How do you win a "War On Terror"?

pistoff

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:00 pm
Yeah
Stepping backward is real popular these days. War is such a glorious thing and makes the Commander In Thief a hero. The country with a right wing mag can put soldiers on it's cover and Americans can beam with pride. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:24 am
Adrian wrote:
At the end of WWII Britain faced a huge problem. They had an empire that they couldn't protect. "Terrorist" groups sprang up in Africa and Asia and things started to get ugly. Do you know what they did? They gave the countries involved their independence! It worked too!! Most of those nations are now democratic, fairly peaceful, prosperous and, most importantly, ALLIES of the British.

What a retarded historical analogy.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:26 am
How about an explanation rather than a throwaway comment that makes you look like the retarded one?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:38 pm
Interesting article, whose viewpoint I agree with.War is fun and profitable.
Quote:
Campos: Bullish business of war

December 30, 2003

On Christmas day, a young woman whom I will call Susan Lopez Garcia was scheduled to fly from Philadelphia to Bogata, Colombia, accompanied by her husband, her sister and her parents. Eighteen months earlier, she had legally changed her name by adding her husband's last name to her birth name of Susan Lopez. Her ticket had been issued in her married name, which is also the name on her driver's license; however, her passport is still in her maiden name.

The airline refused to allow her to board the plane. According to the heightened security procedures the airline employs when the nation's terror alert has been raised to "orange," it will not allow someone to board an international flight when the passenger's passport is issued in a different name than the passenger's ticket, even when there is an obviously innocuous explanation for the discrepancy, as there was in this case.

This might all be written off by apologists for our current national hysteria about terrorism as the sort of bureaucratic snafu that is the price of eternal vigilance. Yet there is a curious twist in this little vignette about the high cost of freedom: the airline told Susan she could board the plane, as long as she (or rather, her father) agreed to fork over more than $1,000 for a one-way, walk-up ticket, which would be issued in the name on her passport.

How this proposed transaction would neutralize the security risk she supposedly posed remains a mystery. But it does drive home one of the reasons why the war on terrorism will not end in the foreseeable future: because it's in the interest of too many people that it continue indefinitely. Besides creating occasions for such lucrative procedures as that employed by the airline, the war on terrorism has created an immense bureaucracy that, like all bureaucracies, is dedicating a large part of its resources to justifying its continued existence.

What, for example, justifies a national threat level of "high" as opposed to "elevated," or "guarded" as opposed to "low?" What does it mean for Americans to be at high risk for terrorism? Does it mean that we're facing a risk comparable to that posed to us by automobile accidents? (The average American has about a one-in-240 chance of dying in a car accident). Is terrorism as big a threat to Americans as, say, cigarette smoking? (Smoking kills about 9,000 Americans every week.) Or is a "high" risk of terrorism comparable to the risk we face from mad cow disease, i.e., an almost completely imaginary risk, created by a combination of media hysteria and the international vegan conspiracy?

Our Department of Homeland Security doesn't have answers to such questions. It's only taking orders from our political leaders, who long ago discovered that few things are more conducive to pushing dubious policy objectives than declaring wars that can never end, because they are designed to last forever.

The irony of this is that for a generation now, American foreign policy has been haunted by the ghost of Vietnam - a war that America lost because neither the war's goals nor what would constitute achieving those goals was ever satisfactorily defined. Since then, our political elites have engaged in a series of metaphorical Vietnams against, among other things, poverty, crime, drugs and terrorism.

None of these wars can end, because none of them has been defined in a manner that makes either victory or, as Richard Nixon put it, "peace with honor," achievable. Yet that, as our more sophisticated warmongers no doubt recognize, is precisely the point.

Paul Campos is a professor of law at the University of Colorado. He can be reached at [email protected].
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:58 pm
Good article Hobitbob. This whole thing makes me think of the "war on drugs" we've been "fighting" for the last 80-90 years. When faced with a problem that has no easy solution, just declare war on it!

