Calling Patiodog and others of expertise! Death and the Geriatric Pussycat

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 06:43 am
@dlowan,
Nevertheless, Miss Wabbit, your friends recognize your anguish and would assuage it if they could. We understand how you love your Miranda (maker of wonder), and wish you both as much happiness as is possible.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 07:03 am
@dlowan,
Oh that is good news!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 07:24 am
I've been reading along and thinking of you and Miranda. It's certainly not easy for either of you --- her being sick and you needing to make a very difficult decision. We're in a somewhat similar situation with our Jack. He has a rapidly growing tumor that we thought would quickly let us know that the time was/is right. Then he rallied. Then it started growing again. Then he rallied. We're taking our cues from him.

But, we're traveling in a couple weeks and our neighbor who tends to our cats while we're gone would be horrified if he took a severe turn for the worse while we're away and had to either call for the vet to euthanize him or, even worse, not call and have him suffer and die alone.

Like CJane, I think we're going to make the call before we leave. It's certainly not an easy decision to make either way.
dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 08:34 am
@JPB,
Thanks a lot everyone.

I am being peremptorily summoned to bed.

This is as bad as having a keen new fella!
patiodog

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 06:22 pm
@dlowan,
Sounds like you're on top of things, wabbit. Good wishes and best of luck to ya.
dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 12:49 am
@patiodog,
How are YOU, PD?

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:33 pm
@dlowan,
This is becoming amusing in a bizarre sort of way.

Miranda's new name in my wryer moments is Lady Lazarpuss.

She has now officially survived two execution dates.

She looked a bit miserable on Saturday, and on Sunday was not as affectionate and responsive as usual. Given her ability to look and act like a kitten until upon death's very precipice, I assumed this meant she felt pretty awful, and I made THE appointment for 5.00 pm Monday.

I rushed home from work to take her up....and she didn't respond when I called her. I half thought she might lying in my bed, dead...but when I raised the covers and found her, damn her if she wasn't her smoochy happy self!!!

I took her to vet's anyway, because she clearly needed saline drip if not the final needle.

As I came into vet's office, staff commented on how lively she was.

This, I thought, is ridiculous.

Vet and I looked at each other like stunned mullets, and we decided to treat her again....I picked her up last night.
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:40 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I took her to vet's anyway, because she clearly needed saline drip if not the final needle.

Vet and I looked at each other like stunned mullets, and we decided to treat her again....I picked her up last night.

Smile
She's fooled you again, Deb!
(Clever Miranda. You've gotta admire that! Wink )
dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:48 pm
@JPB,
Wondering how things are going with Jack?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:50 pm
@msolga,
Just scared the bejusus out of myself.

I realised I'd lost track of when I have to go outback again.....and when I checked I thought it was Monday!!!!

Since my decision is that I won't put Miranda through three weeks of being boarded again, it was a bit of a shock...but then I realised I am going up on the trip AFTER next, and the two trips after that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:51 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Smile
She's fooled you again, Deb!
(Clever Miranda. You've gotta admire that! Wink )

Sure, but I could do with a bit less of this kind of cleverness!!!
msolga

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:11 pm
@dlowan,
Oh I'm sure you could, Deb.
I'm sure it must be very confusing & draining for you, trying to do the right thing at the right time.
dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:14 pm
@msolga,
Miranda has had a happy week. Very smoochy and chatty...eating...loving her sun and her snuggles.

We had a particularly intense "I'm going to eat grass and make myself dramatically and operatically sick" morning yesterday...so much so that I waited to see if this was the normal melodrama or the start of something.

Settled down.

If she doesn't get worse next week it's gonna be damned hard to go ahead with the plan to kill her rather than subject her to a further long period boarding at vet's!!!!
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:20 pm
@dlowan,
This is so difficult for you, Deb.

It must be feeling like a "damned it you do/damned if you don't" situation.

Incredibly hard.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:21 pm
@dlowan,
Also, not only do I have kittens due (I feel as evil as Hamlet's mother) I have actually changed one of the kittens for another.

I decided to get a little black boy, called, for a brief time only in his life, Domonic, instead of Lily...the little brown and white one.

I am thus doubly unfaithful.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:24 pm
@dlowan,
There, there ...

<pat, pat>

But what a situation to be in!
dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:32 pm
@msolga,
Domonic is the little black fella here:

http://www.kiewacats.com/Kittens.html

The breeder can't manage her own website, so she hasn't put Lily back on the sale page.

Lara is still at the bottom left here:

http://www.kiewacats.com/Past-Kittens.html

I have to say I love Darcy because he looks like the kitten version of a tawny frogmouth...but I am assuming that is just the way he was posed when he was photographed.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:44 pm
@dlowan,
The Cornish Rex have very distinctive ears. Smile Wink

(Dominic is very pretty.)
dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:34 pm
@msolga,
They are like Siamese ears.

margo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 01:50 am
@dlowan,
Domonic - or Demonic???

Striking cats! And now you'll have to board 2 of them?! Sheeesh!