House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What was the wording of the question, Okie, that resulted in the 53%-35% split
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Maybe they are "woefully inadequate" for a reason Cyclo. What would happen if they weren't. Guns are illegal here but anyone determined enough can get one for £300.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:22 pm
The crosshairs map is providing a pass to bury the real issues which firefly's post gets much closer to.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, thanks for the clarification by posting the question in the poll. It appears that Finn's translation gave the wrong impression about what the question actually said. However, I think its been obvious that the crime had barely occurred when liberal pundits were beginning to throw out their accusations against conservatives, so I think the implications persist when the news media does not clarify the issue in an unbiased manner. For example, if somebody is accused of a crime or associated with a crime without evidence, it is often difficult to impossible for that person to totally clear his or her name, especially if the media does not make sure the falsity of the accusations are fully and completely published.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:32 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I've just checked into the forum here in the last few minutes, so I do not remember every post or challenge you may have written, cyclops. I would have to review the entire conversation from the beginning, but I think you posting the map with what you want to call crosshairs on it, I think you would have to admit that implies that you think that Palin had something to do with this event, does it not? I made nothing up. I believe you posted the map as pertinent to this case, didn't you?

Instead of asking me to do your homework for you, why don't you instead go back and read that actual post? I dare ya!

It'll teach you not to throw around accusations without first doing ten seconds of research. It's not difficult to look things up before posting, for you or anyone else.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:39 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
What was the wording of the question, Okie, that resulted in the 53%-35% split
If Walter's post showed it accurately, that is the wording, rjb.
By the way, I just noticed that the Republicans turned out to be far more correct with their answer, as I think the evidence increasingly shows pretty clearly that the guy was just crazy and mentally very unstable, and that it was not a crime that was politically motivated. He certainly did not seem astute enough politically to even differentiate which politicians he could agree with or not agree with. It appears it was a personal grudge from his previous experience in communicating with the congresswoman.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't feel like scrolling through the last 10 pages or so of this thread, cyclops. Why did you post Palin's map if you weren't implicating her and her map? I won't say you blame Palin directly, of course not, but you have been one of the biggest proponents on this thread in terms of trying to implicate conservative political criticism, etc. Why else would you have posted the map, and persist in arguing that it related to this case?
Lash

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:52 pm
@ehBeth,
There is subject matter that I would discuss with family or my lover that I'd never discuss with co-workers, students, the general public...

There are things I'd say to a friend I'd known 2 years that I wouldn't say to her one year previous...six months before that...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:54 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I don't feel like scrolling through the last 10 pages or so of this thread, cyclops. Why did you post Palin's map if you weren't implicating her and her map? I won't say you blame Palin directly, of course not, but you have been one of the biggest proponents on this thread in terms of trying to implicate conservative political criticism, etc. Why else would you have posted the map, and persist in arguing that it related to this case?

I repeat again: I posted no map in any post which stated that the map was in any way related to this case. And in no post in this thread - at all - have I stated that right-wing violent rhetoric was the cause of this assassination. In fact, in several posts I have directly said that it wasn't what influenced this guy to do it.

The long and short of it is that you are perfectly incorrect. Totally wrong with your accusation. And to top it off you're too lazy to even go back and check if you were correct or not. I don't know what's supposed to be compelling about such an argument.

Cycloptichorn
Lash

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:57 pm
@revelette,
I wish he'd take a long walk off a short pier.
Take that crazy driving down the interstate. I don't want to be a part of your ten car pile up, crazy person.
I hope a house falls on her, witch.
I hope she falls face first in a pile of horse poo.
Don't let the door hit your incredibly fat ass on your way out.
If there is a god, there is a meteor headed this way with his name on it.

You don't have to wish for someone to be dead...you just have to utter some violent action that someone could overhear and act on.

I really doubt either the veracity or self-awareness of people who deny it.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:05 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/1/12/1294872882530/Steve-Bell-cartoon-13.01.-001.jpg
and the squirrel is next
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:19 pm
@okie,

Okie

It wasn't my "translation."

I quote and provided a link to a USA today article.
okie

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
I repeat again: I posted no map in any post which stated that the map was in any way related to this case. And in no post in this thread - at all - have I stated that right-wing violent rhetoric was the cause of this assassination. In fact, in several posts I have directly said that it wasn't what influenced this guy to do it.

