House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

okie

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:00 pm
@failures art,
Perhaps one of the real issues here is why was Loughner not being scrutinized and watched more intently by law enforcement? Why weren't those questions being asked right away instead of authorities, including the sheriff, trying to throw the blame on somebody else? One of the questions I would like to see asked is why was Loughner with his obviously questionable track record allowed to attend the event in the first place?

I guess all kinds of questions are coming to mind. Wouldn't it be logical to have a signing in process, with presentation of I.D., and that sort of thing, to enter a political event like that? It appears to me that somebody dropped the ball big time.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:03 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Perhaps one of the real issues here is why was Loughner not being scrutinized and watched more intently by law enforcement? Why weren't those questions being asked right away instead of authorities, including the sheriff, trying to throw the blame on somebody else? One of the questions I would like to see asked is why was Loughner with his obviously questionable track record allowed to attend the event in the first place?

The event was outside, at a Safeway. I don't know how they could have stopped him. There was no cordon around the thing.

Quote:
I guess all kinds of questions are coming to mind. Wouldn't it be logical to have a signing in process, with presentation of I.D., and that sort of thing, to enter a political event like that? It appears to me that somebody dropped the ball big time.

Here's a question: would you like to have a government where you can't go hear your representative speak, or speak to them, without signing a list and showing ID? No town-hall meetings without records and lists of who was there, kept by the politicians?

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:07 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
I think I'd be deeply hurt to have a loved one killed and have everyone talk about the topic but omit their name.

These are six; imagine the amount of grief that daily besets the survivors of the 5 to 6 million slaughtered for no good reason, Art.

Imagine the amount of grief for those who have suffered a lifetime of caring for a child born deformed because of agent orange. Think of the thousands more who head for a future lifetime caring for yet more children born deformed because of depleted uranium.

Imagine if you will, an America that actually cared about people. Pretty tough to conjure up thought like that given the historical record, isn't it?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:08 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Perhaps one of the real issues here is why was Loughner not being scrutinized and watched more intently by law enforcement?

Wouldn't it be logical to have a signing in process, with presentation of I.D., and that sort of thing, to enter a political event like that?

seems like you're recommending increased government oversight.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Good points, cyclops. I asked those questions because I admit to not knowing how those kinds of things are handled. I am asking these questions because I have read there is a record of the police being called to the Loughner residence, and perhaps some questionable stuff going on where he went to school. I think it is proper to ask how this could have been prevented, similar to the way all of us asked how 9/11 could have been prevented. I know that is a totally different scale, but I think we ask those questions after any crime.

Maybe there was no practical way to prevent the crime, I will allow that as a possible answer, but I think it is at least worth exploring possibilities. I am not sure how I feel about this, but we have to almost lose our dignity anymore to board an airplane flight, and I can see the logic of considering at least some degree of security around a political event. For example, we could forego compiling a list of people entering, but what would be wrong with going through a metal detector at least?
JTT

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:13 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
I'm defending my position, nothing more.
The example you gave using the "full of ****" statement, was not end example of anything other then your own thought process.
If however, you think that "proves" that I am dishonest, then that's fine. You are welcome to you'd opinion.
However, it only proves it to you.

No, now you are lying. There were two examples and you're not even honest enough to note that. Instead you want to make excuses for your dishonesty.

Quote:
But if it makes you feel better and if its that important to you, then I will say I was wrong and offer my most humble apologies and beg for your forgiveness.
Does that make you feel better?

You owe me no apology. You owe an apology to the OP that you attacked based on a spurious assumption you made about language. That's where your apology is due.

Really, an honest person wouldn't be having this much trouble figuring it all out.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:19 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Good points, cyclops. I asked those questions because I admit to not knowing how those kinds of things are handled. I am asking these questions because I have read there is a record of the police being called to the Loughner residence, and perhaps some questionable stuff going on where he went to school. I think it is proper to ask how this could have been prevented, similar to the way all of us asked how 9/11 could have been prevented. I know that is a totally different scale, but I think we ask those questions after any crime.

Right. I think the problem at the end of the day is that greater enforcement of laws, more oversight and more people who watch out for this sort of thing is a combination of invasive and expensive, so there's plenty of people against doing that sort of thing.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Time to quit for today. Thanks for the civil conversation. rjb thanked me for something like that, and I thought "Hey, I thought I was always courteous!" Anyway, I thought it wouldn't hurt to recognize it again.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:48 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I don't believe that anyone is so perfect as to have never uttered a comment either in jest or anger that they wouldn't want an unstable person to act on. To a friend? To their spouse? Muttered under their breath? I guess what I wonder is, since you admit you did in an imperfect moment many years ago, why are you bent out of shape about it?

You are entitled to your opinion. Don't let mine bother you so much.

I think what bothered me is the way you and Finn tried to sound so absolute - he was calling people liars and fools for disagreeing with him, and you were posting laughing emoticons in agreement with Finn. Up till right now, it had seemed like you two were being a lot more definite, and claiming some irrefutable knowledge of human nature that no one in their right minds should be denying. I think someone said that your narcissism was showing - in thinking everyone had to think as you do. But a simple difference of opinions? I got no problem with a simple difference of opinions. Yours or anyone else's.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:52 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I got no problem with a simple difference of opinions. Yours or anyone else's.
HaHA...that's funny...

Oh Wait, were you serious?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:43 pm
@JTT,
I do imagine the grief of those lost in wars, mutilated, and born with defect. I think of them frequently. I do not require your assistance to think of these people, and If I knew them by name I'd be addressing them by it.

You're not on some sort of moral high ground by hijacking the topic of these deaths to soapbox about others dying. Don't pretend that you care more for the suffering of others than anyone else.

