House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:23 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Rep. Bob Brady (D-Pa.) says he is working on a bill to make it a federal crime to use "language or symbols" that could be interpreted as inciting violence against a member of Congress, he told CNN in an interview.

What about the rest of Americans?

We're nowhere near as important as members of Congress
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:29 pm
@spendius,
David is not talking about fighting; he's talking about self-defense.
BillW

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:33 pm
@wmwcjr,

Quote:

Are you David's sock puppet or his significant other?
JTT

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
We're nowhere near as important as members of Congress

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, ...
JPB

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:40 pm
@JTT,
Created equal and equally important aren't the same thing, JTT.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:40 pm
@JTT,
some are just more equal than others...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:42 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Quote:

Are you David's sock puppet or his significant other?

David is the only one who comes to his defense when he gets attacked for his constant whining attitude regarding sports, so he thinks they are friends and that David is a reasonable guy Confused

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:45 pm
Loughner's parents are about to make a statement.

Live coverage here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41023255#41023255
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:46 pm
@JPB,
You only have to look at how the US has treated people in countries that it's easily able to bully to know that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I wonder how you feel about King's (R-NY) proposal to ban guns within a thousand feet of any lawmaker?

Not just the lefties getting upset over this event apparently

Cycloptichorn

I haven't read anything about it yet, but if you have not mischaracterized it, I think it's ridiculous.

It wouldn't have prevented the Tuscan shootings.
Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

They shot somebody in Tuscany, too? What happens in Italy is hardly relevant to this discussion.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

I wonder how you feel about King's (R-NY) proposal to ban guns within a thousand feet of any lawmaker?

Not just the lefties getting upset over this event apparently

Cycloptichorn

I haven't read anything about it yet, but if you have not mischaracterized it, I think it's ridiculous.

You think I would mis-characterize such a simple thing, Finn? C'mon.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/01/top-republican-rep-pete-king-to-introduce-gun-control-legislation.html

Quote:
ABC News’ John R. Parkinson reports:

The chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security Peter King, R-New York, announced today that he will introduce a bill that would ban knowingly carrying a firearm within 1,000 feet of certain high-profile government officials.

[Mayor Michael Bloomberg] and I have discussed that we are introducing in the next several weeks legislation which would make it a federal crime to carry a weapon within 1,000 feet of any event which is attended by the President, the Vice President, members of the Senate, members of the House of Representatives, Cabinet officials, including the CIA director as well as federal judges,” King announced this morning at City Hall in New York City.

Just sayin'. Before blaming the Dems for overreacting, you should look at what your own party is doing.

Cycloptichorn
BillW

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
David is the only one who comes to his defense when he gets attacked for his constant whining attitude regarding sports, so he thinks they are friends and that David is a reasonable guy

So, the answer is - both. The only one he could live with, himself; and, a sock for coverage........
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:04 pm
For your reading enjoyment

Horrid Crime, Dishonest Debate - andrew c mccarthy

Quote:
The atrocity has called on us to indulge a double fantasy. First, that it is worth the time and effort to engage Obama’s base in a debate about the root cause of the shootings, and specifically about whether what the Left frames as an atmosphere of toxic rhetoric (translation: the Tea Party, talk radio, and Fox News) is to blame. Second, that without such a debate, we wouldn’t and couldn’t know why this atrocity happened.

Contemptible Opportunists Obscure Actual Problem-mona charen

Quote:
Strangely, the Left never perceived a link between the rhetoric of Al Gore and the violence of environmental-extremist “Unabomber” Ted Kaczynski, or, say, the anti-free-trade stance of American labor unions and the anti-globalization riots that have accompanied all of the IMF and World Bank meetings of the past several years.

The Abuse of Tucson - jeff lowery

Quote:
The political use of Tucson is the latest blast against a Tea Party that the Left will never consider legitimate. First it was astroturf, then it was racist, now it is murderous. It’s hard to see what could be next in this progression.

BillW

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:05 pm
If it weren't true, why is the entire righty nation so paranoid about it? Where there is smoke there is fire.......
firefly

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:07 pm
I think I read that Loughner was able to fire 33 rounds in about 8 seconds. And he had more clips of ammunition in his pockets. This tragedy could have been an even more horrendous bloodbath--partly due to the high capacity ammunition clip that Loughner used.

I support Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy's efforts to ban the high power ammunition clips--those holding more than 15 rounds. These clips simply facillitate rapid mass murder, and they were previously banned in 1994 for a period of 10 years. There is no legitimate reason that such ammunition should be legal.
For McCarthy, the issue is personal--with good reason.
Quote:
Shooting stirs memories of McCarthy's pain
January 10, 2011
By MICHAEL AMON

Carolyn McCarthy's pain suddenly came rushing back.

