The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

JPB

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:58 am
@revelette,
I could only listen to the first 4 minutes. Does he ever get honest and say that his party's obstructionist anti-Obama-at-whatever-cost policy is why we're where we are?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 10:58 am
@revelette,
I think it is already true that 501c3 corporations (if that is what churches qualify under) are prohibited from political activities. Sozobe has been into tax exempt corporations more than anyone I know, but religious activities may have a different treatment.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:03 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Wonder what it is about some of these conservatives that gives them that sour lemon look? Guess it is better than Cantor's stone cold look.

Quote:
Obama said: "It’s time to stop rewarding businesses that ship jobs overseas, and start rewarding companies that create jobs right here in America. Send me these tax reforms, and I’ll sign them right away."

http://pixel.nymag.com/content/dam/custom/images/2012/01/24_cantornoreaction1.gif
Quote:
The blink proves that he's both awake and alive.

more at Eric Cantor’s Vigorous Reactions During the State of the Union Address

sorry I know this one is way off topic. think ill go clean my house.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:05 am
I like Obama...I think he has gotten as much out of an horrendous political climate as could be gotten...and he seems a decent, competent person to me. I like his pragmatism.

I enjoyed his speech last night, but my comments to my wife while watching often took the form of, "This seems more like a campaign speech than a State of the Union speech."

I'm happy he did it...the contrast with the crap the Republicans have been spewing at their "debates" was stark and complimentary to the president...but the fact is, the speech sounded more like a campaign speech to me than a State of the Union speech.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:06 am
@revelette,
I saw that exact moment!!!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I like Obama...I think he has gotten as much out of an horrendous political climate as could be gotten...and he seems a decent, competent person to me. I like his pragmatism.

I enjoyed his speech last night, but my comments to my wife while watching often took the form of, "This seems more like a campaign speech than a State of the Union speech."

I'm happy he did it...the contrast with the crap the Republicans have been spewing at their "debates" was stark and complimentary to the president...but the fact is, the speech sounded more like a campaign speech to me than a State of the Union speech.

It was, explicitly, a campaign speech, designed to remind people that he's for good **** and not for bad ****. Not overly complex - to be honest, I didn't really even enjoy the speech personally - but it seemed to go over very, very well with independent groups who were watching it and polled afterward.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:16 am
Polling done by Stan Greenberg with swing-voters on the speech was highly complimentary to the prez-

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e201630019fd41970d-550wi

http://www.democracycorps.com/strategy/2012/01/president-obama-scores-with-middle-class-message/#ftn1

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:21 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I wonder how this compares with pre-debate and post-debate polls on the Republican candidates. (Remember the Republican candidates? This is a thread about the Republican candidates.)
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:23 am

It's easy to see why you libtards liked Obama's campaign speech
so much last night, it was dumbed-down, way down to your level.
Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:26 am
@H2O MAN,
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/422550_360736623955797_205344452828349_1345316_2067638881_n.jpg
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 11:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AV-QIJ6Chqk#!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
What it showed was the political divide in our country, and for that reason it was a "good" speech. What's more bothersome is the simple fact that conservatives are unwilling to work and compromise with this president, and they see this as their primary goal; defeat Obama at all costs.

American voters are just not too bright.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

American voters are just not too bright.

I agree that the voters that voted for Obama and those
few so called supporters that remain are none too bright.

