@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

ogres are much scarier than dragons.

But both will eat you
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 09:59 am
@parados,
He's one to talk. He delivers some very over the top rhetoric, couched in humor - and taken very seriously by his far left devotees. But, true to form, he looks across the fence rather than in the mirror.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:00 am
@engineer,
Pretty much exactly encapsulates my views on the issue.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:04 am
@DrewDad,
I don't want to turn this into a debate about Islamists, butI never said that Islam is synonomous with terrorism. In fact I have argued, within this forum, that terrorism or violence is not the logical and predictable outcome of following the teachings of Islam.

I do not follow the teachings of any religion and yet I have a great respect for all of them. Anyone who has actually read my posts will know this to be true.

However, the Islamist terrorists have, among other commonalities, a fierce allegiance to a fundamentalist brand of their religion that I abhor, and it is ridiculous to not identify and deal with this connection.

If the shooter was crying "Praise Jesus!" as he mowed down his victims in Tuscan, and we subsequently found that he was a member of an extremist Christian sect that advocated terrorism, I would label him a Christian Terrorist...until I could find a word like Islamist that separated him from peaceful practising Christians, and if he and his fellow Christian Terrorists were responsible for numerous violent attacks and thousands of dead and wounded, you can bet that I would pointing out that we cannot ignore their religious affiliations.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:09 am
@engineer,
Did Palin et al drive this particular attack? NO.

Does the current atmosphere of politicians creating a climate of fear and the wink-wink attitude
of those pandering to the radical right extreme make cases of political violence more likely? NO.

The weak posture and pass the buck attitude of the left is what will make cases of political violence more likely.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:10 am
This guy looks like a Chicago Thug.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1663/33c9.png
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Rush is currently saying the "Obama's Big Brother" are using this incident to silence "the political opposition." The material in quotes are direct quotes of what he said. Of course, he is shamelessly exploiting this incident for his own purposes--but that's different, right?

At this point it isn't any different.

However, if the Obama Administration took this opportunity to implement regulations that shut down conservative talk radio, it would be different. I've yet to see this happen or be suggested so he's no better than his Lefty equivalents.
revelette

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:20 am
Apparently, this guy had mental problems dating back a few years. Also, he showed up at a Giffords event at a mall in 2007 and was not satisfied with Giffords answer. I think we can take from this that Sara Palin's crosshairs was not the cause of his shooting Saturday. If he has been watching the news and reading the Internet, the extreme rhetoric probably only just enforced his beliefs.

We on the left have been saying all along that the violent tinged rhetoric from the right/tea party has been too much. Gifford's herself made such a statement not that long ago.

Quote:
Certainly, Palin raised no public objection when people, including Giffords, at the time said they thought the map showed gun sights.

"We're on Sarah Palin's Targeted list," Giffords told MSNBC in March, after the door of her Tucson office was smashed after her vote in favor of the health care bill. "But the thing is the way she has it depicted, it has the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district and when people do that, they've got to realize there are consequences to that action." Giffords, however, demurred when the interviewer noted that such imagery has long been a staple of politics and asked whether Palin really meant it. "I can't say, I'm not Sarah Palin," Giffords replied.

I realize it so happens the two are not connected, this time. But given the rheteric, it could have been because there has been a lot of threats and some vandalism has taken place. So it is a serious issue which needs to be discussed and now that attention has been brought to it, now is a good time.

Source for above quote.
Gunsights or Surveyor Symbols?
djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
However, if the Obama Administration took this opportunity to implement regulations that shut down conservative talk radio, it would be different.

he should be advocating to have liberal talk radio shut down, that stuff is pathetic, at least the right wing nuts are entertaining
DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And I think the lessons to be learned from this are: guns don't make you safe, and ambushes work.
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

When do our first Amendment rights of free speech become hate speech.

Atlantic Monthly gave two points that are what they consider the foundational base of hate speech, these two are:

1When any person or group begins espousing violence as a way to achieve their goals (They mentioned the gunsight targets on specific political opponents)

2Whenever anyone in a discussion asserts that anyone who doesnt believe as they , is a traitor , or a commie, or is interested in the downfall of the US.(sound like some 2Kers we know?).

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:31 am
@DrewDad,
david won't be happy unless we all are having shoot outs like a modern day OK Corral. May the one with the most deadly weapon win on all our street corners and front porches.
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:31 am
@revelette,
A valid test of whether any connections between Sarah Plin nd this act could be inferred would be;
Watch to see how long it takes Sarah to pull her trget gun sights off her website
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:32 am
http://www.salon.com/ent/comics/this_modern_world/2011/01/10/this_modern_world/story.jpg

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:33 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

A valid test of whether any connections between Sarah Plin nd this act could be inferred would be;
Watch to see how long it takes Sarah to pull her trget gun sights off her website

Negative three days, it happened almost immediately

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:36 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Apparently, this guy had mental problems dating back a few years.

No ****!

Apparently, this guy put up red flags all over the place for many years.

Sarah Palin, Conservatives, the T.E.A. Party and Conservative talk radio had nothing to do with this guy's actions.
The guy is Nucking Futs.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:38 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O Man said
Quote:
Did Palin et al drive this particular attack? NO.

Does the current atmosphere of politicians creating a climate of fear and the wink-wink attitude
of those pandering to the radical right extreme make cases of political violence more likely? NO.

The weak posture and pass the buck attitude of the left is what will make cases of political violence more likely.

Your score: 1 right, 1 wrong and one statement that I absolutely agree with.
\The left has been too weak in confronting the outrageous inflammatory threatening speech from all quarters. Our failure to call out "Stop it" to those who more than hint at armed revolution as a viable means of political change at this point in the history of this nation is pathetic, weak and below our own standards of patriotic behavior. I shall not waver in the future.

Thank you for the reminder that we must implore everyone to find peaceful means of making progress, to listen respectfully to the views of responsible citizens and to make it our daily goal to bring greater power and liberty to all the people of this nation.

Joe(reawakened)Nation
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:41 am
@Joe Nation,
That's just ignorant.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:42 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
And I think the lessons to be learned from this are: guns don't make you safe, and ambushes work.
Thay don 't if u leave them at HOME,
as the Congresswoman and the judge apparently DID; poor decision.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:45 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
david won't be happy unless we all are having shoot outs like a modern day OK Corral. May the one with the most deadly weapon win on all our street corners and front porches.
That 's a foolish thing to say.

Suppose I say something equally dum about u.

David