House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

JTT

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:30 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Another neighbor directly across from the home also did not want to give his name, but said a mother, son and father live at the house.

"They weren't real friendly," said the neighbor who described himself as 60 and retired. They mostly didn't talk to anyone and mainly stayed inside. "Loners," he called them.

That oughta make it pretty damn hard for anyone to figure out who this guy is.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:32 pm
And should anyone want to switch sole blame to Republican operatives,pundits and personalities:

Quote:
“They need to deftly pin this on the tea partiers,” said the Democrat. “Just like the Clinton White House deftly pinned the Oklahoma City bombing on the militia and anti-government people.”

Source

Quote:
President Clinton reconnected with Oklahoma. And the President right now he seems removed. And it wasn’t until that speech that he really clicked with the American people. Obama needs a similar kind of (event like the Ok City bombing), yeah.

Dem Pollster Mark Penn

Source

Quote:
“I mean right now, I could kill George Bush , no problem. No, I don’t mean that. I mean — how could you nonviolently kill somebody? I would love to be able to do that .”

On July 11, 2007, Nobel Peace Prize laureate Betty Williams gave the keynote speech to the International Women’s Peace Conference in Dallas, Texas, and said (to laughter and applause from the audience)

KEITH OLBERMANN

In 2007, Olbermann called rival network Fox News “worse than al-Qaeda . . . for our society” and said the channel was “as dangerous as the Ku Klux Klan ever was.” He referred to Gen. David Petraeus as “betray us.”

“Mr. Bush, at long last, has it not dawned on you that the America you have now created includes ‘cold-blooded killers who will kill people to achieve their political objectives’?” demanded Olbermann. “They are those in, or formerly in, your employ, who may yet be charged some day with war crimes.”

In 2009, he said that deprived of “the total mindless, morally bankrupt, knee-jerk, fascistic hatred,” Michelle Malkin would be “a big mashed-up bag of meat with lipstick on it.”

During the 2010 special Senate election in Massachusetts, Olbermann infamously said, “In Scott Brown we have an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex–nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against women and against politicians with whom he disagrees.”

Quote:
Let’s just throw Ledeen against a wall. Or, pace Dr. Alterman, throw him through a plate glass window. I’ll bet a little spot of violence would shut him right the **** up, as with most bullies.

Spencer Ackerman - The New Republic, and Wired

Quote:
******* Nascar retards…

Eric Alterman, Author, What Liberal Media?

Ackerman and Alterman Source

Quote:
Sarah Spitz, producer* of the KCRW public radio program “Left, Right and Center,” which is heard on a number of NPR stations across the country, wrote on JournoList that if she witnessed Limbaugh dying of a heart attack, she would “laugh loudly like a maniac and watch his eyes bug out.”

Source

MIKE MALLOY - syndicated liberal talk show host

Proving that liberal talk radio still has new frontiers of bad taste to explore, syndicated host Mike Malloy has openly called for FOX News Channel host Glenn Beck to commit suicide, something he hopes will occur live and on the air.

Heard during yesterday's Malloy program, it's the second time in a week that the former WLS/ Chicago talker has called for the death of one of his political opponents. Earlier, he said he hoped Rush Limbaugh would "choke to death".

SOURCE

"Drudge? Aw, Drudge, somebody ought to wrap a strong Republican entrail around his neck and hoist him up about six feet in the air and watch him bounce."

“Do you not understand that the people you hold up as heroes bombed your goddamn country? Do you not understand that Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly are as complicit of the September 11, 2001 terror attack as any one of the dumbass 15 who came from Saudi Arabia?”

Quote:
“So, Michele (Bachman), slit your wrist! Go ahead! I mean, you know, why not? I mean, if you want to — or, you know, do us all a better thing. Move that knife up about two feet. I mean, start right at the collarbone.”

- Montel Williams

Quote:
I’m always up for a figurative orgy of conservative pundit-bashing, but this Playboy piece is after something a bit more literal. Author Guy Cimbalo counts down the top 10 most fuckable conservatives, from Michelle Malkin to Laura Ingraham -- though don't worry, he hates them, too. Cimbalo managed to get one or two guilty smiles out of me...

Gabriel Winant at Salon on Playboy article on "Hate-*******" conservative women

SOURCE

Quote:
"A spoiled child (Bush) is telling us our Social Security isn’t safe anymore, so he is going to fix it for us. Well, here’s your answer, you ungrateful whelp: [audio sound of 4 gunshots being fired.] Just try it, you little b*stard. [audio of gun being cocked]."

— A "humor bit" from the Randi Rhodes Show

Quote:
"..And then there’s Rumsfeld who said of Iraq ‘We have our good days and our bad days.’ We should put this S.O.B. up against a wall and say ‘This is one of our bad days’ and pull the trigger."

