Will the UN get involved in Syria?

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 06:11 am
Report from today's BBC News:

Quote:
Syria civil war threat grows after Houla massacre
31 May 2012 Last updated at 15:42 GMT

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60623000/jpg/_60623400_014769171-1.jpg
Destruction in Rastan on 16 May (image from Syrian opposition Shaam News Network)

Is Syria edging nearer to civil war? The BBC's Paul Wood, who has spent the past three weeks reporting undercover inside Syria, says the threat is growing.

"God will take revenge for us" - it's a declaration heard in the Sunni villages around Homs, from people who feel powerless, desperate, and bitter.

This has not yet become a war of neighbour against neighbour, village against village; majority Sunnis against the ruling Alawite minority, their Shia and Christian allies. But there has been such terrible loss in some communities that it could become that.

The massacre in Houla was different in scale, but not in nature, from what has been happening in this part of Syria throughout this year. The pattern: the army shells a rebel-held area; then the paramilitary shabiha, "the ghosts", go in, cutting throats.

When we first heard wild stories of people being "slaughtered like sheep" - several months ago now - it seemed like hysteria, later to be retold as propaganda. But there are many bodies bearing such wounds and numerous eyewitnesses to such crimes.

Back in March, I spoke to a man who described hiding in a field and watching while members of his family were killed, soldiers and shabiha holding them on the ground, a boot to the back, a knife to the throat. He watched his 12-year-old son die in agony in this way. Houla is terrible but not unique. ....<cont>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18281606
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 07:53 am
@msolga,
You wrote,
Quote:
Personally I would have far preferred that the huge amount of money my own country has spent on the futile wars in Iraq & Afghanistan had been spent on the UN instead, for peaceful purposes.

I've stated the same sentiment in the past, but that's an ideal I know will never happen. The US spends billions every month on our defense which I "know" is a waste of our treasure. We need jobs in the US; infrastructure upkeep, maintenance, and building will do well to help our country's economy, but that's been true for the past 60 years. We blow our military and treasure on useless wars like Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Total waste of our resources.

Now the question; how can we change our government to spend our money wiser? That's an oxymoron, isn't it?
JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 10:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The US spends billions every month on our defense which I "know" is a waste of our treasure. We need jobs in the US; infrastructure upkeep, maintenance, and building will do well to help our country's economy, but that's been true for the past 60 years. We blow our military and treasure on useless wars like Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Total waste of our resources.

It's not a waste, CI. You spend your hard earned money paying to make a tiny group fabulously wealthy. Y'all just keep lubing up and bending over, all the while aiding these folks to rape, torture and murder innocents on your dime.

Quote:
Now the question; how can we change our government to spend our money wiser?

Don't stay silent. These criminals can only act the way they do because of the ignorance of the American people and the resulting silence.

For dog's sake, two illegal wars at once and when Obama says "let's give the criminals a pass", there's a big nothing. When guys like Frank Apisa think giving these criminals a pass is a good thing, and he's hardly the only one, how do you hope to change anything.

Just be a good little American and run and get your lube.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 12:16 pm
@msolga,
I thought this might interest you written by Fareed Zakaria in the current issue of Times magazine.

He's of the opinion that the best solution against Syria is to starve it to death by persuading Russia and our allies to bankrupt Syria by embargoes and sanctions.
Even if Russia hesitates, they will soon learn that support of Syria will be to their own detriment.

I agree 100% with this thesis.
Foofie
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 01:00 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Just be a good little American and run and get your lube.

Using a homosexual sex analogy, to discredit a poster, could be thought of as a puerile attempt at an adhominem that really lessens the credence of any other logic, in my opinion. Perhaps, not in your neck-of-the-woods, but in much of urban America, gay oriented adhominems are just so 20th century.

In my opinion, perhaps, you need to rendezvous with your favorite hand?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 01:10 pm
@Foofie,
So, your calling people anti-Semite is not an adhominem. Your logic doesn't exist.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:04 pm
@Foofie,
Isn't it grand that one of a2k's monitors think you deserve a medal for your post.

Mr. Green
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 03:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I haven't read the Fareed Zakaria article, c.i. .
Will Google it later on in the day when I have more time.

(p.s. I also want to make it clear that it was you (as the instigator of this thread a while back) who awarded Foofie his red ribbon prize for the "best response" to your original question: "Will the UN get involved in Syria?".
Nothing to do with me. Wink )
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 03:33 pm
@msolga,
You wrote,
Quote:
(p.s. I also want to make it clear that it was you (as the instigator of this thread a while back) who awarded Foofie his red ribbon prize for the "best response".
Nothing to do with me. )

That, I'd like to see.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 07:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Foofie has a history of trying to change the subject, his faux outrage at JTT's supposed homophobia, is a useful way to avoid discussing the pernicious influence of the arms industry.

