House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:22 pm
@H2O MAN,
What? It did twice. (First on its way in, then on its way out. Entrance wound and exit wound but they aren't sure which was which.) The front wound (whether it turns out to be exit or entry) is evidently around the eye socket/forehead -- which would definitely be skull penetration.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:27 pm
@sozobe,
I'm told that the bullet did enter and exit the skin... the bullet struck her head at an angle,
it traveled under the skin between the scalp and the skull, but never fully penetrated the skull.

okie

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
On the subject of Giffords, cyclops, I am glad she will hopefully pull through it. Guns are not the issue, its how they are used. In a similar way, religion such as Islam is not the principle issue, it is how it is used. The same principle could be applied to the kooky church in Kansas. It is the kooky people misusing a religion to further their agenda.

I hope you have rethought your posting of the map with the survey markers, as I think you should know better than that. Demagoguery does not unify the country. Nor does Obama talking about some of us here in this country as his enemies, that does not improve things. You would have never heard George W. Bush say things like that.
Setanta

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:35 pm
Jesus, i can't believe anyone is till trying to peddle that "survey marks" horse ****.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:36 pm
@Setanta,
ain't it cute...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@okie,
okie wrote:

On the subject of Giffords, cyclops, I am glad she will hopefully pull through it. Guns are not the issue, its how they are used. In a similar way, religion such as Islam is not the principle issue, it is how it is used. The same principle could be applied to the kooky church in Kansas. It is the kooky people misusing a religion to further their agenda.

This part is fine. Though you ought to explain that to Ican.

Quote:
I hope you have rethought your posting of the map with the survey markers, as I think you should know better than that.

This is rank bullshit and you know it. Those weren't 'survey markers' on that map. It doesn't even make any sense to claim that they were. It doesn't fit the map at all or the words attached to it. Palin's team themselves later referred to them as targets.

It's completely and totally farcical. Don't stoop to this level - just admit that it was a stupid thing for Palin to do and move one.

Quote:
Demagoguery does not unify the country. Nor does Obama talking about some of us here in this country as his enemies, that does not improve things. You would have never heard George W. Bush say things like that.

You're not allowed to call someone your 'political enemy?'

Re: Bush, he said plenty of dumb things, I'm sure we don't want to have that conversation. At the very least, when he said 'you either side with us or the terrorists,' we was talking in large part to Americans who were against his war in Iraq. I think that goes a little farther than referring to the other side as political enemies.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

@H2O MAN,
Who told you that?

It traversed the brain, front to back, staying in the left hemisphere. Not clear whether the entry point was front or back but the actual pathway does not seem to be in doubt. Evidently the family has asked that it not be specified since they didn't want speculation about how she will be affected, but there doesn't seem to be any question that it went in through the skull, passed through the brain, then went out through the skull.

Quote:
"This wasn't a little grazing wound to the brain. This was a devastating wound that traveled the entire length of the brain on the left side," said Dr. Peter Rhee, trauma medical director at UMC.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7082UY20110109
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:38 pm
@sozobe,
I've heard it mention in the news more than once.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:39 pm
@sozobe,
he says while blinking and backpedaling...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:39 pm
@H2O MAN,
Find other "news" to listen to then.

'Cause whatever you're listening to is patently false.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:44 pm
@sozobe,
I am happy with my sources of information, others may want to consider changing their news sources though.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:49 pm
ignorance is bliss.

and a warm gun...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Those weren't 'survey markers' on that map. It doesn't even make any sense to claim that they were. It doesn't fit the map at all or the words attached to it. Palin's team themselves later referred to them as targets.
Rockhead asked me what they were and land or lot corners were my first thought, because first of all I am not a gun guy, I worked with maps in my geology and surveying career, so that was my first thought, which I answered Rockhead. So they are targets, so what, how is that different than using the term "battleground states" for example, which all of the press and most politicians use?
Quote:
It's completely and totally farcical. Don't stoop to this level - just admit that it was a stupid thing for Palin to do and move one.
Sure we should move on, but to link Palins map to the shooting, that is what is stupid and farcical, cyclops, and I think you know it.
Quote:
Quote:
Demagoguery does not unify the country. Nor does Obama talking about some of us here in this country as his enemies, that does not improve things. You would have never heard George W. Bush say things like that.
You're not allowed to call someone your 'political enemy?'

