Calling Patiodog and others of expertise! Death and the Geriatric Pussycat

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:03 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
It was the right time.

it's been a long few months for you.

I'm glad you and Miranda found the right time.

x
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:13 pm
@dlowan,
Goodbye Miranda.

Deb, you provided an amazing life for her. Not only did she want for nothing tangible, but you two had an amazing bond. And you were there for her at the end - very special (and heartbreaking).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:51 pm
Thank you everyone.

She was distressed when they put the needles in for the ports for the anaesthetic...but they said she always protests about that, and she would have seen that as a normal thing because she has had them for the saline treatments.

She calmed down immediately. It was nice because the staff wanted to say goodbye to her, they know her so well, and she enjoyed the kisses and cuddles.

I was able to have her curled up in a soft towel in my lap and we waited until she was purring and really relaxed and happy. She didn't know when the anaesthetic was administered and really just went to sleep. She had a number of people round her telling her how lovely she is.

They have a special private room so I was able to cuddle her and talk to her until I had to go to work. I was able to leave her looking all curled up and asleep...dumb, but that was easier than the usual leaving them on the cold examination table.

Her temperature was low and her heart rate was down. When they put the needles in they said her little veins had suddenly become very fragile....all signs that she was shutting down.

I am sad she had to put up with the kittens, but I truly think she was not unhappy about them the last day and night, and I made sure she had me all to herself last night and most of this morning, and had my bedroom door shut whan I gave the kittens their play this morning. I am glad I made sure she had lots of private time with me since the woollies arrived.

I think she had one day of feeling quite sick...but not so much that she didn't enjoy her cuddles.

I am glad I am not going home to an empty house tonight.

She still looked like a young cat when she died. Just tired.

I really appreciate the kindness of all of you.

It's lovely to have people who understand. Some of my friends will, but you online folk I know have the same love of the little critters that I do, and I also feel that you know Miranda and how much I love her.

Eva

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:11 pm
Sure we do.

And we love you, too.

I'm so glad things were peaceful for Miranda at the end.

Wishing peace for you now. You deserve that. You gave her a great life, you really did.

Post a favorite picture of her when you feel like it, okay?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:46 pm
@dlowan,
the hardest thing I've ever done was taking gram to put down her baby.

it sounds as though Miranda went as gently into the night as can be done.

you loved her.

and she returned your love. as only a cat can give it back.

enjoy your kittens...
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:55 pm
@Rockhead,
We all don't want to read that Miranda is not here.
I will think of Miranda as discerning and feisty about it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 12:20 am
Damn, deb. I was kinda afraid to turn on the computer and read this thread. Teared up--for you and for her.

Don't know what else to say. Love you from halfway around the world.

Izzie

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 02:03 am
((((Deb)))) very sad for you - also was dreading turning the laptop on this morning...

glad you had such a wonderful kitty like Miranda, she was blessed to be loved as she was by you

x
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 02:06 am
@Roberta,
Thank you. I'm ok....it was her time...and I know I gave her the best I could.

Hard coming home tonight....but easier because of having to care for the woollies.

The GOOD thing about it all having gone on a while is that I had the chance consciously to make every minute with her a time when I could make sure she experienced all the love and attention I had to give her. She knew how loved she was.

Actually, I think she always did...she EXPECTED it and considered it her due from the second I first met her. She was special to her breeder, too, because of her exuberant personality and her looks. I very nearly didn't get her, because she was going to be kept for breeding and showing. The breeder decided we would be so good together that she let her go.

I have two First Prizes hidden away somewhere! Neither I nor Miranda gave a damn!

I love that Viola has some of her feistiness and determination that nobody ain't gonna diss her.

I love that Miranda gave the vet her usual hairy eyeball when she had her temperature taken!!!It was a shadow of its former glory, but man it was there.

I love that this tiny, delicate little thing had such underlying steel that she survived an illness that should have killed her,

I love that she never had to find out that she was a tiny powerless little thing in reality.

I love that she was such a steel magnolia.

I love that I shared my life with this amazing little personality for so long.

Some cat.
sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:02 am
@dlowan,
Some cat indeed.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/photo-4.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/photo-5.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/photo-6.jpg

These are lovely pictures -- she does look very happy.

You did such a good job, deb. Hugs.
jespah

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:45 am
You did her right.
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 06:37 am
@sozobe,
Thank you AGAIN Soz!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 06:40 am
@sozobe,
She certainly loved her sunning spots, Deb. Smile
dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:04 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

She certainly loved her sunning spots, Deb. Smile

Heat seeking missile.......only at a lady like pace.

Her walk was something.....a little wobbly in the last couple of years (remember she suffered two strokes when she was younger) but she was the epitome of grace...with a bit of seductive sway thrown in. I'll always remember her coming to meet me looking so beautiful....with that lovely look of happiness and welcome.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:07 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

You did her right.

Thank you Jes....she was an easy cat to do right to....if we forgive some bad toileting behavior late in life.

At least I have the sheet if I become incontinent!
jespah

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:13 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

jespah wrote:

You did her right.

Thank you Jes....she was an easy cat to do right to....if we forgive some bad toileting behavior late in life.

At least I have the sheet if I become incontinent!

I hope we can all forgive that in ourselves, and each other.
0 Replies