— From a fundraising ad put out by the St. Petersburg Democratic Club

Quote:
"F*** God D*mned Joe the God D*mned Motherf*cking plumber! I want Motherf*cking Joe the plumber dead."

— Liberal talk show host Charles Karel Bouley on the air.

Quote:
"Republicans don’t believe in the imagination, partly because so few of them have one, but mostly because it gets in the way of their chosen work, which is to destroy the human race and the planet. Human beings, who have imaginations, can see a recipe for disaster in the making; Republicans, whose goal in life is to profit from disaster and who don’t give a hoot about human beings, either can’t or won’t. Which is why I personally think they should be exterminated before they cause any more harm."

— The Village Voice’s Michael Feingold

Quote:
"You guys see Live and Let Die, the great Bond film with Yaphet Kotto as the bad guy, Mr. Big? In the end they jam a big CO2 pellet in his face and he blew up. I have to tell you, Rush Limbaugh is looking more and more like Mr. Big, and at some point somebody’s going to jam a CO2 pellet into his head and he’s going to explode like a giant blimp. That day may come. Not yet. But we’ll be there to watch. I think he’s Mr. Big, I think Yaphet Kotto. Are you watching, Rush?"

— Chris Matthews

Quote:
"I have zero doubt that if Dick Cheney was not in power, people wouldn’t be dying needlessly tomorrow….I’m just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. That’s a fact."

— Bill Maher

Quote:
"If I got (Condi Rice) a— on camera, I would put my Mars Air Jordans so far up her butt that the Mayo Clinic would have to remove them."

— Spike Lee

Quote:
"For those of you who do, as a matter of principle, oppose war in any form, the idea of supporting a conscientious objector who’s already been inducted [and] in his combat service in Iraq might have a certain appeal. But let me ask you this: Would you render the same support to someone who hadn’t conscientiously objected, but rather instead rolled a grenade under their line officer in order to neutralize the combat capacity of their unit?"

— University Professor Ward Churhill on supporting soldiers who frag their officers

Quote:
"I know how the ‘tea party’ people feel, the anger, venom and bile that many of them showed during the recent House vote on health-care reform. I know because I want to spit on them, take one of their ‘Obama Plan White Slavery’ signs and knock every racist and homophobic tooth out of their Cro-Magnon heads."

— The Washington Post’s Courtland Milloy

Quote:
"I hope his wife feeds him (Justice Clarence Thomas) lots of eggs and butter and he dies early like many black men do, of heart disease,"

Julianne Malveaux, a radio host and USA Today columnist

Quote:
During the flap over General Jerry Boykin's views of Islam and the war on terrorism, "I hope he's not long for this world."

Nina Totenberg

Quote:
"I think he ought to be worried about what's going on in the Good Lord's mind," she said of Senator Jesse Helms in 1995, "because if there is retributive justice, he'll get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will."

Nina Totenberg

Quote:
For hypocrisy, for sheer gall, [Newt] Gingrich should be hanged

Washington Post syndicated columnist Richard Cohen:

Quote:
f we were in other countries, we would all right now, all of us together, all of us together would go down to Washington and we would stone Henry Hyde to death! We would stone him to death! [crowd cheers] Wait! Shut up! Shut up! No shut up! I’m not finished. We would stone Henry Hyde to death and we would go to their homes and we’d kill their wives and their children. We would kill their families

Actor Alec Baldwin on Conan O’Brien:

Quote:
Shoot him with a .44 caliber Bulldog.

Director Spike Lee on Charlton Heston:

Quote:
There is a sound case to be made for dropping a tactical nuclear weapon on the Cuban section of Miami. The move would be applauded heartily by most Americans. Alas, Operation Good Riddance would require the sort of mature political courage sadly lacking in Washington, D.C., these days.

Syndicated columnist Alexander Cockburn:

Quote:
My plan? Get close enough to Bauer to give him the flu, which, if I am successful, will lay him flat just before the New Hampshire primary. I’ll go to Bauer’s campaign office and cough on everything. Phones and pens. Staplers and staffers. I even hatch a plan to infect the candidate himself; I’ll keep a pen in my mouth until Bauer drops by his offices to rally the troops. And when he does, I’ll approach him and ask for his autograph, handing him the pen from my flu-virus-incubating mouth.

Columnist, author, media pundit, journalist, and newspaper editor Dan Savage:

Quote:
John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr. — where are you now that we need you?

British pundit Charlie Brooker, during the presidency of George W. Bush:

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Huh. So this all happened in a vacuum. Right.
There no basis for thinking that the current political rhetoric had anything to do with these murders except that the prime TARGET was a politician and that the shooter was demonstrably opposed to said politician, her positions and the positions of her party. Just dumb luck that he chose her instead of some other political figure, for example, any other US Representative in the State of Arizona and nothing any member of the Republican Party ever said in public had any effect on his motivation at all.
Right?
Joe(no dots to connect here, please move along)Nation

So you and Cyclo now subscribe to the theory that correlation proves causation.

