while longer. I will be taking Madison in to see her at noon time so that should cheer her up.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 04:13 pm
@Butrflynet,
I would think that any movement would be beneficial, even moving the arms around while in a chair or bed. I think I'm going to follow my own advice right now (flap my arms and all) Thanks.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:06 pm
BBB is coming home from rehab tomorrow, IF we get instructions as to what to do if this severe pain in the hip occurs again so we don't have to make another trip to the ER in the middle of the night.

That's my one stipulation. I don't want any of us to have to endure another night at the ER if there isn't anything the ER can do for her.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Agree. You already know to question the instrictions.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, instructions.

Probing instructions is a good idea - but you both know that.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Rough time. Sad
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:39 am
@JLNobody,
Butrflynet brought me home about 11:45 yesterday. Dolly and Madison doggies went crazy at the door as I made it to my recliner chair. Lots of kisses to and from them. So glad to be home again with those I love.

I was able to go out to our back yard and see the new flowers that are blooming. The warm sunshine felt so good after being in the hospital for such a long time. Enjoyed a couple of Butrflynet's salads. So much better than hospital food. Butflynet showed me the one ripe tomato that so far avoided pecking by the friendly birds who wait every year for Butrflynet's garden to produce. She couldn't plant as many seed varieties as she did last year.

Butrflynet was able to get a long sleep last night without worry about my recovery. Son Stuart can also not worry so much. It's been hard for him to not be able to be with me instead of just talking by phone.

One thing that kept me from going nuts at the hospital was Sara, the young women who was also recovering from a much worse hip operation than mine. We talked all day long and got to be good buddies. We will keep in touch, even after she returns to her rural home in the mountains near and below Santa Fe. Butrflynet also likes Sara and may visit her home when she has recovered. Dolly and Madison doggies liked their visit with Sara because she liked to play with them a lot.

Another person who kept me sane was Chris, the wonderful man that worked so hard to get my hip well. He took care of me for my knee recovery last year, then again, twice, for my hip recovery this year. He drew a picture of what caused my hip relapse so I could understand what happened. He thinks I'm one of the funniest women he's ever met. I adore Chris and he considers me to be his "grandma".

My surgeon said I will probably have to walk with my walker for about three months. If my hip does not heal by then, he may have to operate on me again. I will try very hard to recover and avoid that.

It's 8:30 Wednesday morning now, and I'm going to give myself a warm shower and fresh clothes. Hope to be able to go to the shop today or tomorrow that is creating a new bottom for my left shoe so it will match my new right leg of 1-1/2 inches higher. Then it will be easier and safer for me to walk.

So glad to be able to post on A2K again. Thanks to everyone's support.

BBB

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:46 am
Glad you're home!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 08:46 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Welcome home BBB! You've been missed around these parts.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 09:17 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Welcome back BBB. You are indeed a tough old girl. I wish you and your daughter well and hope for your speedy recovery - without another operation.
0 Replies