The new Puritans: Food Bullies . . .

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 11:35 am
Low fat, low salt, gluten-free, no carb noodles . . . what the hell ? ! ? ! ?

Seriously, i understand that some people can't eat this stuff, that some people are lactose intolerant, that some people need to cut their salt and fat. But what about the rest of us who don't need to, or just don't care? I like gluten. I love my carbs--potatoes, rice, pasta. I think commercial food companies have gone overboard with this (what's next, no chocolate chocolate?)--sure, provide those foods for those who need and want them, but let the rest of us have our carbs and fat and salt. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 9,088 • Replies: 128

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 11:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Low fat, low salt, gluten-free, no carb noodles . . . what the hell ? ! ? ! ?

Seriously, i understand that some people can't eat this stuff, that some people are lactose intolerant, that some people need to cut their salt and fat. But what about the rest of us who don't need to, or just don't care? I like gluten. I love my carbs--potatoes, rice, pasta. I think commercial food companies have gone overboard with this (what's next, no chocolate chocolate?)--sure, provide those foods for those who need and want them, but let the rest of us have our carbs and fat and salt. What do you think?

I think informing people is all that needs to be done.

The menus out here have to have the calories listed next to each dish at most restaurants. It really helps when you are out, to make choices that are lower-fat or lower-calorie. But if people want another plate of fettuccine alfredo, hey - more power to 'em.

Carbs are GREAT - if you work out on a regular basis. I bicycle and rock climb a lot. I needz my carbs.

Problem ain't the diet. Problem is that people are lazy sons of bitches who don't think it's necessary to exercise.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 11:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Carbs are GREAT - if you work out on a regular basis. I bicycle and rock climb a lot. I needz my carbs.

Yup. This is so true for people who are burning a lot of energy quickly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 11:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
What do you think?

you need more celery
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 12:02 pm
@Setanta,
I think some people just enjoy denying themselves stuff.

It's like some weird kind of mental anorexia.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 12:56 pm
@Setanta,
We need to eat regularly, slowly, chew well, and serve a variation of food. We have to listen to what our body wants.

Forget about low fat. if we do not eat any form of fat we will get hungry very fast and fill ourselves up with junkfood.
As far as I remember there has been a test that low fat products have other not very good increadiant and not much less fat than other products. Butter and margarine has the same amout - butter is healthier.
If you want some chocolate or something else sweat - have it as your body probably needs it.

Life is not depended on work outs. It is much more important to see to that your daily life if filled with moving around. Walk part of the way to work, walk up the stairs, get up when the telephone rings.......

If you listen more to the so called experts you forget to listen to your body and then you get into trouble with your health and weight.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:15 pm
Remember when we were advised to chew each bite about a hundred times? Turns out, we digest the food better if we don't chew so much.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:24 pm
@Setanta,
food bullies are the new elitism, foodies are the modern day equivalent "conspicuous consumption" several nights ago Lady Diane went to a major semi-upscale restaurant, 10 entree items of which 6 were skin-less chicken. without substantially altering skin-less chicken you have soylent green.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I dunno ed.

Ima hafta chew on that for a while...
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:26 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
. . . If you listen more to the so called experts you forget to listen to your
body and then you get into trouble with your health and weight.

What if your body keeps saying "Have another doughnut"?
Green Witch

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:27 pm
Carbs make me fat. I think we've all gotten fat because of too many carbs., especially the refined/processed ones.
I'm not a food bully, more of a food evangelist. Go ahead and eat whatever you like - as long as it's not from a factory farm...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:29 pm
@George,
George wrote:

saab wrote:
. . . If you listen more to the so called experts you forget to listen to your
body and then you get into trouble with your health and weight.

What if your body keeps saying "Have another doughnut"?

Then, run your ass down to the donut shop and run back.

I'm not a workout fanatic or some sort of evangelist, but the equation is simple: engage in a lot of physical activity on a regular basis and you stay healthy and can eat whatever you want.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:51 pm
@Setanta,
Who are the food bullies, though?

That affects my response, I think.

For example, I think school lunches are ridiculous and I'm all for mandating some sort of improvement there.

I like Michael Pollan and Mark Bittman (who has stopped doing recipes and is now doing op-ed advocacy type stuff) a lot, and I think they're saying important things.
Mame

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:04 pm
What I don't like is that things are mandated to everyone based on some. Why not ask people to control themselves or make better choices instead of mandating to the rest of us? You know, if a diabetic wants a coke, he's gonna have one. If it makes him ill, does that mean that nobody can buy a coke anymore? I don't drink it myself so I'm not speaking personally - it's just the point.

30 yrs ago my daughter's daycare decided to forbid potato chips, pop and cookies in kids' lunches. No problem for me except for the cookies - mine were homemade and healthIER than store-bought. I went along with it but I didn't like it. My kid couldn't have a homemade peanut butter cookie because some moms were filling their kids' lunches with junk? Yeah, don't like that AT ALL.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:06 pm
@Mame,
I don't understand what's being 'mandated for everyone' here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:10 pm
Well, I don't know what Set's referring to, but specifically in my case, there are several schools here who have mandated home lunches - items you MUST have in your lunch, and, of course, items you must NOT have. Parents get a demerit when the lunch mandates aren't met and the offending item is removed. I don't know who checks or how often or what the significance of the demerit is, and I don't have school-aged kids so it doesn't personally affect me, but I don't like it.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:15 pm
@Mame,

Quote:
My kid couldn't have a homemade peanut butter cookie..

I would think if you protested on an individual bases for the homemade cookies you might win. Unless they believe that sugar makes kids act up (an theory yet to be proven) they would have a hard time making a case for a cookie or two made without additives. Homemade cookies can be healthier than some store bought bread. Peanut butter is sometimes banned because of other children having allergies.

The only food Nazis I know are all vegans.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:19 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Parents get a demerit when the lunch mandates aren't met and the offending item is removed.

I wonder if they also make the offending parent stand in the corner for a time out. Yes, I think removing food items from a child's lunch goes too far, but I bet whomever removed your peanut butter cookies enjoyed them.
Mame

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:20 pm
@Green Witch,
Nah, I asked, "Even home-made" and they said they couldn't start making distinctions. Anyway, it doesn't matter, it's 30 yrs ago now but it did bug me a bit because I've always made nearly everything myself from scratch and I know what goes in it all. But, I know the point they were trying to make and agree with a lot of it. And back then, peanuts weren't as big an issue as they are now, for some reason.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 02:22 pm
@Green Witch,
HA! I complied so nobody got to eat them, except my daughter when she got home Smile

I should ask what happens with the demerits - probably a meeting with the principal!