Which Atheism is the One True Atheism?

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:28 am
@firefly,
You are also of the opinion that humans Firefly are not able to face the universe as it is so we need to promote fairy tales?

Condition children to this nonsense before they had reach the age of reason.

Fairy tales that are used as a weapon to enforce the world views of the true believers.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:44 am
@firefly,
Quote:
What turned you off about religion or the Bible when you were ten? How was it being presented to you?

I had already given the main triggering event being told of the head angel rebelling against god and taking half the angels in heaven with him.

How do you rebel against an all powerful being and why would you wish to do so in the first place.

Then I read the bible from cover to cover at a very young age and got annoy at it to say the least.

Then there was my running into the "Age of Reason" by Paine and finding out that the adults was lying to me about at least one founding father being a true believer in this nonsense.

If you wish to raised true believers and you are unluckily enough to have a young reader you do need to keep a tight control of his or her reading.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 09:30 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Would you firefly support any other book that call for the killings of homosexuals or children that talk back or for that matter anyone who work on Sunday Firefly?

Either we have read different Bibles, or we interpret what we read very differently. I see no call for the killings that you mention, nor do I see the slaughter of those who work on Sundays, or children who talk back, going on. I personally don't believe the Bible should be interpreted literally. It also should be viewed in the historical context in which it was written.

Are you under the impression that there would be less killing if the Bible didn't exist?

Do you have the same complaints about the New Testament that you have with the Old Testament?

If faith serves a purpose for other people, why does that bother you? For most people of faith, any faith, the beliefs serve a positive function in their lives. What is wrong with that?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:14 am
@firefly,
I'm not so sure about "positive function." Can you delineate that for us?
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I'm not so sure about "positive function." Can you delineate that for us?

It can help people to deal with their sense of powerlessness--to better manage anxiety and fear, to deal with adversity and loss, to face death, etc--it can promote courage, lessen feelings of alienation, give meaning, values, a sense of being a part of something greater than oneself, it can offer feelings of comfort and inner peace.

I think there are all sorts of positive functions that faith serves in people's lives .
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:40 am
@firefly,
I agree with your assessment. All my siblings are christians, and they're still trying to convert me back into their fold. When I told them I'm not interested during our last sibling luncheon several weeks ago, my sister cried.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:43 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I see no call for the killings that you mention, nor do I see the slaughter of those who work on Sundays, or children who talk back, going on. I personally don't believe the Bible should be interpreted literally. It also should be viewed in the historical context in which it was written.

Your have not read that evil book at all you just cut and paste what you wish to think of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had already posted some of the calls to killings on this website in related threads.

So once more I will boot the online bible and you can explain how anyone who is not a serial killer would not be sick at the words it contain.

I could full this website with killings of innocents order by the bible god including babies kill in the arms of their mothers.

Here is the ordering of the killings of homosexuals and children that talk back to parents and a whole lot of other people.

God just order anyone who have sex during a woman period to be chase out of the tribe how nice of him.

Moral guide my rear end.

<< Leviticus, Chapter 19 Leviticus, Chapter 20 Leviticus, Chapter 21 >>
001: And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
002: Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.
003: And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name.
004: And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not:
005: Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.
006: And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.
007: Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God.
008: And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the LORD which sanctify you.
009: For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him. 010: And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
011: And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
012: And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them.
013: If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. 014: And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.
015: And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.
016: And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
017: And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister's nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.
018: And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people. 019: And thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister, nor of thy father's sister: for he uncovereth his near kin: they shall bear their iniquity.
020: And if a man shall lie with his uncle's wife, he hath uncovered his uncle's nakedness: they shall bear their sin; they shall die childless.
021: And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.
022: Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out.
023: And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them.
024: But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I am the LORD your God, which have separated you from other people.
025: Ye shall therefore put difference between clean beasts and unclean, and between unclean fowls and clean: and ye shall not make your souls abominable by beast, or by fowl, or by any manner of living thing that creepeth on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean.
026: And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.
027: A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.
^ To the top ^

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:47 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I think there are all sorts of positive functions that faith serves in people's lives .