IronLionZion, what? Why? Oh never mind...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:16 pm
1 week after September 11th 2001, when I went to the gate to get my boarding pass on a Continental Airlines flight and I was asked for a paper ticket. I replied I didn't have one as I had booked online like I have done dozens of times in the past. They had my name, and even my seat assignment, but insisted I pay an additional $100 for a lost ticket. When I began to protest in a laughing tone, I was told; "Sir, you better calm down or you're not getting on the plane at all". I said" I'm perfectly calm, sir, I just don't understand" he cut me off and told me it was my last warning. Needless to say; I gave him the $100 and then called and got it refunded after my trip. I suspect, with due diligence, the lady in that story would have, and probably did, receive a refund as well. Sometimes employees do stupid things that do not necessarily reflect the company rules or the laws of our land. Like the kid that denied the fireman water on Sept. 11th for lack of funds. His boss no doubt reamed him out good for that.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:10 pm
DEMOCRATIC COUNTRIES . . . ?
Adrian wrote:

[quote]At the end of WWII Britain faced a huge problem. They had an empire that they couldn't protect. "Terrorist" groups sprang up in Africa and Asia and things started to get ugly. Do you know what they did? They gave the countries involved their independence! It worked too!! Most of those nations are now democratic, fairly peaceful, prosperous and, most importantly, ALLIES of the British.[/quote]

Isn't there a difficulty fitting Mobutu's Zaire and Mugabe's Zimbawe - and some others - into the above description? India, yes, but what other nations fit the above definition? Myanmar (Burma), Malaysia, Nigeria, . . . Egypt? Not really, do they?
[/color]
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:46 pm
Al Q.
As far as I now there is only one major org that is actively and directly launching strikes against the USA and that is Al Q.

Quote:
Frankly I think that while there have been other goals the main goal has been simply to "get" us.

Here are their stated goals:

The stated grievances of the bin Laden network fit a pattern familiar to students of Islamic activism over the past two centuries. In a fatwa released in February 1998 (and echoed last week by the Taliban), bin Laden and leaders of extremist groups in Egypt, Pakistan and Bangladesh specified that their war was a defensive struggle against Americans and their allies who had declared war "on God, his messenger, and Muslims." The "crimes and sins" perpetrated by the United States were threefold. First, it had "stormed" the Arabian peninsula during the Gulf War and continued "occupying the lands of Islam in the holiest of places" (i.e., Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia); second, it continued a war of annihilation against Iraq; and third, it supported the state of Israel and its continued occupation of Jerusalem.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/comm/oped/hashmi.shtml

Al Qaeda's main goals:
Remove Western influence from Islamic lands. In practice, this means eliminating American military, cultural, and political influence from predominantly Islamic countries in the Middle East and Central Asia.

Destroy governments in Islamic lands that are supported by and linked to the democracies of the U.S. and Western Europe and that have made peace with and recognize the legitimacy of the state of Israel.

Establish orthodox Islamic regimes throughout regions where Muslims are the majority of the population and put into practice the strict tenets of Shari'a law.

http://college.hmco.com/currentconflict/instructors/history/alqaeda.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:30 pm
occam

Back at the beginning, you asked this rhetorical question...
Quote:
Has it occurred to anyone here that rewarding terrorist activity might promote terrorism?

Obviously, your answer to your own question is 'yes'. But there's a few assumptions in here which, though commonly tossed into the air by folks, aren't often much inspected.

Take the notion that one gets more of what one rewards (and less of what one punishes). This is a pretty blunt idea, considered common-sensical to many. It has an expression in psychology as stimulus-response theory, no longer much in favor, as it happens.

But, is it so? Is there clear empirical data you know of to back up the notion? One should think that if the mechanism is sure-fire, then there would be lots of good studies to support it.

