good news and bad news for BBB

CowDoc

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 08:24 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Glad you made it back, but sorry we didn't get to see you in Albuquerque. We'll be sure to catch up with you next time through!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 08:32 am
@CowDoc,
I wish I could have seen you but surgery came first. Diane told me about how great it was to see you again. Glad Roger got to see you too.

BBB
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 10:34 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
What Roberta and Msolga said.
And I agree regarding Zakaria.
Please continue to enjoy your doggie songs, sleeping on your side and showering. That's why we suffer in hospitals and elsewhere--it's the contrast I guess.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 12:31 pm
Speaking of doggie songs...this was about an hour after she got home and they were still making goo goo eyes at each other while singing their hearts out. I think the dogs wore out their tongues with licking her so much, especially Nurse Dolly.

firefly

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 01:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
The mutual love in that video is so heartwarming and sweet to watch. I was smiling while enjoying it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 03:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
that is some kind of wonderful love

thank you for sharing this with us
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 03:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
Awwwwwwwww!!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 08:49 am
@ossobuco,
I'm learning to get dressed with grabbers that allow me to pull on underwear, pants, shoes, etc. so I don't have to bend until my hip replacement has healed so it won't fail. Really strange to not be allowed to bend more than 90 degrees, which eliminates almost everything. If I'm sitting on a chair, that means I have no degrees left to me and I cannot bend. I wish I had taught Dolly and Madison doggies to pick up anything I've dropped to the floor and bring it to me.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:00 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
One of the benefits of being back home with Butrflynet is she is such a great cook. Yesterday, I had a wonderful breakfast and dinner, so much better than hospital food. I got to give Dolly and Madison doggies their morning biscuits, which they love.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:14 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
That must be hard keep remembering.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 09:52 am
@ossobuco,
Not bending is the hardest to learn, remember and obey. It's not natural, but must be to end up with a successful new hip. For example, I can't pick up the toys left on the floor by Dolly and Madison doggies. I can't put my shoes on my feet. No bending!!!

By the way, the surgery caused my right leg to be at least 1-1/2 inches longer, which doesn't match my left leg. Will have to have new shoes to correct the difference so that I can walk appropriately.

My advise is for you to protect your knees and hips so you don't have to go through what I've had to, especially at an old age. However, I'm glad doctors have learned to replace those injured bones.

BBB
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 10:58 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Me too.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 05:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB, your my avant garde. I'm entering that time of life where knee and hip work will be very likely. The more you can tell about your experience the more I and other A2Kers will profit. I wish you the best.
JLN
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 01:39 pm
Had to call an ambulance to take BBB to the ER last night. Around midnight, she was getting ready for bed and walking from her bathroom to her bed, using her walker, and about 3 feet from the bed suddenly heard and felt a pop in her hip. She couldn't put any weight on that leg and could not move it. She was able to hobble to the edge of her bed without falling and then yelled for me to come from the other end of the house. I was able to lift her legs onto the bed, causing her more agony.

I called 911 and we had the EMTs and the fire department here in about 10 minutes. The bedroom door was too narrow for the gurney so they carried her out using the bed sheet as a sling.

Got to ER and x-rays were done. Everything looked fine, all the hip hardware was in place and nothing appeared to be malfunctioning or dislocated. Talking with us to get more history, we told her of the osteoporosis and the crumbling bones found in her leg when they did the knee surgery last year. The doctor went back and looked at the x-ray again and noticed at the edge of the top of her hip bone there is a small chip of bone missing that wasn't missing in the x-ray from the 15th. It isn't anywhere near where the hip socket is. She thinks the pop may have been either from that chip snapping off or the hip may have temporarily popped out of place slightly and then moved back in place on its own. They said there is nothing to be done about the chipped bone and that it will take a few weeks for the agonizing pain to subdue.

We were given a choice of mom going back to the rehab hospital or coming home. She chose to come home. So, she's on heavy duty narcotics and taking it easy until Tuesday when we go see her hip surgeon.

She insisted I take her to the orthotic shoe place this morning regardless of the pain so she could get the process of getting fitted for shoe lifts started. So, we doubled up on the pain pills and got that out of the way.

I'm waiting for what will hopefully be the third and final event in this series of mishaps to occur...everything always happens in threes around here.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 01:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Owwwwie.
Glad re no dislocation (?), and hardware in place. Very disconcerting, especially the pain. Gotta say, there's been a bad moon arisin' in our neighborhood lately.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:11 pm
More pain. Enough already.

Hoping for the best.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:49 pm
Tough news. Hoping for the best.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 04:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
I admire BBB's determination, i.e.,to get the orthotic shoe fit now rather than after the hip issue is resolved. I hope her drugs are working.
How's your sleep, Butrflynet?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 08:00 pm
@JLNobody,
Today. she's sleeping a lot, as am I. We're both worn out after the ER and trip to the orthotic place.

Hopefully things will get back to a close to normal routine soon. We postponed visits from the physical therapists, occupational therapists and other helpful folks until after next week. Next week is full of doctor appointments with her surgeon and primary care doc. We should also get the first version of the new orthotics for BBB to test drive next week. We just need a few days of down time to regroup before all the activity starts up again. The activity won't be as painful for BBB once she has good shoes to level out her legs.
Stugotz

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 06:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks again for all you do for Mom Lynn.

I love you both
0 Replies