Calling Patiodog and others of expertise! Death and the Geriatric Pussycat

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:06 pm
@patiodog,
Ok....Patio....kind support team.

May I have another consult.

Miranda has now survived her execution date (all booked in to be done at home) by 2 or 3 weeks...I forget.

She was really bad, but it turned out to have a lot to do with tummy bug.

Decision made at the time was to do it when she began to go down again.

Current situation:

Fur rattier than usual.

Eating pretty well.

Very clingy.

Doesn't seem to sleep as quietly and happily....gets up (I assume) to wee...but seems kind of twitchy and unsettled. I fear it might be pain or feelings of unwellness?

Is running out to greet me when I get home again...wants lots of cuddles...waits all night for me to come to bed so she can cuddle up to me.

I had to put her in for boarding last Saturday because our plane was leaving too early on Monday. I then got sick and couldn't go on trip and wasn't well enough to be able to drive again to pick her up until Tuesday pm.

I note that the big joys of her life are now cuddling with me (especially all night...she seems to kind of live for that) and being ecstatic in direct sunlight.

I will have to do a make-up trip soonish so in her immediate future are two stays at vet's, likely from Saturday to the following Friday afternoon (or more if we get stuck) with a few days between. No lying in the sun at vet's and she sleeps alone in a cage. She gets lots of daytime smooches and attention, and enjoys the activity there all day, though.

Vet has my consent to euthanase while Miranda is with her should she feel it wise.

My question is: (and I know nobody can tell me what to do, but I'd just like your thoughts.)

This is all coming to an end. I am wondering if it is better to do it before she has to be at vet's a long time. They think her happy there, but I know how wildly ecstatic she is to be home and how desperate she is to be with me.

Any thoughts?
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:59 am
@dlowan,
I tend to agree that if the end is coming soon, better to do what you can to ensure you are with her and that her last days are full of sunshine and night-time snuggles.

For both of you really. Miranda's death will be difficult, no matter what, but it seems like it would be that much harder if it happens when you're away.

Hugs....
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 07:57 am
@sozobe,
yes...that's kind of where I am going.

She just got up for a wee....presumably because she heard me getting ready for bed....and her loo is opposite my washing machine.

I just put my goose-down pillow in the washing machine because the pee smell where she peed on it came back again...and I found her with her nose pressed to the washing machine window fascinated by watching it go round and round.

I am being summoned loudly.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 09:28 am
@dlowan,
We did that with our old dog Max - he had a big tumor and although it wasn't too painful at the time, we knew his time was borrowed. Shortly before we left for a 2 week trip, we had a mobile vet come to the house and euthanize him. Max left us peacefully and content at home and I am glad I did it this way. He would have died at the vet without us present and he didn't deserve that. He gave us so much pleasure all these years, it was up to us to make his last days as comfortable as possible - being home with us around to hold him. It never gets any easier for us, but it's our job to make it easy for them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 12:30 pm
@dlowan,
Agreeing with Soz, sadly.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:03 pm
@dlowan,
This is all so painfully familiar to me. Be advised,though, that Miranda will depart with a swan song, as did Mitsu and Nekochan, here. If you're awake to hear it, that is. I got them in the wee hours of the morning here both times.
An unforgettable short and loud wail. A farewell, if you may.

My sincerest sympathies upon this eventuality.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:26 pm
@sozobe,
I second this, over the holidays I was cat-sitting a cat who died. There's no easy answer to the euthanasia question (the owners had wrestled with it but her passing didn't seem imminent) but the only thing I regret was that I wasn't there when it happened.

I was there in the morning, and thought she seemed a bit weaker so went back in the afternoon too late to have been with her and though I know it's not my fault or anything it wasn't at all easy to accept. I think that just being there would have made most of the pain all of us felt better, I can only imagine that the owners might feel even more strongly about that part.
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, I am still a bit angry with the vet who told me to give my clearly dying cat "a chance".

This was a cat whose love for me was obsessive, and she was alone when she died..well, she was in the vet's...but...

I'm thinking a couple of days before I have to fly out again...at present I don't know exactly when this is.

My vet will do it at home.

