How do you win a "War On Terror"?

McGentrix

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:56 am
hobitbob wrote:
Quote:
You only address things you disagree with and these you attack with a vengeance.

This is called debate. As I mentioned elsewhere, should I agree with you, I will mention it. I agreed with Mcgentrix on another thread. It is possible, just unlikely. Wink

Shocked the heck outta me too! :wink:
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:58 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
If they had any real desire to avoid "collateral damage" they wouldn't use those sort of munitions.

You obviously don't even try to get it. We used a great number of tomahawk missiles to pinpoint our strikes as well as is technologically possible, to avoid collateral damage.

The number of civillian casualties that these strikes engender leads one to question your assertion.

Quote:
Most every other military force on earth would have used a whole lot of "dumb" bombs, at a tiny fraction of the price, to get the job done.

As happened in Afghanistan two weeks ago. The US used 500 pound "dumb" bombs.

Quote:
You are so set in your beliefs, that you ignore facts to make your points.

You are entitled to your opinion. I think the situation is quite the opposite, whne our comments are compared, however.

Quote:
It makes it rather pointless to debate with you.

The key to debate is to accept that the other person may not agree with you. If you are unwilling to accept this then yes, debate is pretty pointless.

Quote:
It is a real shame too, because I believe you could probably teach me much if you weren't so hell-bent on backing your incorrect statements.

What an interesting comment. It does sort of represent the difference in our views. I don't see this forum as a "contest" to "win and lose." You seem to. That's kind of sad.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:05 pm
hobitbob wrote:
In Israel a similar situation is in place. Imagine yourself to be a moderate Palestinian, who often makes it to work or school only one or tweo days a week, because of the neccessity of passing through multiple "checkpoints" set up by an occupying government. Often your power or water are turned off with no notice, and the occupying government frequently bombs your neighborhood, killing tens of people at a time. Would you not wish to fight back ? Would you not become radicalized?

No, I would not. I would find out who theye are targeting and move my family away from them. If that wasn't possible, I provide information to the authorities about their locations as they are endangering my family. I would get my friends together and tell those people that they are destroying what they are trying to save and that they should leave my neighborhood. Then, when my family found my body I would hope they would provide me with a proper burial.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:12 pm
McGentrix wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
In Israel a similar situation is in place. Imagine yourself to be a moderate Palestinian, who often makes it to work or school only one or tweo days a week, because of the neccessity of passing through multiple "checkpoints" set up by an occupying government. Often your power or water are turned off with no notice, and the occupying government frequently bombs your neighborhood, killing tens of people at a time. Would you not wish to fight back ? Would you not become radicalized?

No, I would not. I would find out who theye are targeting and move my family away from them.

Sorry... you are only allowed to live in the area you already live in. Which leads to....

Quote:
If that wasn't possible, I provide information to the authorities about their locations as they are endangering my family.

At which point you are likely to be targeted by the local resistance.

Quote:
I would get my friends together and tell those people that they are destroying what they are trying to save and that they should leave my neighborhood.

Youa re kidnapped, tortured, and you and your family killed....

Quote:
Then, when my family found my body I would hope they would provide me with a proper burial.

At which point your other relatives and friends are likely to join the resistance, and scorn your memory as a collaborator. It doesn't make the system right, but it does illustrate that there needs to be change. This goes back to the comments earlier about attempting to correct problems that occur in failed states. As a liberal pinko girly-man lefty, I think that preventing terrorism might be a better idea than "fighting" it later. But hey....its hard to make a movie out of feeding people and treating their diseases. Who wants to watch Seagal teaching first graders? Confused
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:21 pm
You don't know my family. They are a bunch of gun totin' hillbillies. They would join the Israeli's and hunt down everyone of the f'ers...

But, that's neither here nor there.

I think maybe you are greying the line between ideaology and reality. While it would be great if there was no terror and that everything was nice and happy and fuzzy bunnies were safe everywhere, that's simply not the case. In real life their are bad guys and worse guys. You just need to decide which side you want to be on.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 05:00 pm
Is is possible?
I have tried to steer the discusion to a specific situation. I posted the agenda of Al Q. Is it possible to focus on that?

There is no point in the back and forth of "Good guys vs bad guys".

Solutions other than what Dubya and gang are practicing?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 05:15 pm
Re: Is is possible?
pistoff wrote:
I have tried to steer the discusion to a specific situation. I posted the agenda of Al Q. Is it possible to focus on that?

There is no point in the back and forth of "Good guys vs bad guys".

Solutions other than what Dubya and gang are practicing?