It surely made a wonderful tool to control and justify murdering your enemies all in the name of god.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:54 am
@BillRM,
Bill, Those are the contradictions I saw in the bible when I was a young teenager, and couldn't believe that anyone with any sense of logic could believe in a "loving god." He sets up humans to fail, then make threats that they will die. That's a loving god?
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:58 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

It surely made a wonderful tool to control and justify murdering your enemies all in the name of god.

Do you personally know many people who are actually doing all this killing you allude to?

People murder each other for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with the Bible.
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He sets up humans to fail, then make threats that they will die.

I don't feel set up to fail, although I am fallible. And death is no threat--it's a reality.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:04 am
@firefly,
firefly, Please! We're talking about a book that was written over 2000 years ago when civil laws were almost nonexistent. Trying to compare what is stated in the bible and today's environment is a non-sequitur.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:06 am
@firefly,
How do you explain that when people who do not sin or are forgiven all go to heaven, and they sin no more! Why couldn't god set up the same condition for earth? That is a direct contradiction of free will.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:08 am
@firefly,

And the children of Israel took [all] the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods.

Num 31:10 And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles, with fire.

Num 31:11 And they took all the spoil, and all the prey, [both] of men and of beasts.

Num 31:12 ¶ And they brought the captives, and the prey, and the spoil, unto Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and unto the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the camp at the plains of Moab, which [are] by Jordan [near] Jericho.

Num 31:13 And Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and all the princes of the congregation, went forth to meet them without the camp.

Num 31:14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, [with] the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.

Num 31:15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?

Num 31:16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.

Num 31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

Num 31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Num 31:19 And do ye abide without the camp seven days: whosoever hath killed any person, and whosoever hath touched any slain, purify [both] yourselves and your captives on the third day, and on the seventh day.

Num 31:20 And purify all [your] raiment, and all that is made of skins, and all work of goats' [hair], and all things made of wood.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:11 am
@edgarblythe,
Can you be an atheist if you are not a member of Mensa?

BBB
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:12 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
firefly, Please! We're talking about a book that was written over 2000 years ago when civil laws were almost nonexistent. Trying to compare what is stated in the bible and today's environment is a non-sequitur.

It's BillRM who is comparing the Bible to today's world and interpreting it literally. I've said the Bible should be considered in the historical context in which it was written and not taken literally.

I have no problem with people who have faith, in some religion, and I have no problem with people who don't have faith.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:14 am
@firefly,
So firefly because no one living by me at the moment is following god words in the bible and doing mass killings that mean that anyone who read the words below should not be sicken and of the opinion that such a book is not a moral guide of any kind?

A book that promote the mass killings of children and their mothers should be held in high regard, is that your logic?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the children of Israel took [all] the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods.

Num 31:10 And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles, with fire.

Num 31:11 And they took all the spoil, and all the prey, [both] of men and of beasts.

Num 31:12 ¶ And they brought the captives, and the prey, and the spoil, unto Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and unto the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the camp at the plains of Moab, which [are] by Jordan [near] Jericho.

Num 31:13 And Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and all the princes of the congregation, went forth to meet them without the camp.

Num 31:14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, [with] the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.

Num 31:15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?

Num 31:16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.

Num 31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

Num 31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Num 31:19 And do ye abide without the camp seven days: whosoever hath killed any person, and whosoever hath touched any slain, purify [both] yourselves and your captives on the third day, and on the seventh day.

Num 31:20 And purify all [your] raiment, and all that is made of skins, and all work of goats' [hair], and all things made of wood.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:18 am
@firefly,
Quote:
It's BillRM who is comparing the Bible to today's world and interpreting it literally. I've said the Bible should be considered in the historical context in which it was written and not taken literally.

A clear command to kill homosexuals is a clear command to kill homosexuals, a clear command to kill children in their mothers arms are a clear command to kill children in their mothers arms there is not way of not taking such a command as literally.
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:23 am
@BillRM,
You're arguing with yourself, not with me.

I personally have never known anyone who believed you must kill children in their mother's arms or kill homosexuals. You must hang out in strange circles.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:25 am
@firefly,
firefly, But that's not the issue today! It's that the so-called bible god advocated such killings. Most religious people say that the bible teaches them morals. That's also a contradiction.
0 Replies