The long and short of it is that you are perfectly incorrect. Totally wrong with your accusation. And to top it off you're too lazy to even go back and check if you were correct or not. I don't know what's supposed to be compelling about such an argument.
Cycloptichorn

Cyclops, I just took the time and finally found your map when you first posted it on Page 49. I am going to have to admit I found out something I did not realize. Apparently, the person running against the congresswoman was somebody named Jesse Kelly. I will tell you something, this person's language is the issue, not Palin's map. If your quote is accurate, that the guy had a fundraiser entitled "Get on Target for Victory in November - Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office. Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly!" At said fundraiser the candidate and his constituents reportedly fired at targets which had Gifford's initals written on them."

I am going to have to agree with you this time, to a point. I think the guy used totally inappropriate language and campaign method. Not only was his target shooting inappropriate but I find it stupid as well. Granted, I guess he was a war vet and perhaps that kind of thing would be considered normal to target shoot at a campaign rally as a harmless mataphor, but nevertheless, he should realize there are too many nutcases around to use those types of metaphors.

Similarly, I think Obama's comment about bringing a gun if the opposition brings a knife is just as stupid.

Summary on this one, I think Palin's map is pretty innocuous, but Kelly is not too bright to do what he did, and I condemn it. I think you were correct on the Jesse Kelly guy. I would like you to also condemn equally stupid comments by Democrats as well, however.
okie

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Okie
It wasn't my "translation."
I quote and provided a link to a USA today article.
You are right, my apologies, Finn. If I am understanding this whole thing now, maybe the poll question was as Walter linked to, but the reporting of the poll by USA Today was skewed as you quoted it. This may be just another example of poor reporting by the mainstream media, which I would group USA Today as being a part of.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I hope like hell she gets the Republican nomination....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5mxw-sYc_F0/SSsc3wZ3lZI/AAAAAAAATnU/do3looSXTz4/s400/sav_v.gif
plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:36 pm
Glock Pistol Sales Up After Arizona Shootings
First Posted: 01/11/11 03:33 PM Updated: 01/12/11 09:47 AM

Hey, everyone. Not to unnerve you, but apparently, days after a madman went on a murdery rampage with a Glock in Arizona, Arizonans are heading to gun stores in droves to purchase the very same weapon used by Jared Lee Loughner. It's as good an example as anything to demonstrate that there really is no such thing as bad publicity, only an implacable, gnawing cynicism that permeates our existence and sends us, sobbing, into a fetal position.

Michael Riley from Bloomberg News documents how we at last have stimulated some aggregate demand in something!

After a Glock-wielding gunman killed six people at a Tucson shopping center on Jan. 8, Greg Wolff, the owner of two Arizona gun shops, told his manager to get ready for a stampede of new customers.

Wolff was right. Instead of hurting sales, the massacre had the $499 semi-automatic pistols -- popular with police, sport shooters and gangsters -- flying out the doors of his Glockmeister stores in Mesa and Phoenix.
"We're at double our volume over what we usually do," Wolff said two days after the shooting spree that also left 14 wounded, including Democratic Representative Gabrielle Giffords, who remains in critical condition.
Of course, this is nothing new, nor is it a localized oddity:

One-day sales of handguns in Arizona jumped 60 percent to 263 on Jan. 10 compared with 164 the corresponding Monday a year ago, the second-biggest increase of any state in the country, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation data.

Handgun sales rose 65 percent to 395 in Ohio; 16 percent to 672 in California; 38 percent to 348 in Illinois; and 33 percent to 206 in New York, the FBI data show. Sales increased nationally about 5 percent, to 7,906 guns.

Federally tracked gun sales, which are drawn from sales in gun stores that require a federal background check, also jumped following the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech, in which 32 people were killed.

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:37 pm
@plainoldme,
The entire state is full of cowardly, paranoid idiots.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:39 pm
@McTag,
Are you familiar with the case of Phineas Gage, a 19th C railroad worker from Vermont? While setting charges to dynamite a stretch of rock, one ignited prematurely, sending the metal tamping rod through his skull. This incident reminds me of that earlier one.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:42 pm
@H2O MAN,
Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Waterboy admits
Quote:
She's now a born again Conservative.

Encouraging indeed.

that conservatives are created via traumatic head injuries.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 05:45 pm
@McTag,
Excellent likeness of palin
0 Replies