Pist, it is not possible on an open forum to direct conversation. The exchange of ideas is valuable. I may not agree with anything Bill or McGEntrix says, but their opinions are of value precisely because I disagree with them. They think differently from the way that I do. Many on the far left display the same refusal to entertain the opposition's viewpoint as those on the far right. Either side would be happy with the abolishment of opposing views. I don't think that requests to cease certain lines of discussion are helpful. If you feel that strongly about it, why not contact the moderator team and ask them to steer discussion? It is not the place or duty of those of us who are not moderators to determine who should be allowed to say what on this (private) forum.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:45 pm
No demands.
It was a request. I am asking that people who are interested in the topic to focus more specifically on a real situation. Of course, it is their right to discuss however and whatever the feel like doing.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:43 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Pistoff- I agree with Occam Bill. Are we debating the issues, or do you want this thread to be a "mutual admiration society?" Rolling Eyes

I think the Moderator has already responded to your unreasonable request. When I didn't care for the direction of the discussion, I simply left. Get over it pistoff. Nice job hobitbob. You did make a point I agree with... LOL
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:05 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Come on Wilso, surely you see a distinction between collateral damage and intentionally targeting innocents. It is a crying shame, but not terrorism.

I'm sure those suffering from the collateral damage would disagree. The deliberate use of cluster bombs in civilian areas, which WAS done by the US during the war, IS against international law and IS a war crime. George W Bush IS a war criminal, and the use of terms like collateral damage is a putrid ******* cop-out. No matter which way you slice it, it's terrorism, pure and simple.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:59 pm
The War on Terror is better described as a war on a feeling. The sooner we realize this, the better off we will all be.

Launching a military campaign against terrorism presupposes that terrorists can be identified, killed or captured, and thus, the problem will be solved. However, anybody with a basic knowledge of the Middle Eastern knows that this is far from reality.

The reality is that there is a general resentment towards the West that pervades every level of Middle Eastern society - terrorists are only the most extreme form of this resentment. This feeling of resentment is motivated by what Middle Easterners consider legitimate grievances against the West. Generally speaking, they see the West, and America in particular, as a hegemon running amok, dominating them economically and politically, and humilating them at every turn.

We cannot look at the Middle East as being clearly divided between a minority of terrorists and a majority of peace loving moderates. It is better to look at it as a gradient with terrorists being at the most extreme end. Every time we do something like, say, the invade Iraq, we are pushing more people towards extremism.

By launching a unilateral invasion of Iraq we are only feeding the feeling that led to terrorism in the first place and lending credence and legitimacy to those views. The extremists and fundamentalists have been preaching for years that America is a hegemon running amok, and in the eyes of many Middle Easterners, we have just proven them correct.

We have to recognize that the terrorism - and the larger anti-American fundamentalist movement it represents - is not senseless. Middle Easterners look at history and see a pattern of Western aggression that continues to this day. Whether they are right or wrong in this belief is irrelevent. The point is: the terrorists are not senseless evil-doers, they are simply acting on what they consider to be legitimate grievances with the West - grievances that we reinforce every time we bomb Iraq.

So, we are not fighting a group of people, we are really fighting a feeling. The War is for the hearts and minds of the Midde Eastern people, as cliche as it sounds. Even if we are successfull in creating a stable democracy in Iraq - we will have won the battle but we have lost the war.

As Lewis Lapham said "the war on terror is a war on a feeling and an abstract noun. Like an Arab Jihad against capitalism, the it cannot be won, not does it ever end. We might as well send the army to conquor lust or annihlate greed."

I do not oppose all miltary actions in the name of the war on terror. However, I think we need to be much more aware of the factors that contributed to terrorism in the first place. We have to understand that barging into the region waging wars and making threats is not condusive to our ultimate goal.

We have to recognize that a war on terrorism can never be definitivly won (at least not in the forseeable future.) We can, however, take steps to minize terrorism. The correct approach is a combination of restrained military action and a sustained effort to combat anti-Americanism in the Middle East through peacefull means - like policy changes.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:26 am
ILZ's post points out a common, but important fallacy that is at the heart of this "war on terror." How many times did he use the phrase "middle eastern?' How many in the US see terorism as a purely middle eastern phenomenon? This is a false asumption. terrorist groups exist in the US (Armies of God, Aryan nations, KKK), the UK (IRA), and the rest of the world.

Quote:
think we need to be much more aware of the factors that contributed to terrorism in the first place. We have to understand that barging into the region waging wars and making threats is not condusive to our ultimate goal.

