House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:09 am
@littlek,
Quote:
There are 6 dead, why are the only ones mentioned the 9-year old girl and the judge?
they did not want to release the names of the deceased to the public until the next of kin had been notified...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:09 am
@realjohnboy,
thank you for bringing a credible argument with you, rjb.

I dunno.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:10 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

dave.

proud to be stupid for most of a century.
Yes; sadly, the stupidity of gun control killed many innocent people
who were foolish enuf to comply with it for most of a century.

Fortunately, that filosofy has been overthrown and discredited by the USSC,
when it set forth the applicable history of our Republic.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:15 am
@realjohnboy,
Rockhead wrote:
I don't think this kid should have been allowed to purchase a hand gun.
realjohnboy wrote:
That is easy to say from our vantage point today, Lougher had a couple of minor skirmishes with the law which resulted in charges that, essentially, were dismissed. He had some issues with the junior college he attended, which were resolved by his removal from the school. He attempted to enlist in the military but was rejected for undisclosed reasons. And, of course, there was all the U-Tube stuff.
The dots were there but were never connected to "prove" that he should have been been denied the ability (by whom?) to buy a gun.
I think there is a similar situation in the VA Tech shootings. Various offices had snippets of information, but those were not (and arguably should not/could not be) shared.
It is tragic that the Va. Tech victims obeyed gun control rules and were unarmed,
as Cho wanted them to be.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:17 am
@Rockhead,
If u bawt a gun store
and a silent customer pays for a gun
and takes it with him, shoud u be responsible for what he does with it?

If your answer is YES,
then my follow up question is:
if u bawt a car dealership . . . .

David
Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
go away dave.

and don't forget your silly arguments, please...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:20 am

Guns used to be sold in hardware stores
along with hammers, nails, n wrenches n axes.
That 's how it shoud be.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:22 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
go away dave.

and don't forget your silly arguments, please...
When U become the boss,
then I 'll begin to take your orders seriously.

Notice how u run away from questions
that u can 't handle, coward.

David
Fido

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Rockhead wrote:
dave, I don't think you are coming off in the fashion you think you are...

it's getting kinda gross now.

remember the alamo...
U mean the anti-freedom side is losing the argument?

David
Actually David; Bearing arms is a traditional obligation of any citizen, and in a democracy each person is responsible for his own defense as well as the defense of the common wealth... It is because we are a class divided society and most people have nothing to defend but their own poverty that bearing arms is thought of as a limited right, or no right at all... We fear each other, and because we have no rights and fight over the crumbs left to us by the rich... The rich have their army, the public police, and the private police who outnumber the public police; and the last thing they really want is an armed population ready to enforce their rights... So what if some mad reactionary give the right the excuse they need to disarm the population??? It is not good reason; but all the excuse they need to do what they want to do anyway...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:33 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

But can we please not turn this into a pro-gun vs anti-gun thread?

The Arizona Republic newspaper reports this morning that Ms Giffords is not in an induced coma.
It also said that the shooter, Loughner, is refusing to talk to police officials, citing 5th amendment protection.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:37 am

The idiocy of the repressionist position:

I 'm supposed to say that "because there have been murders,
therefore, I will throw my guns in the garbage,
saying to the predators of the world (man or beast):
' here I am, nakedly helpless; come and get me.' "

I refuse to do that.
Good citizens carry guns defensively.
That is what the Founders expected and intended.
This is AMERICA: the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

David
JPB

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:43 am
@Ticomaya,
Sorry, Tico, I wasn't trying to single you out but you inferred that the culture in AZ is very contentious - perhaps more so than the rest of the nation. As someone who is there, but not from there, do you see a change in the culture? Do you see it more intensely there than... Kansas, say.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It's just as foolish to credit the tool with mythical properties to save your life like you invariably do. To use your car analogy, you'd be the guy saying that any pedestrian that gets run over by a car "really should have been driving a car, you know."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
It's just as foolish to credit the tool with mythical properties to save your life like you invariably do.
When I acquired my first gun, my muscular strength was not great,
nor was I much of an expert on fighting.
I felt serene, having emergency equipment that I coud use if the need arose.
(It did not arise for many decades.)
In 2005, after surgery, I was too weak even to walk.
I never re-gained 100% of my former strength.
I can walk for relatively shorter distances.
My guns might well lack "mythical properties"
but "that 's all there is and there is no more"
as far as personal defense is concerned.
I don t wanna go the way of Reginald Denny or Kitty Genovese,
who depended on the public to come to her support.
That did not work.