And the Israel/Palestine example seems to suggest that such a simple formulation, even if supportable empirically, isn't nearly broad enough to account for all factors, for as you know, 'terrorism' there has remained pretty constant even under a regimen of tit for tat punishment. In that case, would negotiation be 'rewarding'? Would removal of any settlements be exactly the wrong thing to do, acting as a reward?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:57 pm
Yes, but Blatham's statements seem to forget that the ultimate goal of any civilization should be war. War is fun, its good for the economy, and it makes you feel like a real man! Woof-hoorah!
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 09:10 pm
Blunt
The concept that negotiation with an enemy is rewarding the enemy is purely false.

We speak of terrorism and still have not addressed those who are the terrorists, namely Al Q. After many comments I haven't seen one that directly addresses the specific issue.

Can anything be negotiated with Al Q.?
That is the real question.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:50 pm
blatham wrote:
occam

Back at the beginning, you asked this rhetorical question...
Quote:
Has it occurred to anyone here that rewarding terrorist activity might promote terrorism?

Obviously, your answer to your own question is 'yes'. But there's a few assumptions in here which, though commonly tossed into the air by folks, aren't often much inspected.

Take the notion that one gets more of what one rewards (and less of what one punishes). This is a pretty blunt idea, considered common-sensical to many. It has an expression in psychology as stimulus-response theory, no longer much in favor, as it happens.

But, is it so? Is there clear empirical data you know of to back up the notion? One should think that if the mechanism is sure-fire, then there would be lots of good studies to support it.
The question was not as retorical as you think. Well yes and no. The preceeding posts did not seem to be considering the possibility at all. You are correct in assuming I am relying on common sense. After getting shocked by electricity a few times, I learned to have more respect for it. Your request for sure-fire evidence is unreasonable because as you point out below; all situations are different.
blatham wrote:

And the Israel/Palestine example seems to suggest that such a simple formulation, even if supportable empirically, isn't nearly broad enough to account for all factors, for as you know, 'terrorism' there has remained pretty constant even under a regimen of tit for tat punishment. In that case, would negotiation be 'rewarding'? Would removal of any settlements be exactly the wrong thing to do, acting as a reward?

I agree that the Israel/Palestine issue is quite different than say North Korea. Israel and Palestine both have legitmate beefs. Some important distinctions should be made here. Israel sanctions attacks on people who are believed to be attackers themselves. I agree that they are sloppy and care too little about collateral damage. However; this is a far cry from strapping a bomb to your chest and blowing up a crowded cafe filled with only innocent bystanders. Israel should and does receive censure for questionable activities. The terrorists who plotted the cafe attack deserve to be extinguished. I assure you plenty of Israelis weap for innocent Palastine casualties and plenty of palastinians find suicide bombings deplorable. It is the perpetrators of these crimes I wish to dispose of; not the people they claim to represent.
As far as Kim Jong IL is concerned; there can be no justification for the millions upon millions of innocent North Koreans his regime kills. Nor for his unprovoked threats to attack Seoul or Japan over an American Action or decision. This is no different than a hijacker insisting his demands be met or he'll execute hostages. Negotiating with him under those terms is rewarding terrorism. This is the wrong message to send. There is no room on the planet for this type of terrorism, and yes, I firmly believe it should be met with all of the compassion of a fire burning dry hay. I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion, but blatham, can you understand it?

Ps. Bob, your continued meaningless unprovoked insults are making you look childish. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 11:59 pm
Occy, I didn't insult you. I wasn't even thinking of you when I made my last response. Sorry, better luck next time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 05:37 am
Re: Blunt
pistoff wrote:
The concept that negotiation with an enemy is rewarding the enemy is purely false.

I missed this first time around.

You are correct -- and I think this is a very important point.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 07:42 am
Quote:
You are correct in assuming I am relying on common sense. After getting shocked by electricity a few times, I learned to have more respect for it. Your request for sure-fire evidence is unreasonable because as you point out below; all situations are different.
'Common sense' tells us many things which are not true...the sun spins around the earth...blacks are inferior...women are clearly too fragile and hysterical to operate within the polity...time can't just have begun, there must have been a before...etc, a long long list. My request for evidence was entirely valid, as you were suggesting, rhetorically, that we might/ought to apply a principle or axiomatic truth to the issue, thus some evidence that such a principle or truth is actually valid is in order.