Which terrorist groups are we willing to eliminate? Which are we wiling to let exist? Why have we not begun with domestic groups? More importantly, why have we, as a nation, allowed our leaders to get away with this false definition of "war" and "terror?"
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:29 am
Jim wrote:
I'd like to start off by writing how NOT to win the war on terror:

- you don't surrender.
- you don't give in to their demands.

Please note that by 'don't surrender' he means 'military action is the only solution - anything less is giving up'

Also note that by 'give in to thier demands' he means 'avoid acknowledging that your foriegn policy is has contributed to the anti-Americanism in that region.'

Quote:
With respect to the IRA, I recall Prime Minister Thatcher saying "You can either give in to the terrorists, or you can kill them." I believe that position has stood the test of time.

To say that wars against terror cannot be won ignores the historical record. The Romans had it down to a science. Using only slightly less unpalatable tactics, we defeated the terrorist Hitler 60 years ago. The only question, as I see it, is do we believe Western Civilization is worth defending?

Again - this doesn't compute. You make it seem as if a) terrorism is a realistic threat to all of Western civilization, b) Hitler was a terrorist. I'm not fond of ridiculous historical equivalences.

Quote:
I like to conclude with a text from Dr. Michael Grant from the book "The Collapse and Recovery of the Roman Empire", pages 67-68. This was published in 1999:

"Dare one, also, link up this theme with modern affairs, as possibly relevant to some of our own predicaments? Certainly the Roman Empire had very different boundaries from our own western world - which does not terminate at the Rhine, but much further east and north - and it is more than doubtful whether we can ever extend the western world as far to the south-east as the Romans did. Nevertheless, the Roman imperial phenomenon does ring a bell, because it does contain points of relevance to what is happening today, or rather to what will be happening before long. For what is likely to be happening is a confrontation between the western world and those outside it. It also attacked the Roman empire, which was nearly destroyed (3rd century) but not quite. It was saved because of its superior organisation. This meant that, in the end, it was able to overcome the enemies who had seemed so extremely likely to demolish it. The price was terrible; and so will be the price today. But the point at issue is survival - the Roman empire survived, and so, in all probability, will the West today."

Heh. See my last post.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:36 am
Fedral wrote:
'Win' the war?

Perhaps not, but I believe we can make it so costly for our enemies to conduct such a war against us that the frequency of attacks drops off to almost nothing.

This pre-supposes that terrorists are willing to stop attacking America because it is too 'costly' - either in terms of lives or money. On the contrary, terrorists have demonstrated that they are willing to attack us as long as they are physically capable of doing so, regardless of the human or economic toll.

Quote:
I haven't seen any reports of terrorist attacks against targets in America since the attack on Afghanistan and Iraq so our current course must be having some effect on the terrorist networks.

This means nothing.

How many reports of "terrorist attacks against targets in America" were there in the five years previous to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 05:35 am
How can we win a war against Islamist terror?

In the same way that any war is won - by depriving the enemy of the hope of victory.

The Moslem world has awakened to the discovery of its relative backwardness after several centuries of exploitation and misrule at the hands of Europeans. This engenders a spectrum of reactions, which can be illustrated by a desire for modernism and western-style economic and political development on one pole and a somewhat fanatical desire to recapture old glories through a restoration of Islamist rule and jihad against the west on the other. Our war is with the latter extreme. We can win it by taking actions to (1) contain the extremists and their terror, and (2) seeing to it that the first group wins the contest for the new leadership of the Moslem world.

With this in mind it is possible to grasp the essence of the Bush administration's strategy. Iraq is, by virtue of history and culture, the one Moslem state with the greatest potential for successful modern economic and political development. A change in Iraq can profoundly affect the future direction of development in Iran, Saudi Arabia and therefore the whole Middle East.

It is merely ironic that Europe, after creating this mess, is so inclined to criticize us for attempting to deal with it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:56 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
That is a scary proposition. I've heard that fear before, and it is reasonable, but I've seen no evidence of it thus far... I don't believe we're creating more terrorists than we're destroying.

Read this and tell me if you still feel that way:

Quote:
Widi, 17, says he wants to be an Islamic leader when he graduates from Al Mukmin school in Solo, and he's well on his way. In a small classroom with windows steamed up from humidity, Widi talks about his views on Indonesia, Islam, and his education at the school some experts refer to as the "Harvard of suicide bombers""there's also a Yale, a Princeton, and a Columbia."
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:16 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
How can we win a war against Islamist terror?

Thank you for falling into the trap I mentioned above. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
In the same way that any war is won - by depriving the enemy of the hope of victory.

What would eb victory? I don't think there will be tank battles, etc....

Quote:
The Moslem world has awakened to the discovery of its relative backwardness after several centuries of exploitation and misrule at the hands of Europeans.