It's a rather pathetic attempt to grab the moral highground, and, I'm sorry to say, you've fallen for his sucker punch.
Foofie

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 07:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie has a history of trying to change the subject, his faux outrage at JTT's supposed homophobia, is a useful way to avoid discussing the pernicious influence of the arms industry.

It's a rather pathetic attempt to grab the moral highground, and, I'm sorry to say, you've fallen for his sucker punch.

Oh, this is a silly thread, in my opinion. Russia's only outpost militarily is Syria. They will not allow a new regime to take over, in my opinion. The UN will be deadlocked with Russia's vote. I am not so sure that the west wants a new regime that can become Islamist.

Once again the Arabs prove that they can be their own worst enemy. If there was no Israel in the Middle East, it might be more evident that the Arabs are unable to get along with each other, or other countries.
JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 08:13 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Using a homosexual sex analogy,

It's not a reference to homosexuals, Foofie. There are as many females as males that have been lubing up for many a year. The point is that you are all getting royally fucked over. That's odd when you consider just how much strong is the notion that the government is beholden to Joe and Josephine Citizen.

What a monstrous joke! The government takes your money to do the equivalent of what the Nazis did and once again, you try to divert attention from the crimes.

There are some US citizens who actually care about these crimes, Foofie. Why not you?

Obviously, CI doesn't really care either. Can you believe that he actually bestowed "Selected Answer" on that drivel of yours? Ans what's worse, he may well have done so with reading all the pertinent information.

See what a monumental challenge it is to get you propaganda fed sheep off the bottle.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 09:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He's of the opinion that the best solution against Syria is to starve it to death by persuading Russia and our allies to bankrupt Syria by embargoes and sanctions.

Have you learned nothing from well over a century of US predation, CI?

Y'all hop on your high horse about Syria and other countries brutalizing their people but when it's a US installed tyrant, then it's hunky dory to kill millions.

The US murdered half a million Iraqi kids even before little Bush launched his war crimes. And Afghanistan, y'all have been playing with the lives of millions [in Iraq too of course] for well over 30 years.

Whenever the US meddles, gigantic numbers of people die. Why? Because the US has a vested interest in causing strife and turmoil - that the CIA's only game - and when that happens, innocents die.

That only leads to more hand wringing from Americans like you, bitching 'n moaning about how tough all these incursions are on the American psyche and treasury. No concern at all for what you terrorists have done to others.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 09:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
How can the UN become a "more democratic" organization when China and Russia represents 40% of the votes? Get real!

Here we go again, CI. Is this naivety, ignorance or the effects of a stunningly successful US propaganda effort? I suspect it's a combination of the first two with huge support from the third.

You seem to be forgetting that the US has well over a century of supporting tyrants that actively, massively took away the rights from the citizens of countries the world over that had elected democratic governments.

Do you need a list? Do you realize that the total number of deaths from these US predations is somewhere between 7 and 10 million just since WWII?

Perhaps you missed my signature line. It obviously needs to be repeated a lot!

“The crimes of the U.S. throughout the world have been systematic, constant, clinical, remorseless, and fully documented but nobody talks about them.” ― Harold Pinter

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 09:27 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
That one country can stop an action by all the others dosent make sense,

Who is that one country, Rabel?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 09:28 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
The reason I use one liners is to be concise. I for one dont read a 15 paragraph post. If you cant state your opinion in just a few sentences than one shouldent post in my opinion.

As I mentioned, it's definitely naivety and ignorance, CI.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 10:13 pm
@Foofie,
wow, JTT seems to be on a run. I bet he's repeating his old song a few more times. What a ****'g bore!
JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 10:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI, from the land of the brave, has found a warm little sanctuary.

No thinking needed there, is there, CI?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 10:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I bet he's repeating his old song a few more times.

Speaking of old songs, CI, could you come up with something new?

I now understand that you never read any of the material I provided. If you had you would realize that the war crimes and terrorist activities of the US are so extensive that I could list them for years and never hit them all.

And that's only the ones that have come to light. Consider the amount of evil that is still classified?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 04:30 am
@Foofie,
Thinking of the Arabs as one homogenous group is evidence of your simplistic mindset. There are many different groups, Sunni, Shia, Druze, Allawite, Christian, (Coptic and others).

Assad is deliberately stoking up ethnic tension in order to stay in power. There's nothing particularly Arab about this, Milosevic did exactly the same thing when Yugoslavia broke up.

And there's plenty of sectarian violence between Jews in Israel as well, Mr. High & Mighty.

Quote:
Images broadcast on Channel Two last week of an ultra-Orthodox man in Beit Shemesh spitting at a woman led to his arrest on Saturday night. He was freed by magistrates on Sunday.

The same broadcast featured a religious eight-year-old girl terrified to walk the short distance between her home and school, since she is subject to verbal abuse of ultra-Orthodox men who claim her attire is not sufficiently “modest.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/12/26/jewish-gender-segregation-protest-in-israel-turns-violent/