Another similar example of a proffered bit of 'common sense' frequently used as rationale for related policies is "Arabs only respect and understand force". Really? How was the truth of this claim established? Some large multi-disciplinary study which places the claim in a different status from, say, "Women have to be knocked around now and again"? And, if Arabs only respect force, it doesn't even seem worth mentioning unless other groups/cultures, such as Americans, are quite different, responding to other inputs such as reason and charity and good will.

As regards Israel/Palestine, you've skipped over the significant point, which is that your rhetorical suggestion looks to be false in this case. "Terrorism" has not been eradicated, or even reduced. Who is morally less excuseable is a different question (and yes, I'm quite aware of the voices inside Israel speaking against Likkud policies and ideas).

As regards N Korea, I too consider it one of the least happy places on earth and it's leader a dangerous madman. But I know doctors who will argue that the American tobacco industry has killed and maimed enough people to place it in a similar moral category.

You speak of 'sending the wrong message'. As almost everyone on this board who hails from outside the US will tell you (and many from inside), America can be surprisingly obtuse regarding not only what messages it is REALLY sending, and the responses likely, but also regarding what it assumes about itself such that it ought to be simply accepted as the proper source of 'messages'.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 10:11 am
Another faulty concept is that to not kill someone is to "reward" them. It's an absurd concept.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 05:01 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
You are correct in assuming I am relying on common sense. After getting shocked by electricity a few times, I learned to have more respect for it. Your request for sure-fire evidence is unreasonable because as you point out below; all situations are different.
'Common sense' tells us many things which are not true...the sun spins around the earth...blacks are inferior...women are clearly too fragile and hysterical to operate within the polity...time can't just have begun, there must have been a before...etc, a long long list. My request for evidence was entirely valid, as you were suggesting, rhetorically, that we might/ought to apply a principle or axiomatic truth to the issue, thus some evidence that such a principle or truth is actually valid is in order.
Please allow me to rephrase... There is no empirical proof I could provide that would be applicable in every situation. I agree in advance that any evidence I could offer; could easily be rebutted, with examples like those you have already made, and I therefore see no gain for either of us, or this discussion with such entries.
As for your list of "common sense" applications that demonstrate ignorance; I'm sure you could just as easily state examples where "common sense" is right on the money. I don't think you mean to suggest that people should ignore what they perceive as common sense altogether. Example; "If you play with fire you might get burned." While there are plenty of situations you could show this little tid-bit of wisdom to be overused and inapplicable, the inherent truth of the statement remains.

blatham wrote:

Another similar example of a proffered bit of 'common sense' frequently used as rationale for related policies is "Arabs only respect and understand force". Really? How was the truth of this claim established? Some large multi-disciplinary study which places the claim in a different status from, say, "Women have to be knocked around now and again"? And, if Arabs only respect force, it doesn't even seem worth mentioning unless other groups/cultures, such as Americans, are quite different, responding to other inputs such as reason and charity and good will.
I don't believe I have ever posted any prejudicial comments like those listed. Even if you could find a place where I did; I would immediately retract the statement and admit that it was wrong. If taken in context to the discussion, my assertion means simply: fulfilling terrorist demands is the wrong way to reduce terrorism. There are many good reasons why Israel could be persuaded to remove settlements on the Gaza Strip. Curbing barbaric criminal activity should not be one of them. I do not believe terrorists (let alone your average Arabs) are mindless hateful creatures that live to hate. I believe they are highly motivated truly desperate people. The appalling strategy of murdering innocent people to draw attention to their struggle remains inexcusable, regardless of their motivations. My belief that the perpetrators of these actions should be executed; never takes into consideration their motives. These actions can not be justified, even if their motivation is just.

blatham wrote:

As regards Israel/Palestine, you've skipped over the significant point, which is that your rhetorical suggestion looks to be false in this case. "Terrorism" has not been eradicated, or even reduced. Who is morally less excuseable is a different question (and yes, I'm quite aware of the voices inside Israel speaking against Likkud policies and ideas).