The congresswoman was watching CNN on her living room couch in Mineola, taking care of bills, when the news broke Saturday afternoon: Her colleague, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, had been shot in the head.

McCarthy's thoughts flashed back to Dec. 7, 1993. She had arrived home after a day at work as a nurse, and noticed the Christmas tree lying undecorated in the driveway - despite her husband and son's promise to put it up.

McCarthy's brother rushed over and told her what had happened: Her husband, Dennis, was dead, and her son, Kevin, was gravely injured with a gunshot wound to the head. They were among the 25 victims - six of whom died - of Colin Ferguson in the Long Island Rail Road shooting rampage.

"The pain is still there," McCarthy said Monday in an emotional interview at her home. "I know what Gabby's husband is going through. It's going to be very, very painful for them."

Each gun-related tragedy since then - from Columbine to Virginia Tech - has forced her to relive the day that still makes her cry 17 years later.

In the last two days, McCarthy has fielded phone calls from worried family and friends. "They say, 'Are you all right?'" I say, 'No, no, I'm all right.' But it's still painful."

"Many people say, 'Why don't you let it go?' " McCarthy said of the 1993 shootings. "But it's not a matter of letting it go. We're going on with our lives, but it's still there."

Knowing Giffords (D-Ariz.) during four years in Congress has made it even more difficult to cope with Saturday's shooting, McCarthy said. So have the "eerie" similarities between the shootings - the magazine clip, the number of dead, how the shooter was subdued by bystanders, and the head wounds suffered by her son and Giffords.

"As a victim's family, it's probably the hardest thing you have to keep going through, when you hear about things like this," McCarthy said. "When you know the person, it becomes even more personal."

McCarthy, a Democrat, has channeled her experience into committed advocacy for stricter national gun control laws.

With the attack on Giffords, McCarthy is back in the national spotlight, proposing legislation to limit the high-capacity ammunition clips used by Ferguson and allegedly by the lone suspect in Giffords' shooting, Jared Loughner.

McCarthy spent Monday making television appearances to tout the bill.

Gun-control advocates say they hope lawmakers' personal connections to Giffords may overcome significant opposition to McCarthy's bill, in a chamber now controlled by Republicans.

"Everyone in Congress is affected; people don't like to see their friend get shot," said Chad Ramsey, federal legislative director for the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence.

McCarthy said she has contacted House Speaker John Boehner about her bill, which has a companion in the Senate. She said it would reinstitute a ban on ammunition clips holding more than 15 rounds, a prohibition lifted when a law regulating assault weapons expired in 2004.

"I'm not touching the guns, I'm just talking the large-capacity clips," she said.

A spokesman for Boehner did not respond to a message seeking comment on her bill. Nor did representatives of the National Rifle Association, which opposed the ban on assault weapons.

McCarthy called passage of the ammunition bill "personal."

She has been watching the news late into the night for scraps of information about Giffords' condition, each detail reminding her of her own son's two-year ordeal to recover from his head wound.

He remains paralyzed on the left side of his body and goes to physical therapy, but has returned to a normal life otherwise, she said.

"I look at my miracles and I'm hoping that will be the same for Gabby," McCarthy said."
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/shooting-stirs-memories-of-mccarthy-s-pain-1.2600346

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Does the National Review pay you to link to crappy articles, or what?

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Just sayin'. Before blaming the Dems for overreacting, you should look at what your own party is doing.

Cycloptichorn

Why?

Because King is overreacting, an assertion that Brady is isn't valid?

I don't see this as a contest between Democrats and Republicans or that either party is perfectly evil or perfectly good.

I hadn't seen the King story and I'm not about to scour the internet for such stories before I comment on one about a Democrat.

(I know you invest this sort of time to your postings Cyclo, but then you are so unbiased and non-partisan)

When you brought up the King proposal I commented it was ridiculous.

And you and others accuse me of just trying to pick a fight. Rolling Eyes

Well at least you're not making idiotic comments about words I happen to misspell. I'll certainly give you that.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Does the National Review pay you to link to crappy articles, or what?

Cycloptichorn

I wish they did, but no, I do it out of sincere desire to spread, if not truth, than different perspectives on A2K.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

When you brought up the King proposal I commented it was ridiculous.

And you and others accuse me of just trying to pick a fight. Rolling Eyes

I only bothered to post the article due to questions of whether I 'mis-characterized' Kings' position.

Quote:
Well at least you're not making idiotic comments about words I happen to misspell. I'll certainly give you that.

Why bother? It's like shooting fish in a barrel. No sport in it. I must say though, that the idea that people who POINT OUT your errors are the ones who are idiotic is, well. Deliciously funny.

Cycloptichorn