Additionally, I believe that the spirit of the times,
the public spirit, will be more individualistic
and less collectivistic if the citizens are all armed to the teeth.
Thay will tend to de-emfasize government,
keeping it "weak, and starved and inoffensive." (Heinlein)

Robert Gentel wrote:
To use your car analogy, you'd be the guy saying that any pedestrian that gets run over by a car "really should have been driving a car, you know."
I did not mean it in that sense.
I just mean that we shoud all be as well prepared as possible, within reason.
I mean it in the sense that we shoud all buckle our seatbelts
and we shoud all carry spare tires in our trunks, because u never know.
Years can pass between flat tires, but on any given day, u never know.

David
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:16 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

The silly leaps you libs make to prove your point continue to astound me. FYI...here's the Democrat equivalenthttp://www.ndol.org/upload_graphics/BP_0405_heartland1.gif

Shall we leap to similar conclusions about the target graphics and language here?

For what it's worth, Giffords strongly supports 2nd amendment rights...

from her Congressional website..

Quote:
Guns

Congresswoman Giffords signed Amicus Briefs submitted to the Supreme Court in support of rights granted under the Constitution’s Second Amendment regarding the DC and City of Chicago gun bans.
Congresswoman Giffords is a cosponsor of the Veterans Heritage Firearms Act which allows a 90-day amnesty period during which veterans and their family members can register in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record any firearm acquired before October 31, 1968.
She was a cosponsor of the Second Amendment Enforcement Act in the 110th Congress. It would restore Second Amendment rights in the District of Columbia by correcting DC’s law in order to restore the fundamental rights of its citizens under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and thereby enhance public safety.
Congresswoman Giffords spearheaded a letter to Southwest Regional Chief of U.S. Forest Service Gail Kimball on May 12, 2008 expressing concern of decreasing opportunity for recreational shooting on National Forest Service land. It was signed by Congressman Trent Franks and Harry Mitchell.

Really? Are you comparing a map with targets citing states that could be retaken with a map with rifle scope cross hair targets that cites individuals? Really?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:18 am

http://www.rumproast.com/images/uploads/24972_382788178587_24718773587_3651673_4064553_n.jpg

The map indicates to me that SARAHPAC.com did an excellent job of targeting their objectives.

Does targeting the moon equate to "reaching out to the Muslim world"?

http://astroguyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/moon-007.jpg

******* moonbats!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:25 am

For the record:
If it ever develops that I fall victim to criminal gunfire
(as almost happened, while driving my car, in the last century),
I will never recommend that gun control be instituted.

I know that criminals do not care about the law;
only their innocent victims do.

POWER TO THE VICTIMS!!!

David
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:25 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

http://www.rumproast.com/images/uploads/24972_382788178587_24718773587_3651673_4064553_n.jpg

The map indicates to me that SARAHPAC.com did an excellent job of targeting their objectives.

Congratulations are definitely in order. Now they can change it to only 16 left to go. You ******* pig.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:28 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
What do u think of gun laws in North Carolina ?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:36 am
Good afternoon. I concede that I don't watch the Sunday talk shows on tv, most of which will be broadcast from AZ this week. Tough questions are earnestly not asked and then adroitly not answered.
Anyway, I have been following the various written articles this morning (Real Clear Politics which I refer to in my thread about the 2012 Republican nomination race for President is a good source for links).
While everyone seems to acknowledge that the shooter, Loughner, is probably insane, there seems to be a lot of damage control going on regarding the role that the media may play in this type of tragedy.
The top police guy in Tucson, admittedly after a long, bad day, said some things that in my mind he should not have said.
So the role of the media is under scrutiny and I wonder how the talk show hosts will address that next week.
Ant there was this from Red State: "The tea party movement won in November. Winners don't go on shooting sprees."