ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 07:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Listening.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 08:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
Did they offer an explanation of why one leg needed to be longer than the other? It sounds kind of unnecessary, just offhand.
firefly

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 06:41 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
I found a couple of orthotic places in Albuquerque to take her to once she's out of rehab so they can determine her needs and design some shoes that have the lifts without being so heavy that it easily falls off her foot. She has an extremely narrow foot (4A) and it makes finding a shoe that will work for her a challenge.

There are makes of shoes that have extra depth to accommodate an orthotic insert. You might be able to find some in your area.

Something like this might work for BBB, it comes in narrow width, and it's even a sandal.
http://www.shoe-store.net/drew-dora-womens

Here's two other styles
http://www.shoe-store.net/drew-orchid-womens

http://www.shoe-store.net/drew-rose-womens

Finding any shoes in narrow widths is a challenge these days, even moreso when orthotics are involved.

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:16 am
@roger,
Her leg was already a little longer from the first botched knee surgery. With the second knee surgery, it increased in length only slightly. The hip surgery made it a lot longer.

It is one of the side effects of some surgeries. We have the first post-op appointment with the surgeon the first week of June and will get the details then. My guess is that she has lost so much bone mass due to her osteoporosis, that they had to work around that for the hip replacement.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:17 am
@firefly,
Thanks Firefly. I'll bookmark those for BBB to look at.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:43 am
@Butrflynet,
That makes sense. Much more so than that they just didn't consider what they were doing. I know she loves her doctor, but I always like to keep an eye on them.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:11 pm
Just got word that they are going to discharge BBB from the rehab hospital on Saturday. Hurray!
Roberta

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good. I'm glad she's well enough to be released.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 05:19 pm
Hope she can learn to pace herself. Good news.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 07:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Given her hip surgery even leg lengths are no surprise to me. And I'm glad her appetite is less than mine. Losing weight will make it easier on her hip. Do you think a cane may help her walk without losing balance?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 09:15 pm
@JLNobody,
They want her to use a walker until further notice/cleared by her surgeon to not do so.

Knowing BBB, she will, instead, go back to using her Canadian crutches even though she's been advised several times that the walker will be better at taking the strain off of her shoulder with the torn rotator cuff and will give her better stability and balance.
firefly

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
Would she use a rollator?
https://www.mountainside-medical.com/product_images/uploaded_images/Invacare_65650_Rollator_Walker.jpg
These provide fairly good stability and balance and they are much easier and less cumbersome to use than a regular walker. And, if she uses it outside of the home, it has the advantage of a built-in seat if she needs to sit down.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 23 May, 2012 10:21 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Best of luck. I had hips repaired with titanium parts four years ago and the titanium hips work better than anything else in my body at present, they seem to keep getting better at that sort of thing...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 12:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm back and ready to dance. Butrflynet got me back home without me falling out of the car door. I pranced up to the garage door to our home and wondered how I could get in without Dolly and Madison doggies leaping all over me. They were so excited that it was hard to restrain them but I made it to my recliner chair. Butrflynet gave a big "whew" for that. The doggies climbed my lap and it's didn't hurt me. So glad of that because they like to spend a lot of time there.

Poor Butrflynet, she has worked so hard to prepare for my homecoming. What would I do without her?

It's nice to be back home again with Butrflynet, Dolly and Madison doggies. It also will be nice to have my comb instead of a fork to comb my hair.

I'm madly in love with my physical therapist, Chris, who is about 40 years old, tall, handsome, and so sweet. We've decided that I am his newly adopted grandmother. Chris was my physical therapist for my knee surgery last June and we go to know each other very much. He says I'm the funniest woman he ever met. I gave him a new name, Walter Mitty, who had dreams of greatness. He loves his new name.

Later, I will report to all of you what caused so much of the pain I had due to the mistakes made by four of the nursing staffs. Their mistakes caused at least an additional week for me in the hospital. Most of the staff were wonderful and well trained.

I'm so glad to be back with all of you. Thanks for your good wishes. I'm lucky to have Butrflynet to get me through all of this. And Dolly and Madison doggies can't give me enough kisses.

BBB

Roberta

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 12:47 pm
Glad you're home.

Relax and heal.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 12:51 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Hey, glad you're back home!
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 04:01 pm
Hello Mom.

Love you sooooooooooooooooooooo much.

I know exactly what you are going through, and you are doing great...

Concentrate on the 90 degree thing mom, that is the most important rule that you will have to follow. My new hip is 7 months old now, and it was the best operation out of the 7, I have had so far.

I love and respect you so much.

Many thanks going out to my wonderful sis, you give's with such a wonderful heart, that she has.

Thanks for all you do Lynn, I love and appreciate you very much

Stugotz
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 08:30 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Glad that you made it home safely, now on to the rest of the physical recovery.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 May, 2012 09:01 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
I'm back and ready to dance.

Welcome home, BBB! Smile
Good to hear you sounding so happy.
And Butrflynet, you sound like the best daughter anyone could possibly have.
Good on you!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 27 May, 2012 08:10 am
@msolga,
Dolly and Madison doggies got to sleep on my pillows as I was able to sleep from 11 pm to 6 am. First time since my surgery. And I could finally lay on my left side instead of only my back.

Butrflynet is in the living room playing with Dolly and Madison. They are doing their singing game. So glad to hear it again.

As soon as I watch my favorite TV brain, Fareed Zakaria this morning, I plan to take my first shower. What a lovely event to enjoy again.

If you don't listen to Zakaria, you are missing one of the world's smartest man . He is on CNN each Sunday at 8 and again at 10 am.

BBB