I really feel for you. I was looking after a friend's rat, a delightful little fella, and found him toes up one morning. It wasn't so much that he was alone, it was knowing how upset she would be that she wasn't there. But rats and such just seem to go from well to dead pretty fast.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:41 pm
@neko nomad,
I can't let her die naturally from kidney disease, Neko....I know it's painful and they feel awful and I can save her from that. I respect your decision, but it's not the one I am making.

I hope she doesn't cry when she is euthanased. Oscar, the last cat I had to do that with, didn't seem to feel the needle go in at all, and didn't cry. It was wonderfully peaceful.

It was a clearer decision with him...he let me know he felt bad. Miranda is just so goddam HAPPY!!!!!!!!!
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 07:33 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I hope she doesn't cry when she is euthanased. Oscar, the last cat I had to do that with, didn't seem to feel the needle go in at all, and didn't cry. It was wonderfully peaceful.

I've been present at a number of at quite a few of these sad events, Deb, and never once has one of my cats "cried". They gently passed on.
I think neko was referring to natural (unassisted) deaths.

Good luck to you. I know this is a very difficult time. I know you'll make the right decision, whichever way, based on what you know of Miranda & her condition.

Quote:
Miranda is just so goddam HAPPY!!!!!!!!!

That's because you have treated her so very well, Deb.
Don't forget that. Smile
dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 07:38 pm
@msolga,
Most of mine cry a bit when the needle goes in. I hate it.

Actually, I can't take credit for the happiness. She was just born full of happiness, chutzpah and the belief that everyone was going to love her. She was hilarious as a tiny kitten because of this air of glowing confidence and the way she bounced around with her tail curved right over her back...often touching her head.

It was affected when the vet screwed up her desexing and she had convulsions (she got very timid in strange situations) but she's kept it all when relaxed.

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 07:42 pm
@dlowan,
Aw, I'm sorry, Deb.
That hasn't been my experience (thank heavens).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:11 pm
deb, My heart is breaking for the two of you. Whatever you decide will be the right thing because only you can know what that is.

Thinking about you, kid.
msolga

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:20 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
Whatever you decide will be the right thing because only you can know what that is.

Yes, agreeing with you, Roberta.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:21 am
Weeping here .....

I'm sure you'll make the right decision.....
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:28 am
@margo,
Well, it looks as though we have a short reprieve, IF she remains well.

The outback trips were kind of deciding the execution date, and it looks like I will do my make-up trip not next one, but do two in a row after that.

I THINK that means I fly out again in three weeks and that will be the two trips in a row.

That works work-wise, because I was already pretty booked out normal job wise..and it works well Miranda-wise because, if I don't have to do it earlier anyway, I anticipate that she won't be as bloody happy as she is right now!!

There's no way I would let her be miserable, and we'll do it at any sign that she's not enjoying life, but it kind of pretty much ensures I'll not be feeling like I am moving sooner than seems to be right for her just because of work.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 12:30 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

deb, My heart is breaking for the two of you. Whatever you decide will be the right thing because only you can know what that is.

Thinking about you, kid.

You are very kind...but I am the only one with a problem!!!! She, as I said, is happy and has no idea of all the decisions whirling around her little furry head. And I bet she has a way better death than I do!
msolga

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 01:07 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Well, it looks as though we have a short reprieve, IF she remains well.

The outback trips were kind of deciding the execution date, and it looks like I will do my make-up trip not next one, but do two in a row after that.

I THINK that means I fly out again in three weeks and that will be the two trips in a row.....

That is very good to hear, Deb!
Thank the goddess!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 03:49 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Roberta wrote:

Thinking about you, kid.

You are very kind...but I am the only one with a problem!!!! She, as I said, is happy and has no idea of all the decisions whirling around her little furry head. And I bet she has a way better death than I do!

The good part is that she's happy. She's a cat. Even if she were aware of how you're tortured over this, she probably wouldn't be all that concerned.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if she has a better death than you and the rest of us. It's our job to make sure that happens.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 06:41 am
@Roberta,
Lol!

One of my friends is busy trying to get an euthanasia bill passed.

I so hope it gets through!!!
0 Replies