Which Atheism is the One True Atheism?

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:30 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry Firefly but my time and efforts are worth far more to me then to deal with people Masturbating for their own amusements.

Leaving aside the rather painfully obvious observation that that is what you always do, can you explain how it was a valuable use of your time and efforts to shout at EB when you thought he was serious?

Jackass
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, did you ever think that if it wasn't for theists there would be no atheists?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:35 pm
@Letty,
That's a logical fact. There are thousands of religions, and most humans are believers of one or more of those many religions and gods. If those religions and gods did not exist, there would be no atheists.

It's comical that some religious' believers think atheism is a religion.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:41 pm
Well, miss letty, we would be atheists still. There just would be no cause for a label.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
If those religions and gods did not exist, there would be no atheists.
silliest logic I've read here in days.
firefly

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
If those religions and gods did not exist, there would be no atheists

No, I think atheism is the more natural, pure state. Who is born believing in anything?
Atheists who are simply reacting to, or rejecting, religion are at best secondary atheists, they are not the true unspoiled type who simply accept the finite world as it is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 01:29 pm
@dyslexia,
That's because you don't have any understanding of logic. The word atheist would not exist if it were not for the fact that there is theism.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 01:33 pm
@dyslexia,
You make me laugh out loud. Let me pour you a drink. Cheers
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 01:42 pm
I actually have some thoughts on this matter, but I haven't had time to read all of the posts. I want to go over every thing before I respond. As a product of the Catholic School System, I am expected to be irreverant, however, that doesn't mean I disrespect various points of view or even that I don't believe in the subjects I poke fun at. My husband was raised as a Baptist and when he asks question about the Catholic Church, sometimes trying to explain the various aspects of the religion starts to make me laugh. I think we all have a belief system, and it doesn't necessarily have to make perfect sense.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 02:41 am

Less religion: report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12811197
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 04:33 am
@McTag,
I read that last night. It could go that way for most of us, eventually. I don't expect to be around by then, however.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 07:32 am
I think the reason that religion declined in European cultures was education--and many fundamentalist religions seem to see this, disparaging any books other than the bible and a select few theological texts. In the 18th and 19th centuries in Europe, higher education for young men was conducted in or at the least required a large component of classical Greek and Latin. But that presents problems for religious adherence because, for example, the students of Pindar would find many of the tenets of "St. Paul's" orthodoxy in the poetry of a pagan. That isn't surprising given that he was a child of Hellenistic culture, but it does put into perspective how much of christianity is derivative. Over time skepticism would grow until it was indifference. Education is the enemy of religious devotion incarnate.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:46 am
@Setanta,
Set, I usually agree with your historical analysis, but why is it that religion has grown since then? Even in the US, more than 80% profess to one religion or another. Muslims number about 1.4 billion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:40 pm
I want to thank everybody who posted on this thread. I just had a wonderful time rereading it.
0 Replies