As regards N Korea, I too consider it one of the least happy places on earth and it's leader a dangerous madman. But I know doctors who will argue that the American tobacco industry has killed and maimed enough people to place it in a similar moral category.

There is no way to accurately measure the effect/side affect of Israel's counter attacks on Palestinian terrorists. Perhaps the suicide attacks have increased as a direct resultÂ…Perhaps they have decreased. We can not know for sure, so debating the matter is futile.
Smoking is a stupid thing to do (and I'm guilty of being stupid in this case). The American Tobacco Industry doesn't force me to do so. It doesn't sound like we disagree much about North Korea anyway.

blatham wrote:

You speak of 'sending the wrong message'. As almost everyone on this board who hails from outside the US will tell you (and many from inside), America can be surprisingly obtuse regarding not only what messages it is REALLY sending, and the responses likely, but also regarding what it assumes about itself such that it ought to be simply accepted as the proper source of 'messages'.

Let me clarify that the message I am referring to is From: a superior force To: a heinous criminal element. Before anyone goes off on me; let me further clarify:
1) I do not believe "might" makes "right". I was raised from birth to use my "might" only in defense of "right" causes. The superiority or lack thereof of my "might" is only considered in terms of assessing potential consequences; never in accessing the rightness of my actions.
2) I do not consider the United States the embodiment of morality. A cursory glance at history and current affairs clearly demonstrates the falseness of such a belief. Don't bother pointing out the hundreds of issues the United States have been and are on the wrong side of, because I concede this in advance.
3) I believe the United States has the most superior military force on earth. It is the ability that comes with this force that mandates we interfere with murderous elements; not a moral high ground. I believe that the leaders of most countries recognize the injustice in countries like North Korea. Countries that lack the military capability to interfere should not be blamed for a lack of interference. I believe the degree of responsibility to protect your fellow man increases with your ability to do so. Similarly; I believe the United States has more responsibility to fight world hunger than other nations. Again; not because we are morally superior; simply because we have an abundance of resources to do so.
4) I am probably just as ashamed of the United State's frequent positioning on the wrong side of right, as the majority of you that disagree with my positions.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 01:12 am
Adrian wrote:
IronLionZion, what? Why? Oh never mind...

Sorry, on second thought, perhaps I was a bit over-the-top.

I disagree with the way you lump the 'terrorist' nationalist movements in post-WWII Asia and Africa with modern Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists. It seems that odd historical connections are being thrown around often. However, in most cases there are no real similarites between the groups being discussed except at a level so broad that it removes all meaning.

Earlier you wrote:

Quote:
At the end of WWII Britain faced a huge problem. They had an empire that they couldn't protect. "Terrorist" groups sprang up in Africa and Asia and things started to get ugly. Do you know what they did? They gave the countries involved their independence! It worked too!! Most of those nations are now democratic, fairly peaceful, prosperous and, most importantly, ALLIES of the British.

Most of these were guerilla movements, who may have, at one time or another, employed tactics used by terrorists. They were nationalist movements - whose main goal was to create thier own government. So they had a clear goal and a simple demand. The British had an easy way out- give them thier independence and the 'terrorism' would end.

Al-Qaida, and the other Middle Eastern terrorists, are religious fundamentalist movements. They will accept nothing short of the complete removal of every form of American influence on Muslim soil. America is not an occupying force that can simply withdraw to end the conflict. Furthermore, these fundamentalist movements are borne out of deep historical misgivings that are unlikly to disappear no matter what America does, while on the other hand, the nationalist movements you cited were a reaction to an immediate threat. Your comparison is moot.

The word 'terrorist' is being used far, far too broadly by most people here. There are important distinctions between different terrorist groups and lumping them all together makes us blind to those important distinctions.

Quote:
When people gather in groups to fight against something there is usually a good reason. If you don't talk to them and find out what it is, or if you do, but discount what they have to say, you won't get very far. When you go out and declare "war" on these people you are taking a BIG backwards step.

