House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

McTag

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 04:22 am

The bullet went through the hemisphere of Mrs Giffords' brain which controls personality and memory.
So- time will tell- but maybe she did die.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 06:52 am
Ownership of a gun, with a permit to carry same, demonstrates independence and a willingness
to fight to defend one's self and family. This is not something that liberals are likely to admire.

TAKING UP ARMS
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:36 am
@H2O MAN,
Well--buying a gun and a permit is a very easy way of demonstrating what you say it does and does not imply that those who do not buy a gun and a permit are no less independent or willing to defend themselves and their families.

In fact the money they save by not buying a gun helps them to be more independent and useful to their family. They might feel they do not need props of any sort or that they need a gun on the million to one chance that someone will attack them.

There might well be more accidents with a gun than there are events where one is needed for defence.

It must be rather odd going about all day in a perpetual state of readiness.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:40 am
There is no doubt that the left was laying in wait for talk radio. They tried to bury talk radio after the Oklahoma City bombing. Didn't work. After the drubbing they took in last November's elections they cranked it up again. Race Pimp Preacher Al Sharpton started screaming for the FCC to clamp down on talk radio.

ONE HAND ... OVER-PLAYED
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:43 am
@spendius,
Your attempt to rationalize your decision to let others serve and protect you has been noted.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:43 am
@H2O MAN,
al sharpton is a steaming pile of **** in a cheap suit, why couldn't he have been standing in front of the congresswoman
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:46 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Ownership of a gun, with a permit to carry same, demonstrates independence and a willingness
to fight to defend one's self and family. This is not something that liberals are likely to admire.

TAKING UP ARMS

Tell us from your vast experience waterboy.... how does it feel to kill someone in self defense or the defense of your family? What is the sound of the bullet hitting the body of your assailant? What is the smell of blood? What does it smell like when your assailants bowels let go? Please enlighten us pussies, because you are one tough son of a bitch.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 07:59 am
@Lash,
I'm quite careful about what I say here. Not quite as rigorous as in real life , but I do spend a fair bit of time editing my comments here if they are not positive. Often, I decide against posting them entirely.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:01 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
but we all do it.

no. we don't all do it.

I can assure you that I know quite a few people who have never and will never made a comment wishing "for some kind of mayhem to happen to someone else". We may think it, but we don't say it.
djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:04 am
@H2O MAN,
i have been fortunate to not have to feel i needed a weapon to fight for or defend anyone, as for guns, i admit, i don't get handguns, i've fired them, i guess they're fun, like most diversions i got bored pretty quickly, i have no problem with long guns, most of my neighbours (in canada) own them and hunt regularly

the fight in the states is a moot point, you can't put the genie back in the bottle, the guns are out there, i'm glad that canada has strict policy on handguns, it's not stopped guns from getting on the streets and it hasn't stopped gun violence, but i've never felt threatened or in danger when out on the streets of a large city
ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:12 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Code switching is almost universal. People tend to shift language, content and delivery based on who they're around. It's incredibly common and not thought to be a negative thing.

Why change content? It is easier all round if messages are consistent.
snood

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:19 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

al sharpton is a steaming pile of **** in a cheap suit, why couldn't he have been standing in front of the congresswoman

Thanks. That was real helpful in context of this thread.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:26 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i have been fortunate to not have to feel i needed a weapon to fight for or defend anyone, as for guns, i admit, i don't get handguns, i've fired them, i guess they're fun, like most diversions i got bored pretty quickly, i have no problem with long guns, most of my neighbours (in canada) own them and hunt regularly

the fight in the states is a moot point, you can't put the genie back in the bottle, the guns are out there, i'm glad that canada has strict policy on handguns, it's not stopped guns from getting on the streets and it hasn't stopped gun violence, but i've never felt threatened or in danger when out on the streets of a large city

Prepare for the worst situation and hope for the best.

I have hand guns, shoot them from time to time and keep one in my truck. I rarely carry one on my person except when I'm working in and around my properties.

That said, I am all for Americans owning and carrying side arms if they choose to do so. I do not support additional restrictions. I do support better firearm training for civilians.

Long guns are my favorites, Norinco and Poly Tech M14s in particular.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:27 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

He would have made an excellent steaming pile of human shield.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:32 am
@snood,
i like to be helpful
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 08:38 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
There might well be more accidents with a gun
than there are events where one is needed for defence.
According to the National Safety Council,
accidental gunfire costs fewer lives annually than drowning.

spendius wrote:
It must be rather odd going about all day in a perpetual state of readiness.
Not for us; (nor for English gentlemen, until around 1920).

David
revelette

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:28 am
@McTag,
Quote:
The bullet went through the hemisphere of Mrs Giffords' brain which controls personality and memory.
So- time will tell- but maybe she did die.

There has been reports of encouraging signs. She has opened her right eye.

Quote:
Gillibrand said she was holding Giffords' left hand when she started to feel it move. Giffords squeezed the senator's hand, then rubbed her hand with her thumb.

Then Giffords' right eye started to flicker. (Her left eye, damaged in the shooting, is bandaged.) For about 30 seconds, Giffords struggled, before finally opening her eye wide and straining to focus on her friends, husband, parents and doctor.

source

She responds to simple commands and can breathe on her own. These are encouraging signs but its still too early to say if she will have a full recovery or setbacks.

Quote:
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Doctors say Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is able to breathe on her own, but is still using a breathing tube as a precaution.

"I'm happy to say she's holding her own. Her status is the same as it was yesterday," Dr. Lemole said. "She's still following those simple commands. We've been able to back off on some of the sedation and she's able to generate her own breaths. She's breathing on her own."

Doctors also now believe that Giffords was shot in the front of the head with the bullet exiting through the back.

"She was shot. The bullet did enter her skull; the bullet did traverse through her brain and then exited out the back leaving behind some fragments of bone, so she is critically ill," Dr. Ling said.

source
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:32 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

There has been reports of signs.
She has opened her right eye.

She's now a born again Conservative.

Encouraging indeed.
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:33 am
@OmSigDAVID,
When I wrote--

Quote:
There might well be more accidents with a gun
than there are events where one is needed for defence.

I used the word "might" as an admission that I don't know any statistics on the matter. I didn't emphasise the word because I think it insults the intelligence of readers to do so. It is a technique employed when talking to children or the dim-witted and requires a mentality which proceeds on the assumption that those being addressed fall into one or other of the two categories.

But it has to be said that the response you offered Dave--

Quote:
According to the National Safety Council,
accidental gunfire costs fewer lives annually than drowning.

is profoundly incoherent. So I presume you have picked up the patronising habit of emphasis by aping people who have addressed you in such a manner in your past.

You might have made your point more emphatically by referring to motor or medical accidents rather than drowning.

The point remains unanswered and the idea that it was answered is preposterous.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:34 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I would have been a whole lot more impressed with Obama today if he had had the balls to point out that this murder spree was not so far as we know the result of heated political discourse, but was rather the result of a nut job who never got the help he needed. The way I read his comments Obama is leaving open that this happening had something to do with discourse, if Obama had made clear that he was talking about the post shooting debate it would be much easier to take him seriously.

I don't think you're reading them with the same emphasis that he placed on them. I thought he made it quite clear that this was "Not" a case where the rhetoric had a link to the shooting.