While you're at it, correlate this with the shootings:

Quote:
Another former high school classmate said that Mr. Loughner may have met Representative Giffords, who was shot in the head outside the Safeway supermarket, several years ago. (Before Palin "targeted" Giffords)

“As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal. & oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy,” the former classmate, Caitie Parker, wrote in a series of Twitter feeds Saturday. “I haven’t seen him since ’07 though. He became very reclusive.”

“He was a political radical & met Giffords once before in ’07, asked her a question & he told me she was ‘stupid & unintelligent,’ ” she wrote.

Source
parados

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Damn those humor bits. Next thing you know you will be attacking Rush Limbaugh for a calling Chelsea a dog. Oh.. he didn't claim it was "humor".
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
In high school, Jared Lee Loughner was a saxophone player at football games.

I've seen those uniforms they have to wear. That's enough to make anyone crazy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:42 pm
Or this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4YFhK87NXPE/TSnsY2dmrvI/AAAAAAAAEPM/TjOsC7N5eYk/s1600/DailyKOS.png
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:43 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

Damn those humor bits. Next thing you know you will be attacking Rush Limbaugh for a calling Chelsea a dog. Oh.. he didn't claim it was "humor".

Is this really all you have?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What exactly does that have to do with anything? Are you just going to throw up every little thing that you think could even be tangentially related?

This is what I mean when I referred to the right-wing over-defensiveness earlier. If you truly believed there was no merit to left-wing criticisms you wouldn't even bother. Instead you seek to defend by showing equivalence. But I doubt anyone here finds random lists of quotes of Democrats to be compelling at all.

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I love the inclusion of Spike Lee.

subtle...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:57 pm
Hah, this sums up the right-wing rhetoric right now perfectly -

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/223192737.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1294697625&Signature=S1D2atJpHzKxllZ17qh558ucdZ8%3D

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:05 pm
Perhaps tangential, but I read that the 9 year old was born on 9/11/01. Now, this doesn't mean anything unto itself in terms of the crime. What it did mean to me was a great sadness that the only world this child ever knew (and ever would), was a nation in war(s). I'm incredibly saddened by how we never offered her a better world in her short life.

As for the shooting. I'm not concerned with the motive. People who shoot people in the face are ******* crazy, and I'm not interested in their justification. If it's politics, whatever.

It shouldn't take a shooting to curb the hysteria on the political stage. We are bitterly divided, and this kind of thing only compounds the paranoia amongst neighbors.

Side story - I went to a shooting range with my coworkers today. It was a team bonding thing. We had made these plans a week in advance prior to this. While in the building, I listened to a number of conversations. The AZ shooting being a very public current event, it was pretty much the only thing I heard about. I heard a lot of talk about what this would mean in terms of owning guns etc etc etc. I heard not a damn word about the victims.

A
R
T
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn said
Quote:
"So you and Cyclo now subscribe to the theory that correlation proves causation."

No.
I can't speak for Cyclo but I now see that this assassination attempt and the other murders weren't caused by anything. Not anything anybody said or did or published, just the insane lone wolf act by the individual. The average casual observer might see it differently but, you know, you and Robert have convinced me.

Quote:
“As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal. & oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy,”

Right. Sounds like all those people at the New York Times, Caitie.

Joe(I remain obsessed with the 2012 prophecy)Nation

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:36 pm
Now let's make the huge leap, that so many on this thread seem to have the legs for, and identfy the consequences of Liberal hate speech:

POLICE: BUSH BASHER SMASHES DISABLED TEEN

Liberal Terror Attack on 2008 GOP Convention Thwarted

Vandals defaced the Calvary Chapel in Chino Hills, Calif., because church members had collected Prop. 8 petitions.

Quote:
Mr. Haas walked on, his pink shirt a burst of color on a slate-gray afternoon. The words came haltingly. "You have to understand,” he said, “there are kids involved, there have been death threats. ..." His voice trailed off. It looked as if he was fighting back tears.

BUT HE WAS A FAT CAT EXECUTIVE AND SO HIS KIDS DESERVED BEING CURSED AND THREATENED

Gainsville, Fla., Democrat David P. McCally was charged with battery after he allegedly barged into a local GOP office, assaulted a cardboard cutout of President Bush, and punched a local Republican chairman in September 2004. (Credit: Alachua County Jail.)

MUGSHOT

Howard County, Md., police arrested Peter Lizon, left, and Stephanie Louise Lizon in October 2004 and charged them with malicious destruction of property. Mr. Lizon allegedly destroyed Bush-Cheney signs with a bayonet. His wife allegedly acted as the lookout. (Credit: Howard County Police.)