I agree with your basic sentiment here. Americans need to realize that Muslim terrorists are only the tip of a very big ice-burg; they are the most extreme form of a feeling that pervades every level of Middle Eastern society. Americans need to ask themselves why an entire religious and cultural cross-section of the world hates them so much that they are willing to crash air-liners into buildings. I can assure you that the answer isn't anything as convenient and galvininizing as "they hate us for our freedom."
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 01:13 am
The Debate
Bill, to clear things up: I was not referring to myself in the comment about debating with you. I am not comparing my level of IQ with yours. No need for me to do so. I don't consider my as an intellectual. I was referring to the back and forth bewtween you and a few other people here.

I would like to discuss what I have been advancing a few times. A specific discussion about the terrorist group that has attacked the USA, Al Q.

What could the USA do about them that is not being done, preferably non-violent methods?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:46 am
Re: The Debate
pistoff wrote:
What could the USA do about them that is not being done, preferably non-violent methods?

We have to recognize that many of the issues championed by terrorists are legitimate issues that are worthy of examination. For example, American support for oppressive and unpopular regimes, America's role in the Isreal-Palestine conflict, an American military presence in the Middle East, and American attempts to force economic and political values on Middle Easterners.

However, we must also recognize that these terrorist movements themselves are fundamentally irrational - they make claims that are not true and demands that are impossible to meet. For example, accusations of a global Jewish conspiracy, assertions that America is attempting to destroy Islam, a centuries old war between good (Islam, 'The Abode of Peace') and evil (Western civilization, 'The House of War.') Likewise, many of the demands they make are simply impossible to meet - establishment of a pan-Arabic non-secular Islamic fundamentalist state, the complete withdrawal of all non-Islamic influence in Muslim regions, and in many cases, the destruction of Western civilization itself, etc.

It is not correct to look at these movements (ie- Al-Qaida) as being organizations that can be dealt with by responding to thier immediate demands. They are organizations based on historical grievances more than anything else - I cannot stress this enough. We cannot look at them in the context of the last 10 years, or even the last 100, or 500 years. They can only be properly understood in the context of a conflict between Islam and the West that has been raging for over a thousand years - a conflict in which Islam was winning until the failed siege of Vienna in 1683. At various times it has taken various forms - but it has bever truly gone away. Islamic terrorism is the latest embodiment of that conflict. Therefore, no matter what the American government does, we cannot expect this terrorism to end. The best we can hope for is a marked decrease. We cannot 'win' the war; we must accept this fact.

Now, having said all of that, I think there are a few concrete changes we make:

1. Support the creation of a Palestinian state and prevent, by use of anything other than military force, the construction of the wall that is being built by the Isrealis. This will rob terrorists of thier most favored complaint and make a bold statement to the Arabic masses like no other policy change could.

2. Withdraw all permanant military bases in Saudi Arabia.

3. Internationalize the reconstruction of Iraq, drawing not only from the United Nations, but from other Arabic nations.

4. A common and legitimate complaint is American complicity with tyrannical and unpopular regimes. Responding to this complaint is a very tricky and complicated endeavor. I can elaborate further if anybody is interested in my opinion on this particular issue.

5.Incorperate Turkey into the European Union. This would achieve multiple aims. First, it would have tremendous symbolic value to the Arabic people. Second, it would foster co-operation between Islamic civilization in general and the West - for the first time nations on both sides would have a stake in the prosperity of each other. Third, the failure of modernity in general is a important but indirect cause of the current terrorism; allowing Turkey into the EU would vindicate thier struggle to modernize and prove that a modern, successfull, prosperous, and secular Islamic society is possible. Fourth, Turkey is the only secular democratic Muslim country in the Middle East, and accepting them would show other Islamic nations the benifits of democracy and secularism.

6. On the practical level: crack down on the charities that are funding much of the terrorism. Especially the Saudi charities.
0 Replies