What a wonderful example of American and Western exceptionalist thinking. The truly backward are thise who acuse others of backwardness.

Quote:
This engenders a spectrum of reactions, which can be illustrated by a desire for modernism and western-style economic and political development on one pole and a somewhat fanatical desire to recapture old glories through a restoration of Islamist rule and jihad against the west on the other.

Or perhaps a desire to enter the technological and commercial sphere without having to swallow an idelogy that they disagree with, like assumiong they are "backward."

Quote:
Our war is with the latter extreme. We can win it by taking actions to (1) contain the extremists and their terror, and (2) seeing to it that the first group wins the contest for the new leadership of the Moslem world.

And it has worked so well with the current strategy of suppoprting totalitarian rulers, hasn't it?

Quote:
With this in mind it is possible to grasp the essence of the Bush administration's strategy.

Kill 'em all and steal their stuff.

Quote:
Iraq is, by virtue of history and culture, the one Moslem state with the greatest potential for successful modern economic and political development.

I would actually place Iran or Indonesia in that position instead.

Quote:
A change in Iraq can profoundly affect the future direction of development in Iran, Saudi Arabia and therefore the whole Middle East.

We'll never know, will we? Instead we have radicalized the population and made a new enemy.

Quote:
It is merely ironic that Europe, after creating this mess, is so inclined to criticize us for attempting to deal with it.

that would be the same Europe that, having history on its side, attempted to prevent us from making this mess?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 12:48 pm
Thanks, Hobitbob!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:07 pm
PDiddie wrote:

Yes, I do. I do thank you for your information, but: It provides no evidence that we are creating more enemies than we are destroying. I concede that this war is certainly creating some enemies, but I do not believe we are upside-down in that category.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot for a minute shall we? Do you think the attack on the World Trade Center created more enemies than it destroyed?

The World Trade Center was not a legitimate military target. The victims of that attack were made up many races, many cultures and were certainly not organized there to plan attacks on anyone. They were innocent bystanders who were attacked for no reason other than the shock value of the deed itself. This, my friends, is a terrorist act.

By contrast, the attack on the pentagon was a brilliantly conceived strategy to inflict harm on a legitimate military target. In this attack; the innocent victims would fall into the category of "collateral damage". Since the target itself is of strategic military importance, I would not consider this to be a terrorist act, but rather a brilliantly executed military strategy. Do you see the difference?

I do not think terrorists are mindless hateful creatures who desire carnage and live to hate.
I believe they are highly motivated individuals who must have some rationale for believing that their actions are justified. While I don't fully understand the motivations of every terrorist movement; I have to assume that they have legitimate reasons for being angry. In some cases they may be absolutely right. Being right however; doesn't justify the strategically meaningless slaughter of innocents.

I've heard mention of international policy violations in our attacks. I'm not convinced any consequential violations have occurred on our part. I am certain our enemies have violated these rules of engagement to the point they deserve no protections from same. I submit that our alleged violations are petty when compared to theirs.

Now if the United States is your sworn enemy for legitimate reasons, you are well within your rights to defend yourself and attack legitimate targets. However; if you believe every member of the United State's civilian population is a legitimate target, than you are a terrorist, who needs to be destroyed. I do not support the annihilation of any nation's population. I do support the annihilation of any group whose mission is. Do you see the difference?

Random attacks on bus stops, cafés, nightclubs and any other target devoid of strategic military importance; fall into the category of terrorism. My morality or lack thereof, allows me to believe the perpetrators of these acts should be destroyed. I will not shed a tear for these criminals, regardless of there cause.

Attacks on military bases, government offices and soldiers; fall into the category of resistance. I would not (necessarily) consider the perpetrators of these actions terrorists. My morality or lack thereof, forces me to believe these enemies should be afforded all of the protections of international rules of engagement.

I hope it is clear that; deductive reasoning, not stupidity, is the foundation for my beliefs. I'll happily debate the merit of my arguments, but only with those who recognize my right to believe the way I do. If you choose to quote me, please address the paragraphs, not the sentences. I have no interest in arguing for the sake of argument.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:42 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
PDiddie wrote:

Yes, I do. I do thank you for your information, but: It provides no evidence that we are creating more enemies than we are destroying.

How does PD's link not provide evidence for this. Did you actually read the article?

Quote:
I concede that this war is certainly creating some enemies, but I do not believe we are upside-down in that category.

OF course this "war" is creating enemies. Very few people are thankful for having their homes destroyed, their children killed, etc.....