Obama must be defeated.
spendius

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:11 pm
@H2O MAN,
When I heard that bit about those who say America is in decline not knowing what they are talking about it struck me that the speaker's perception was that the audience are dumb or, as ci. politely puts it, none too bright.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:14 pm
@H2O MAN,
by who the INSANE CLOWN POSSE ?
WHen Obama gave his SOTU he clearly distinguished himself from the idiots on the GOP side. Thise guys are too busy tearing each other new assholes and claiming that each is more conservative than the other. What a joke.
I hope Newt wins, at least he will be fun. I do think that the none insane GOPers (unlike spurt) are wprried if Newt wins the nod.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:15 pm
@spendius,

It's Obama's perception that his supporters, audience if you will,
are none too bright and he is taking full advantage of them.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:16 pm
@farmerman,

We love you Formerman... Dream the dream and live the fantasy like you just don't care cupcake.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:33 pm
The calls on the right side of the blogosphere for a 'new candidate' to come in are growing significantly. This is from Erickson, the head guy for Redstate:

Quote:
We’re Fighting Over Two Guys and Neither Side Thinks the Other Can Win

Posted by Erick Erickson (Diary)

Tuesday, January 24th at 5:30PM EST
433 Comments

I am a firm believer that primaries make stronger candidates. But at some point you just have to stand back, take a sip of bourbon, and sigh “Damn” under your breath as you behold the carnage being wrought within the Republican Party.

The fight has gotten so bitter and acrimonious with only three states chosen because neither side thinks the other side can win. Gingrich supporters understand that the secularists in the media — not the Democrats, but the media to the extent it can be separated from the Obama Machine — will spend six months creeping out independent suburban voters about Mormons, holy underwear, Kolob, postmortem baptism, and views on black people and then, as the coup de grace, Barack Obama will fire up millions of dollars of ads on Bain Capital raiding pension funds forcing the government to cover the debt so Mitt Romney could make millions whether he won or lost a deal.

Romney supporters understand Newt Gingrich will open his mouth.

Mitt Romney will find it very hard to beat Barack Obama because of what Barack Obama will do to him. Newt Gingrich will find it very hard to beat Barack Obama because of what Newt Gingrich will do to himself. That’s the simple truth. Both men will have amazingly difficult times beating Barack Obama. It is possible, but probability never favors picking off an incumbent just for starters.

About the only real difference between the Gingrich and Romney camps is that the Gingrich camp intuitive understands this and is happy to go down with a fighter. The Romney camp is still deluded into thinking a milquetoast moderate from Massachusetts who can’t win Iowa twice in a primary is somehow electable.

In the past the Republican Party has had “party elders” who could help the “electable” candidate get to the general election — Ford in 1976 (loser), Dole in 1996 (loser), McCain in 2008 (loser) and the general contempt these “elders” have shown the tea party give the core of Republican voters no faith in their “elders” or leaders any more. In other words, the nomination process has gone off the rails. It has become extremely unpredictable because the base wants to beat its party leaders on the more likely than not correct assumption that it must do that in order to beat Barack Obama.

In short, this election is more volatile than any we have seen in a very long time because the party leaders, after years of learning to corral its base activists have now lost control and lost the respect of the base.

The deadly consequence is a cage match between the base and the establishment both of whom are backing two deeply, deeply flawed candidates with the odds heavily against them in a general election.

Perhaps, just perhaps, it is time for both sides to let the scales fall from their eyes and in a bit of sanity rethink this thing. Time is short, but there is still time. Surely there is someone out there that both the Romney supporters and Newt supporters can agree on who is not named either Romney or Newt.

I am part of the base that will do everything I can to defeat Mitt Romney because I believe he will be a disastrous nominee who will cost us the House, the Senate, the White House, and consequently the Supreme Court. There are Mitt supporters who feel the same about Newt, Rick Santorum, and Ron Paul. So maybe we ought to all find someone who we all kind of like instead of heading to Tampa in August all licking wounds and pretending to rally to the man the voters chose between the evils of two real lessers.

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/01/24/were-fighting-over-two-guys-and-neither-side-thinks-the-other-can-win/

I give him credit for actually understanding what a mess they are in. But the odds of this successfully occurring are quite slim.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:51 pm
You don't seem to understand that the truth doesn't change so you accuse it of being old.

Meanwhile, your new lies often sound like your old lies.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 12:54 pm
@parados,

Obama's lies haven't changed... you need to accept this truth.
0 Replies