Re: Bush, he said plenty of dumb things, I'm sure we don't want to have that conversation. At the very least, when he said 'you either side with us or the terrorists,' we was talking in large part to Americans who were against his war in Iraq. I think that goes a little farther than referring to the other side as political enemies.
Cycloptichorn
It doesn't bother me, cyclops, but if I think about it, I do in fact resent my own president calling me an enemy when he lacks the principle to call dictators around the world as enemies. Also, in the same breath you condemn Palin for targeting certain congressional races! I think your hypocrisy is showing. As is so common in politics, perhaps Democrats are not alone, but they certainly have honed demagoguery into a fine art, to use any unfortunate event or occurrence to further their aims. It is frankly getting old, and I think most people have caught onto the Democrats about this kind of stuff. I do not think the Democrats came out ahead on this one, and I hope they realize that "blood libel" is nonproductive, as Palin has pointed out.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:52 pm
@okie,
"It doesn't bother me, cyclops, but if I think about it, I do in fact resent my own president calling me an enemy"

yet you have called him an enemy. and put him in bed with terrorists.

no?
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:52 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

Ill tell you what Smile invite Sarah to read my topics. If she leaves a post............ Then I would consider it honor..... To attemp to understand her point of view Smile
Omg Omg I just saw the number of readers in my topics go up by 1........ You think............ could it be.............. Dang its probaly one of my dilusions again Smile Smile Smile
Common you are one of the most popular political leaders of our time. This about one of the most heated political current events topics. I am coming of the side of the mentaly ill side of the topic. It could only help your carer. If you did something. Anything .............heck post "Hi I am reading it". That statement alone...... in my mind......... would catapult you politicaly.......... but then again.......... I am not a polititian Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
you've got sources other than the medical team treating Ms. Giffords? can you link them?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:08 pm
@okie,
Quote:
I do not think the Democrats came out ahead on this one, and I hope they realize that "blood libel" is nonproductive, as Palin has pointed out.

Do you even know what 'blood libel' is? Neither you nor Palin seem to have any clue what that phrase means.

I'll give you a hint: it doesn't mean anything even remotely close to what she thinks it does.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Sometimes, I go target shooting with friends;
sometimes take a young lady to a gunnery range
then on to dinner and a movie.

I don't know how you can stand it Dave.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:15 pm
Here's a balanced take on Palin from Ezra Klein at the Post -

Quote:
Sarah Palin's missed opportunity
By Ezra Klein

I'll stand with Jon Chait and, oddly enough, Sarah Palin on this one: Palin is right to feel aggrieved. As Chait says, many have blamed her for a killing rampage that she had nothing to do with. A lot of Palin's rhetoric is over the top, and her gun metaphors ("RELOAD!") and her target sights looked unsettling in light of subsequent events. But the subsequent events were not her fault.

Moreover, I just don't care if Palin thought "blood libel" was a vivid way of saying "nasty smear" instead of a description of the once-common anti-Semitic trope that Jews murder Christian children because their blood is needed to bake matzoh. I'm Jewish, so I know the term well. But I imagine the history of it is more obscure to those who didn't attend Hebrew school.

What is remarkable to me, however, is Palin's ability to never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Palin didn't ask to be part of this story. But she did choose how to respond to it. Imagine if Palin had come out and said, "My initial response was to defend the fact that I had never condoned such violence, and never would. But the fact is, if I in any way contributed to an unhealthy political climate, I have to be more careful and deliberate in my public language rather than merely sharpen my defenses." That would've been leadership: It would have made her critics look small, and it would've made her look big. Those who doubted whether Palin could rise to an occasion that called for more than sharp partisanship would've been silenced.

Of course, Palin didn't say that. Al Sharpton did (or at least he said something very close). Palin accused her opponents of propagating a "blood libel." Rather than admitting that we all sometimes go too far, and that we must constantly work to see the humanity in others and tamp down on the dangerous certainty we have in ourselves, she mocked the idea that political rhetoric was ever "less heated" and noted that there was a time when politicians settled disputes through duels.

So that's Palin's substantive response: Politics has never been reliably civil, and at least she's not shot anybody. Both things are true. But you won't find "stop bothering me, this tragedy isn't my fault" in the chapter headings of any books on leadership. Palin could've taken this opportunity to look very big, and instead she now looks very small. And that's not the fault of her detractors or her map. It's her fault, and her fault alone.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:16 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Plus he was stopped for running a red light. One wishes that the police officer who stopped him had the gift of sight, but it sounds like other than being able to foresee the future there was no reason to detain him.

If you're referring to the day of the event, I believe that he went there in a taxi, Soz.