Quote:
Let's put the shoe on the other foot for a minute shall we? Do you think the attack on the World Trade Center created more enemies than it destroyed?

I think it was a resounding success for al-Queda, because it prompted the US to do exactly what bin-Laden wished for: create and maintain an air of fear and distrust.

Quote:
The World Trade Center was not a legitimate military target.

Sure it was. It was a centre of international finance.

Quote:
The victims of that attack were made up many races, many cultures and were certainly not organized there to plan attacks on anyone.

So?

Quote:
They were innocent bystanders who were attacked for no reason other than the shock value of the deed itself.

Or, they were legitimate targets engaged in economic warfare against those whom bin-Laden claims to represent.

Quote:
This, my friends, is a terrorist act.

Or a legitimate military strike.

Quote:
By contrast, the attack on the pentagon was a brilliantly conceived strategy to inflict harm on a legitimate military target.

Okay so far....

Quote:
In this attack; the innocent victims would fall into the category of "collateral damage".

Dead is still dead, regardless of how the living spin it.

Quote:
Since the target itself is of strategic military importance, I would not consider this to be a terrorist act, but rather a brilliantly executed military strategy. Do you see the difference?

And I have pointed out how both can be considered legitimate targets.

Quote:
I do not think terrorists are mindless hateful creatures who desire carnage and live to hate.

No, and you are unusual among americans in this aspect.

Quote:
I believe they are highly motivated individuals who must have some rationale for believing that their actions are justified.

stating the obvious.

Quote:
While I don't fully understand the motivations of every terrorist movement; I have to assume that they have legitimate reasons for being angry.

Again, so far you are being correct, but:

Quote:
In some cases they may be absolutely right. Being right however; doesn't justify the strategically meaningless slaughter of innocents.

But you have said exactly the opposite regarding the deaths of Iraqis and Afghans at the hands of the US, and Palestinians at the hands of the Israelis. Which is it?

Quote:
I've heard mention of international policy violations in our attacks. I'm not convinced any consequential violations have occurred on our part.

The website for Human Rights Watch has a fairly detailed list.

Quote:
I am certain our enemies have violated these rules of engagement to the point they deserve no protections from same. I submit that our alleged violations are petty when compared to theirs.

Faulty reasoning. "He's worse than me," is not a legitimate reason.

Quote:
Now if the United States is your sworn enemy for legitimate reasons, you are well within your rights to defend yourself and attack legitimate targets.

Which is why the insurgencies in Iraq and afghanistan are legitimate wars against a hostile oppressor.

Quote:
However; if you believe every member of the United State's civilian population is a legitimate target, than you are a terrorist, who needs to be destroyed.

Poorly developed arguement. See above.

Quote:
I do not support the annihilation of any nation's population. I do support the annihilation of any group whose mission is. Do you see the difference?

But lacking a super zippy mind reading device to know who supports and who opposes the US, the differences are meaningless.

Quote:
Random attacks on bus stops, cafés, nightclubs and any other target devoid of strategic military importance; fall into the category of terrorism.

So why should the Israeli attacks on apartment buildings not fall into the same category? What about the US cruise missile that destroyed the restaraunt and killed 14 people at the beginning of GW II? Your arguments lack consistency.

Quote:
My morality or lack thereof, allows me to believe the perpetrators of these acts should be destroyed. I will not shed a tear for these criminals, regardless of there cause.

Again, too many steven seagal movies.

Quote:
Attacks on military bases, government offices and soldiers; fall into the category of resistance. I would not (necessarily) consider the perpetrators of these actions terrorists.

But you have in other threads, which is it?

Quote:
My morality or lack thereof, forces me to believe these enemies should be afforded all of the protections of international rules of engagement.

Including protecting the civillian population from attack, and the prevention of reprisal attacks by occupiers?

Quote:
I hope it is clear that; deductive reasoning, not stupidity, is the foundation for my beliefs.

I don't see much use of deductive reasoning. I don't know you, so I couldn't say whether you are stupid or not. I doubt it.

Quote:
I'll happily debate the merit of my arguments, but only with those who recognize my right to believe the way I do.

I don't know that anyone here has denied you this right. I disagree with you, but you are welcome to hold any opinions you feel like having.

Quote:
If you choose to quote me, please address the paragraphs, not the sentences. I have no interest in arguing for the sake of argument.

As many others have found out before you, one cannot control the form of debate. One either plays, or leaves. As for argueing for the sake of arguing, there are those here who relish this activity. Interestingly enough, they all seem to be on your political side. Please remember that disagreement is not an insult. If you wish to avoid disagreement, I'm sure that there are far right, "war is fun" forums out there.
0 Replies