A
R
T
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:53 pm
@okie,
It's hard to know a lot about Loughner. Obviously a disturbed man, and it is certainly a shame that he did not seek or receive help that could have helped him. I imagine that his family must be struggling with a great deal of guilt and sorrow as well. I feel very bad for them.

I don't blame the local law enforcement. There's no real way to know every person's background in a city that size. The truth is there are people just as emotionally disturbed and potentially dangerous to others and themselves for whom the police have no idea. Probably some in Tucson for that matter. The police have a big job and only so much time and money. There's no way to find all the people that need help.

A
R
T
Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:55 pm
@failures art,
no, but as the economy squeezes tighter, we may meet a few more of them...
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 11:01 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Probably some in Tucson for that matter. The police have a big job and only so much time and money.

that is an understatement right there
Quote:
The Tucson Police Department will be tightening its already overloaded belt in the wake of the of the recent election results.

Tucson police/Ryn Gargulinski
But we saw that coming.

A majority 62 percent voted no to Proposition 400, which would have led to a one-half cent increase in Tucson city sales tax to help fund “core” services – things like firefighters and cops.

Please try not to start any blazes or create any mayhem or traffic crashes during these tough times.

While Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villaseñor promised no layoffs of commissioned personnel in his Nov. 3 memo to City Manager Mike Letcher, he did note other reductions in service that will kick in Dec. 5.

These reductions are hitting when the Tucson police force is already at nearly the lowest it has been in the past 10 years – with 145 fewer sworn members than a mere two years ago.

Welcome to the new Tucson.

On the flipside, frustration is through the roof.

“There has been a palpable increase in the use of psychological services by all members of the department, both sworn and non-sworn,” Villaseñor wrote in the memo.

“Feedback from a wide cross-section of employees over the past several months through our internal audit process has increasingly pointed toward frustration of being asked to do more with less, and simply being unable to meet the expectations of the public due to decreased staffing.”

Welcome to the new America
http://tucsoncitizen.com/rynski/tag/tucson-police-budget/
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:22 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
The sad truth is there is no way to keep guns out of the hands
of people that really want one.
That 's absolutely right; (except it is not sad).
When I was a child in Arizona, guns were very abundantly present in the naborhood;
everywhere that I knew of; all of the best known mfgrs. e.g. Colt, Smith & Wesson, etc.
That did not retard our amateur gunsmiths; some were better than others.
I was not especially good, but some fellows made some real beauties (revolvers).
We did it because we had time on our hands in the same spirit that scrimshaw is carved.

mysteryman wrote:
You can buy one on the street if you know where to go.
Of course; the Law of Supply and Demand is the supreme law of the land, for real.

mysteryman wrote:
And an asshole in a bar is gonna be an asshole, and there really is no way to prevent it.
True.

mysteryman wrote:
If someone is looking for a fight in a bar, or anywhere else,
then They will use whatever is handy as a weapon.
He will.

mysteryman wrote:
While I am a firm believer in the 2nd amendment,
I also believe in enforcing the gun laws regarding background checks.
Even without jurisdiction for the laws?
If government acts beyond its legitimate powers,
then it has no more authority than a schoolyard bully.

mysteryman wrote:
While that wont catch all of the crazies out there, is does catch many of them.
If some poor fellow is peaceful,
but he believes that he is the re-incarnation of Napoleon,
shoud he be prevented from defending his life
from the predatory violence of robbers,
or of wild animals, if he goes out fishing or jogging?
What happened to "equal protection of the laws" ??

mysteryman wrote:
I do believe that if someone does carry a gun,
they should have some safety training and have to attend a class on gun safety.
I believe that it shoud be tawt in the public schools,
right along side of arithmetic, history and fonetic spelling. Do u agree ?

mysteryman wrote:
I carry a gun here at work, as part of my job.
Not only did I have to get my state concealed carry permit,
I had to pass a gun safety course thru the company also.

Most propel[?], IN MY OPINION, that carry will never have to use one
against another person, and to be honest I don't think most people
could handle shooting someone.
I know I still have nightmares about it when I shot a man in Iraq.
I 'm glad that YOU shot HIM,
and HE is not the one with the nightmares
about shooting U, MM.
With what did u shoot him ?

mysteryman wrote:
However, my personal opinion about guns
is that I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
I 'm very glad that I had MINE,
when I needed it.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:27 am
@hawkeye10,
Goodbye, Barney & Andy.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 02:02 am
@farmerman,
May you and the little prick enjoy each others tremendous anal sphincters and disappear from A2K for a very long time.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 02:07 am
Restricting 2nd Amendment Isn't the Answer
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 04:54 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
SO, heres a deal. Im gonna thumb this thread down until, with enough other thums down, itll disappear up someones anal sphincter.

Count me out on that. It is an excellent thread. It fulfills the criteria of resistance analysis.

Have you seen the film of the cops in Tunisia throwing a cordon around a large store and then looting it themselves?

Leaving out the personal tragedies--it's show-biz. And personal tragedies are nothing special.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 06:35 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:
SO, heres a deal. Im gonna thumb this thread down until, with enough other thums down, itll disappear up someones anal sphincter.

Count me out on that. It is an excellent thread. It fulfills the criteria of resistance analysis.

Have you seen the film of the cops in Tunisia throwing a cordon around a large store and then looting it themselves?

Leaving out the personal tragedies--it's show-biz. And personal tragedies are nothing special.
Yes; we saw that in New Orleans, after Katrina. Police in full uniform, looting stores.

Thay also robbed the citizens of their guns.

Those police shoud be in prison, for a long time.

David
0 Replies