good news and bad news for BBB

roger

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 01:42 am
@ossobuco,
There is kind of a modified squat that isn't such a strain. I had it on my list when I was recovering. You get one of those balance balls, or whatever you call them, and put it between your back and the wall. Now, you kind of roll down and back up. It removes some of the strain, and there is no chance of losing your balance because you are deliberately off balance and leaning on the ball.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 10:52 pm
@roger,
Roger, that's exactly how I do my squats. It makes the exercise very easy and safe. I didn't suggest it to BBB because I didn't think I could put it into words. You did it very well.
roger

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 10:57 pm
@JLNobody,
Now, that's high praise. I learned it from a physical therapist while recovering from some fractures to the pelvis
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:26 pm
@roger,
She's not anywhere near being able to even think about trying something like that and when she is, I would only want her to do it with two trained physical therapists at her side to catch her just in case she loses her focus and balance.

Some of her bones are pretty fragile at the moment and she has to be patient and take it one small baby step at a time.

Tuesday is her physical therapist's last home visit so I'm going to be checking around at some rehab places she can go to for further physical therapy, one with a pool and one-on-one trainer to help her in and out of the pool would be ideal.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 04:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yes, Butrflynet, I suppose "caution" at this stage is synomyous with "wisdom."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 04:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yeah, I was pretty sure of that. It's depressing when you think of how much work and pain you go through just to get into good enough condition to start really recovering.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:14 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

All hail Butterflynet!

let's say that again!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Don't know if it's an option where you are but one of the best rehab pools I've ever seen is one where the pool lowers after people get in.
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 03:20 pm
I love you bumblelistic bee

nice talking to you today.

As always I am so greatful and proud of my sis, for all she does for mama bee.

Love ya Lynn
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:36 am
Any news?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:47 pm
@JLNobody,
I'm walking beyond my home for half of the length of the block using 2 of my crutches. Madison doggie follows along with me to be sure I don't fall down. Dolly doggie can't go because she wanders off. Doctor says I will need another three months before the broken bone next to my hip that put me back in the hospital last month will heal enough for me to walk without problems. I'm trying hard to heal.

I've been watching the Olympics. So many of the activities remind me of so many of the sports I did until my right knee was so damage that I had my first knee surgery when I was 34, and I had to give up all of my sports. Another surgery in 198o and the final one in 2012, to finally fixed it so I could walk OK. My son has had both knee and hip replacements on his right leg, too. So sad because he was a winning swimmer, and he can't do it anymore. Daughter Butrflynet also was a winning swimmer. So far, her knees and hips have held up.

Dolly and Madison doggies are the most healthy among us---except that Madison had a treatment two weeks ago to have his Vet to put his neck back in place. Dolly checks out his neck every day to be sure he's OK to play.

BBB
JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:46 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I should think that all that swimming would result in very healthy hips and knees--or maybe it was too much strain. Well, we're all still here; that's good enough for me. Be well, L.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:55 am
@JLNobody,
Before JLNobody asks me how I'm doing, I'm reporting to him.

If I'm very careful, I have been walking around my house without my crutches. Not risking without crutches outside yet. Dolly and Madison doggies are amazed at my improvement. Butrflynet was nervous but is glad of my progress.

BBB
roger

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:09 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I would really appreciate if you would a conventional, lightweight walker for this kind of thing. Don't put any weight on in; in fact, you might sort of carry it along in front of you. It will be there if you need it, and if you don't, it won't take away from the exercise.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:21 pm
@roger,
Thanks for your advise. I've been working on my poor body for three months to overcome the bone that broke above my hip after my hip surgery. I've used three different devices to support my walking. I still use two of my crutches if I'm outside or when I get too tired to walk safely. My crutches are only waist-high, not shoulder high, which is safer for me. I've used them since 1980 and really work well with them. I also support my body by touching all of my furniture, etc. for balance when I'm walking. Dolly and Madison doggies are also careful to not trip me when I'm walking.

BBB
roger

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:24 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Good. We do NOT want to hear of anymore setbacks.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:38 pm
Thanks, BBB. Glad to hear things are moving progressively.
J.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:50 pm
@JLNobody,
BBB, I presume all is continuing swimmingly. Smile
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:54 pm
@JLNobody,
With the hip and knee, yes. She's walking around the house without aid of crutch or walker. Still using crutches when outdoors. Surgeon has given her another 3 months for the hip to continue healing properly before any further hip surgery decisions.

She developed a painful hernia a couple weeks ago that may be causing a bit of intestinal blockage. BBB will be having a CAT scan next week to determine if it will be a simple out-patient surgery or will involve a bit more and require a day or two stay in the hospital.

We got to see the brand new Presbyterian Hospital in Rio Rancho today. Man, what a beauty and such a big difference than the main one downtown. No more long long treks down hallways that lead to various elevators to get to different areas of the hospital.

I dropped her off at the main entrance and then went to park the car. She got within about 25 feet of the door and an orderly and volunteer came out to greet her with a transport chair and wheel her in to the registration desk.

We checked her in at the main registration desk and they directed us to the seating area to wait to be called. Before we even had a chance to sit down, they were calling her to go see the surgeon. By the time we got home, there was a call with instructions about the scheduled CAT scan next week. Depending on what the CAT scan shows and which surgery method will be needed, she'll have a hernia repair in about two weeks.

I hope this hospital still remains as efficient and friendly as people begin to start using it heavily. This is going to be our destination of choice from now on when having to go to the hospital for anything.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 11:15 am
@Butrflynet,
Wednesday at noon, I suddenly started starting having tremors in my chest area, lasting 8 events. My doctor's nurse said I should get to the emergency room in our hospital. When I went to the entrance, I told the entry staff that I thought the medicine my doctor orders for me to take was causing my illness. I told them my doctor had doubled the size of the medicine prescription a week before. When they put me in the emergency room, I repeated to them again about my opinion being the medicine size increase. I spent nine hours in the emergency room taking all kinds of treatments from medicine to devices. Then they moved me into my hospital room.

After a few more tests in the morning, the physician arrived to tell me that she believes the illness I had was caused by my physician's doubling my prescription is the cause of my pain. I (and she) laughed that I was right about my original opinion of the cause. They kept me another day to get the results of the previous tests and to do two more.

They released me so I could get my exam for permitting the surgery to repair my weakness in my abdominal wall. The big tester will advise us if we are a go for repairing my hernia. If I'm approved, I will be back in the hospital in about two weeks. I hope it will only take one day, but my old age may take a little longer.

I discovered I lost five pounds during the three days to 159, not too bad for 5-6/5 inches tall for an 83 year old woman . Wish I could loose weight that easy all of the time. Wouldn't hurt to loose another 20 pounds to get back to my younger days.

Poor Butrflynet and Stugotz are really worried about their mom. Me---I just want to be able to get in my car and drive it soon---and to end my kids fear for their mom.

Dolly and Madison doggies want everybody to be well so they can play all the time.

BBB