ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:40 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
May the lab tests be fine..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 03:03 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Glad to hear this, BBB. Hope the final tests are OK too.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 01:17 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB, I hope things turn in a better direction for you. I never knew you had so many physical problems. One would never know it from your oh-so-positive attitude. You certainly don't have any problems with your brain.
Good luck.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:23 pm
@JLNobody,
I received more good new this afternoon. My physician had a surgery canceled and mine is moved up from July 11th to June 27th, which I was so happy about. Then, when I hurt from my old knee, at least it will be because I have a new knee.

BBB
dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:27 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Good!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:09 pm
@dlowan,
My surgery has been approved.

Yesterday, 6/14, Butrflynet and I spent nearly five hours at the hospital meeting with my physician's assistant, four different departments and nurses, and an anesthesiologist. Lots of reviewing reports, body testing, even nose bacteria testing, new x-rays, home prep instructions, signing papers, and lots of assuring themselves that I can survive the surgery on 6/27.

I'm scared despite their confidence. The physician said he understands my fear considering the damage done during my first knee replacement in 1980 and my age.

BBB
Roberta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:27 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Rooting for you, BBB.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:58 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Your fears are understandable, but the most likely outcome is a significant improvement in your current situation (perhaps the doctors recognize that you are a tough customer). I wish you good luck and a good outcome.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 01:01 pm
@georgeob1,
I will have to survive just for you, George.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 01:37 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'd be scared, too. But optimistic at the same time.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:13 am
@roger,
I've started the cleansing processes for my surgery.

No baby aspirin to keep my blood thin 7 days before surgery.

Daily anti-infection agent baths 5 days before surgery to remove any infectious agents that may be on my skin, covering by body except my face.

I'm waiting for a test report if I have any infectious agents in my nose. If some is found, more treatment will be required in my nose.

Ain't trying to prevent infections in my knee fun?

BBB

georgeob1

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:11 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Roll with it BBB. An infection in the joint could be very serious and they are trying hard to drive the odds down to zero.

Besides, I think you are a tough critter: your spit would kill germs !
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:29 am
@georgeob1,
I'm encouraged by the difference between knee surgery preping in 1980 (none) and now in 2011. I know they are taking all protection because of my age.

You are right on target. I save my spit for those who are hurting the working classes!

BBB
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 11:37 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
This is both scary and sort of exciting, BBB. We're in your corner.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 02:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Ain't trying to prevent infections in my knee fun?

BBB

wow.
well.. at least its going to be for something helpful but yeah.. that seems a bit tiresome. I can understand the complaints.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 03:31 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
She'll also be back on Coumadin for 4 months starting the day before the surgery.

At least this time it will be during the summer when she has the Coumadin chills!

I don't get it. They have her stop taking all the various aspirins that were prescribed to keep her blood thin and then have her take a double dose of Coumadin the night before the surgery.

The doctor said it wasn't necessary for her to donate and store her own blood for the surgery, that he prefers to not use extra blood during surgery unless it is absolutely necessary to save a life.

Seems to me that if you have a patient prepped with Coumadin the night before surgery, you're just asking for some extra blood loss. Seems backwards and dangerous to me, but I guess with her history of blood clots, this is what they have to do.

She'll be at Presbyterian Hospital for about 4 to 5 days and then will either be released to a rehab facility or come home, depending on how her recovery and physical therapy is going.
roger

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 04:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Seems to me that if you have a patient prepped with Coumadin the night before surgery, you're just asking for some extra blood loss. Seems backwards and dangerous to me, but I guess with her history of blood clots, this is what they have to do.

I couldn't agree more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 05:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
I see your point. On the other hand, she'll be off of aspirin for a while, so it's not adding thinned to thinned, but thinned as a post surg preventative. (JPB knows more about this stuff, I think). Maybe this is a tested protocol. I can also see reasons for her not donating, especially if she has a common typing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:55 am
Thinking of Bumblebeeboogie this morning, and Butrflynet too.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:00 am
@ossobuco,
Thinking good thoughts eh.
0 Replies