MUGSHOT

Nathan Winkler of Tampa, Fla., was arrested and charged with aggravated stalking in March 2005 for allegedly terrorizing a mother who had a Bush-Cheney bumper sticker on her car. Click on the video here to listen to an excerpt of the mother’s frantic call to 911. Winkler reportedly had a handmade sign in his window that read, “Never forget Bush’s illegal oil war murdered thousands in Iraq.” (Credit: Tampa Police Department.)

MUGSHOT

Florida Democrat Barry Seltzer allegedly tried to run down congresswoman Katherine Harris with his Cadillac as she was campaigning in Sarasota, Fla., in October 2004. See the arrest report here. (Credit: Sarasota Police Department via The Smoking Gun.)

MUGSHOT

Sowande Ajumoke Omokunde, son of congresswoman Gwen Moore (D-Milwaukee), was one of five paid Kerry campaign workers in Milwaukee who allegedly slashed the tires of 20 vans that had been rented by Wisconsin Republicans as part of their Election Day 2004 get-out-the-vote effort. (Credit: Milwaukee County Police.)

MUGSHOT

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/ZZ3B4D2244.jpg

December 2009 – Palin-hater Jeremy Olson arrested for attempted assault and disorderly conduct after hurling two tomatoes at the Alaska governor from a second-floor mall balcony in Minnesota. He missed and hit a cop. Olson was cheered as a “hero” by Palin-haters.

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ZZ6971D4CA.jpg

March 2009 — Document drop: FBI charges anti-Semitic nutball with threats against GOP Rep. Cantor & family; “…you receive my bullets in your office, remember they will be placed in your heads.”

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ZZ22717A66.jpg

August 2010 — Michael Enright, liberal interfaith film company volunteer, stabbed a Muslim NYC cabbie and faces trial this year. Liberals rushed to hang the entire Right for the crime.

No murders, but hey Lefties ain't Righties afterall...right?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:47 pm
Now I'm sure someone will explain to me how the examples I've cited can never be compared with their right wing counterparts.

http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/wp-content/images2009/imheretokillbush.jpg

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/dope.jpg

http://res.binscorner.com/d/death-threats-against-bush-at-protests-i/125107023669.JPG

http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerkimball/files/2011/01/DCCC-target-map.jpg

http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerkimball/files/2011/01/DCCC-targeted-republican.jpg

http://res.binscorner.com/d/death-threats-against-bush-at-protests-i/125107023722.jpg

http://res.binscorner.com/d/death-threats-against-bush-at-protests-i/125107023947.jpg

http://res.binscorner.com/d/death-threats-against-bush-at-protests-i/125107024023.jpg

http://res.binscorner.com/d/death-threats-against-bush-at-protests-i/125107024036.jpg

On August 4, 2000, when Bush won the Republican nomination (but before he was president), Craig Kilborn on CBS’s The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn ran a graphic of the words “ SNIPERS WANTED ” under George Bush as he gave his acceptance speech.

http://res.binscorner.com/d/death-threats-against-bush-at-protests-i/125107024078.jpg

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/83137110.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19303D83A05122D2369E79C6F9065C2DCA0E30A760B0D811297

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/1apunch.jpg

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/1ajgblood.jpg

This is not about excusing extreme right-wing vitriol. It is about putting it in perspective.

I would love to see a stop to this on both ends of the spectrum, but if you want to continue believing it's only a one sided problem, be my guest.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:53 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
... that the prime TARGET was a politician and that the shooter was demonstrably opposed to said politician, her positions and the positions of her party. ....

Where are you getting this stuff from? I have not found anything about him opposing her positions (so much as just opposing all of the government), just him reportedly deciding she was stupid after encountering her (which is again, nothing special for him, he also ranted about how everyone he met was illiterate).
djjd62

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/1ajgblood.jpg

but really you can't argue with this one
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:11 pm
Robert, what would you consider as valid proof of the partial culpability of hateful, inciteful speech in tragedies such as these? Would someone have to be threatened by name, and then would the shooter have to be a personal acquaintance of the person who did the threatening? It sounds a little flip I know, but seriously, since you keep saying "there's no proof" of a connection between the two, what would you consider as proof?
failures art

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:14 pm
This incident isn't a matter of inflated political rhetoric. It's a psycho, and I could care less for his rationale. I don't think that us erasing the last 5 years of bitter discourse would have prevented this.

The crazy inflamed rhetoric is a problem and should be addressed, but it is not the cause of this. It shouldn't take a crazed gunman to bring this issue up (or at least make people take it seriously for the wrong reasons).

A
R
T
dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
ogres are much scarier than dragons.