good news and bad news for BBB

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 12:06 pm
I have the idea that today is BBB's birthday. Happiest of birthdays, L.
0 Replies

Isabela

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:15 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
thats the great news. it would help lots of people facing the same problem. god bless you.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 01:05 pm
@Isabela,
Butrflynet will take me to my surgeon on July 19th. I hope the news is good, but we got bad news last week. My regular physician had me tested for the condition of my bones and the news was not good. My leg bones are so fragile that they are in danger of breaking.

My physician took me off the medication for osteoporosis about five years ago because it was not advised for so many years. Now, it looks like it will have to resume it. I was doing most of the exercises that I could do, such as walking and Treadmill every day. Unfortunately, this wore out my hip, resulting in my hip replacement this year. I have to avoid any exercise that would risk falling, or high-impact exercises that may cause fractures.

For many years, I've been careful about getting at least 1,200 milligrams per day of calcium and 800 - 1,000 international units of vitamin D3 to help my body to absorb calcium. Apparently, it hasn't been enough and I will have to take more medication for osteoporosis. It will include high-calcium foods including: cheese, ice cream, leafy green vegetables, such as spinach and collard greens, low-fat milk, salmon, sardines (with the bones), tofu, and yogurt. I eat a lot of them with some low-fat milk, not much tofu, but never sardines.

The only problem is that after my hip surgery I had very little appetite for food in the hospital. But when I got home after two months in the hospital, Butrflynet saw that I gradually ate more of her delicious food. She was good at sneaking good stuff like tofu and and yogurt into my food.

Now, on July 19th, I hope my surgeon finds my broken hip bone is healing well so that I don't have to have another surgery. I'm beginning to really hate hospitals. Dolly and Madison doggies are tired of me being in hospitals and want me home and well so they can play with me.

BBB
roger

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 01:13 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
On exercise, it sounds much like you had better develope a passion for swimming.

Yes, I can understand your feelings about hospitals.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:49 pm
@roger,
Roger, I recall reading that swimming is not so good for increasing bone density, that it doesn't provide the necessary resistance gotten from walking. But it's great for flexibility.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 02:54 pm
@JLNobody,
I've long read that too, JLN. On the other hand, pool exercises? Maybe the YMCA has appropriate classes? Pool exercise seems good for circulation. Maybe some physical therapy facility? Anyway, those type of questions will become clear after a talk with the surgeon.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:39 pm
@JLNobody,
Well, you are absolutely right. Sadly, I'm fairly sure anything that will increase bone density is going to include the risk of fractures.
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:20 pm
I Love You very Much Mom.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:00 pm
BBB, any results from your checkup today?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 11:10 am
@JLNobody,
My surgeon said my X-ray shows the bone break has not restored the break, but it appears to be slowly filling in between the break sides, which he thinks will take at least three more months. He said I could do more walking, even said my leg was strong enough that I could drive me car now. Butrflynet wants me to wait to drive. I just have to be very careful and work to strength my leg. He even said I could trying going to a water pool and see how much I can do. Do you think my Dolly and Madison would like to go with me?

By the way, I just got good news about Madison. When I woke up this morning, I noticed that he could hardly stand on one of his legs. Butrflynet had to carry him to the Vet at 10 am. Turns out that he had a dislocated neck, and the vet was able to relocate it OK. When Butrflynet drove him back home, I was crying because I feared I was going to lose another Bichon like my first Madison four years ago when his spine failed. But Madison is moving OK but will have a sore neck for a little while. Isn't Madison a beautiful and sweet dog? http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=792&bih=428&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=e4jmNYEsNVcoxM:&imgrefurl=http://dogbreedtrainings.com/category/bichon-frise/&docid=Gzw2c7PjfwfgqM&imgurl=http://dogbreedtrainings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Bichon-Frise-13.jpg&w=360&h=309&ei=rI8JUPPDCYWmrQGY1ry7Cg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=630&sig=116801575242987948283&page=2&tbnh=119&tbnw=133&start=12&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:12,i:184&tx=60&ty=38

BBB
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 11:16 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Don't cry and YES....get in the pool. See if there is PT with paddles or floats to build strength without stress.

Joe(broken shoulders)Nation
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 01:28 pm
Oh no.
I will be making my " rounds" on saturday. You two have my number . Let me know when I should come by. Smile Ill hug you until your head pops and if that doesnt make you feel better... Ill do it again... NO mercy. hehe
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:30 pm
@shewolfnm,
Check your FB PMs.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 10:59 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Regarding Madison's dislocation, isn't it wonderful how life's crises (e.g., your bone break) teach us what is truly important?
I would hesitate to drive just yet because of the possibility that you might have to suddenly bang your foot down on a pedal causing legbone trauma.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 09:55 am
@JLNobody,
Butrflynet made sure that I can't drive by letting my car motor go dead.

I try to take short walks with crutches during the day. I took Madison doggie for a walk with me this morning. He stayed right next to me. His neck seems OK. Dolly doggie has to watch out the window; she's not as well behaved as Madison. Dolly constantly checks Madison to be sure his neck is OK. They sure love each other.

BBB
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yep, the battery is dead until I recharge it.

Your surgeon said that WHEN you feel strong enough you can drive. We then talked about you swimming to help your rehab and you said you didn't think you could swim yet because you can barely lift your leg off the bed to do your rehab exercises.

That tells me you aren't ready to be driving yet since you have to be able to lift your leg to apply the brakes. Sorry, you're stuck with me being your chauffeur for a while longer. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:24 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Sounds like it's close to time for you to go for a trip to the rehab pool. The water will provide a bit of resistance, but will also provide some support without being harsh on the joints.

Swimming comes way before driving.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:31 pm
@ehBeth,
And by no means should you do squats with weights. Razz
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:12 pm
@JLNobody,
Squat much?

You actually may. Me, I'm newly aware of need to do these.
dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 01:34 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
All hail Butterflynet!

She's saving you from yourself. You'd hurtle to your doom.